AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga

Notices

Old 2012-03-11, 11:07   Link #8321
Ridwan

Quote:
Originally Posted by RapidPotential View Post
Although I've seen many complain about the ending, I just feel ending it off like this would have been the best solution considering it was a rushed end.

Not saying that it couldn't be better but I'd have preferred this ending over a real crappy one. I'm just glad to have followed through all the chapters of this series. Perhaps this is one of those series where you just feel had potential to tie up loose ends it had left and never really did in the end.
I agree. It's good that I've learned well enough from the Nanoha experience...
Old 2012-03-11, 11:11   Link #8322
Shadow5YA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiresias View Post
I have to agree with OverMaster here. Akamatsu's writing skill worsen during the last few arcs. Maybe it's just him. Maybe outside influences are involved. But the result is clear - Negima's ending awoken my long-suppressed memories on how Sukuran ended. Negima had the chance to become one of the most enjoyable manga I've ever read. Now it's just mediocre.
Last few arcs? The "last few" arcs were the magic world arc, the school festival, then the ending with the timeskips.

Ending aside, the festival was obvious filler. The Magic World arc was the most recent serious arc, and that was excellent.
Shadow5YA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-11, 11:11   Link #8323
Sumeragi
Banned

Quote:
Negima's ending awoken my long-suppressed memories on how Sukuran ended.
I still have no idea how people are comparing Negima to School Rumble. It's just..... like a sort of forced leap of faith in other to downgrade what Negima's ending truly is.
Sumeragi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-11, 11:13   Link #8324
Athena
The Power of One

Well, I didn't quite expect a smooth ending, and am OK with it. Negima basically took too much expansion throughout the manga, and unless you take 15 chapters to end up each girl's future, it will turn into an ending of the sort.

In Love Hina's case, the author had the romantc relationship established very early, so the ending was better. However, Negima became much more battle-centered after a hundred of chapters.

The ending itself was more done in order to "stop" the story, and not to "conclude" it, IMO. It was basically made so everyone had their own path and have split themselves.
Old 2012-03-11, 11:15   Link #8325
Tiresias
Labda Prakarsa Nirwikara

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumeragi View Post
I still have no idea how people are comparing Negima to School Rumble. It's just..... like a sort of forced leap of faith in other to downgrade what Negima's ending truly is.
Both didn't give a proper resolution that made me go "Well, that's been a fun ride. It's sad that it's over but this is really the end. I can't wait for the author's new work, because it will be as awesome as this one!"

Why Sukuran? Simple, I don't read a lot of manga, and of the ones I read only few have ended, so I can't compare this to the ongoing ones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow5YA View Post
Last few arcs? The "last few" arcs were the magic world arc, the school festival, then the ending with the timeskips.
I meant the smaller arcs, mini-arcs if you wish. I don't know, maybe "arc" isn't the right word - feel free to correct me with a better suggestion. I was talking about things like the Final Battle on the Gravekeeper's Palace, where aside from Negi and Asuna the rest of Ala Alba ended up as pushovers that needs to be saved by Ala Rubra. And I've already made enough comments about the "Who Negi loves?!" mini-arc and Asuna's "like he'd really end it sadly" mini-arc.
Old 2012-03-11, 11:19   Link #8326
OverMaster
Zok, Biff, Pow, Wham.

Found in the Net:

OverMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-11, 11:22   Link #8327
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Isn't this exactly what happened in Negima? It had all the potential for greatness, the makings of grand adventures, the massive and continuous build-up that promises a grand finale worthy to conclude its tale...and epically failed to meet up to that standard.
If it was really the writer's fault, I doubt the latest arcs would actually manage to keep up with the steam. The abrupt ending and the vast surprise about the ending timing are, in my opinion, a testimony that the whole process was hardly a decision void of restrictions or issues that aren't within the author's reach.

The end of the contract timing can't be a coincidence, and there is no way you can expand the series within such time span unless you extend the contract. The fact it wasn't done says a lot regarding how Akamatsu considers his contract with Kodansha.

Adding the fact he had to follow Kodansha few directives, making him unable to fully create the series he wanted to be is another point that points out problems outside of Akamatsu ability.

