Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2004-11-04, 00:59   Link #81
hooliganj
Team Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by kj1980
Nah. There are no oil deposits in the DPRK. Most likely would be Iran.
As an interesting note, my grandfather has reminded me that any action we take against North Korea, no matter how justified, would violate the cease fire that ended the Korean War (or at least put it on pause), and China would be obligated to get involved on the side of the Koreans. I don't think anybody, least of all China, wants that to happen again, but that's how the papers play out.
hooliganj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-04, 01:05   Link #82
Mr_Paper
Hmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aahhsin
Africa has no troops. I would think Africa will go fight the US instead (Except for S. Africa). Let's see who might help.

The British, the Danes, Italians. Russians, Japanese, Australians. Isrealis. Canadians. (Why Canadians learn US History is beyond me).
There would have to be something very large happening in order to get the Canadians to help, seriously. As a people, for the most part, we're rather tired of being roped into baseless conflicts by the US government which is why when asked to help with the Iraq war effort, we flat out refused. Now it's had some undesirable side effects (ie: Bush wont open the border to live cattle exports) but Canadians generally want nothing to do with American conflicts. We're very much happy to continue acting only as UN Peacekeepers.

Why do we learn about American history? Our educational system desires the students to have a wide understanding of the world. To that end we also study Asian (Japanese, Chinese), Austrailian, Indian, African (just about the whole continent), Middle Eastern, Mediterrainian (Greek, Roman, Otoman Empire, Egyptian, etc..), European (French, German, British, Spanish, Russian), Central American (mostly Mexico) and South American (Brazilian and Argentinian) history on top of American and Canadian history. That is assuming your schools are somewhat well funded, if not you end up focusing on North American, European and general world history.
Mr_Paper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-04, 01:22   Link #83
NinjaServ

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyjellyfish
Awww, you're just still bitter about that whole watch thing, aren't you? Let it go, man. Let it go.
bitter? about what? bitter than you were wrong? wouldn't that be YOUR job?
NinjaServ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-04, 01:24   Link #84
Thelastguardian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Paper
We're very much happy to continue acting only as UN Peacekeepers.
This is just a delusion most Canadian held. Long past from the day when Pearson led the world peace :| .

Do you know that Canadian arm forces only has 60,000 personnel (US has ~2 million)? And they only cover 11 countries out of UN's countless needs? And their supplies are so outdated that no one dares to use them? (Sea King heli., secondhand sub, older-than-my-dad armor transporter, etc.)
Seriously, for UN, even countries from Africa sends more troops than Canada.

Also with so little troops, even Congo would win if they decide to invade Canada (US not helping of course).

GDP wise Canadian has the lowest "GDP to humanitian supply ratio" out of the world's seven most industrialize countries.

Yet Canadians dare to call themselve "leader of world peace". This kind of self-attitude just makes me feel preplex and ashame.

Rule without force is impotent.

Last edited by Thelastguardian; 2004-11-04 at 01:34. Reason: correcting the numbers
Thelastguardian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-04, 01:53   Link #85
Enron
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Paper
The thing is, Kerry didn't need to concede when he did. He could have still won if he only waited for the absentee, military and provisional votes to be counted.

By conceding when he did, he effectively threw away the election.
I can't believe im even getting into this discussion on animesuki of all places.....but the absentee/provisional ballots would likely hold true to the rest of the vote in ohio, and the military votes are typically 2:1 or GREATER for republicans. There was no way Kerry could have won ohio unless he picked up nearly ALL of the provisionals, and there was no way that was going to happen and he knew it.
Enron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-04, 01:56   Link #86
Enron
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexander
It's going to be a glorious moment when Bush announces the draft.
This is such BS. There's not going to be any draft. It's merely a scare tactic used by the Kerry campaign.

There WAS legislation brought before the House that would have instituted a national draft and service obligations.....and guess who it was brought by? That's right folks, a democrat. Charlie Rangel of NY and one of the two biggest jackholes in Congress, Mr. Lewis from Ga.

The only people that WANT a draft are democrats. And left-wing racially motivated whacko congressmen, at that.
Enron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-04, 02:24   Link #87
Fel
Clean up princess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enron
This is such BS. There's not going to be any draft. It's merely a scare tactic used by the Kerry campaign.

There WAS legislation brought before the House that would have instituted a national draft and service obligations.....and guess who it was brought by? That's right folks, a democrat. Charlie Rangel of NY and one of the two biggest jackholes in Congress, Mr. Lewis from Ga.

The only people that WANT a draft are democrats. And left-wing racially motivated whacko congressmen, at that.
Well, judging solely by your nick and avatar, I'm going to assume that you are an impartial and unbiased observer, who would never stoop to partisan rhetoric, and whose word I can completely trust to be as honest and forthright as Wang Cheney's .

:fingers: :fingers: :fingers: :fingers: :fingers: :fingers: :fingers:
Fel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-04, 02:43   Link #88
hooliganj
Team Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thelastguardian
Rule without force is impotent.
Rule without force is ideal.
hooliganj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-04, 02:55   Link #89
Thelastguardian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooliganj
Rule without force is ideal.
Yes it is ideal, thats all. Just look at the League of Nations. Fat lot of good they did.

