AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2008-03-10, 00:57   Link #1
Eclipze

Batman: Gotham Knight

I'm not exactly a big fan of Batman, but this caught my attention:

Simply put: The people in charge of the project have decided to collaborate with Japanese anime directors/artists to produce this 6-story animation feature. Instead of purely being animated in "anime" style, there is a combination of both sides (DC style and anime style).

Discuss.
Eclipze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-10, 01:00   Link #2
The Chaos
ǾΝΈ ΡЇΈÇΈ is the Best !!

I Saw That on The Internet ..Will I Hope It Gonna Be Good..
Old 2008-03-10, 02:06   Link #3
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Thanks for the promo. Here's some more info.
Old 2008-03-10, 02:40   Link #4
Z3120

I expect great things from this. I'm still 50/50 on Animatrix.
Z3120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-12, 13:20   Link #5
SneakerPimp

New Quicktime (HD) Trailer without Interviews:
480p: http://playlist.yahoo.com/makeplayli...&sdm=web&pt=rd
720p: http://playlist.yahoo.com/makeplayli...&sdm=web&pt=rd
1080p: http://playlist.yahoo.com/makeplayli...&sdm=web&pt=rd

Use right-click -> Save Links as... anything.mov
SneakerPimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-12, 22:45   Link #6
Tri-ring

Watching the initial interview, I am under the impression that the American executive producers had not given enough room for the Japanese anime directors to really control of how they wanted to play with it.
What they were talking about was basically how the western world perceives anime and not how Japanese would percieve it.
What I would really like to know if it was a true collaboration or just slaped on a name for the sake to draw attention?
Tri-ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-12, 23:24   Link #7
Tommy
Mr. Prince

So what Japanese studio is working on this? I was never a fan of the western animation for Batman.

Edit- Looks like they actually only hired some Japanese directors to help Warner Bros animation.

Last edited by Tommy; 2008-04-13 at 00:01.
Tommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-18, 12:39   Link #8
ChibiGoku
FightingMagic Founder

This'll make some people happy.

The R1 DVD release, as well as the Blu-ray release, will contain a 5.1 Japanese Audio track. The DVD also lists "Japanese" subtitles, so I'm not sure if it's referring to the subtitles being in Japanese, or if they'll actually be translated from the japanese audio track.
ChibiGoku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-29, 11:23   Link #9
Tommy
Mr. Prince

Just watched Gotham Knight and it's pretty good, by the end of each short story I found myself longing for a longer feature of it.

It would be pretty cool if they could do a tv series of mini arcs for this.

It's hard to choose a favorite but I think mine is either In Darkness Dwells or Deadshot.

It's also really hard to choose a favorite batman character design. I really like the Batman from Crossfire and I think the design from In Darkness Dwells really suits the character and style of Batman, but also the Deadshot design is really polished and awesome looking.
Tommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-10, 16:18   Link #10
KidKaz

Batman Gotham Knight

I've Just finished watching Batman Gotham Knight and I thought it was amazing. the stories were sick, the animations were the best I've seen in recent years. The action was awesome. And best of all, Kevin Conroy returns as the voice of Batman. I you've seen the movie, I would like to hear your opinions.
Old 2008-07-10, 16:27   Link #11
xris
Just call me Ojisan

Since this is a Warner Bros series the thread is now moved to General Chat (where such threads reside).
xris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-10, 20:40   Link #12
GuidoHunter_Toki
Wiggle Your Big Toe

Just saw it and it exceeded my expectations. I loved all the different styles used and the each story was interesting in its own way. My favorite was In Darkness Dwells. Reminded me a lot of Animatrix.
GuidoHunter_Toki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-10, 22:39   Link #13
Nemu

It seems sorta interesting..

Signature by ganbaru
Nemu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-10, 22:58   Link #14
Kana Futayo
is not amused
*Graphic Designer

I like the designs on "3:26-3:31".
Looks interesting with the crossover designs of anime and dc.
I'm looking forward to it.
Old 2008-07-11, 04:19   Link #15
tigerwoods

Send a message via MSN to tigerwoods
I watched it a couple of days ago, it is a good movie, but I think the best part is the first one animated by Studio 4°C, that was amazing.

