AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-06-02, 14:06   Link #521
macdawson

I was taking screencaps from episode 2 and when i got to 10m13s mark and the 314th picture, as i took it i realised something wich i don't know if either people just didn't notice or did notice and thought it was to much of a spoiler to post, even with spoiler tags but...

Spoiler:
macdawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-02, 14:48   Link #522
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

The background data suggests that Yuria (the third shift Radar Operator) can detect supernatural activity.

She the youngest of the females. The one with twin tales that was listening to music on the bus while being checked out by the young security officer that was sitting next to her.

(I did see the original third episode again...the one were they have the large meeting of the crew and Okita's speech. There they have a extra wide seletion of uniform colors. Most would never be seen again...or perhaps rarely seen due to characters being miscolored. However I finally noticed one color set I'd not seen before. The black on grey uniforms they use now for security. They are at the very right top edge of the screen as the shot starts to pan down and left. The episode by episode guild on Starblazers.com has a picture of it.

Old 2012-06-02, 16:02   Link #523
August138

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
Enjoying this anime tremendously, though seeing current-day animation with old-school beam sounds feels weird. Not bad, just... weird.
Weird? The sound effects are timeless; those who aren't hardcore Yamato fans wouldn't have notice that they're "old school" if we didn't make such a big deal out of pointing out that they are (and there are new sound effects, too).

(BTW, I don't think anyone thinks that the current DOCTOR WHO series using the original sound effects for the TARDIS is "weird", either. It's just the correct sound effect we're supposed to be hearing — the original sound effects are a big part of YAMATO, as is the original music score.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by macdawson View Post
They use them because they were way ahead of their time in that department. Also...they're just awesome.
Precisely.
Old 2012-06-02, 16:04   Link #524
August138

Quote:
I was taking screencaps from episode 2 and when i got to 10m13s mark and the 314th picture, as i took it i realised something wich i don't know if either people just didn't notice or did notice and thought it was to much of a spoiler to post, even with spoiler tags but...

Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Old 2012-06-02, 16:23   Link #525
August138

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
(I did see the original third episode again...the one were they have the large meeting of the crew and Okita's speech. There they have a extra wide seletion of uniform colors. Most would never be seen again...or perhaps rarely seen due to characters being miscolored. However I finally noticed one color set I'd not seen before. The black on grey uniforms they use now for security. They are at the very right top edge of the screen as the shot starts to pan down and left. The episode by episode guild on Starblazers.com has a picture of it.

That's why Izubuchi and company included them this time around; remember, they are extremely hardcore fans of the original series — they've been over every inch of the original episodes, discarded plot ideas, gaffes, and so on, to the most infinite detail. I was also told by Juniichiro Tamamori (one of the main mecha designers on the series) that they are also using elements from the original manga adaptations — including those by Akira Hio and (I imagine) Yuki Hijiri.

That was one of the first things I noticed when I saw the new trailer; the air assault on the Pluto Base — with two Cosmo Zeroes flying inches above the ground to avoid radar detection — is straight out of Hio's original manga. When I noticed that's where it came from, Tamamori said that they are also using elements from the various manga — they are considering the entire scope of "First Yamato" variations. The collective consciousness, so to speak, which most of those outside of Japan would have little awareness of.

Here's part of the Cosmo Zero attack on the Pluto Base from Hio's manga:

Old 2012-06-02, 19:12   Link #526
macdawson

Quote:
Originally Posted by August138 View Post
Spoiler:
Ah!!! I see what you did there. But if they had done that what would that do for her relationship with Kodai?!
Old 2012-06-02, 20:05   Link #527
August138

Quote:
Ah!!! I see what you did there. But if they had done that what would that do for her relationship with Kodai?!
Spoiler:
Old 2012-06-02, 21:26   Link #528
ars89
One-Eyed Dragon

Spoiler for ep 2:

Anyone know how many eps will be released on the next volume?
Old 2012-06-02, 22:30   Link #529
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

4 episodes on each of the remaining 6 volumes.
Old 2012-06-02, 22:58   Link #530
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Location: 1st Ra Cailum-class battleship Ra Cailum, port-side officer's bunks
Quote:
4 episodes on each of the remaining 6 volumes.
Good, considering we have to wait a month for each new volume. >.>

So Yamamoto's character was replaced with his younger sister, eh? We'll see how that goes. (I have no complaints though )
Old 2012-06-03, 00:23   Link #531
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Two months. Though I'm guessing after the first one they might pick up the pace a little. It was nearly two months before the first episodes were released outside a theater, and it will be about a month still until the next set gets into a theater (with one more month after that before the DVD/BD get sold outside a theater). But it is imagined that the third film will come out in August. So eight weeks or so between films as oppose to 12 weeks it will be between film one and two.
Old 2012-06-03, 04:29   Link #532
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Location: 1st Ra Cailum-class battleship Ra Cailum, port-side officer's bunks
Quote:
Two months.
Oh whoops, that's right.
Old 2012-06-03, 05:00   Link #533
macdawson

Quote:
Originally Posted by ars89 View Post
Spoiler for ep 2:

Anyone know how many eps will be released on the next volume?
Production IG's schedulle had the last movie being released in February but if they don't speed things up i don't see how they'll do it by then. I'm eager to watch all this and the sooner they come the better, as long as they don't sacrifice quality.