If you want to use anime as an example, you should look no further than Gundam Wing: The "peaceful" country headed by one of the last Peacecraft member. Look at how it ends up
Old 2004-11-04, 03:09   Link #90
Ero-Sannin

Send a message via MSN to Ero-Sannin
I am not american but I have to post this, any of you notice how bin laden's video surfaced right around the elctions ?
Ero-Sannin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-04, 03:26   Link #91
Sanjuronord
セクシーなパイロット

Iran and North Korea aren't really an issue for the time being. Our military is already tapped in Iraq, we're not getting out of there for years probably. So hopefully someone else will have to take the initiative in solving those problems which is probably a good thing. Hopefully the rest of the world will have picked up on the fact that for the next four years the US (government/military anyways, civilian groups will be) isn't going to be of much help to anybody.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaServ
bitter? about what? bitter than you were wrong? wouldn't that be YOUR job?
Sounds like somebody needs a hug. A big burly man hug.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enron
Even if it's a scare tactic (which is stupid coming from an obvious "vote for us or the terrorists will get you" Bush supporter) that doesn't make it false. A draft is more likely under Bush than Kerry.
Sanjuronord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-04, 04:35   Link #92
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ero-Sannin
I am not american but I have to post this, any of you notice how bin laden's video surfaced right around the elctions ?
Of course. It's not as though anyone thought that was a coincidence.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-04, 05:07   Link #93
Shay
Monarch Programmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanjuronord
Iran and North Korea aren't really an issue for the time being. Our military is already tapped in Iraq, we're not getting out of there for years probably. So hopefully someone else will have to take the initiative in solving those problems which is probably a good thing. Hopefully the rest of the world will have picked up on the fact that for the next four years the US (government/military anyways, civilian groups will be) isn't going to be of much help to anybody.
Hey! Don't go passing the buck. If you start something you better damn well finish it.

*Runs*
Current Album - Vessel by Twenty One Pilots
Shay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-04, 05:21   Link #94
tanuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ero-Sannin
The timing was probably intentional. Compared to the media coverage of events in Iraq, US military action in Afghanistan is barely mentioned. Osama must have been feeling neglected and wanted to remind everyone that no, he wasn't living impaired and yes, he was still a threat to the US. But with the release of the video so close to people going to the polls to vote, it caught the candidates by suprise and neither had an opportunity to use it to their advantage in swaying voters.
tanuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-04, 07:50   Link #95
Scrumhalf
Ed & Winry? :O

Send a message via MSN to Scrumhalf
Bush wins the United States, but not the world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sepiraph
Bush won, the world lost.
Scrumhalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-04, 08:52   Link #96
Umbrae
Generic Human

I feel like america ramed somthing vile into my mouth, after four years when I got used to the taste, they told me I liked it and left it there.

This president stole the election, thought tricker and brute force. Has been areguably the worst president in history. Started 2 wars, one of which is was "over" nearly a year ago, has gone over the projected "rebuild" time more than once, and is starting to look live vietnam part 2. The only reason his party backed him for the office to start with was because he is named after his father. A former, decent president.

Some how, this is what is able to get re-elected. In a close race at that. After all the controversy, he still wins. I find it amazing and terrible at the same time.

So any one know a nice computer job in canada that could use a network geek with over 5 years experiance?
Umbrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-04, 09:02   Link #97
Thany
Unfair

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa
Of course. It's not as though anyone thought that was a coincidence.
We could also notice how the Black people were prevented to vote where Bush's brother was governing.
Like the vote 4 years back, his brother helped him to win California, this is obvious.
Old 2004-11-04, 09:20   Link #98
LynnieS

Bush is also a known factor when compared to Kerry. The other countries are, IMHO, irrelevant to the voters; people everywhere are shortsighted to some degree and tend to concentrate on their own worries. Granted, Bush is, perhaps not the sharpest blade in the woodshed, but people do know - or think they know - the kind of person he is. I can't help but think that some (a lot?) of the fencesitters who voted for him wanted someone who won't confuse the issue in times of crisis. It's a bit comforting, to be honest, when people are worried and concerned. My 2 cents.

It also doesn't help that the conservative religious groups looked to have outpulled the Democrats' teams of liberals. Their showing in the Southern states don't look good at all either; it looks like only Florida's margins were less than 10% separating the two candidates. I would have thought that Edwards would have helped somewhat. The Democrats will just have to do better in 2008, and not just in the Northeast region.

Cute map of the world BTW. It should, I suspect, have Israel, Russia and Japan as red as well, though. Possibly Taiwan, but that's a bit of a toss-up with Powell(?)'s statement earlier.

Currently listening: Nadda
Currently reading: Procrastination for the win!
Currently playing: "Quest of D", "Border Break" and "Gundam Senjou no Kizuna".
Waiting for: "Shining Force Cross"!
LynnieS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-04, 09:37   Link #99
evil|plushie
The Last Frontier

The thing I don't understand is this. People always say they want to go with the 'devil they know rather than the one they don't' but Bush?!!? At the very least if they didn't think they could support Kerry, have they FORGOTTEN there are SEVERAL other candidates they could have voted for other than Bush?

http://sining83.blogspot.com
evil|plushie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-04, 10:04   Link #100
HK anime seeker
Looks fun...Time to jump!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrumhalf
How true that the Americans don't see that the greatest terriost lies on homesoil not outside. What country will he invade next? Hong Kong? Because he suspects that bootleg anime is used to fund terriorst cells all over the world?

(Well Hong Kong is the SAR is its real wanked up so I'll treat it as a country because China doesn't have definite control)
HK anime seeker is offline   Reply With Quote