AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2017-09-27, 22:11   Link #1
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

(Kimi no Na wa) Your Name live-action Hollywood movie

Produced by J.J. Abrams:

http://deadline.com/2017/09/your-nam...er-1202178451/

I.......don't know how to feel about this. But since the writer of the excellent Arrival (Eric Heisserer) is involved, looks like they really want this to be good. I wonder how they will translate/westernize all the elements in Shinkai's movie.

Still, I don't know why Hollywood would want to make a live action out of this. All their special effects will not match the beauty of Shinkai's animation and they already done this kind of story before with Keanu Reeves & Sandra Bullock in The Lake House which resulted in lukewarm-to-negative responses from the US audience.
Old 2017-09-27, 22:22   Link #2
Diluc
Darkhero of Monstadt

I don't mind with japanese live action but holywood....
So things most likely will happen there are:
  1. Sex scene and kiss
  2. [mod edit: removed for inappropriate insinuation]
  3. Racial conversion (all white wash or might there inclusion for asian?)
  4. Westernization trope
  5. Also name change never should forget that.

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2017-09-29 at 00:22. Reason: Removed inappropriate insinuation from list
Diluc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-09-27, 23:08   Link #3
Helius

As far as the premise goes, it's universal enough that it can work as a live-action. Characters and setting are non-issue, so don't expect a Western adaptation to look anything like the anime, nor should it be.

I'm quite certain it'll be a straight-up Hollywood drama a la The Lake House, as Obelisk had mentioned, with elements copied/borrowed from the anime and some fancy sfx thrown in for good measure.

A good example of Hollywood adaptation done well would be The Departed vis-a-vis Infernal Affairs. If a Your Name adaptation manages to be of similar calibre then I have no complaints.
Helius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-09-27, 23:49   Link #4
Sides

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxis View Post
I don't mind with japanese live action but holywood....
  1. Sex scene and kiss
  2. [mod edit: removed for inappropriate insinuation]
  3. Racial conversion (all white wash or might there inclusion for asian?)
  4. Westernization trope
  5. Also name change never should forget that.
If I was a writer, I would use a native tribe, pseudo traditions, life on a reserve and urban life as starting point for an adaptation. Kimi no Na wa, iirc, has some mystical and cultural element to its story, so it is really hard use tradition and culture from North America, after colonisation, plus non-natives as core for a rewrite. Of course, if the story doesn't take place in the US, but in some European place, you can always make up some wishy washy pagan stuff.

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2017-09-29 at 00:22.
Sides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-09-28, 05:18   Link #5
Verso Sciolto
Banned

The following words have been attributed to a statement by Makoto Shinkai on the matter:
Quote:
” ‘Your Name.’ is a film created with the innate imaginations of a Japanese team and put together in a domestic medium,” Shinkai said in a statement released by Japanese distributor Toho Co. “When such a work is imbued with Hollywood filmmaking, we may see new possibilities that we had been completely unaware of — I am looking forward to the live-action film with excited anticipation.”
- via Japan Times, Alex Martin -who observed in his article:
Quote:
"[...], the film became a social phenomenon, prompting “anime pilgrimages” to areas linked to the story in Shinjuku and the city of Hida, Gifu Prefecture."

[Mone Kamishiraishi is not from Hida, Gifu and Ryunosuke Kamiki is not from Shinjuku, Tokyo. 石原まき子 is from Tokyo and -as far as I know- does not have Ainu ancestors, but that may be a different story -with the same name (1953).]

Last edited by Verso Sciolto; 2017-10-09 at 00:44.
Verso Sciolto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-09-28, 07:20   Link #6
Infinite Zenith
Operation sneaky sneaks
*IT Support

I doubt I’d watch the Hollywood version unless it had writing and direction of Christopher Nolan caliber.

