AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2006-04-05, 18:51   Link #1
Zhemos

Tales of Legendia Game Discussion

Anyone played it? How does it measure up?

I'm gonna pick up a new game this week. Having a hard time deciding between legendia and Kingdom hearts 2. :P
Zhemos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-05, 22:12   Link #2
Taylor--
!

I played it back in Feb when it came out. I think it's a great game, battling got a bit repetitive at times, but then I just switched my controled player and I was fine :P . Don't go and buy this game expecting an awesome story though, sure I thought it was fine, but nothing too great. The voices are alright, except Shirleys, luckily she won't be around much till after the main story. After that, there is Character Quests. Which make the the game pretty long. If you've played Tales games before, I'd say this is one of the worst. But it is still a fun game.

On KH2, I'm not very far but I'm likeing it more then ToL. Although like the first game, the combat can get repetitive. Story seems better so far as well. But wtf is with the Drive mode being disabled so often? I want to duel wield keyblades!
Taylor-- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-05, 22:33   Link #3
uLTraCarL-
Planet uLTraCarL Inc
*Fansubber

Send a message via ICQ to uLTraCarL- Send a message via AIM to uLTraCarL-
i dont like kingdom hearts, so i will totally tell you to get legendia.

BUT

Legendia is pretty weak in its own ways.

The Chronicles of uLTraCarL .. Youtube connection
[Ht] Hostile Takeover #hostile @ irc.gamesurge.net .. Anime-Kraze #anime-kraze @ irc.rizon.net
uLTraCarL- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-06, 01:45   Link #4
Sides

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor--
If you've played Tales games before, I'd say this is one of the worst. But it is still a fun game.
To be fair this tales game was not developed by Tales Studio, like all the other ones.
Sides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-06, 07:42   Link #5
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

ToL is good, but far from great, especially when compared with Symphonia and Abyss. That's a bit of a given, since it was developed by the Soul Calibur Team, whose forte isn't RPGs.

Though it argubly has the most character developed party in all of RPG. Technically half the game was used to develop character's back story, etc.

Though looking at Abyss and Legendia, it's hard to believe the level of difference. I personally believe Abyss to be the greatest of all Tales series, and easily one of the best most well rounded RPGs ever while Legendia is.....mediocre?

Localize Tales of Abyss, Namco. I demand it.
Nightengale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-06, 07:59   Link #6
uLTraCarL-
Planet uLTraCarL Inc
*Fansubber

everyone demands it, we need a new awesome Tales series.

Symphonia was awesome back that is old now. We need the new!

[Ht] Hostile Takeover #hostile @ irc.gamesurge.net .. Anime-Kraze #anime-kraze @ irc.rizon.net
Old 2006-04-06, 08:10   Link #7
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by uLTraCarL-
everyone demands it, we need a new awesome Tales series.

Symphonia was awesome back that is old now. We need the new!
Awesome doesn't even begin to describe Abyss. It is phenomenal.

Best RPG of 2005. In terms of blending in amazing intruging storyline, a good pace for an RPG, a balanced character development for all characters, emotional moments, great interesting characters, great gameplay, superb sidequest that pisses all over FF XII's, amazing skits, etc etc etc, I'd put it on par with Xenogears.

The ending is.... a bit open though.
Old 2006-04-06, 10:29   Link #8
Sides

Wasn't there a rumour that Tales of Rebirth will make it to North America ?
I'm actually surprised that Legendia made it to NA.
Sides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-06, 14:00   Link #9
uLTraCarL-
Planet uLTraCarL Inc
*Fansubber

hate open endings
leaves much to be desired.

well lets all just hope that the team that did legendia will be able to bring over abyss as well. IMO they did a splendid job with legendia, aside from the budget cuts of voices from the character quests but that was beyond their control.

Old 2006-04-06, 17:14   Link #10
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sides
Namco will never EVER port Rebirth or Destiny II (( the real one )) because Namco believes that 2D RPGs won't sell well.

Which is kinda dumb considering that Tales of Legendia retains all the 2D-ish aspect of the older Tales games, compared to the next generation Tales of Symphonia and Abyss.

Tales of Legendia sold horribly though due to lack of advertising (( Damn Namco )), subpar professional reviews (( that compared it to ToA and ToS )), bad release timing (( 3 good RPGs in a same month )).
Old 2006-04-06, 18:04   Link #11
Village Idiot
Fate/ Stay Night

ToL sold around 20-25k copies

I loved Legendia for the character interaction alone.

But my gawd, Senel is dense....
Old 2006-04-06, 19:24   Link #12
uLTraCarL-
Planet uLTraCarL Inc
*Fansubber

to add to the 3 good RPG's, i wouldn't go around calling Grandia 3 a good RPG.
It is only good in the sense of its battle system, otherwise it is trash

Old 2006-04-06, 20:20   Link #13
Kaka
罪人クロノ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sides
I think people were rumouring about Abyss instead....
since they say the instruction manual of Legendia containes pictures of characters from Abyss
Kaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-06, 20:20   Link #14
Taylor--
!

