Notices

Old 2016-07-20, 09:26   Link #21
an1m3b0y

AWTS! i really hate when subaru dies
an1m3b0y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-25, 05:37   Link #22
Syan48306
Forgotten Lurker

Episode 17 suggests that Emilia needs to overcome these "ordeals" to what?

Spoiler for Episode 17 Spoiler:
Syan48306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-25, 12:29   Link #23
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
I hope Emilia gets some good moments in the rest of the show. I thought this arc would be more focused on her....and it is, but it isn't. Her existence matters to this arc, but she's not around Subaru for much of it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syan48306 View Post
Episode 17 suggests that Emilia needs to overcome these "ordeals" to what?

Spoiler for Episode 17 Spoiler:
It is odd that it appears this cult is trying to...test her? But testing her in a way that they have no issue if she actually dies. Apparently they are very set on making it a legitimate trial.

Nothing more frustrating than a group that makes your life hell and even if you win...they'll probably be happy about it.
Old 2016-07-26, 06:23   Link #24
Cerilla

The more I look at her, the more I feel Emilia is Subaru's mom instead of love interest
Old 2016-07-31, 14:16   Link #25
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

Am I the only one that feels that Emilia is more of a plot device than a character?
HayashiTakara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-31, 14:17   Link #26
bakato

Quote:
Originally Posted by HayashiTakara View Post
Am I the only one that feels that Emilia is more of a plot device than a character?
I'll be the first to admit that she hasn't gotten much development. We've learned very little about her.
Old 2016-07-31, 14:27   Link #27
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakato View Post
I'll be the first to admit that she hasn't gotten much development. We've learned very little about her.
Little is an overstatement, I'm pretty sure the exact number of times she had development is 0.

I think Emilia is just there to move the plot along. All the bad things is centered around her, and if Subaru wasn't gunning for her, the plot wouldn't move. She can be a lamp post and the story wouldn't change.
Old 2016-07-31, 14:30   Link #28
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

Quote:
Little is an overstatement, I'm pretty sure the exact number of times she had development is 0.
Well, if you want to be pedantic about it a large part of episodes 1a and 1b were about her character, specifically the parts that made Subaru fall in love with her (selflessness in particular.) Her development has been peppered out since then (beginning of arc2, begining of arc 3) but it's clearly there. So sporadic? yes. Zero? hardly.
Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-31, 14:33   Link #29
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
Well, if you want to be pedantic about it a large part of episodes 1a and 1b were about her character, specifically the parts that made Subaru fall in love with her (selflessness in particular.) Her development has been peppered out since then (beginning of arc2, begining of arc 3) but it's clearly there. So sporadic? yes. Zero? hardly.
She's a nice girl and... that's it, that's all they've established, development means progression of character, she's had none.

She doesn't even like Subaru, she doesn't try to listen to him, try to understand him or anything. She's extremely selfish, she's doesn't try to understand the "why" instead she's focused on the fact that Subaru didn't listen to her.

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2016-07-31 at 22:37. Reason: Removed part that went too far
Old 2016-07-31, 14:37   Link #30
bakato

Quote:
She's a nice girl and... that's it, that's all they've established, development means progression of character, she's had none.

She doesn't even like Subaru, she doesn't try to listen to him, try to understand him or anything. She's extremely selfish, she's doesn't try to understand the "why" instead she's focused on the fact that Subaru didn't listen to her. Seriously though, fuck her, I hope to see her die again.
Development means progress in the eyes of the audience. A character doesn't have to change to develop. Showing the audience her nature that we didn't know before is development.

She does like him. She was perfectly willing to hear him out and that didn't end well for her.
Old 2016-07-31, 14:39   Link #31
Proto

From the anime thread.

Quote:

She doesn't even like Subaru, she doesn't try to listen to him, try to understand him or anything. She's extremely selfish, she's doesn't try to understand the "why" instead she's focused on the fact that Subaru didn't listen to her. Seriously though, fuck her, I hope to see her die again.
I mean development as in character exposition more than character progression. Just getting definitions out of the way.

Other than that, as they say communication is a two way road. Paraphrasing Emilia herself: "The Emilia inside you must be a great person. She can understand you without you needing to explain anything to her." Granted, she is flawed, but so are all the characters in this series or in real life. For Subaru Emilia is still the person who saved him when he most needed it without asking anything for return and sometimes to her own detriment. We saw this episode how powerful those facts can be when moving someone's heart.
Old 2016-07-31, 14:43   Link #32
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakato View Post
Development means progress in the eyes of the audience. A character doesn't have to change to develop. Showing the audience her nature that we didn't know before is development.

She does like him. She was perfectly willing to hear him out and that didn't end well for her.
Go back and watch the scene when Subaru was talking to Emilia in the capital after he got his ass kicked in the duel. She tried to understand him so much that she cut off ties with him.
Old 2016-07-31, 14:46   Link #33
Wandering Soul

Quote:

So if Emilia is selfish, why did she stop to help him and various other people out when they met out in arc 1, despite the fact that she was in a rush to find her missing insignia?