Last edited by Infinite Zenith; 2017-09-29 at 18:20.
Infinite Zenith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-09-28, 09:14   Link #7
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

^^ don't lie. you'd watch it anyways to see how much of a train wreck it is compared to the original. that being said, i would like to know what direction they take the story in. as it stands now, you can't really transplant the story into a typical western setting and have it work. it'd have to undergo a massive transformation with some pretty big plot changes to have it work that way.

I wonder if Shinkai will have any influence in the direction it goes in. also, one of the biggest draws of the movie was the artwork and the way they framed the shots. there's a snowball's chance in hell that they'll manage to recreate it in life action, unless they get some ridiculous cinematographer.

if they wanted to adapt a Shinkai film (they probably didn't and rather wanted to capitalize on the popularity of your name) they should have done 5cm/s. it'd be infinitely easier to have a film like that in live action. it doesn't have a hollywood ending, but who cares.

Blessed are those who listen to headphones, for they listen to the sound of heaven.

Last edited by germanturkey; 2017-09-28 at 09:32.
germanturkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-09-28, 10:42   Link #8
Infinite Zenith
Operation sneaky sneaks
*IT Support

Maybe you're right about that: I am tempted to see how this goes, if only for the possibility that Taki and Mitsuha will have dialogue as bad as Anakin and Padme

That said, they'll have a hell of a time being faithful to the original if they decided to use another setting outside of Japan, especially with respect to things like the red string of fate and Shinto beliefs. That said, if Taki lived in LA or Vancouver, and Mitsuha lived in the Rockies, I suppose it would be plausible for them to try and find one another.

This is why I mention Christopher Nolan: with his track record, he'd probably be one of the few directors able to make an adaptation like Your Name stand strong thematically without Makoto Shinkai's distinct art style, but such a direction might also deviate greatly from the original Your Name. Of course, to really get the cinematography and visuals down, I personally feel that they would be better served shooting the film in Canada
Old 2017-09-28, 10:46   Link #9
blakstealth
Les Pays Bass

Yes! More lens flares are welcome!
blakstealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-09-28, 12:06   Link #10
Psyco Diver

I'll keep a eye on it, as someone said it's a pretty universal story and the only way to screw it up is keep all the names the same and white wash it or make it political. I can already bet they'll change the ending and the hard part is getting 2 good actors that can play 2 opposite sex characters the same way
Psyco Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-09-28, 14:26   Link #11
blakstealth
Les Pays Bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psyco Diver View Post
I'll keep a eye on it, as someone said it's a pretty universal story and the only way to screw it up is keep all the names the same and white wash it or make it political. I can already bet they'll change the ending and the hard part is getting 2 good actors that can play 2 opposite sex characters the same way
eddie redmayne can play both taki and mitsuha, while at the same time playing both taki and mitsuha in each other's bodies.
Old 2017-09-28, 17:05   Link #12
Kamijou Touma IB
Imagine Breaker

This is a terrible idea and I want to have nothing to do with this. The anime version is enough for me.
Old 2017-09-28, 23:20   Link #13
Ruki0089
Yandere Otoko Ruki-tan

I hope this won't end up like certain Evolution
Old 2017-09-28, 23:28   Link #14
Verso Sciolto
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxis View Post
I don't mind with Japanese live action but holywood....
[...]Black guys (Not trying be racist but holywood just like to included those people somehow)[...]
What were you thinking when you wrote that sentence, Roxis? How should I interpret it? There are very few "black guys" in manga, anime or Japanese live action. Is that why you like Japanese media, perhaps? You used the word "healthy" in the context of requesting certain stories before. Might the issue be about more than vocabulary?

The first item on your list in this thread also puzzled me, a little. Mitsuha and Taki swap bodies and -sometimes over explicit objections- explore the physical aspects of these exchanges within the animated film. At the end they physically re-connected, in a different way, while in their own skin. No longer the same person. If a physical relationship develops from that re-encounter, I wouldn't mind seeing them touch each other with permission and for mutual enjoyment. After the clumsy fondling and glances from the beginning of the story, showing the pleasure of sex between lovers might well be a logical extension of the ending as told. Given, again, the physicality of early moments I'm curious why kissing is on your list?