I also appreciated the fact that they tried to show us Batman from different perspectives and angles. Good job, though not a masterpiece.
Old 2008-07-11, 10:21   Link #16
Rurik
Golden

I watched some pieces of the series, the animation is very nice, but the best thing of all, Kevin Conroy is reprising his role as the voice actor for Bat-Man/Bruce Wayne. I however, I didn’t notice none of the archenemies of Bat-Man, rather, random bad guys.
Old 2008-07-12, 04:47   Link #17
Waking_Dreamer
Dreamer King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rurik View Post
I watched some pieces of the series, the animation is very nice, but the best thing of all, Kevin Conroy is reprising his role as the voice actor for Bat-Man/Bruce Wayne. I however, I didn’t notice none of the archenemies of Bat-Man, rather, random bad guys.
Agreed. I dont think it could have been any better if someone else was to voice Batman. I think these stories take place before Dark Knight, so its about Batman making a reputation for himself..leading up to the Joker challenging him in the sequel movie.

Im surprised no one has mentioned, "Working Through Pain" as a favourite. I like how it opens up part of Batman's past, and is probably the one that most deals with the characters psychology. Perhaps because people here are not too into Batman, but the ending of that scene with all the guns in his arms - is just truly powerful.
Waking_Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-12, 05:02   Link #18
TrueKnight

Good series and a worth to watch. I'd like to categorize some things:
- For story I like the first one, the multiple angles are amusing to watch, not to mention its the last kid who is actually a 'winner'.
- For the character design of Bruce Wayne, definitely the 'Field Test', yeah he's a bishounen in that one but its actually pleasing to see Bruce in that art. The only bad thing about Field Test is that so less girl designs. It'll be perfect if they could atleast present us with a moe bishoujo. -_-;
- For the Batman design and art, I'm torn between the 2nd and the Dead Shot ones. But I guess I'll go for the 2nd one. Batman looked so badass while walking through the flames.
- For the action, definitely the one with Dead Shot, though the Scare Crow part also decent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walking Dreamer
Im surprised no one has mentioned, "Working Through Pain" as a favourite. I like how it opens up part of Batman's past, and is probably the one that most deals with the characters psychology. Perhaps because people here are not too into Batman, but the ending of that scene with all the guns in his arms - is just truly powerful.
Eh, maybe because they don't like emos..? I mean Bruce is basicly an emo, but I dunno. That part is also good, but seems like some of us liked to see Batman kicking ass instead being an emo bucket. I mean hey it's just me....
TrueKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-12, 07:48   Link #19
Waking_Dreamer
Dreamer King

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueKnight View Post
Good series and a worth to watch. I'd like to categorize some things:

Eh, maybe because they don't like emos..? I mean Bruce is basicly an emo, but I dunno. That part is also good, but seems like some of us liked to see Batman kicking ass instead being an emo bucket. I mean hey it's just me....
Hmm.... I see you have a point, I mean his parents were just shot right in front of his face with out him being able to jack shit about it - but hey Bruce you should lighten up and be more sunshine and rainbows, because OBVIOUSLY your whole kicking ass nature would be so much better if it werent revolving around your "emo" past...

I mean Batman movies 3 and 4 were meant to revolve just around the kicking ass aspect of Batman and we all know how good those moive were . While Batman Begins actually tried to incorporate the psychological aspect of the man behind the mask..but geez I dont think anyone wanted to see that now...

BTW because of this being the internet, just in case people missed it - my post was filled with sarcasm.
Waking_Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-13, 01:27   Link #20
Papaya
Sup

Send a message via AIM to Papaya Send a message via MSN to Papaya
Ugh. I'm a pretty big Batman fan (dad gave me a Batman action figure when I came to the States when I was 5, and loved him ever since). I thought the compilation was atrocious.

-The segments were all too short. There was very little room for plot development.
-The character development was way too in-your-face and obvious. Batman Begins was pretty subtle in the way it handled Bruce Wayne. Gotham Knight... not so much.
-Choppy animation. The lip syncing is terrible... worse than dubbed anime it seemed. The mouths were just very choppy.
-The different styles were neat, but bishie Bruce Wayne was just kind of off. Very off, actually. I think most people will agree that the Deadshot segment was the most visually--and in general--appealing.

I don't know. I was expecting more out of this. A lot more. When I saw it, I was thinking--wow, anime looks better than this. It's looked better than this since a few years ago = /
Papaya is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kemonomimi