Quote:
I agree. I regret buying Grandia 3, 10 hours in and I have to force myself to play it. Probably going to trade it in.

I also really hope on Abyss getting released here. I have doubts, and unless Namco actually pays attention to all the want for it all over RPG forums, it's kinda doubtful. After ToL's poor sales too.
Taylor-- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-06, 20:24   Link #15
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

Quote:
Fact : G III outsold ToL.

Fact : Square Enix label sells.

And ToL sold 26 thousand something.

And ToL indeed has the best character development and interaction in RPG, EVER.

Senel = dense? Towards Chloe maybe.

And whoever involved in ToL's budget management needs to get shot. They don't know how to manage balance. It's so much better to remove voice acting at needless parts of MQ and adding voices to the dramatic emotional parts of the CQ. It's all about balance.

And I hate the translation for Norma's nicknames and the ORZ. I prefered the Japanese one. Q. Kuro-chin. Sene-sene.
Old 2006-04-06, 21:47   Link #16
uLTraCarL-
Planet uLTraCarL Inc
*Fansubber

facts dont help that grandia 3 game content is pretty much trash.. well i guess its a fact that it sucks. where's that penny arcade again? oh yeah, here it is

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaka
I think people were rumouring about Abyss instead....
since they say the instruction manual of Legendia containes pictures of characters from Abyss
Yes and no. I believe it is the main characters from all the Tales series MINUS Symphonia. Correct me if I'm wrong there because I'm not fully sure ^_^

About the budget, they should have evened it up like in Symphonia. Not everything was voiced in Symphonia, all the important parts were.

Old 2006-04-06, 22:27   Link #17
Dark Lord Zenigame
ロリコン

Send a message via AIM to Dark Lord Zenigame
Tales of Legendia is far from a good game.

It's a chore to play until the end of chapter 4, where it gets really emotional. I was really hoping that the game would stay at that level.

But sadly, it doesn't. It degrades rapidly in terms of story and the battles don't get harder, the enemies' HP just keeps increasing. By the end of the game, two people I know were simply going through the motions, since they just wanted it to end.

And this is the Japanese version I'm talking about, too. I don't even want to think about the shitty job they did on the Us release...

I see quite a few people on messageboards saying that it's "the best Tales ever," but I can only wonder what the hell they're smoking.
Dark Lord Zenigame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-06, 22:45   Link #18
Kaka
罪人クロノ

Quote:
Yes and no. I believe it is the main characters from all the Tales series MINUS Symphonia. Correct me if I'm wrong there because I'm not fully sure ^_^
people argue that Symphonia is on GC and not PS2 for the US version
so that's why you don't see them XD
while the rest you see are on PS and PS2

but coming to america or not, it doesn't bother me
already got the jpn version since december ^^v

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Lord Zenigame
I see quite a few people on messageboards saying that it's "the best Tales ever," but I can only wonder what the hell they're smoking.
I found that a lot of people like to say "xxxxx is the best xxxx ever"
Kaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-07, 06:24   Link #19
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

Legendia has the GREATEST character development EVER. That's enough for me to enjoy it, even if it falls short EVERYWHERE else.

Take KH II for example. It's very lacklustre in it's story pacing and story telling, causing a major part of it's story from the Disney movies to lose it's original work's flair and emotion especially the Lion King. Not to mention the XIII Order came out pretty mediocre as villians, with most of them having zero character development outside Axel and Xemnas. And there's quite a bit of left out bits from CoM, causing certain moments to be extremely weird, and not as CoM promised.

It is a good game overall, but far from the great game everyone's saying it is.
Old 2006-04-07, 18:24   Link #20
celcius
Aspiring but lazy

Personally, I liked ToL. Call me whatever, but I was glued to the PS2 and rushing following the story. Even if I already know what will happen next, I was still pulled into the game. This is actually saying much since the max I play games for the last year has been 1-2 hours; I played ToL for straight 5-6 hours, just like old times. I will admit that there are glaring flaws, especially the battle system. But both the main quest and CQ's have proven to be interesting enough to pull me in. ^^

I haven't played Symphonia, Rebirth, or Abyss, and didn't finish Destiny 2, so I can't compare this to them; but out of the 1st three Tales, I'd say ToP is tops then ToL, followed by ToE then ToD.

Music is also nice. Some of the songs are great (Fallingwater BGM, Hidden Fortress BGM, Crystal Forest BGM, etc).

Sooooo... what do you guys think of Shirley? Selfish, spoiled brat or are her actions somehow justifiable (is this a word?)?
celcius is offline   Reply With Quote