AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Macross > Past Macross Series

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-10-06, 06:28   Link #1861
TwilightHack
~ Madoka = Win ~

Spoiler for a little off-topic:

---

Hmm, who wants to discuss Sheryl's character from Ep1 onwards?

I know for starters that people fell in love with her around Ep5... and that Ep23 spoke treasure troves about her past and her character.

Maybe I'll write up something since we're missing our usual analyses people.

in the shadows i lurk... but nevertheless there i am...
Old 2008-10-06, 06:42   Link #1862
magnuskn

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwilightHack View Post
Spoiler for a little off-topic:

---

Hmm, who wants to discuss Sheryl's character from Ep1 onwards?

I know for starters that people fell in love with her around Ep5... and that Ep23 spoke treasure troves about her past and her character.

Maybe I'll write up something since we're missing our usual analyses people.
Sure thing... at the moment I am at work, and cannot do long posts, but whenever Monir feels ready ( hint, hint ) to open the up the series discussion thread, I'll do an review of the series. But IŽd love to read anyhing from you.

But I was sold already with "Strawberry pie", what can I say. ^^

And, yeah, IŽd love to see Swampstorm back here and more of the others. <sigh> SKs trolling really did a number on the community here.
Old 2008-10-06, 07:30   Link #1863
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

I'm all for a little serious discussion. No trolling, please.

Old 2008-10-06, 07:44   Link #1864
Jazzrat
Bearly Legal

I think episode 20 is when she capture my heart. She's an interesting character but i think it was when she decided to kept on singing after a series of downturns in her life that really made her one of more memorable divas in anime. Diamond Crevasse in that episode was truly touching with or without Michel dying.
Old 2008-10-06, 08:47   Link #1865
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

It sure was. But the version contained in the second OST still takes the cake and eats it all alone. God, I love this song.

Old 2008-10-06, 17:55   Link #1866
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

Puh, I was rooting for her since episode I! Sure, if this was a standard Mecha moe, she would have had no chance at all, and her character development throughout the show would contribute largely to comedic purposes. Fortunately, knowing the director, I knew my efforts wouldn't be wasted.

My faith was completely reaffirmed from episode 20 onwards. Her extraordinary (and at times anguishing) display of strength was a huge contrast to Ranka's character. Her selflessness even at the face of death simply overwhelmed my emotions. She certainly could choose a different path, as a dying person. However, she chose a nobler goal of shouldering the responsibilities of guiding Frontier despite her situation. I don't see how anyone could complain about her effort.

And to think some Ranka fans would argue that Ranka had no responsibilities whatsoever in her behavior and her departure from Frontier, really? Must I remind you that the universe does not revolve around her?

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.

Last edited by Tak; 2008-10-06 at 19:35.
Old 2008-10-06, 19:33   Link #1867
rei_lied

Me too! The first time I saw Sheryl, I know she's going to be my favorite character in the series. I know she was a bitch back then but I also knew that some drastic character development will happen to her making me love her more!
Old 2008-10-07, 01:49   Link #1868
KiraYamatoFan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
Puh, I was rooting for her since episode I! Sure, if this was a standard Mecha moe, she would have had no chance at all, and her character development throughout the show would contribute largely to comedic purposes. Fortunately, knowing the director, I knew my efforts wouldn't be wasted.

My faith was completely reaffirmed from episode 20 onwards. Her extraordinary (and at times anguishing) display of strength was a huge contrast to Ranka's character. Her selflessness even at the face of death simply overwhelmed my emotions. She certainly could choose a different path, as a dying person. However, she chose a nobler goal of shouldering the responsibilities of guiding Frontier despite her situation. I don't see how anyone could complain about her effort.

And to think some Ranka fans would argue that Ranka had no responsibilities whatsoever in her behavior and her departure from Frontier, really? Must I remind you that the universe does not revolve around her?

- Tak
Sheryl was a clear favorite since day one despite showing that workaholic attitude and tough mentality at the beginning (hey, I've known Misa for that). What's even better was how she became more "normal" from the moment she started making friends and showed a new selflessness reflecting her will to protect her new home despite facing death. The character growth was magnificent from start to finish.

If you ask me about Ranka's POV in which the universe revolving around her, only one answer comes to mind: BOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!
Old 2008-10-07, 02:10   Link #1869
kujoe
from head to heel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
Actually I was a bit surprised at Ranka's character design considering this is Kawamori we're talking about.

