AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Maria-sama

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-09-30, 02:06   Link #1
kj1980
Gomen asobase desuwa!

Maria-sama ga Miteru Novel Vol 18 "Tokubetsu de nai Tada no Ichinichi"

So today, I rushed over to the bookstore that I always go to, to get my hands on Marimite's latest novel, "Tokubetsu de nai Tada no Ichinichi" ("Not Special, But A Regular Day")

And we finally get to the Culture Festival once again.

Hanadera members get some of the attention as they come to help out the Yamayurikai in getting "Torikaebaya Monogatari" act together.

An added twist is set for Yamayurikai's version of "Torikaebaya"

Hmm...once again there were two places in this novel that might hint(?) a relationship between Yuuki and Yoshino (then again, I've been reading too much of Yuuki-Yoshino coupling doujinshis).

Yumi gets to look after both Touko-chan and Kanako-chan throughout this novel. In many ways, this novel reinforces that they are the top two candidates for Yumi's soeur....

Several cameos indeed make an appearance at this Culture Festival - including Shimako's father, Shimura Takuya, Kashiwagi Suguru (eleven tickets!?) and of course, Mizuno Youko and Satou Sei!

Kanako's "secret" on why she despises men and her father is revealed. Introduction of Hosokawa Yuuko and Hosokawa Chikako.

Several new notes to be noted about Yumi:

A. Yumi's fanbase in Hanadera is actually growing for some reason - large enough that a Battle Royale exists at Hanadera to pounce Yuuki to get the Culture Festival ticket with Yumi's name stamped on it (somehow, I take it this is Konno Oyuki's sarcasm on the extreme male otaku fanbase towards Marimite)

B. Yumi is largely popular with Lillian's first year students as well.

C. Quoting Yoshino, "You should leave it like that. Even just a moment ago, a Hanadera student came over to ask when Yumi-san has a break. I asked him why, and he replied that he wanted Yumi-san to show around Lillian. I don't know why, but Yumi-san, you are very popular with Hanadera and our first year students. [So take my advice,] don't go around saying that you are free after lunch. If you respond each one faithfully, you won't end up having any free time with Sachiko-sama."

and....the last sentences in this novel:

After spending few moments holding Yumi in her arms, Sachiko-sama gently released and looked straight in Yumi's face

"Yumi" said Sachiko
"It is time for you to find a soeur"

"What..."

Sachiko-sama is a liar. She said that today was "Not Special, But a Regular Day," but on this anniversary date of their soeur relationship, she imposed Yumi with a very important task.

THE PRESSURE IS ON!!!

Can't wait for the next novel...
Old 2004-09-30, 04:27   Link #2
Takemi_Ikazuchi

1) Was there a long line at the store?

2) Why is it cheaper than the usual price? Less pages perhaps?

3) Did Sei explain what the heck she was doing in Italy?

4) Wouldn't it be poetic justice if Yumi picked the first random girl she bumps into?
Old 2004-09-30, 10:00   Link #3
Shigan
Forever a Journey

Maybe Sei was visiting Shizuka? O_o (I don't know about Sei's family status but she has to be pretty rich to do that...)

It would indeed be poetic justice but on the other hand, doesnt that throw the whole Touko vs Kanako thing out from the window? And I really doubt Sachiko would press Yumi to choose a souer to the degree where Yumi has to take such desperate measures. ^^

Feel free to spoil us on that particular schoolplay, I'm very curios of how it played out. (XD) Poor Yuuki.
Never stop being a kid. Never stop feeling and seeing and being excited with great things like air and engines and sounds of sunlight within you. Wear your little mask if you must to protect you from the world but if you let that kid disappear you are grown up and you are dead.
— Richard Bach

Shigan's Fanfiction Masterlist -- The Hayate x Vivio Files
Old 2004-09-30, 19:16   Link #4
Portable
riots and turns

Send a message via AIM to Portable
Go go, Kanako!
Old 2004-09-30, 20:49   Link #5
pyu
Crouchety Old Man

Send a message via MSN to pyu
Quote:
Yumi gets to look after both Touko-chan and Kanako-chan throughout this novel. In many ways, this novel reinforces that they are the top two candidates for Yumi's soeur....
I can't help but thinking that if these 2 are the top two candidates, then Yumi wouldn't be as fortunate as Shimako who has found a kindred spirit in Noriko.

