AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Lucky Star

Notices

View Poll Results: Lucky Star - Episode 22 Rating
Perfect 10 200 81.30%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 28 11.38%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 13 5.28%
7 out of 10 : Good 3 1.22%
6 out of 10 : Average 0 0%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 0.41%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 0.41%
Voters: 246. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2008-02-10, 16:47   Link #241
Dee Eon

What Gave Kanata Her Second Pair Of Angel Wings??

A Thread about my Fave Lucky Star character!

I want to comment that you all have been invaluable in my enjoying the show because my first encounter with ep 22 was thru some terribly translated fansubs which you all have straightened out for me and made sense of some very tender scenes! Thank you - thank you! Well, allow me to jump in late with an issue dear to my character -- mainly Kanata's untimely demise! There're lots of theories here on this so I'll toss mine into the pot!

I'm pretty sure it wasn't a violent accident because her passing isn't regarded with that tone of abrupt tragedy or grief it seems, but rather with the solemnness of expectancy. Accidental causes are usually mentioned to as death (at least more in the U.S.) more overtly than cause by disease or health reasons. Though I can't be sure of course, I highly suspect that there's some heredity flaw going on here (the health failings doesn't hit Konata outside needing medication when in cars at least). The clue's in cousin Yutaka's worrisome sickliness and slight but cute harelip and stinted stature, and in Sōjirō's flashback at the beach, at first he and Kanata are running for the sand with joy then in next scene they're leaving with him concernedly watching her wiping her brow as though in exhaustion, and she's always outside with that broad sunbonnet (sun stroke prone too?). Ditto by his face at her lethargy on their immediate train ride back. In the family portrait Konata appears as a babe of four or five months at least judging by her size and hair, and there are teasing hints that Konata may've even been a toddler at Kanata's passing (the flash scene of Sōjirō kneeling with a toddler Konata at a temple as if at a wake?), so even moreso it most likely wasn't any birth complication. That Yutaka changed residence to be closer to school might hint that Yui and Sōjirō are more concerned of a hereditary weakness than they're telling.

So much for my take! Now some have not only theories on this, but even challenge the whole notion that Kanata's even really "gone" (wistful wishes me)! :

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4005755/1/

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4034138/1/

But then, I'm sure Kyoto is well aware just how pop Kanata is in death and maybe they've sitting on their sleeves all kinds of ways to feature her in some speculative future features. I'd watch it just see how the heck Kanata ever hooked up with a guy like Sōjiro since I doubt they were truly childhood friends by the sense of the term (BOTH of you don't have to be children to be a childhood friend, right?)

Dee

Last edited by Dee Eon; 2008-02-10 at 19:19.
Old 2008-02-13, 18:46   Link #242
Rion Steiner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee Eon View Post
A Thread about my Fave Lucky Star character!

I want to comment that you all have been invaluable in my enjoying the show because my first encounter with ep 22 was thru some terribly translated fansubs which you all have straightened out for me and made sense of some very tender scenes! Thank you - thank you! Well, allow me to jump in late with an issue dear to my character -- mainly Kanata's untimely demise! There're lots of theories here on this so I'll toss mine into the pot!

I'm pretty sure it wasn't a violent accident because her passing isn't regarded with that tone of abrupt tragedy or grief it seems, but rather with the solemnness of expectancy. Accidental causes are usually mentioned to as death (at least more in the U.S.) more overtly than cause by disease or health reasons. Though I can't be sure of course, I highly suspect that there's some heredity flaw going on here (the health failings doesn't hit Konata outside needing medication when in cars at least). The clue's in cousin Yutaka's worrisome sickliness and slight but cute harelip and stinted stature, and in Sōjirō's flashback at the beach, at first he and Kanata are running for the sand with joy then in next scene they're leaving with him concernedly watching her wiping her brow as though in exhaustion, and she's always outside with that broad sunbonnet (sun stroke prone too?). Ditto by his face at her lethargy on their immediate train ride back. In the family portrait Konata appears as a babe of four or five months at least judging by her size and hair, and there are teasing hints that Konata may've even been a toddler at Kanata's passing (the flash scene of Sōjirō kneeling with a toddler Konata at a temple as if at a wake?), so even moreso it most likely wasn't any birth complication. That Yutaka changed residence to be closer to school might hint that Yui and Sōjirō are more concerned of a hereditary weakness than they're telling.

So much for my take! Now some have not only theories on this, but even challenge the whole notion that Kanata's even really "gone" (wistful wishes me)! :

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4005755/1/

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4034138/1/

But then, I'm sure Kyoto is well aware just how pop Kanata is in death and maybe they've sitting on their sleeves all kinds of ways to feature her in some speculative future features. I'd watch it just see how the heck Kanata ever hooked up with a guy like Sōjiro since I doubt they were truly childhood friends by the sense of the term (BOTH of you don't have to be children to be a childhood friend, right?)