Sure, we also have Minmay and Mylene, but they're mostly cute and pretty—nothing compared to the blatant moe pandering that is Ranka's character design. And then, there's Klan Klein's micronized form... Times have changed, for better or for worse.
Old 2008-10-07, 02:13   Link #1870
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

That's why Sheryl feels like a breath of fresh air... She goes against the norm ruling anime's preferences nowadays.

Last edited by BetoJR; 2008-10-07 at 04:49.
Old 2008-10-07, 02:43   Link #1871
Urei
Star Designer
*Graphic Designer

And Sheryl got herself the most support. That should say something about her and fans preferences, or about what anime lack in todays world.

EDIT. Let's face it, women such as her are rare to find. I've also liked her from the first episode. Strong willed people are the most complex ones. I'd expect nothing less from Galaxy Fairy. The way she went on with her life, facing the dangers and fighting a loosing battle proves she's the most unique character of the animes I've seen up to date.

AD 2314 Mobile Suit Gundam 00
~A wakening of the Trailblazer~

Old 2008-10-07, 04:51   Link #1872
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

But even if she got the greater amount of support, they were still weary of hurting the other character's fanbase. That's also a testament to the state of things today.

Old 2008-10-07, 06:28   Link #1873
TwilightHack
~ Madoka = Win ~

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetoJR View Post
But even if she got the greater amount of support, they were still weary of hurting the other character's fanbase. That's also a testament to the state of things today.
You mean where money is everything and story is second?

Yeah that's today... Tsundere's with depth are often the most interesting yet loving caring characters. Sheryl happens to top the list.

in the shadows i lurk... but nevertheless there i am...
Old 2008-10-07, 07:17   Link #1874
Urei
Star Designer
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwilightHack View Post
You mean where money is everything and story is second?

Yeah that's today... Tsundere's with depth are often the most interesting yet loving caring characters. Sheryl happens to top the list.
Yeah, Ranka will always have her own fans. Hurting such an 'innocent' girl so early, while the series is at it's peak with earning money would be just... too cruel, for their wallets.

Old 2008-10-07, 07:41   Link #1875
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Exactly. And, on that note, let's all hope for the best, in the movie. I know I'll watch it, regardless if it turns out to be a sucky retelling. Just hope they don't botch their best creation, namely, Sheryl's character.

Old 2008-10-07, 08:34   Link #1876
Urei
Star Designer
*Graphic Designer

I'm hoping against hope that Kawamori is not satisfied with the ending we were presented with and is trying to create a new one. It's grasping at straws I know, but it's all I can think of right now.

Old 2008-10-07, 08:49   Link #1877
abynormal
Skull Fairy Scout

Send a message via AIM to abynormal
If it were possible, I'd like to see a Ranka vs. Sheryl poll that is segregated by gender. I'm just curious to see how the support divvies up between male and female fans.

As I mentioned in the overall impressions thread, I liked the series to begin with, but Sheryl was responsible for turning me into a slavering fanboy for the first time ever. It was her chemistry with Alto from episode 5 onward that really did it for me.
Old 2008-10-07, 09:42   Link #1878
Tak

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetoJR View Post
they were still weary of hurting the other character's fanbase. That's also a testament to the state of things today.
Hurting the other fanbase was probably never part of his calculations.

I mean, this guy told us flat out that the ending was going to be a surprise soon after the series aired. Alto's VA also confirmed it in an interview. The fact is, they were prepared to troll us every since the very beginning!

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Old 2008-10-07, 09:50   Link #1879
Natsuki Hyuga
(☞゚∀゚)☞ロンパアアアア!! 

Send a message via MSN to Natsuki Hyuga
The trolling however is really not good for his reputation, when the series itself give its main focus to LT, Tak. The series feel so botched only because of the ending. I am personally content with Alto and Sheryl's development though: Theirs have been shown to be better than Ranka and Alto's one.

Old 2008-10-07, 09:51   Link #1880
Tak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natsuki Hyuga View Post
The trolling however is really not good for his reputation, when the series itself give its main focus to LT, Tak.
Yes, and my post above was a nicer way of calling Kawamori-san an asshole.

- Tak (But you have to admit, its a very dirty and effective marketing ploy)

Closed Thread

Tags
characters