Touko, well, she's a very complex person. She's playful and sometimes appears to be down right malicious, but from the last episode in ~Haru~, Yumi seems to have the younger girl figured out - even manages to make the poor girl flush a bit . Perhaps a third season would expand on and allow us poor non-Japanese readers to see the rather unconventional relationship between Yumi and Touko...

Not too sure about Kanako since she doesn't even appear in ~Haru~, but I don't think Yumi would want someone who is utterly obsessed with her and worship the ground she walks on as her petite soeur. But then again, from what kj1980 says, it seems only Touko (among the first years) doesn't worship the ground Yumi walks on anyway...

Then again, I remember kj1980 saying both girls firmly rejected the idea that they would even become Yumi's petite soeur. Denial?

The way I see it, Yumi choosing a petite soeur would mean another stage of her growth as a character...
Old 2004-09-30, 21:57   Link #6
Takemi_Ikazuchi

Touko tried to cut ties because she's Touko, and Yumi is creeping her out more than she is unnerving Yumi.

Kanako cut ties because Yumi betrayed her expectations.. and because she's Sachiko-lite. No, that's not a compliment.

Also, some suspect that the "loser" becomes Yoshiono's soeur by default as there is a lack of important first year characters. If that's true Yumi's third year is going to be circus.
Old 2004-09-30, 23:30   Link #7
mintyfresh
Altoid

Nng.. strangely enough, the Kinokuniya in l.a.'s little tokyo didn't have vol. 18. I guess they didn't get it yet, or it was just sold out...but either way, all that was there were older marimite novels. siigh..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takemi_Ikazuchi
Also, some suspect that the "loser" becomes Yoshiono's soeur by default as there is a lack of important first year characters. If that's true Yumi's third year is going to be circus.
I was thinking the same thing. But it doesn't seem very nice considering that the "loser" will still have a stronger connection to Yumi. But something like this very well may happen, consdering Yoshino really wants to get a soeur soon to win her bet with Eriko.

The first time i'd heard of Kanako long ago, I took her for just another obsessed stalker/fan like we've already seen before in marimite. However, now that it's gotten this far, I don't think that she'll be fading out of existence (like Shizuka and Mifuyu before her) any time soon.

What with both her and Touko being the top two candidates for Yumi's souer, I can only suppose that something big has to happen with one of them to put them in the "right" light (or wrong light, really) with Yumi for her to choose one over the other.
That's why I don't think that Yumi picking neither Touko nor Kanako would be weird, but rather sort of expected (even though I'd personally prefer she pick Touko ^^').
After all, saying that fate plays a big part in Marimite would be selling it short several times over -- who's to say she won't simply run into a first year student somewhere and make her her soeur? It may seem like a rushed and poor decision, but they may very well may turn out to be a perfect match, just like Yumi and Sachiko.
But then again, it's doubtful that sort of magic could happen twice.
Also, there's also the matter of what happens to Touko and Kanako... So...
Old 2004-09-30, 23:55   Link #8
lone_wolf
bike mechanic onna

[QUOTE=mintyfresh]Nng.. strangely enough, the Kinokuniya in l.a.'s little tokyo didn't have vol. 18. I guess they didn't get it yet, or it was just sold out...but either way, all that was there were older marimite novels. siigh..

I could have sworn that kj1980 mentioned once that he actually lives in Japan...

... and he *did* mention that this was the latest novel so if volume 18 just came out in Japan then it will take several months for it to ship to the US.

And Kinokuniya in general always takes forever to receive stuff. *Especially* the one in Downtown LA.