As for the engine, they actually stoped it quite a few times, the first of them on the floating continent. They never explained the reason why they needed so much power but my guess is that it's only needed for the inicial start up of the engine core. After it's been energized, the engine can be turned off because the core itself is already active. Besides, it's a nice dramatic point and a way to keep the Yamato on the ground until the missile comes closer.

Spoiler:
Old 2012-06-03, 06:12   Link #534
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by August138 View Post
Weird? The sound effects are timeless; those who aren't hardcore Yamato fans wouldn't have notice that they're "old school" if we didn't make such a big deal out of pointing out that they are (and there are new sound effects, too).

(BTW, I don't think anyone thinks that the current DOCTOR WHO series using the original sound effects for the TARDIS is "weird", either. It's just the correct sound effect we're supposed to be hearing — the original sound effects are a big part of YAMATO, as is the original music score.)
Well, it's more in comparison with other current day sci-fi anime. Over the years, the sound effects stepped away from the soft flowing sounds and started giving cannons more punch. Hearing these kinds of sound effects from beam cannons these days is exceedingly rare.

Again, I'm not saying it's bad, it just feels weird. Nostalgic would probably be a less offensive term.
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-03, 13:37   Link #535
August138

Quote:
Well, it's more in comparison with other current day sci-fi anime. Over the years, the sound effects stepped away from the soft flowing sounds and started giving cannons more punch. Hearing these kinds of sound effects from beam cannons these days is exceedingly rare.

Again, I'm not saying it's bad, it just feels weird. Nostalgic would probably be a less offensive term.
And again, I say that the original sound effects are a part and parcial of the Yamato Spirit; it wouldn't be weird, it would be just right. Meaning that it doesn't feel like Yamato unless the key music and sound effects are in place. Example, when the feature film SPACE BATTLESHIP YAMATO: RESURRECTION was released in 2009, a lot of fans complained that it didn't feel like Yamato, because the makers used completely different sound effects and very little of the signature Yamato music. So, earlier this year, they re-released the film as a "Director's Cut", with more of both, and it seemed to satisfy everyone (the film was also a different edit with a different ending, which also seems to have satisfied the long-time fan). Tellingly, the very first thing Yutaka Izubuchi queried the producers when he was asked to be the director of YAMATO: 2199, "Can I use the original sound effects?" — that's how important they are to Yamato.

Respectfully, it seems that you're just pigeonholing them, pedantically, because you feel that they're out-moded. But for YAMATO: 2199, they just didn't pull out the old master tapes and slap them on the ME Tracks; the've been reprocessed with more "punch" (I think you're driving at a "lack of bass" or "low end"). I suggest that you might want to watch this in the proper audio presentation, by viewing the Blu-ray (which is presented in Linear PCM Stereo), on a real sound system before making such assertions — just a suggestion. Otherwise, it's kind of a moot point. And as far as trying to find a "less offensive" (!?) term, dropping "nostalgic" doesn't make any sense in proper English.

nos·tal·gia /nɑˈstælʤə/ noun
[noncount] : pleasure and sadness that is caused by remembering something from the past and wishing that you could experience it again
▪ A wave of nostalgia swept over me when I saw my childhood home. ▪ He was filled with nostalgia for his college days.
— nos·tal·gic /nɑˈstælʤɪk/ adjective [more nostalgic; most nostalgic]
▪ nostalgic memories ▪ Seeing pictures of my old friends made me feel very nostalgic. ▪ They remained nostalgic about the good old days.
— nos·tal·gi·cal·ly /nɑˈstælʤɪkli/ adverb
▪ She spoke nostalgically about her childhood on the farm.

I think what you're groping for is "antiquated":

an·ti·quat·ed /ˈantiˌkwātid/ adj
1: obsolete <an antiquated calendar>
2: outmoded or discredited by reason of age : being out of style or fashion <antiquated methods of farming>
3: advanced in age
• He has some pretty antiquated opinions about politics.
<saw an antiquated hand-cranked rope-making machine at the textiles museum>

Again, you have your opinion — and you're entitled to it — based on seeing the HD 1080p Blu-ray in PCM Stereo (or DVD) on a proper home theater set up, yes? Or just over the low-res interwebs with some tinny desk speakers, right?

In any case, even if you don't like them, you shouldn't let such a minor detail (to you) ruin the enjoyment of watching YAMATO: 2199. That would be akin to missing the forest for the trees.

