AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2008-06-03, 23:15   Link #1601
jedinat

In math both systems are used. In science it's been pretty much all metric through high school and college. I still don't really grasp the kilometer. Some sort of wimpy mile.
jedinat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-03, 23:51   Link #1602
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to KholdStare Send a message via MSN to KholdStare
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedinat View Post
In math both systems are used. In science it's been pretty much all metric through high school and college. I still don't really grasp the kilometer. Some sort of wimpy mile.
Meh I always estimate. I just remember 1.6 km in a mile, a bit less than half a pound is equal to a kilogram, a bit less than a quart is equal to a liter.
KholdStare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-04, 02:14   Link #1603
Aoie_Emesai
♪♫ Maya Iincho ♩♬
*Artist

Send a message via Yahoo to Aoie_Emesai
I was forced to learn these In my College Chem and Physics >.< I don't remember them all now, but 2.54cm = 1 Inch ^^

How to Give / Receive Criticism on your work / Like to draw? Come join Artists Alike
Visit my Deviantart Or Blog ~A Child should always surpass his/her parent, Remember.
Aoie_Emesai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-04, 02:40   Link #1604
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Quote:
Well, I've never quite grasped the mile.

And there's tons of Imperial stuff I've never really known. The thing that drives me the most insane is the foot/inches system. It just seems too... nonsensical, cumbersome and anti-intuitive. I mean, come on, 100 centimeters = 1 meter, that's all you need . In fact, for some reason most numeric systems born in the UK (I'm thinking the old pound/shillings/pence system) seem extremely weird.

And with the metric system, you don't have the issue Kyuusai was pointing out, since converting is a trivial matter (1 dm3 = 1 liter, things like that).

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.

Last edited by WanderingKnight; 2008-06-04 at 10:03.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-04, 04:48   Link #1605
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Yes, 1 kilometre = 1000 metre

Of course 1km doesn't make sense compared to a mile, that wasn't the point; in metric everything derives from the base unit. So you only need to know what things are measured in: grams, leters, meters, what have you and then you know all others and what relationship they have with each other, with a easy mathematical conversion.

I have no damn idea which is which in imperial, lol.
Old 2008-06-04, 04:49   Link #1606
LiberLibri
(`◉◞౪◟◉´)

Send a message via AIM to LiberLibri
Thanks for the answers.

Today I came to know the unit of force Poundal. I had supposed that even in the US physical calculation were based on the SI system. Given the Imperial units prevail in science there, we always need constants to convert every value; 1[J] = 1[kg·m²/s²] = 23.73 [pound·feet²/s²], right?

I have seen US products using Volt [V] and Ampere [A] to show the specification. Possibly (and hopefully) electronics is an exception.
LiberLibri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-04, 04:50   Link #1607
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

Well, I'll say that the metric system is widely used in scientific circles. (Anyone remembers that fiasco by NASA over the Mars probe that failed because the distance was calculated in the wrong units?)

The metric system is also closely linked to the SI system of units. You know, unit of energy = joule, unit for force = newton, unit of pressure = pascal, that system. I prefer the SI system as it helps give credit to some chaps of science who were otherwise unknown. How many here read up on Joule?
yezhanquan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-04, 04:55   Link #1608
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Yes. Same thing really. Both meter and joule are standards from the ISU.
Old 2008-06-04, 05:31   Link #1609
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Astronomy question: on any given night, will the phase of the moon be the same when viewed from anywhere on Earth?
Old 2008-06-04, 05:40   Link #1610
KiNA
Kira_Naruto, the ecchi
*Graphic Designer

Theorically yes, as the viewing degree difference are too minicules compared to the distance between earth and moon >.<

That didnt make much sense in english.. Sounds more plausible in Malay, hopefully you can understand that
>> Tsukiumi
>> Saeko Busujima
>> Himuka
>> Yui Kotegawa

KiNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-04, 05:55   Link #1611
xris
Just call me Ojisan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledgem View Post
Astronomy question: on any given night, will the phase of the moon be the same when viewed from anywhere on Earth?
Maths tells you that it is different but if it's actually noticable is another matter. Dia.of Earth 8,000 miles (12,756km), distance between Earth and Moon 240,000 miles (384,404 km), do the maths

Depends what you mean by phase of the moon, if you mean will a quarter moon still look a quarter moon (and not a waning crescent) then yes, it will look a quarter moon anywhere on the earth. There will be a minor difference but since the terminator line is a bit vague it's going to be very difficult to notice any difference in practice, certainly not with the naked eye.

Last edited by xris; 2008-06-04 at 06:18. Reason: Typo on dist. to moon
xris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-04, 07:26   Link #1612
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingKnight View Post
The thing that drives me the most insane is the foot/inches system. It just seems too... nonsensical, cumbersome and anti-intuitive. I mean, come one, 100 centimeters = 1 meter, that's all you need . In fact, for some reason most numeric systems born in the UK (I'm thinking the old pound/shillings/pence system) seem extremely weird.
Some cultures (including some ancient ones) used 12 as a base because it's divisible by 2, 3, 4, and 6. The old UK monetary system was one of these, along with the English foot. 10 is, of course, divisible only by 2 and 5. So, while it's easy to buy a "quarter-dozen" of some items, no such equivalent exists for 10.

