AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2013-02-24, 18:44   Link #1
Kameruka
Hen-Tie

Games that stuck in development hell

We all know how disappointing Aliens: Colonial Marines is, which take at least nearly 7 years in development since its announcement in 2006. Still not as bad as Duke Nukem Forever which about 14 years(1997-2011). Diablo 3 in other hand was able to avoid this fate even though got some criticism by gamers and critics. There are some games which I personally waiting for them but still no news about them.

King of Fighters Maximum Impact 3
Intended platform: PS3

I love previous 2 KoF Maximun Impact games despite being cheap knockoff to Namco's Tekken and Tecmo's Dead or Alive series. The third game was announced for PS3 even the console itself not yet existed in that time. At least in my theory it may have been by SNK-Playmore in order to give way to King of Fighters XIII and other upcoming 2D KoF games.

Suikoden 6

No announcement were made suggest this game may not even existed at all. There is a Suikoden game in Nintendo DS but it is more of a spinoff than a true sequel. Konami probably killed this franchise in order to make way for Metal Gear Solid and Silent Hill games as both had next-gen sequels while Suikoden still don't have it.

Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 5
Intended platform: PS3, XBOX 360

This one is special because it based more on fans' speculation than facts. Even though its true Atlus is making a new SMT game but it may not be a new Persona game. The closest Persona fans ever got for next-gen consoles is a 2D fighting game than a true sequel. As for long development time it safe to say Atlus prioritized Catherine and back for SMT as the Catherine's project finished.
Kameruka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-24, 22:16   Link #2
Fuyuno
Banned

Still waiting for KoF Maximum Impact 3 even though its fate is uncertain at best. You also forget to mention Starcraft: Ghost and Freespace 3.

I would love to play Persona 5 when it come out(or ever will).
Fuyuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-25, 06:17   Link #3
Sides

About PERSONA 5
Well P3 and P4 came out late to the PS2 life cycle. IIRC P3 was release a couple of months before the PS3 was launched and P4 was released year(s) later. So it will come, once it is finished.
Like P3, P5 will be running on a new game engine. Games like Catherine and others were using 3rd parties engine or developed outside. Think Strange Journey was using the etrian odyssey engine, which explains why lancarse were involved
Sides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-25, 09:03   Link #4
JagdPanther
WE ARE.... PENN STATE....

Send a message via AIM to JagdPanther
Half-Life 2: Episode 3/Half-Life 3 is big-time vaporware at this point.

Avatar v. 37.0: Fighter Squadron 31. The VF-31 "Tomcatters."
JagdPanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-25, 10:50   Link #5
defki

PS3 the king of vaporware and dev hell:

Versus XIII ffs. It's a joke at this point.

Though it's less development hell and more sheer incompetence on SE side.

Ni-Oh

Game has been announced back in 2004. Intended as a PS3 launch title. In 2012 it finally entered alpha development lol.

Agent

Announced exclusive for PS3 at E3 2009. A logo and a few pictures since then...

The Last Guardian

PS3 and yeah...

Eight Days and the Getaway 3

PS3. Cancelled, not cancelled, put on hold. Make up your damn mind Sony.

Last edited by defki; 2013-02-25 at 11:13.
defki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-25, 19:45   Link #6
Fuyuno
Banned

The Last Guardian were moved to PS4 as far as I know.

Yeah FF Versus XIII. I saw its trailer over and over and over again for several years but still no hint of its release.

As for new Suikoden game, there is a PSP one but too bad it won't leave Japan for some reasons, mainly financial as Suikoden V(PS2) flopped in Japan and rest of the world despite its high ratings given by trusted critics.
Fuyuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-25, 19:50   Link #7
Kyuu
=^^=

So, who remembers Starcraft: Ghost? Me neither.
Kyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-25, 20:05   Link #8
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
I think we need to be a bit more narrow with development hell. Last Guardian and FF13 vs certainly belong in there.

Persona 5 I wouldn't count as being in there. When Atlus releases those Persona games they deliver, so say take all the time they want to create a great experience. They have other things going on too so not like they are sitting on their hands. It's going to arrive and should be pretty awesome.

I'm alright with companies taking their time with games and releasing quality. It's when you run into the Colonial Marines, Duke Nukem situations where they aren't getting better that's the problem. Either getting bounced around or constantly having to try and upgrade parts because it's falling behind visually, etc. I don't want to see that, but I will wait for good games since rushing them is an equally bad problem.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuu View Post
So, who remembers Starcraft: Ghost? Me neither.
To be fair that isn't stuck in development hell...it's just dead. Unless we are considering development hell as the underworld .
Old 2013-03-02, 08:10   Link #9
VDZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
I think we need to be a bit more narrow with development hell. Last Guardian and FF13 vs certainly belong in there.