Racial conversion pops up again. How close to the original location would actors need to be born for their casting to be representative of the setting? Would they need to be raised right there to be able to do a role justice? Is it ok that Mone Kamishiraishi is not from that particular part of Japan as shown in the film? Does it matter that the aforementioned actress, also known as 北原 三枝, playing the role of 「ユミ」"Yumi" in the 1953 sequel film to 君の名は is not actually Ainu herself?

Shinkai and his team went through several working titles before settling on this name 君の名は。for their 2016 film. A name with that well known baggage. I also find it confusing and often unnecessary to change titles, however. We somewhat agree on that aspect of the remake or adaptation process. Especially if the new film is otherwise a quite literal recreation of source material in other media or an earlier movie. Even today Japanese TV guides frequently list films with a "reinvented" Japanese title - titles which frequently seem to have very little to do with the actual title of the work and these are printed without providing the original title in the original language ... and that's while doing little more besides slicing scenes to accommodate splicing in commercials and adding a dub and/or subtitles to the foreign language material itself. In some Japanese subs and dubs a specific reference is also substituted for a generic term.
Verso Sciolto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-09-29, 00:27   Link #15
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso Sciolto View Post
What were you thinking when you wrote that sentence, Roxis? How should I interpret it? There are very few "black guys" in manga, anime or Japanese live action. Is that why you like Japanese media, perhaps? You used the word "healthy" in the context of requesting certain stories before. Might the issue be about more than vocabulary?
I too share some questions about the intention and insinuations of this statement, but I don't think this thread should get derailed by this discussion in this way.

I think it's okay to have a conversation about the changes Hollywood may make to adapt the source material for "American film-going audiences" and that could changing the diversity of the cast. But if we're going to have that conversation, I think it has to be without real or implied call-outs (and without inappropriate insinuations in the first place). I edited the original post to remove that point because I think it's inappropriately provocative and distracts from the actual conversation about the movie.

So anyway, I'd just ask that the conversation not dwell on this issue, except if they want to have the broader conversation about racial diversity and casting for this movie.
Old 2017-09-29, 01:21   Link #16
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psyco Diver View Post
it's a pretty universal story
i'd argue that it isn't an universal story. it's pretty heavy with shinto beliefs and stuff like the red string of fate that is not present in western culture.

Blessed are those who listen to headphones, for they listen to the sound of heaven.
Old 2017-09-29, 01:58   Link #17
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

I imagine they'll just take the basic premise of the story - the body-swapping between two teenagers separated by distance, and the supernatural occurrences with the comet - and then just make their own story around it.

As long as it's something like say an adaptation of All You Need Is Kill into Edge of Tomorrow, then it might become passable.

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.

Last edited by LoweGear; 2017-09-29 at 17:44.
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-09-29, 11:11   Link #18
blakstealth
Les Pays Bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoweGear View Post
I imagine they'll just take the basic premise of the story - the body-swapping between two teenagers separated by distance, and the supernatural occurrences with the comet - and then just make their own story around it.

As long as it's something like say an adaptation of All You Need Is Kill into Edge of Tomorrow, then it might become passable.
So Tom Cruise is Taki and Emily Blunt as Mitsuha? sweeeeet
Old 2017-09-29, 14:41   Link #19
Ruki0089
Yandere Otoko Ruki-tan

Hollywood failed us many times when come to Anime's adaptation...
Old 2017-09-29, 15:00   Link #20
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruki0089 View Post
Hollywood failed us many times when come to Anime's adaptation...
hollywood has always tried to adapt action movies though. aside from death note, which i have no idea what they were trying to do with that. something straight drama should be easier, which is why I think they should have done 5cm/s if anything.