I find powers of ten a lot more congenial myself, though. Of course, if we'd all been born with six fingers and six toes, we'd probably be on base-12.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-04, 18:41   Link #1613
Zaku Hyuga
Domo Ori Gato Mr. Roboto
*Author

My friends having trouble with their myspace, this is part of what they wrote. The rest of the message doesn't have anything to do with the problem.
"My sSTUPID muspac isnt accepting comments on my main page or on my blogs anymore. WHAT HAPPENED!"
My initial thought was that she may have accidentally clicked not to show comments, but I'm not sure as I don't have a space myself, that and shes pretty computer savvy.
Zaku Hyuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-05, 03:02   Link #1614
KiNA
Kira_Naruto, the ecchi
*Graphic Designer

And the one million dollar question was

what is the silly question again?
>> Tsukiumi
>> Saeko Busujima
>> Himuka
>> Yui Kotegawa

KiNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-06, 06:34   Link #1615
LiberLibri
(`◉◞౪◟◉´)

Send a message via AIM to LiberLibri
Just a quite silly question on English grammar.

Verbs of _ake type have several distinct patterns of conjugation.

bake - baked - baked
make - made - made
take - took - taken
wake - woke - woken

Suppose there comes another new verb, for instance "zake". What would be the most appropriate conjugation that sounds natural to the native speakers?
LiberLibri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-06, 07:40   Link #1616
SeedFreedom
Hina is my goddess
*Graphic Designer

I think it should be zake - zaked - zaked
Make, take and wake seem to be exceptions because when you look at other words with -ake they follow the bake pattern, like rake and fake.
SeedFreedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-06, 09:41   Link #1617
Kyuusai
9wiki
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to Kyuusai Send a message via MSN to Kyuusai Send a message via Yahoo to Kyuusai
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiberLibri View Post
Just a quite silly question on English grammar.

Verbs of _ake type have several distinct patterns of conjugation.

bake - baked - baked
make - made - made
take - took - taken
wake - woke - woken

Suppose there comes another new verb, for instance "zake". What would be the most appropriate conjugation that sounds natural to the native speakers?
Unique intransitive forms like "taken" and "woken" are archaic, and new verbs generally follow patterns in a much more predictable way.... THANK GOD. I would imagine that any new verb, like "zake" would take "zaked" in both the transitive and intransitive form.

I would much rather live with the slight ambiguity of transitive versus intransitive than have a completely non-standardized form for each word.

Here's my own question on this subject: Is there any language that has unique forms for both transitive and intransitive verbs as part of the regular form of all verbs? Even my beloved Esperanto, while it has a way to make intransitive verbs transitive (by a suffix) and to make transitive verbs intransitive (by an auxiliary verb)... each verb is still inherently transitive or intransitive and the verb's form gives no clue as to which. This is an ambiguity I've seen in every language I've examined... are there any that aren't this way?

I await patiently
the gift promised to me.
Kyuusai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-06, 12:13   Link #1618
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Quote:
Is there any language that has unique forms for both transitive and intransitive verbs as part of the regular form of all verbs?
Well, you have the passive voice marker in Japanese which can somewhat qualify for that--but I don't think it's technically what you want to find, more like a sort of "workaround" which can yield the same effect.

(Besides, there's the point that there are actions that, unless the society's paradigms change a lot, can't ever be made transitive, no matter how much you want it to be. The verb "to be", to give a basic example).

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-06, 13:20   Link #1619
Kyuusai
9wiki
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to Kyuusai Send a message via MSN to Kyuusai Send a message via Yahoo to Kyuusai
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingKnight View Post
(Besides, there's the point that there are actions that, unless the society's paradigms change a lot, can't ever be made transitive, no matter how much you want it to be. The verb "to be", to give a basic example).
Indeed, the determination of transitive or intransitive is made by the word's meaning. I suppose a better way of putting it is "Is there any language in which the form of the verb consistently reflects whether or not it is transitive or intransitive?"

As an example, the Esperanto word "boli", means "to boil"--intransitive. The transitive form has a suffix: "boligi", "to make boil". If all transitive verbs had such a suffix, it would always be clear by the verb's form whether it is transitive or intransitive, but that is not the case. Instead, that must be discovered directly from the definition.

I await patiently
the gift promised to me.
Kyuusai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-06, 15:10   Link #1620
Slice of Life
eyewitness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuusai View Post
Indeed, the determination of transitive or intransitive is made by the word's meaning. I suppose a better way of putting it is "Is there any language in which the form of the verb consistently reflects whether or not it is transitive or intransitive?"

As an example, the Esperanto word "boli", means "to boil"--intransitive. The transitive form has a suffix: "boligi", "to make boil". If all transitive verbs had such a suffix, it would always be clear by the verb's form whether it is transitive or intransitive, but that is not the case. Instead, that must be discovered directly from the definition.
I've asked my personal linguistic advisor ( ) who answered Tok Pisin, an English creole spoken in Papua New Guinea. In fact, this is typical for creole languages he said. It seems that there are exceptions though:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wikipedia
The verb has one suffix, -im (from "him") to indicate transitivity (luk, look; lukim, see). But some verbs, such as kaikai "eat", can be transitive without it.

Tags
problem, q&a, serious