Persona 5 I wouldn't count as being in there. When Atlus releases those Persona games they deliver, so say take all the time they want to create a great experience. They have other things going on too so not like they are sitting on their hands. It's going to arrive and should be pretty awesome.

I'm alright with companies taking their time with games and releasing quality. It's when you run into the Colonial Marines, Duke Nukem situations where they aren't getting better that's the problem. Either getting bounced around or constantly having to try and upgrade parts because it's falling behind visually, etc. I don't want to see that, but I will wait for good games since rushing them is an equally bad problem.
To be fair that isn't stuck in development hell...it's just dead. Unless we are considering development hell as the underworld .
Indeed, we should get a clear definition of 'development hell' before we start listing every game that people have been waiting for for two years. According to Wikipedia, "In media industry jargon, "development hell" (or "development limbo") is a period during which a film or other project is trapped in development. A film, television program, screenplay, computer program,[1] concept, or idea stranded in development hell takes an especially long time to start production, or never does.", and Vaporware is a term in the computer industry that describes a product, typically computer hardware or software, that is announced to the general public but is never actually released nor officially cancelled. Vaporware is also a term sometimes used to describe events that are announced or predicted, never officially cancelled, but never intended to happen.". In other words, no unannounced titles, and no titles that have only been recently announced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kameruka View Post
Suikoden 6

No announcement were made suggest this game may not even existed at all. There is a Suikoden game in Nintendo DS but it is more of a spinoff than a true sequel. Konami probably killed this franchise in order to make way for Metal Gear Solid and Silent Hill games as both had next-gen sequels while Suikoden still don't have it.
Was never announced, so it isn't in development hell. Otherwise we might as well claim things like Ghost Trick 2, Time Hollow 2, Final Fantasy Tactics A3 and Advance Wars: Days of Ruin 2 are in development hell - they just don't exist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kameruka View Post
Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 5
Intended platform: PS3, XBOX 360

This one is special because it based more on fans' speculation than facts. Even though its true Atlus is making a new SMT game but it may not be a new Persona game. The closest Persona fans ever got for next-gen consoles is a 2D fighting game than a true sequel. As for long development time it safe to say Atlus prioritized Catherine and back for SMT as the Catherine's project finished.
Persona 5 was announced to be in development in August 2011. Details are unknown. Way too recent to call vaporware considering the kind of game, IMO. Also, a main series Shin Megami Tensei game is also in the works, for 3DS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuyuno View Post
Still waiting for KoF Maximum Impact 3 even though its fate is uncertain at best. You also forget to mention Starcraft: Ghost and Freespace 3.

I would love to play Persona 5 when it come out(or ever will).
Ghost is close to development hell. Like Satoshi Kon's movie 'The Dream Machine', its real status is 'practically canceled but we'd love to finish it'. The only difference with a true development hell is that Ghost is not actually being worked on.

KOFMI3 is legit vaporware, but I don't think Freespace 3 was ever announced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigo View Post
PS3 the king of vaporware and dev hell:

Ni-Oh

Game has been announced back in 2004. Intended as a PS3 launch title. In 2012 it finally entered alpha development lol.

Agent

Announced exclusive for PS3 at E3 2009. A logo and a few pictures since then...

The Last Guardian

PS3 and yeah...

Eight Days and the Getaway 3

PS3. Cancelled, not cancelled, put on hold. Make up your damn mind Sony.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuyuno View Post
The Last Guardian were moved to PS4 as far as I know.
According to Wikipedia, the PS4 move was only a rumor and its real status remains unconfirmed. However, "[Game director] Ueda said the game’s release is “solely decided by Sony, not myself,” and to “keep an eye out” for an official announcement.", so it may indeed be a PS4 launch/early title for business purposes.
VDZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-02, 23:08   Link #10
defki

It's not far fetched to believe that the Last Guardian was moved to PS4. Ico was also developed for PS before moving it to PS2 because of technical limitations. They did say they have technical difficulties. But until they tell us what's going on it's vaporware for me.
defki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-04, 06:39   Link #11
Kameruka
Hen-Tie

Blizzard killed Starcraft: Ghost. No doubt about it. I also deliberately not to mention Final Fantasy Versus XIII because it's not worth waiting, at least for me. Just another bishounen fest action game to encourage more female gamers to play action games, just like what their did to 07-Ghost to shoujo anime.