Heh, I was just there today too
Old 2004-10-01, 05:07   Link #9
Shigan
Forever a Journey

Did Yoshino have to pick her souer in her second year? Since we really are lacking insight on what other first years there exists, I do really think it's kinda 'cruel' that Yoshino would end up with Yumi's left-overs. The yellow rose family don't get a lot of screentime compared to the other families, granted, but I do think the author should and will create likable and likewise, suitable petite souers for all of our protagonistic rose-generation. Maybe she is the one who will have a fated 'run-in' a la Yumi's and Sachiko's. ^^

Personally, I would have loved to see her with a REAL tomboy, kinda like Sei personalitywise but more like Rei in appearance. She could easily start a schoolmaffia that way ^^.
Old 2004-10-01, 06:34   Link #10
pyu
Crouchety Old Man

Send a message via MSN to pyu
I don't think the author would be so cruel as to leave the 'loser' of the Touko v.s Kanako thingy for Yoshino to pick up. I personally think Yoshino deserves someone she can connect with. Hell, I think that should apply to Yumi too - since I can't see her connecting with either Touko and Kanako.

Quote:
Personally, I would have loved to see her with a REAL tomboy, kinda like Sei personalitywise but more like Rei in appearance. She could easily start a schoolmaffia that way
There's no need to egg her on, Yoshino is already a force of nature to be reckoned with by herself.
Old 2004-10-01, 07:51   Link #11
mintyfresh
Altoid

Quote:
Originally Posted by lone_wolf
And Kinokuniya in general always takes forever to receive stuff. *Especially* the one in Downtown LA.
huh. learn something new everyday...

sorry... ^^;;
Old 2004-10-01, 11:55   Link #12
FubaredByAnime

Quote:
I don't think the author would be so cruel as to leave the 'loser' of the Touko v.s Kanako thingy for Yoshino to pick up.
I would consider it more cruel to set up a bet on whether a girl could persuade an underclassman her petite seour or for a petite seour to give back her rosary to her older sister. But then that's the fun of it, isn't it. Drama takes place in the chaos of relationships, so as much as part of me would like to see characters to get along in perfect harmony, it'd be as much fun as being on the "It's a small world" ride at Disney for an entire day.
Old 2004-10-19, 10:59   Link #13
Akai Hikari
ロサ・テスタ

at last got my hands on 'Tokubetsu~'...long wait

the long awaited Cultural Festavil was...well very hectic
a lot of characters appeared in a very short time, it just seems to skim through everything in the process. Hopefully a short story novel much like 'Vareity Gift' will cover the back stories. Especially the White Rose reaction to Shimako's father and Takuya-kun.

a bit about Yumi's Souer issue and Touko/Kanako

Spoiler:

The last incident although somewhat out of the blue is very touching in that it shows much of what Sachiko is thinking, what she went through when she was a second year, Yumi's current position and all her feelings.

Again, can't wait for the next volume.
Old 2004-10-19, 13:12   Link #14
Shigan
Forever a Journey

Well, considering Yumi's souer issue. Even if she WAS to pick random-run-in-girl-X right now, wouldn't that be quite a kick in the shorts for Touko? Despite what she said, judging from what you novel people have hinted, she seems rather eager to be around Yumi.

I know EXACTLY how Yoshino's souer story will be!

1. Mysterious super-kendo genius girst year joins the kendo club.

2. Gets friendly with Yoshino

3. Rei gets jealous and the both of them initiate a kendo duel.

4. Rei kicks her ass, but in an even match.

5. Rei gets her ass flamed by Yoshino for being overprotective again. Yoshino drags the girl off, making her her souer out of rebellion and as a reminder for Rei if she ever gets the mother-chicken syndroma again.

*gets thrown out*

.......well, this is how I imagine it anyway ^^;;.
Never stop being a kid. Never stop feeling and seeing and being excited with great things like air and engines and sounds of sunlight within you. Wear your little mask if you must to protect you from the world but if you let that kid disappear you are grown up and you are dead.
— Richard Bach

Shigan's Fanfiction Masterlist -- The Hayate x Vivio Files
Old 2007-07-29, 00:41   Link #15
dahl_moon
Apathy moe~
*Scanlator

Since kj1980 posted enough information, I won't delve too much. This will probably be the first episode for season 4. Akai Hikari up there pretty much summed up my thoughts of this volume. I'm also looking forward to Yamayurikai's new play, as well as
Spoiler for Possibly season 4 episode 1??: