AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2011-01-29, 23:10   Link #421
U<3Anime
Boo!

I had lieing if I said I wasn't disappointed with the ending. Did they actually blow all their budget in the previous episode? I was expecting an earth shattering battle between 2 giants. Instead, we got an epilogue for the last half of the episode. Talk about Anti-Climatic!

Overall, HeartCatch turned out to be a really enjoyable series. Initially, I was totally turned off by the character designs, but surprisingly, I managed to catch all the episodes from begining to end.

I'll be keeping my expectaions low for Suite and I'm hoping it will surprise me like how HeartCatch did.
Old 2011-01-29, 23:15   Link #422
Midonin
Last Engage

Quote:
Originally Posted by U<3Anime View Post
Instead, we got an epilogue for the last half of the episode. Talk about Anti-Climatic!
Do not underestimate the power of denouement. Shows that allow themselves an epilogue are generally well versed in storytelling. One of my favorite shows spent two episodes on the epilogue, wrapping up loose plot points and giving characters a fitting final bow, and Heartcatch's decision to do so was one made well.

The epilogue wasn't totally a waste. As that final shot hints at, what's happened now has happened many times before. And will happen many times again.
Midonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-30, 05:43   Link #423
scr
my sides are in orbit

Damn, everyone beats me to it! Is there a recent surge of interest toward Magical Girls or what?

Spoiler for episode49:

And yes, when things started getting really bad i sorta hoped that the Arc Gurren Lagann will appear out of nowhere
If there's a Final Fantasy game that I must put my personal seal of disapproval on, it's Crisis Core. I mean, just look at how this Genesis Rhapsodos dude is raping the canon. It's bad. As in, fanfiction bad.
scr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-31, 07:08   Link #424
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

Great, great show. Genuinely great. It stands alone despite the show being one of the series of magical girl shows that typically has a high wall against non fans and outsiders.

And some of the battle scenes were just jaw dropping the last 3-4 eps. And ep 48 made me have watery eyes even though I feel the characters weren't as fleshed out as they could have been, especially the wave of deus-ex plot twists in the last 4 episodes.

But great voice acting, great animation, great production and a general feel-good attitude of the series carried the day.

IMO this show is right up there with Pretty Cure Splash Star. Production-wise, it is tops easy. In fact, other than maybe The World God Only Knows, the most consistent animation quality I've seen this past year.
SuperKnuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-31, 11:03   Link #425
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

Spoiler for episode 49:

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Nightengale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-31, 12:28   Link #426
Sageblink
Speculation is wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightengale View Post
Spoiler for episode 49:
Spoiler for episode 49:
Sageblink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-31, 21:52   Link #427
jcdietz03

This show is great. So Cool It's Awesome.
I feel like Gushing About This Show I Like.

I give this show 9/10, and it is my new most favorite anime. My previous favorite anime was Inuyasha, the first one I ever watched.

What makes it great?
Characters and Voice Acting: All of the main characters, and most of the side characters have excellent voice actors. The exception is [see spoiler below], in my opinion.

Good writing: They gave the characters good lines to say. Somehow, even uber-cliche stuff like "With these feelings, I will not lose to anyone!" give you chills when they are delivered with such force.

Animation quality: This is what put it over Inuyasha. Inuyasha is guilty of having Action Hogging Openings, when the opening has at least as much action as an entire episode. But no, not with this show! They have an action packed opening, but even more action in the actual show! The fighting! My god the fighting! Sometimes I wonder if this series is really for little girls.

Sound and Music: Sound is spot on. They put a lot of effort in the music department too: Two full soundtrack's worth! Like every show, they reuse their BGM, but it didn't feel repetitive to me because the songs are awesome and they don't repeat that often because there are so many. A couple of insert songs in Ep 36 and 48 (actually the same one in both) round out the package.

Character Detail:
I didn't like Honoka, the shy cure from the first season of pretty cure. I do like Tsubomi. I think it's because she's cuter than Honoka and has a better voice actor.

Erika is my favorite character. Erika, I will miss your energy, silly faces, and constant jokes!