As for KoF: Maximum Impact 3, it was announced in 2004 for PS3 at the same time SNK launched the first one for PS2 and XBOX. To this day there still no news about it while SNK itself already launched KoF XI, XII and XIII.
Old 2013-03-05, 18:03   Link #12
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

With what they did in SC2:
  • chiken-walker jets that shoot further then gigantic battle cruisers
  • helicopters in space
  • fire exhaust in space... but wait there's more...
  • fire exhaust that blows in the wrong direction of movement
  • units that can only move when buildings are burrowed (err what?)
  • weeds that somehow stop movement
  • tentacles that can grab ships
  • hellions, or how a little fire is somehow effective against tech meant to deal with the most extreme of conditions
  • health juice
  • underground tentacle that goes though nothing in space
  • medic zerg (ie. queens)
  • rockets with snare

And it's lore...

"Hey any of you guys remember how that SC game was?"
  • A: "Uh yeah I think there was this toss race that had weak expensive units that build slow."
  • B: "Isn't that the game with the rocks?"
  • A: "Oh and then there was this other race with self healing though units, that build really fast."
  • A: "Pretty sure they had this guardian thing that built instantly out of perfect air supremacy creature."
  • C: "What about the humans?"
  • A: "I think they had big robots or at least one. Don't remember their other stuff. All I recall was they're buildings could float, expect for supply depos and engineering bays."
  • B: "Do you guys remember what that Raynor guy was doing?"
  • Everyone: "Nope."
  • A: "Just make him a drug addict and add some cowboy stuff. Kids like that shit now."
  • E: "Think we should add some dubstep there?"
  • ...several years later, "Hey guys I think we need to start work on the other two races; we need to ship next month."
  • B: "Shh, we're busy optimizing the rock balance here."

In all honesty I don't want to see SC:G until Blizzard gets their act together. And if they never do again I wouldn't be surprised.
Old 2013-03-05, 22:04   Link #13
TJR

Quote:
It's not far fetched to believe that the Last Guardian was moved to PS4. Ico was also developed for PS before moving it to PS2 because of technical limitations. They did say they have technical difficulties. But until they tell us what's going on it's vaporware for me.
With recent development in Japan, the technical issues have more to do with workflow and production efficiency than inadequate hardware specs. Simply put, the graphical demands of HD gaming are too much for some developers to cope with.

If they're struggling to put together a PS3 game, moving to PS4 would likely worsen the situation.
TJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-06, 11:58   Link #14
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Eyedentify
Announced at E3 2005.

Old 2013-03-12, 18:16   Link #15
Kameruka
Hen-Tie

^I believe Eyedentify already dead long time ago and in fact the peripheral that you supposed to play with it already scrapped. It's funny that it was announced before PS3 itself existed and now in this year the PS3 is nearing its lifespan and still no news about that game.
Old 2013-03-12, 20:04   Link #16
blakstealth
Les Pays Bass

Battlefront III, anyone?
blakstealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-16, 01:46   Link #17
Kimidori
The Opened Ultimate Gate

development hell should only be used for game that announced with trailer but not released a long time after it, Persona 5 is not a game you should considered to be stuck in development hell, if so, Shin Megami Tensei IV should have been considered to be in development hell for 10 years too.

I surprised that no one mentioned Beyond Good & Evil 2, it been announced back in 2008 with 2 trailer but still no sight of release, though there was a good news about it not long ago

Old 2013-04-16, 03:40   Link #18
Renegade334
Sleepy Lurker
*Graphic Designer

One game that comes to mind -this should bring some vague memories of the early FPS world, before the 3D boom- is NovaLogic's Delta Force: Angel Falls. NovaLogic is practically nothing more than a sad memory now, but that company introduced me (when I had my first PCs) to the military-themed FPS genre (and then some, since I also played their last F22 Lightning and Comanche games). Played DF, DF2 and then quality and innovation went downhill from there. Delta Force: Black Hawk Down (yes, inspired by the movie of the same name) was probably their last attempt at self-resuscitation and endeavor to get back into the game (no pun intended), but that was it. They completely foundered after that - got left in the dust by more ambitious FPS titles. DF: Joint Operations was an attempt to lean towards the Battlefield and Operation Flashpoint side (vehicle interaction, 32p+ multiplayer maps), but IIRC it wasn't really impressive.

There were a few screenshots available for DF:AF, but they were leaked a couple years back and now the game is pretty much vaporware. I don't intend to ever buy DF:AF should it ever come out (ha, you wish), it's just my nostalgia kicking in.
Old 2013-04-16, 06:16   Link #19
Virid

Quote:

I agree. Even IF they reuse elements from versus and call it FFXV it just shows that they can't finish what they started.
Virid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-19, 18:30   Link #20
Infinite Zenith
Operation sneaky sneaks
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by JagdPanther View Post
Half-Life 2: Episode 3/Half-Life 3 is big-time vaporware at this point.
I was so mad when they made a fake Steam page for it on April Fools' Day: I clicked on the purchase button and was immediately notified it was a fake That said, I imagine that Half-Life 2: Episode 3 and Half-Life 3 will hopefully release once the next-generation Source Engine is ready. Hopefully.