AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Umineko

Notices

Old 2010-12-18, 21:51   Link #19921
Renall
BUY MY BOOK!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ssol View Post
Don't forget the final one regarding Beatrice's heart:

EP4 Who...aaam I......?
Illusions... to illusions. ......The promised reaper lowers the curtains on the tale regardless of the witch's will.

And yeah, we may never know the true answers to some of these riddles due to ambiguity.
A thought on reinterpreting that one:

"It doesn't matter who you are. It doesn't matter what you want to know. Someone has shut this story up and now who you are is determined by what people say about you."

Kind of a nihilistic thought, but it ties in to the other conclusion he raises about a cat box's truth. Taken from a "not the culprit" angle, it could mean that the problem with the story was caused by an external force (the true culprit or something).
This story is a redacted confession.

Blog (VN DL) - YouTube Playlists
Battler Solves The Logic Error
Renall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-18, 21:55   Link #19922
LyricalAura
Dea ex Kakera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Poo View Post
EP4 9th twilight (final riddle)
Earth to earth. Illusions to illusions. ......When fiction is shut up inside a cat box, it becomes truth.

This is a long shot, but I think Will is basically saying that the very reason of this cat box is the final explosion that will kill everyone. That alone should explain Beatrice's last riddle.
It could be saying that Battler really was killed by Beatrice in the EP4 fiction, even though he was actually alone on the island on R-Prime. Sort of an earlier version of Kanon's disappearance from EP6.
Old 2010-12-18, 21:57   Link #19923
Cao Ni Ma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titanguy654 View Post
Is that so? Then thanks for the confirmation, Will, disregarding the fact that it doesn't prove how the closed room was set. What was the point of him answering in riddles, again?
You answer riddles with more riddles, its how you prove you understand the essence of whats going on. But really if they where dead and there where no illusions then the door must have been locked and the people where dead. So one of them committed suicide after killing the others and locking the door? Kinda anti-climatic.

e- I also dont get the last twilights in EP1. I never felt that this was a closed room since Maria was in it, their deaths where declared in red (kinda unless those three refer to other three, poor form if true) and someone had to walk out of the room to meet with Nats later and that someone probably had keys sooooo
Cao Ni Ma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-18, 22:00   Link #19924
Teapot

Send a message via MSN to Teapot
Quote:
Is that so? Then thanks for the confirmation, Will, disregarding the fact that it doesn't prove how the closed room was set. What was the point of him answering in riddles, again?
All we got from that scene were confirmations of when people were really dead,when people faked their deaths and that the fantasy scenes were obvious lies, I guess whatever methods the fans make of how the crimes went down will satisfy Ryukishi....
Teapot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-18, 22:04   Link #19925
Arachanox
Trust the red.

Quote:
So we aren't spoonfed the answers. Didn't Ryukishi say he wanted to avoid that?

I'm sure the community has a reputable answer for practically ever mystery. Simply apply Shkannontrice (the key) and unlock every mystery (sort of like how Featherine was saying).

If you personally dislike Shkannon, feel free to speculate further on the matter. At this point I've accepted it.

edit: I'm not saying Shkannon solves everything, simply some of the mysteries. But I'm sure that in these 997 pages there is a good answer for every individual mystery.
Arachanox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-18, 22:07   Link #19926
Renall
BUY MY BOOK!!!

Not necessary to solve any of the mysteries. Fake deaths are closer to the key than anything.
This story is a redacted confession.

Blog (VN DL) - YouTube Playlists
Battler Solves The Logic Error
Renall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-18, 22:09   Link #19927
Titanguy654

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arachanox View Post
So we aren't spoonfed the answers. Didn't Ryukishi say he wanted to avoid that?

I'm sure the community has a reputable answer for practically ever mystery. Simply apply Shkannontrice (the key) and unlock every mystery (sort of like how Featherine was saying).

If you personally dislike Shkannon, feel free to speculate further on the matter. At this point I've accepted it.

edit: I'm not saying Shkannon solves everything, simply some of the mysteries. But I'm sure that in these 997 pages there is a good answer for every individual mystery.
I understand Ryukishi's motive for doing that, but why did Will do it in context with the story?
Titanguy654 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-18, 22:12   Link #19928
Teapot

Send a message via MSN to Teapot
It's Beato's funeral bro, they had to celebrate with one last "reasoning fight", like the ones Ep 2 and 3
Teapot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-18, 23:38   Link #19929
AuraTwilight
The True Culprit

Send a message via AIM to AuraTwilight Send a message via MSN to AuraTwilight
Because saying things in a straightforward manner means Featherine and the other Observer Witches get the answers without thinking, which is exactly what they DON'T want. Therefore, Bern would probably have a fit.
Old 2010-12-18, 23:51   Link #19930
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Nobody is asking Will to say things in a straightforward manner, but he still needs to provide an answer that it's an answer.
He basically is supposed to give an answer in the form of a riddle, however some answers not only aren't really good as riddles since their meaning is quite apparent, they do not provide any answer at all, or they aren't really pertinent to what he's supposed to answer.