Spoiler for 3rd and 4th Ranger:

The villains are good too. Many people didn't like the villains because they get no character development whatsoever. The main three villains are there to add humor (and antagonists). I always enjoy watching their antics. Just when you thought it was too easy for the Precure to win, they get a mid-season power upgrade (even though it turns out to be mostly useless). They all have their own funny way of talking - Sasorina the beauty queen, Kumojacky the tough guy, and Cobraja the pretty boy. Sasorina is at her best when angry - "I'll get those Precure next time!!" Kumojacky is at his best when thinking up a new move - "With this typhoon punch, I will destroy the Precure, and their little fairy too!" I didn't like Cobraja much. Let's not forget the snackies who just exude humor. I think they are cute too, with their "Kiii" pokemon-esque battle cry. They are so cute, it hard not to smile when they do something. My favorite scene was where the snackies are fighting against Erika - they retreat and patch themselves up with sand, a funnel, and tape! How resilient!

I like Sabaaku and Dark Precure. They're the badass villians, more evil than the above mentioned (who are just there for humor). It seems like these guys care more about winning than the others. DPC kicks major butt and wins easily whenever she shows up, and has a great voice actor to boot. The motivations of the villains (why they want to destroy the world) is never revealed, which would have been a nice addition.

What's wrong with this show?
Only about 3/4 of the episodes were actually good. That's a great accomplishment for such a long series. Sorry HPC, can't win 'em all. Episode 5 and 6 are the first examples. The bad ones are spread throughout the series.

The tacts, ??? [spoiler], and ??? [spoiler] seem like children's toys rather than instruments of power. The kokoro pot didn't seem as bad, probably because Kobato had one too. Also, it's not supposed to be an instrument of power.

I didn't mind the repetitive transformation sequences because I usually skip them when I watch. Especially in the first half of the show they seemed repetitive.
jcdietz03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-31, 22:06   Link #428
Midonin
Last Engage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcdietz03 View Post
The tacts seem like children's toys rather than instruments of power.
To put it most bluntly, that's because they are. But that's not really a bad thing. The other shows Precure airs with are just as guilty, if not moreso. (Goseiger, I'm looking at you.)
Midonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-31, 22:10   Link #429
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

HeartCatch PreCure: First Pretty Cure Finished within a Year or Less

Minna!

Right now I've concluded HeartCatch Precure with the last episode, as of recently.

A masterpiece that TOEI brought and delivered solid or almost to its targeted audience.

To me it became the first for the following points:
1. First Pretty Cure series that I finished out of sequential order from the release order of the previous series.

2. First Pretty Cure series that I began, followed, and ended through fansubs.

3. And this will be to me the only Pretty Cure series in the whole franchise that I concluded in a record time of 346 days, and that's thanks at being dedicated with the releases.

But the special thanks go to Doremi fansubs for allowing me this achievement, and I do appreciate sincerely the great effort you guys put through with HeartCatch.

Well, the epilogue was unexpected but given that recent Pretty Cure series have been breaking some established traditions within the entire franchise, it was appreciated and commendable.

The thing that bothered me quite a lot it wasn't the climax of the last showdown.
Spoiler:

Now, one gorgeous detail that surely would have added a tender, dramatic moment would have been for....
Spoiler:

Now moving with that issue...
Spoiler:

Overall, HeartCatch presented and preserved a thought-out, constructed storyline making sure to flesh the heroines properly so for the audience to watch them grow as people and at an empathetic level.

Too bad, they didn't go for some character growth for Sasorina, Kumojacky, and Cobraja; that's what it looked like me.

For everything that HeartCatch put a smile on my face with the characters and the storyline, I bestow this series with a high-score that not even I granted to the first Futari Wa Pretty Cure series. It deserves an 85% mark from my part.
Guido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-31, 22:55   Link #430
Sageblink
Speculation is wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guido View Post
Minna!

Right now I've concluded HeartCatch Precure with the last episode, as of recently.

A masterpiece that TOEI brought and delivered solid or almost to its targeted audience.

To me it became the first for the following points:
1. First Pretty Cure series that I finished out of sequential order from the release order of the previous series.

2. First Pretty Cure series that I began, followed, and ended through fansubs.

3. And this will be to me the only Pretty Cure series in the whole franchise that I concluded in a record time of 346 days, and that's thanks at being dedicated with the releases.

But the special thanks go to Doremi fansubs for allowing me this achievement, and I do appreciate sincerely the great effort you guys put through with HeartCatch.

Well, the epilogue was unexpected but given that recent Pretty Cure series have been breaking some established traditions within the entire franchise, it was appreciated and commendable.

The thing that bothered me quite a lot it wasn't the climax of the last showdown.
Spoiler:

Now, one gorgeous detail that surely would have added a tender, dramatic moment would have been for....
Spoiler:

Now moving with that issue...
Spoiler:

Overall, HeartCatch presented and preserved a thought-out, constructed storyline making sure to flesh the heroines properly so for the audience to watch them grow as people and at an empathetic level.

Too bad, they didn't go for some character growth for Sasorina, Kumojacky, and Cobraja; that's what it looked like me.

For everything that HeartCatch put a smile on my face with the characters and the storyline, I bestow this series with a high-score that not even I granted to the first Futari Wa Pretty Cure series. It deserves an 85% mark from my part.
Amen to you !
Old 2011-02-01, 07:03   Link #431
Liddo-kun
is this so?

A little sad to see the final episode, but all good things do come to an end..
I began this series last year, primarily because Nana Mizuki is the voice of Tsubomi. Though after some episodes I began to enjoy the series for what it is, and not just because Nana Mizuki the seiyuu of the lead character.

The "cartoon" feel of the character designs was a turn-off at first, but the decent action scenes made up for it. What surprised me most though is the storyline, some of the episodes are mature for a show aimed at young audience. For example,
Spoiler for Mother's Day episode:

The action packed debut of Cure Sunshine sealed the deal, and I watched Heartcatch up the end.

And lastly, this is the second precure series that actually made me spend cash (first one is Precure 5). Got the Heartcatch Jigsaw Puzzle last Christmas, and the Heartcatch Vocal Best CD a few days ago (has an english version of Tomorrow Song).

Last edited by Liddo-kun; 2011-02-01 at 09:04.
Liddo-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-01, 09:50   Link #432
Sageblink
Speculation is wrong.

Spoiler for Heartcatch little tiny quick review:
Old 2011-02-01, 10:55   Link #433
Dop
Mmmm....

Started watching this show out of curiosity, got fished in by the 'Cure Moonlight - Dark Precure' dynamic, loved the sparkly attacks ("Shiny Tambourine!" never failed to make me smile) and was completely hooked.

Yeah, they could have had a big Gurren Lagann style battle between giga-Dune and Cure Infinite, but that would have been missing the message. The power of infinite love beats all, even a bad guy who tries to punch out the Earth.

On earth, nothing is stronger than love...

I also loved the way they had time to wrap everything up with some nice closure. I did wonder earlier if we'd ever see the real Sasorina again, and we did!

Overall, I enjoyed this series a lot more than I expected to when I started. That's always a win.
Dop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-01, 20:13   Link #434
U<3Anime
Boo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midonin View Post
Do not underestimate the power of denouement. Shows that allow themselves an epilogue are generally well versed in storytelling. One of my favorite shows spent two episodes on the epilogue, wrapping up loose plot points and giving characters a fitting final bow, and Heartcatch's decision to do so was one made well.

The epilogue wasn't totally a waste. As that final shot hints at, what's happened now has happened many times before. And will happen many times again.
I think i was just pretty spoiled by all the build up of action and intensity from the previous episodes before the final episode. One of the main attractions of this series for me has always been the awesome action you would rarely find in this type of genre and 46-49 totally exceeded me expectations. I could say it was truly a blessing and the action rivaled, if not, better than other action-oriented shows I have been watching lately. Hence, why seeing Dune, the almighty king of desert, who single-handedly turned the entire earth into a wasteland, get's knocked out by......one punch? Is quite a downer for all the anitcipation i had built up for the final climatic battle. I think it doesn't help much either when we still don't really know much about Dune in the end(Like am i suppose to pity him eventhough I dont know much about him?). I truly think he truly deserves a better fight in the end. I just can't help but shake off the impression that the fight was totally rushed.

I'm not a hater for epilogues by any means. Infact, I dislike shows that cut short on epilogue without much sense of a closure. I just feel like a good balance of a climatic battle and epilogue could have been made if they squeezed in every last minute they could by cutting out the usual OP&ED song sequences(Personal taste, but I find it a shame that anime rarely do that now).

But really, I'm jumped in without much expecations. I have only checked out clips of previous precure in the past and know they had good fight scenes here and there. However, outside of the action, the story and the characters do make a good job at making you laugh, cry and heartwarming moments that just makes your all body fuzzy in general. The mother's day episode did moved me a bit and got me teary. On other hand, the summer homework episode sure had me laughing in stiches because of how lot's of us could be related to Erika's situation.