Quote:
Some say that Ken had actually planned for it to end like this from the very beginning. If anything, that made this entire debacle worse, because it means he had decided from the start to give Negima such an abrupt conclusion.
It all depends of your definition of "end like this from the beginning": was it the full course of sport festival arc? Asuna's sealing? Or simply the last 2 chapters?
The last 2 chapters are a definite huge mood shift and a direct reference to how LH ended.
Quote:
Some say that Ken was forced to do this due to "external" factors, and that he would made it up with a sequel. But if that was indeed the case, then there was no need for him to close it like this. Better to left it hanging for a while before the sequel resumes the story, rather than finishing up the loose ends off-screen. Especially that whole business with Nagi, bah. No need for the tedious "Who Negi loves?!" sub-arc, nor Asuna's "like he'd really end it sadly" arc. If there was supposed to be a sequel, they would be better put there.
And if the ending had to be compromised with the editor, and resulted into this way, what can he actually do?
The whole issue is basically a lose lose situation anyway: Akamatsu had a certain period of time to wrap up Negima, and still under Kodansha directives regarding content thatshould remain prevalent. Surely enough, you expect Sport festival gimmicks while Negi is saving Nagi? Doubtful.

By any means, Akamatsu didn't want to retcon things, otherwise, the ending might be radically different than merely "off screen / ommited" plot parts.
Old 2012-03-11, 11:28   Link #8328
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow5YA View Post
Ending aside, the festival was obvious filler. The Magic World arc was the most recent serious arc, and that was excellent.
Well, comparing the Sports Festival arc to the Mahora Festival arc just shows how little Akamatsu cared by that point. The latter was a lot of fun, lots of character development, lots of shipping for the fans, and very exciting with its own internal climaxes. IMO it was the manga's high point. The former was, what, a few chapters of rather stale filler wherein Akamatsu turned Negima back to its "school harem" roots that he supposedly struggled against in the early goings of the manga.

The Magical World arc promised to be even grander, true, but its loose ends were not properly followed up on so I can see why people end up not being pleased with it either.

I don't care enough to complain about the ending very much, but I understand fully how people who liked the manga and followed it more consistently than I do would be very angry. I don't even think the ending is the manga's biggest weakness; that would go to the very premise of having a ridiculous classroom-sized harem's worth of characters going for a ten years old teacher. Although it is perceived among the fans as a pitch he did to trick his publishers, and though he did get to write his fantasy epic in the end, he himself couldn't let go of this either and returned to the premise when he apparently lost interest, or at least energy, to continue. I mean, Asuna still kept losing clothes to magic after the Magical World arc, and harem-ish antics dominated the time between the end of Magical World and the ending itself. That's a long way since everybody's dropped the pretense of this being Love Hina Extreme Edition or something.

It's like building a very grand edifice with flaws in its very foundations. You either have to be very creative in maneuvering around that flaw, sometimes producing very interesting results, or you just give up and things start to go wrong.

If it is something of an impossible task to write an ending that satisfies all the fans of the many characters (Asuna, Yue, Nodoka, Konoka, Kaede, Ku, Chisame, Chao, Evangeline, etc., etc.), who else is to blame but the one who wrote up the premise and wrote the story to its end?
Irenicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-11, 11:29   Link #8329
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGE.

OMG this is so fun. Props to Ken for giving me the best entertainment ever.

C'mon people. Give the guy some slack. This is more a result of real life shit hitting the fan than anything else. With any luck they'll be able to salvage it somewhere else
Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-11, 12:26   Link #8330
chaosprophet

It all comes to personal opinion in the end. For me, I disagree with the claim that Akamatsu's writing was worse around the end. After all I still was enjoying a lot every chapter content till the end. So his writing was still up to par for me.

I'm also disappointed that the end lacked or skipped some important parts to the story, but that's more regarding what that was lacking from the conclusion, but nothing against the content we were shown. I also agree that something is really strange on how it ended rushed. And I think it's likely not something Akamatsu wished for.

Negima have been my favorite series for long time and still is. While the end was weak, it's nowhere near enough to make me disregard so many chapters of awesomeness and fun.
Old 2012-03-11, 13:12   Link #8331
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Oh man! that ending was hilarious! So much RAGE!

Spoiler for wait:
Roger Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-11, 15:03   Link #8332
dragon4dudes
Uncountable rationality

Send a message via MSN to dragon4dudes
I see there's a lot of rage. Honestly, I'm not sure why it's pointed completely at KA being a bad writer. Honestly, he could have fallen victim to the "Oh shit, real life" bug. It is also possible that his series became less popular than other series running that the editors had to cancel it to make room for more. Or contract ended. In that case, then he could have managed his time better, which isn't necessarily him being a bad writer, but being a poor time manager.