Dee
Very good fanfiction, the second one was really good, it had that same feeling when I was watching Kanata's scene in ep 22. I love how kanata is more problematic than Konata's Dad. Little Geisha sister XD such a wishful happiness Im feeling right now. Im pretty sure Kanata would want a second child.

The thing that got me a little was that Konata was way too different in your second story, like the growth hormones, Boyfriends, etc her language being less utakuish. It feI dont want konata's family to change even if Kanata eneded up surviving her fate. Do you have or know any other good fanfics out there? Im looking up on FanFiction.net and I found a few of them so far.

Your fanfic's imagery was pretty good, keep up the good work.
Old 2008-02-14, 20:51   Link #243
Dee Eon

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rion Steiner View Post
Your fanfic's imagery was pretty good, keep up the good work.
Thanks! Had I known they'd be so well received I would've worked much longer/harder on them! Kanata caught my throat and chest more than any other character in anime and I felt we were cheated of getting to know her.

As flipped-out and far-out as the cryogenics story seemed, it's in fact based on actual companies into post-death "suspended animation" services since the seventies. This fact made writing it feel even more eerie than Kanata's Out-of-Body/Time story (you know, "truth is stranger than fiction"). I'd like to think that Sōjirō's so unorthodox and deeply in love that he would've sought that last-ditch chance to save Kanata. That we don't truly know whether Kanata's in an urn or coffin makes this a "back door" for Kanata's return a fascinating option for "Lucky Star" I think!

Quote:
The thing that got me a little was that Konata was way too different in your second story,
True, it's almost impossible to predict fates, but I think had Kanata survived her illness she would've markedly matured just to keep from being smothered by Sōjirō's weirdness and macho. (check out Kanata and Sōjirō's doing the episode 23 preview at the very end of ep 22). On my my first viewing I took Kanata for a doormat mate, but when she said she wished baby Konata wouldn't resemble either of them I sensed she already had a budding core of defiance. Kanata's a peach; soft and sweet on the outside but a stony-pit at the core, and would've grown so to counter lolicon Sōjirō's influence on their kids.

Quote:
like the growth hormones,
I fell back on real-life (American) experiences with pediatric growth hormones and the sharp drop in stinted growth in school children which suggests to me that Kanata also would've done anything to keep Konata from sharing her condition. It's no fun being a "midget" and I can't imagine any parent who'd let a kid suffer that life if they can help it.

Quote:
Boyfriends,
Under Kanata's watch, Konata's bound to have a boyfriend by 17 (sorry Kagami!). I'm also certain that Kanata would've nipped Konata's otakus-ism in the bud at a very early age and groomed Konata into a young lady the equal of Miyuki. That doesn't mean Konata wouldn't a gamer, especially with Sōjirō under the same roof, but she'd been far far less an addict as seen in the anime or manga.

Quote:
Im pretty sure Kanata would want a second child.
Sorry Konata's brother was given such a fleeting part, but then I hadn't been writing in depth at the time. In fact there two other little ones I missed falling out of that final draft I guess.

Quote:
her language being less utakuish.
I'd certainly like to correct that, only I'm not Japanese enough to have that language style sense.

Quote:
Do you have or know any other good fanfics out there? Im looking up on FanFiction.net and I found a few of them so far.
Mm.... I did do a "sequel" to Ep 22 that's immediately after the camera shadow gag fade out. It's kind of crude but see if I can post it this weekend. I might consider a possible expanded rewrite of "Kanata's Dream" though to fill out an interesting background for Kanata. In fact I once toyed with the idea of actually writing a "Lucky Star Plus Kanata" light novel that'd remain consistent with what I mentioned above yet keep true with the elements we love of the Izumi family (a tiny otakus Konata). I did whip up a "cheat" of a solution, but that project really needs a wide waiting audience for me to feel it's worthwhile. Ironically, I think Kanata would steal the show in such stories because you can play a lot on her daughter-twin looks and Geisha-like demeanor. I also have two old Powerpuff Girls Z spin-off stories up. I always listen to feedback and weave good ones into my stories. It feels so like "community" doing so!

Take care!