Last edited by August138; 2012-06-03 at 13:58.
August138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-03, 15:44   Link #536
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

@August138:

You're really arguing about nothing here, considering Keroko's stance. He knows that the sounds are from the original. All he's saying is that he finds the use of old-school sfx wierd. Nothing more, nothing less. And I can relate because I actually have a similar feeling on the matter: hearing the old-school sfx is difficult to describe at worst.

And who says it's ruining Keroko's enjoyment?

Quote:
Enjoying this anime tremendously, though seeing current-day animation with old-school beam sounds feels weird. Not bad, just... weird.
We're enjoying the anime regardless of our opinion of the sfx, which we both think isn't a bad thing at all, just odd. It's not as if we're saying "OMFG OLD SCHOOL SFX SHITSUXX".

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-03, 15:54   Link #537
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

*rubs temples* Yeah. Lowe pretty much nailed it.

Honestly, August, I'm all for debating this subject, but did you even read my post before leaping into white knight mode? Because given how many baseless if not outright false accusations you hurl my way it makes me think you aren't, and as much as I love debating (which anyone who has seen me post can attest) I really don't want to start a debate if my posts aren't even being read.

So here's the bottomline: Do I like Yamato? Yes. A lot. It's awesome and I will continue to follow it.

What is my opinion on the beam sounds? Feels weird. As a fan of sci-fi anime, I have grown up with the change to beam sounds, and am now used to beam sounds sounding differently. Hearing the old-school sound is a rather big throwback.

Do I think the old-school sound effects are bad? NO. Not. At. All. It feels weird. Weird does not equal bad. It's just a feeling that'll pass over time.
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-03, 16:15   Link #538
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Well the BD player I acquired (free) is a little touchy. I'll need to either figure out what trick they were using to get things to stay loaded (it played for 12 seconds and then just cut out), or gather some funds and get a new one.

So I have no means at the moment to say one way or the other on the subtitling.

However I was able to watch it elsewhere. It looks good. Most of it I understood via just knowing the story and some general Japanese I think I've picked up over the years. A few places I don't know what is going on exactly. Mostly those scenes involving Yamamoto, and of course picking out specific details in other scenes.

The earlier mention of Akira Hio's version of the manga leads me again to the path of one Mamoru Kodai. The Gamilus storyline with more court intrigue. Also the new Earth Cruisers do look a bit like the pirate ship from later in that series.

I am guessing the transport ship of the Gamilus on the mechanical section will replace the old Plantary Patrol vessel that looks like a Mazone cruiser.
Old 2012-06-03, 16:48   Link #539
Beltane70

Quote:
Well, "Wave Motion Cartridges", but yes, thick energy resistant armor was on the larger Dark Nebula ships. So thick (or absorbant) on the stations that even a Wave Motion Gun was useless. (My belief is that these "Fusion Shells" are a predecessor to the "Wave Motion Cartridges" which will have more power in them.)

I'm uncetain about the Gamilus Fleet due to them (aside from the Battle at Pluto) being really easy to blow up for the entire rest of the series. Until the Garman ships of the third series, Gamilus ships pop really easy when just about anybody shoots at them. The exception to this seem to be the Battle Carriers, which seem to be able to take some punishment (one of the few ship types that takes a shock cannon hit and survives...even if it was punctured by the shot).

Only at the Battle at Pluto does energy seem to just bounce and disperses off their ships (in the original episode)...

...and in the modern version, the Earth blasts seem to be displaced around the hull by some sort of field. As the beam bends around the ship and then more or less follows its original path.

But so far...after Pluto...the subject of energy bouncing off the Gamilus ships never comes up again. At least in the old version. It hasn't come up yet in the new version.

Though, judgin from the scale increase on the Gamilus ships and their stated weapons...I'd actually take them up against the Dark Nebula Empire. They aren't a fleet of teeny tiny ships with only a few captial ships anymore. There weapons might not be as powerful as they could be, but they won't pop quite as easily against anyone not named Yamato.
As another poster mentioned, it probably just has to do with Yamato's weapons being more advanced than the older Earth weapons. Plus, Gamilas energy weapons seem to have no problem destroying their own ships. If you watch Yukikaze's last scene in the new version at around 09:57, you can actually notice a Gamilas ship being destroyed by a beam fired from another, offscreen, Gamilas ship.
Beltane70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-03, 16:55   Link #540
Endless Soul
Megane girl fan

I FINALLY had a chance to see the first two episodes.

My Zod, it was everything I expected it to be. I know the story pretty much be heart, however, I still couldn't help but be swept up in the drama of the launch. And the sounds, the sounds, they had me waxing nostalgic from when I was a boy so long ago.

I'm highly satisfied and I'm looking forward to the rest.

Endless "Nostalgic" Soul

Tags
classic, remake, science fiction, space opera, yamato