If she doesn't try to understand or listen to him, how was she able to see through the mask he was wearing in the mansion and help him out by giving him that lap pillow?

She has tried to listen to him in this arc too, though Subaru only paid back her kindness by breaking their promises, lying to her, and expecting her to just shut up and do whatever he says. The one time he was able to explain everything to her, it didn't end well.

I don't know where you got this whole Emilia is selfish and only cares about herself idea from.
Old 2016-07-31, 14:48   Link #34
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wandering Soul View Post
So if Emilia is selfish, why did she stop to help him and various other people out when they met out in arc 1, despite the fact that she was in a rush to find her missing insignia?

If she doesn't try to understand or listen to him, how was she able to see through the mask he was wearing in the mansion and help him out by giving him that lap pillow?

She has tried to listen to him in this arc too, though Subaru only paid back her kindness by breaking their promises, lying to her, and expecting her to just shut up and do whatever he says. The one time he was able to explain everything to her, it didn't end well.

I don't know where you got this whole Emilia is selfish and only cares about herself idea from.
Oh I dunno, maybe the "yeah you're right, you did help me out a lot, let me repay it, bye bitch"

Being nice doesn't mean you're selfless, she has an agenda for Subaru. She even muttered under her breath that she had expectations of him and was disappointed. Meaning she's probably trying to use him for whatever purpose.
Old 2016-07-31, 15:01   Link #35
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

Quote:
From the anime thread.

I mean development as in character exposition more than character progression. Just getting definitions out of the way.

Other than that, as they say communication is a two way road. Paraphrasing Emilia herself: "The Emilia inside you must be a great person. She can understand you without you needing to explain anything to her." Granted, she is flawed, but so are all the characters in this series or in real life. For Subaru Emilia is still the person who saved him when he most needed it without asking anything for return and sometimes to her own detriment. We saw this episode how powerful those facts can be when moving someone's heart.
Pretty sure saving him from a mugging isn't his lowest low... In this current arc. He needed it most, and she turned her back on him only to drive him further into insanity.

Who was it that understood Subaru the best, who's love brought him back from insanity? sure as hell not Emilia.

Last edited by HayashiTakara; 2016-07-31 at 15:27.
Old 2016-07-31, 15:04   Link #36
Proto

Quote:
Pretty sure saving him from a mugging isn't his lowest low... In this current arc. He needed it most in this current arc and she turned his back on him only to drive him further into insanity.
Sorry I wasn't clear, I was referencing her helping him get up during the 5th loop in arc 2, although when I said to her own detriment I did mean arc 1 ep 1. My bad.
Old 2016-07-31, 16:22   Link #37
Applehell

Quote:
From the anime thread.

Well said. Subaru ulitmately pushed Emilia away, by not being honest with her and putting on airs and never bother really didn't see things from her perspective. Part of that of course had to do with his mismatched expriences with her thanks to RbD (which came to bitehim back in the ass numerous times).
Applehell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-31, 16:28   Link #38
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Oh I dunno, maybe the "yeah you're right, you did help me out a lot, let me repay it, bye bitch"
Huh no, the problem is that Subaru is trying to help Emilia in such destructive manner that she considered cutting ties to make him stop. Note she put a huge emphasis that he shouldn't push himself like that, but he did that countless times.
The way how Subaru acted was definitely enough for her to call him out.

Quote:
Being nice doesn't mean you're selfless, she has an agenda for Subaru. She even muttered under her breath that she had expectations of him and was disappointed. Meaning she's probably trying to use him for whatever purpose.
No, she was expecting Subaru to treat her "normally". The way how Subaru acted with her in arc 1 and arc 3 are completely different. In Arc 3, Subaru was recklessly trying to put Emilia on a pedestal without even considering what she wanted him to do. Subaru never listened to her and had his way which lead to the multiple humiliations he got.

Every time she had the occasion, Emilia asked Subaru the reason for his actions. Even when he challenged Julius despite their promise, she wanted to know his reason instead of condemning him immediately for breaking their promise.
Old 2016-07-31, 16:30   Link #39
Wandering Soul

Quote:

Emilia already stated that the expectation she had for Subaru was that he would treat her like a normal girl. She didn't want to be put on a pedestal (which he does) or be hated because she resembles Satella, she just wanted someone that would be her friend and treat her normally.
Old 2016-07-31, 16:37   Link #40
DemonneoPT

Quote:
Originally Posted by moridin84 View Post
In regards to those people complaining that Emilia is just a plot device... well yeah to a degree she is. I think she had a certain amount of development as well, though. In any case, I think you guys at just mad at Emilia because she wrecks the Subaru X Rem ship. That's not very mature.
This. I still do not get why Rem can not be the best girl and a character to be praised from the fans if she does not end up with the MC..lol. No need to hate Emilia for that. Shipping wars are so weird
DemonneoPT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
characters