Dee
http://luckystarfans.com/
Old 2008-02-14, 21:46   Link #244
Hayatso
Not Found

i like more cap 19

Spoiler for cap 19:

but... I laughed at the minute 04:17 and 08:31 XD

Spoiler for cap 22, 04:17 min:

Spoiler for cap 22, 08:31 min:
Old 2008-07-21, 02:00   Link #245
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Hmmmm, looking back at this episode I really just can't say much about the whole Kanata moment that got everyone so worked up. It's sort of just there (no reason it had to come in this episode over any other episode) and then not and then ceases to have any real relevance to anything before or after the series, just like most of the scenes. I can't say I ever really felt anything either way because Kanata wasn't even really all that important before or after the scene other then she was supposed to have been Konata's mother. I'm not entirely sure what I was supposed to feel when she showed up as I literally knew nothing at all about the character. Sadness, melancholy, excitement. Like what? Unlike other folks I couldn't just go through the motions of feeling emotional (I know I was supposed to feel something) without some incentive.

There's a difference between intent and execution and with this scene I don't see how they really could have executed in a manner that made me care about Kanata's appearance either way. It kind of feels to me that Kyoani was realizing that the series was nearing it's end and that they needed to do something a little extra with it that would make fans remember something more then the Otaku-centric stuff that dominated the middle portion of the series and thus the scene was sort of shoehorned in in the hopes that the fans would just react in the way they think was expected. It looks like it worked.

Anyway, I remember comparing it to Kodomo No Jikan, but I felt that the scene I compared it to had a lot more poignancy, Aki being a character we actually got to know her a little in a flashback. Would have helped tremendously if they had done something like that with Kanata at an earlier point in the series.
Old 2008-07-21, 16:27   Link #246
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Well... the scene actually comes from the source material. The 4-koma Lucky*Star devoted part of a chapter presenting essentially the same material. And every instance of referring to Kona's mom is from the 4-koma series. Even most of the "dad-Kona" scenes in the series come from the 4-koma (though specific product line mentions were usually added item).

So.... if there's a weakness in the presentation, it was there in the original material. I suspect KyoAni figured this late in the series was a good place for the sequence of mom-haunting because people were attached enough to Kona-dad and Konata and they'd seen dad's flashback of his life with his wife.

Myself, I was most fond of dad fondly recalling his time dating and being married to her - more than the later ghostly sequence itself.
Old 2008-07-21, 23:16   Link #247
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Well... the scene actually comes from the source material. The 4-koma Lucky*Star devoted part of a chapter presenting essentially the same material. And every instance of referring to Kona's mom is from the 4-koma series. Even most of the "dad-Kona" scenes in the series come from the 4-koma (though specific product line mentions were usually added item).

So.... if there's a weakness in the presentation, it was there in the original material. I suspect KyoAni figured this late in the series was a good place for the sequence of mom-haunting because people were attached enough to Kona-dad and Konata and they'd seen dad's flashback of his life with his wife.

Myself, I was most fond of dad fondly recalling his time dating and being married to her - more than the later ghostly sequence itself.
Me too actually. The nostalgic feel he gives to it was really the only part that I felt had any strong feeling to it. Konata didn't really give anything. Then again I've always found her to be a rather shallow character that doesn't really seem to be created for anything other then marketing interests so that's not too surprising. Soijirou was actually one of my more preferred characters, so as with Miyuki he got minimal screentime.
Old 2008-07-22, 13:32   Link #248
Kagami~n
I want to @#$% with--

Send a message via AIM to Kagami~n
I also found Soujirou's memories to be the most tearjerking things from the episode. Usually those left behind are the things that are saddest about a person's death. It was nice to see a little of Kanata. I kind of wish that we could have learned a little more of her personality, but I understand that time is short. Was her appearance as a ghost also a part of the 4koma, or did the anime add that in?

On the subject of Konata, I acutally kind of liked how her mother's death didn't really affect her. Much more commonly seen are characters who angst (publically or privately) about the deaths of their parents. It's true that we're unlikely to find someone who will be that emotionally detatched from such a thing, but most stories don't stop to consider that maybe a kid doesn't miss her mom because she never knew her. Maybe she doesn't always wish she had one because she's happy with how her dad raised her. It was a change of pace for me, and it kept Lucky Star from being too dramatic. Konata, like the viewer, was just there to listen. She was also there to be healthy and happy and make Kanata happy.

I happen to like Konata's character very much, so I can be forgiving of her shallow character aspects. I didn't really come into this show looking for depth. :P

One of my favorite parts was remembering Konata's birth, with her mother going "Well as long as she doesn't get my height or your personality..."
Old 2008-07-22, 13:37   Link #249
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Yeah. Konata said it herself. Instead of being too busy grieving to take care of her, like a lot of anime widowers, Soujirou doted on her. The unfortunate side effect is that she became an irresponsible otaku, but at least she never felt neglected. I'm sure there must have been a few tough moments, but she didn't dwell on that. And what was she to say? "Yes, father, I cry myself to sleep every night because I don't have a mom. You're a horrible person for letting her die."?
Old 2008-07-22, 17:17   Link #250
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kagami~n View Post
I also found Soujirou's memories to be the most tearjerking things from the episode. ... Was her appearance as a ghost also a part of the 4koma, or did the anime add that in?