Seeing the new series reverting back to original precure designing is a bit saddening. I will forever miss all the, crazy, cute, humourous expressions from the cast in HeartCatch.

The show is not perfect, and it does have moments that put me to sleep. However, a show that is mainly targetted towards little girls and being this entertaining is quite an accomplishment. Am I a Precure Fan now? Yes, it seem like I have been converted into, but not a big one. My favourite kid show from the morning schedule is still the one for boys, Kamen Rider. I have to say, Kamen Rider has improved a lot in the recent years. Kamen Rider OOO is currently my favourite( I had doubts that it could beat W). However it has gotten me hooked since the first episode. Perhaps it's because they try to fit in some plot progression within every episode.

I just hope that the future Precure series will continue to get better like how Kamen Rider is doing.
Old 2011-02-01, 20:37   Link #435
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

In my case, I was asking too much for HeartCatch with each episode on how about the baddies can actually deliver a fighting back, or how about introducing some other gloomy aspects into the storyline.

Now, that I look back at this show, IMO, HeartCatch Precure has been as well the gloomiest entry into the franchise up to now that TOEI handled from preventing the storyline or scope tresspassing away from the mahou-shoujo guidelines.

I mean just take a look of some serious stuff that happened in the series:
Spoiler:
Guido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-01, 21:13   Link #436
fertygo
Hyakko Fanboy

I'm just love this series, easily the most enjoying show I watch in last 2 year...

The animation is so gorgeous, bloody hell the fight is just... the music, pacing... even most of filler is good. And I'm just love the Precure roster, all of them is likable n balancing to each other. Cheerful Erika, Shy Tsubomi, tomboy Itsuki, Mature Yuri, God knows how much I love them.

I'm can't say much about this series, because I love everything about its.
Old 2011-02-02, 00:17   Link #437
jcdietz03

Unanswered (and mostly pointless questions):
What is the light that comes out of Tsubomi's chest when she holds the kokoro perfume against it? You can see it clearly in this shot:

This is present for all the characters except Moonlight.

After the opening scene, it seems like Hakase has won, once and for all. He even says the world now belongs to the Desert Apostles.
Spoiler for Spoiler:

What is the reason for Dune's hatred? Why does he want to make the world into a desert?

Why does DPC give up in episode 10?

Why does Hakase stop DPC in episode 13 when she's clearly winning?
---------------

Another couple things that makes HPC different:
1) They transform independently. Most seasons of Precure don't do that.
2) They wear shiny dresses in the transformation sequences. All other Precure and most other magical girl shows use shiny bodies.
jcdietz03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-02, 00:27   Link #438
Sageblink
Speculation is wrong.

Quote:
What is the light that comes out of Tsubomi's chest when she holds the kokoro perfume against it? You can see it clearly in this shot:

This is present for all the characters except Moonlight.
IMO, it's the result of the perfume spray. It's her heart which is opening. Or simply the perfume itself turning into her outfit.
And as Moonlight uses the Heartpot, maybe that's why she doesn't get her shining burst during her henshin...

Quote:
After the opening scene, it seems like Hakase has won, once and for all. He even says the world now belongs to the Desert Apostles. Why hasn't he already won at this point?
Because he wasn't expecting for a new Precure to appear so fast.

Quote:
What is the reason for Dune's hatred?
Too much sand, no water to make castles.

Quote:
Why does DPC give up in episode 10?
Cause seeing Yuri made her realised she got unfinished business with Moonlight, and that the 2 new Precure are too weak for her to be afraid. Hey, she's born to fight Moonlight, right ?

Quote:
Why does Hakase stop DPC in episode 13 when she's clearly winning?
Maybe he hoped that the Precure would give up, Dark Precure being much stronger (and scary)... Actually, i'm clueless on that one, cause it's been a while.
Old 2011-02-02, 03:07   Link #439
Laevatein

Really enjoyed this series. It's not going to revolutionise the genre or anything, but it's a very well done example of a magical girl show.

I'm looking forward to Suite.
Laevatein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-02, 08:30   Link #440
scr
my sides are in orbit

Spoiler for large image:

This is probably what happened when Yuri went home after she saved the world. Is it bad if i laugh to this?
If there's a Final Fantasy game that I must put my personal seal of disapproval on, it's Crisis Core. I mean, just look at how this Genesis Rhapsodos dude is raping the canon. It's bad. As in, fanfiction bad.
scr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fantasy, mahou-shoujo