Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-12-27, 07:40   Link #2141
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qilin View Post
In this case, I thought it to be an understandable thing to do. The thing about Kuro's dora hoarding power is that it stops working for a while the moment she discards a single dora like she did in that last hand against Teru. Thus Kuro, in her current state, cannot gather the dora, which would be a huge handicap in a normal match. As such, her only choice if she wants to survive against Teru a second time is to recover her power (by playing LOTS of games) in the event that they do make it to the finals.
How many hands did Kuro win off of Teru due to Kuro's dora power?

Anyway, I get why Harue did what she did here, but it just doesn't sit well with the pro sports fan in me. It honestly makes me think of a coach taking a star player into the locker room for specialized training while his team is still out there playing the game. But oh well.
Old 2012-12-27, 08:30   Link #2142
Qilin
Romanticist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
To be fair, she did indirectly slow down Teru's winning streaks by hoarding the dora, but yeah. It's a shame she couldn't do more, I guess.
Old 2012-12-27, 20:14   Link #2143
Kyuu
=^^=

Quote:
A single Baiman hand, which is quite hefty. In some games of mahjong, that would be enough to win.
Kyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-28, 11:35   Link #2144
aly_angelflight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuu View Post
A single Baiman hand, which is quite hefty. In some games of mahjong, that would be enough to win.
As long as you keep the lead with that single baiman, anyhow.
aly_angelflight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-28, 12:49   Link #2145
Kyuu
=^^=

Quote:
Originally Posted by himself
And nope. Not even a lead acquired with a yakuman was safe.
Old 2012-12-28, 14:46   Link #2146
Triple_R
*Author

The more I find myself impressed with Teru, the more my mind boggles at how she could disown her sister like she has. At this point, I'm inclined to think that Saki must have screwed up massively to turn Teru against her, and/or did something that Teru considered highly dishonorable.

But, in any event, I'm curious to know what my fellow Sakimaniacs would like to see happen with Saki and Teru. Here are a few options:

1) Subtle but powerful reunion. Accomplished at the mahjong table.

2) Very emotional and tearful reunion. Could be accomplished anywhere. Teru becomes like The Grinch - Her moe grows three times larger!

3) Teru refuses to make up with Saki. Lasting sibling rivalry; passionate ongoing feud tinged with hurt feelings that comes to the fore in mahjong match after mahjong match. The two siblings glare and subtly snark at one another.

4) Saki misses her opportunity to make up with Teru, partly since Saki loses her nerve to speak directly to Teru.

5)
Other (write-in option).
Old 2012-12-28, 16:24   Link #2147
The Green One

Saki doesn't seem to have it in her to get mad at Teru. Teru will probably continue to ignore her and Saki will look like a kicked puppy abandoned at the roadside in the pouring down rain.
The Green One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-28, 18:21   Link #2148
orangejuicetang

Actually, iirc in the ending sequence of Saki (main series), there was a scene where Saki encounters Teru and seems to say something, but Teru just ignores her and keeps walking away.

If a corrupt court will not behead an evil king, than the watchman should do it himself.
orangejuicetang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-28, 18:36   Link #2149
Qilin
Romanticist

Quote:
1) Subtle but powerful reunion. Accomplished at the mahjong table.
This is what I'm hoping for.

Neither Saki nor Teru seem like the kind of people who are good at communicating their feelings to other people. As such, I think it would be best if they expressed themselves in the best way they can, which I assume would be through mahjong. Anyway, we've already seen in this series how strong character interactions forego words, manifesting directly into the mahjong table. Some notable examples would be Achiga's desire to face Nodoka in the tournament, the vanguard match against Teru, and the Nagano captain match against Koromo.

But in this case, the eventual showdown would have to take place in the individual tournament as opposed to the group tournament.
Old 2012-12-28, 19:26   Link #2150
Kyuu
=^^=

Quote:
But, in any event, I'm curious to know what my fellow Sakimaniacs would like to see happen with Saki and Teru. Here are a few options:
Give me a complete all-out, no holds-barred, mahjong table bloodbath. If there's one thing I want to see -- their mahjong powers countering each other.
Old 2012-12-28, 23:04   Link #2151
The Green One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuu View Post
Give me a complete all-out, no holds-barred, mahjong table bloodbath. If there's one thing I want to see -- their mahjong powers countering each other.
It would be amusing to see the audience and announcer reactions in a Teru vs Saki match when Saki reflexively goes into child mode and uses her shut down tatics to +/- 0 Teru.
The Green One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-29, 01:02   Link #2152
RJ TAYLER

Teru and Saki are at the crossroads, one path leads down to the De Havilland (Olivia)/Fonteyn (Joan) route of a never ending squabble that only abates when a parent dies and thence that carries on to their nineties; the other is more of the Redgrave (Vanessa/Lynn) variety, a healthy competition based on mutual respect only parted by death of one. The time to chose runs out in this particular year I can feel.
Old 2012-12-29, 03:40   Link #2153
cexdonnr

the current arc is just from preliminary rounds
cexdonnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-29, 06:44   Link #2154
Kyuu
=^^=

Quote:
Originally Posted by cexdonnr View Post
the current arc is just from preliminary rounds
Dude, it's the semi-final to one side of the National bracket.
Old 2012-12-29, 17:17   Link #2155
Snuffle
likes cute things

Quote:
5) Other (write-in option).
Hmm, I would like to see something in the direction of how Saki is a threat to Teru's "weakness."
Snuffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-29, 21:12   Link #2156
felicitero

I still know close to nothing about mahjong
felicitero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-30, 00:45   Link #2157
Triple_R
*Author

Thanks to everyone for their answers on the Saki/Teru question. I think I'm leaning towards my first option myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by felicitero View Post
I still know close to nothing about mahjong
I still know very little about it. It's a pretty complex game from what I have gathered. It seems to be to poker what chess is to checkers.

It's honestly a testament to this narrative's strengths that Saki can be highly enjoyable even to those of us (like myself) who know very little about mahjong.
Old 2012-12-30, 00:56   Link #2158
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Send a message via ICQ to Myssa Rei Send a message via Yahoo to Myssa Rei
I think whether or not Teru and Saki can really come to an understanding boils down to the missing Miyanaga, and what happened to her.... Which is not within the scope of this thread, really.

At this point I'm interested in how the next episode will squeeze in Arata's chapter, as it's one of the heftiest yet for Achiga, at 81-odd pages.
Old 2012-12-30, 06:46   Link #2159
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
I still know very little about it.
My only problem understanding it are the winning conditions. There's just so damn many of them.

Would have been nice if there was some logical pattern to it.
Old 2012-12-30, 09:04   Link #2160
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix View Post
My only problem understanding it are the winning conditions. There's just so damn many of them.

Would have been nice if there was some logical pattern to it.
Yeah, that's the same for me too.

I once downloaded a mahjong game and played some games against AI opponents. Thanks to Saki herself, I know that it's good to have three/four of a kind. I also know that it's generally good to hoard up a lot of the same type of tile (bamboo, dora, etc...). So I do win the occasional hand through aiming for one or the other or both. But because of the plethora of winning conditions, I can't play "defensive mahjong" at all. Every mahjong game I play is basically me against three Stealth Momos. This is since I don't even bother paying attention to their discards as I have no hope of determining from that how close my opponents are to winning and/or what tiles they need.

Tags
mahjong, nopan, seinen, sport, yuri