I think he did quite well for EP1 and EP2, but after that it seems he doesn't even bother anymore.

Jan-Poo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-19, 01:05   Link #19931
AuraTwilight
The True Culprit

Send a message via AIM to AuraTwilight Send a message via MSN to AuraTwilight
Clair understood him. That's really the only person he has to answer to.

...That, or we're misunderstanding what Will's actually saying.
Old 2010-12-19, 02:46   Link #19932
Kylon99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Poo View Post
Oh I will do that! I wanted to do it anyway. Here we go:
Thanks for the analysis. I kinda did it in my head too but was too lazy to write it down. 8) For the most part I totally agree with what you said, but maybe there's two things I can add that will give some insight:

So, for the most part I took it to mean that 'illusions' meant that people were just lying about a murder having actually occurred. And when they lie, it's usually to do with the Epitaph game where people pretend they're dead. However for 'earth' I take it to mean that a real murder occurred; like an unplanned situation.

Now, I'm thinking that what Will says is only relevant to Clair/Beatrice. i.e. when he says, 'illusion' it means what the people set up to begin with. It doesn't mean that the situation stays like that; the people could eventually be murdered on the spot or murdered elsewhere after they move about. Will's only concern was the initial starting point that Beatrice set up. So...

Spoiler for Long:

Last edited by Kylon99; 2010-12-19 at 03:10.
Kylon99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-19, 02:50   Link #19933
rogerpepitone

Send a message via Yahoo to rogerpepitone
Quote:
Shannon killed George and Godha, then killed herself.

Perhaps "Illusion to illusion" means that piece-Battler has accepted the word of a liar as a key part of making the crime work. Earth to earth means Battler has an accurate understanding of the crime / crime scene. That is:
E1T1: Hideyoshi (why?) and Kanon -- Shannon wasn't there
E1T2: Genji and Kanon -- chain wasn't set
E1T4: Natsuhi -- met Kinzo in the study
E1T5: Nanjo (Jessica could have been fooled) -- Kanon died
E1T678: unsure -- tape recording of Maria to give Shkannon some extra time?

E2T1: Rosa (why?), Gohda (why?), Genji, Kanon, Shannon, Nanjo
E2T2: Rosa (why?), Shannon, Genji - existence of Kanon? Shannon's alibi?
E2T456: -- There weren't any real lies here. The door really was locked, and they really were dead inside.
E2T78: Gohda (why?), Shannon, Genji --Illusion to illusion refers to the zombie attack and disappearance; earth to earth refers to the real crime scene.

E3T1: Hideyoshi (why?), Nanjo? -- Shannon's body is explicitly mentioned as being behind a sofa
E3T2: -- again, no lies here
and so on
rogerpepitone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-19, 02:59   Link #19934
Zero Sora

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerpepitone
Perhaps "Illusion to illusion" means that piece-Battler has accepted the word of a liar as a key part of making the crime work. Earth to earth means Battler has an accurate understanding of the crime / crime scene. That is:
Except this whole thing was about how well Will understood Clair. It had nothing to do with Battler's understanding of the murders.
Zero Sora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-19, 03:48   Link #19935
rogerpepitone

Let me rephrase that: "how well piece-Battler / other characters not in on the crime understood the scenes at the time".

For example, Battler understands E1T1 as "Six corpses (Krauss, Rudolf, Kyrie, Rosa, Shannon, Gohda) were in the shed."; it's actually "Five corpses were in the shed."
Old 2010-12-19, 03:59   Link #19936
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerpepitone View Post
Shannon killed George and Godha, then killed herself.
How did she drive a (sharp) paperweight into her skull?
Tyabann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-19, 04:12   Link #19937
rogerpepitone

The paperweight wasn't in her skull; it was next to the skull.
Old 2010-12-19, 04:18   Link #19938
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerpepitone View Post
The paperweight wasn't in her skull; it was next to the skull.
I seem to remember the stake falling out of the hole in her head, but whatever.

In that case, how did she kill herself? If it was a gun, where did the gun go?
Tyabann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-19, 05:54   Link #19939
Cao Ni Ma

An elaborate contraption that involved a pair of glasses, a handkerchief, a rope and a gun
Cao Ni Ma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-19, 07:44   Link #19940
TehChron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cao Ni Ma View Post
An elaborate contraption that involved a pair of glasses, a handkerchief, a rope and a gun
Have you ever seen that one Family Guy episode where Brian explains gravity by tossing objects at Peter and watching them orbit his fat?

A similar trick was used.
TehChron is offline   Reply With Quote