I happen to like Konata's character very much, so I can be forgiving of her shallow character aspects. I didn't really come into this show looking for depth. :P

One of my favorite parts was remembering Konata's birth, with her mother going "Well as long as she doesn't get my height or your personality..."
Konata's appearance, references about her, and the lines of dialog and the humor are directly from the 4-koma; hardly anything was "anime only" outside of the mysterous intro moment.
Soujirou's recollections were also directly from the 4-koma.
This was almost pure Lucky*Star rather than any "Kyo-ani marketing" like a fair amount of the series suffered under.

And of course, the "height, personality" gag is one of the funny bits.

If I get cranky enough, maybe I should scan the specific strips....
Old 2008-07-22, 17:29   Link #251
Kagami~n
I want to @#$% with--

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Konata's appearance, references about her, and the lines of dialog and the humor are directly from the 4-koma; hardly anything was "anime only" outside of the mysterous intro moment.
Soujirou's recollections were also directly from the 4-koma.
This was almost pure Lucky*Star rather than any "Kyo-ani marketing" like a fair amount of the series suffered under.

And of course, the "height, personality" gag is one of the funny bits.

If I get cranky enough, maybe I should scan the specific strips....
That's pretty neat to know. I was actually assuming that it wasn't from the strips because it had diverged from the gags and stuff for a little.

If you should get cranky enough, they would be cool to see.
Old 2008-07-22, 19:09   Link #252
Ahasuerus
UNBOUND-ed

As a commemoration, one of my favorite anime-pics:

Too nice to hide beneath a spoiler tag
Old 2008-07-22, 22:00   Link #253
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Usually I grouse about inline imagery instead of thumbnails to imageshack... but yeah, this is just too pretty to get angry about.
Old 2008-07-22, 22:23   Link #254
Ahasuerus
UNBOUND-ed

Thanks for understanding

Earlier I checked to see whether it had been posted before and had to go through all the spoiler tags to make sure someone wouldn't get riled up. But (a) given that the subject of the pic is what this thread is all about, and (b) if I'd have put it in spoiler tags nobody would have seen it most likely, I hoped that presenting it for all to see would be appreciated here.

And (c) I'm trying hard as hell to resist Imageshack because of the inconvenience of setting up yet ANOTHER account let alone dealing with their annoying popups would be more than I can tolerate

Anyway, I hope that the picture was enjoyed; it really is sweet
Old 2008-07-23, 09:09   Link #255
Kagami~n
I want to @#$% with--

Awww. That's so sweet. Their relationship made him seem much less creepy to me when I first watched this.
Old 2008-07-23, 12:21   Link #256
Amray

I found this episode to be really lovely. The whole last scene with Kanata seeing what the family were up to was sweet and the way that Konata and her father were talking about her. I thought the atmosphere for Lucky Star really changed on that one scene, because it was so much more in depth and got more closer to Konata's family and their lives. It made me think "awwwwww ^-^" to myself. I found it a really lovely episode.

Also, that picture is indeed really sweet. I love it.
Old 2008-07-23, 14:17   Link #257
Dee Eon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kagami~n View Post
Awww. That's so sweet. Their relationship made him seem much less creepy to me when I first watched this.
Naw, still a uber creepo in dad's wool! As cuddly as Humbert Humbert adopting Lolitia Haze. One of my fave lines was him scolding Konata sauntering into the living room in skimpy clothes; "Konata! You can't run around like that! Suppose Yutaka sees you??!"

Dee
Old 2008-07-23, 14:28   Link #258
Amray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee Eon View Post
One of my fave lines was him scolding Konata sauntering into the living room in skimpy clothes; "Konata! You can't run around like that! Suppose Yutaka sees you??!"
"I THOUGHT MY DAUGHTER WAS IN THIS RACE!! HONEST!"

That was my favourite.
Old 2008-07-23, 14:32   Link #259
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

What... exactly has he done to earn the title "creepy"???
"weird" maybe, "eccentric" ..... he likes petite women, but basically harmless.
Old 2008-07-23, 14:40   Link #260
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Even his daughter is afraid he'll get arrested, though. And he's a lolicon who likes taking pictures of actual little girls.

I know he's harmless, but I can see why others would find him creepy.
Closed Thread