I enjoyed the ending. True, it was disappointing to have so unresolved plot points and a rushed feeling to the ending, but for what it was worth, it did its best job resolving at least some of the more interesting plot points. In fact, I'm not annoyed by "Holy crap, it's Nagi!" I feel like even if he had more time, finding Nagi would involve far too much BS than its worth. At the every least, the ending wasn't incredibly cluttered, and I believe those are probably the worst types.

Another thing to note is that endings are hard to do and as a series lengthens, it becomes increasingly difficult for a really thorough ending. In fact, for longer series, I feel like open endings tend to have the best feeling because we as readers have stuck with these characters for so long that we want to know (consciously or not) about their futures. The only way to do that (without continuing the series) is to leave the ending open.

I believe that had KA had his way, he would have let the series go on longer to really wrap up the series. He probably made the best ending with the limited resources he had (no time for research really). And probably realizes that there are plot holes that definitely need to be resolved without magic time warp powers. Maybe he'll release side stories or start a spin-off or something. Who knows what the future brings?

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so. Douglas Adams
Where facts are few, experts are many. Donald R. Gannon

void foo() {foo();} // Can you guess what this line of code does?
dragon4dudes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-11, 15:26   Link #8333
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

There's a lot of (valid) complaints I don't care about.

I don't mind that Chisame became a hikkikomori - she always did most of her work with the internet anyway. She doesn't have to do it from a laptop while being dragged around a jungle by Chachamaru.

I don't mind that Negi rescued his father offscreen. He became pretty broken, and so are his allies. Fine, whatever.

I don't mind that plot threads (like Ako's origin, or what Zazie's deal was, aside from being a demon princess) were abandoned.

But couldn't he have provided even small text explanation for what happened with Negi's mother? Said who Negi liked?
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-11, 16:59   Link #8334
Master Chibi
.: A bad doggy :.

Yeah after following this for like 8 years at the VERY least I would have liked to see who Negi had a thing for. Outside of that I'm fine with the ending.

Also don't bring up School Rumble again, that shit was a disaster and bi polar. Ugh.

Updated once a week - http://pishi.wordpress.com/
Last updated - 5/30/10 - Random Manga Roulette!
Master Chibi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-11, 17:07   Link #8335
Athena
The Power of One

Quoting someone on another forum, where's Anya?
Old 2012-03-11, 17:19   Link #8336
Tsuchimikado
土御門 元春

I was bored.. so i did this:

Spoiler:

ahaha XDD
Tsuchimikado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-11, 17:32   Link #8337
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Chibi View Post
Yeah after following this for like 8 years at the VERY least I would have liked to see who Negi had a thing for. Outside of that I'm fine with the ending.
I'd even have been fine with him not liking anyone in particular. But first he says there is someone, and then refuses to say who it is? The hell?
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-11, 20:27   Link #8338
DKN117

...Yeah, f*ck Akamatsu's ending. I'll be making up my own Negima storyline ending for my in-progress fic. It'll involve a properly epic Final Battle against the Lifemaker, who turns out to be a billions-of-years-old evil spirit who seeks to return Mundus Magicus and Earth to "the pure, eternal silent peace of death", resulting in an epic battle with over nine billion lives at stake.

(goes back to ME3: Galaxy At War)

Last edited by DKN117; 2012-03-11 at 20:28. Reason: spelling derp
DKN117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-11, 20:59   Link #8339
OverMaster
Zok, Biff, Pow, Wham.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKN117 View Post
...Yeah, f*ck Akamatsu's ending. I'll be making up my own Negima storyline ending for my in-progress fic. It'll involve a properly epic Final Battle against the Lifemaker, who turns out to be a billions-of-years-old evil spirit who seeks to return Mundus Magicus and Earth to "the pure, eternal silent peace of death", resulting in an epic battle with over nine billion lives at stake.

(goes back to ME3: Galaxy At War)
Well, I think Lifemaker works better as a basically Well Intentioned Extremist who just got so lost in his own views through the centuries he lost touch with humanity, including his own. Most Complete Monster antagonists just feel so generic.

But then again, your story, your rules. Just putting two cents in.
OverMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-11, 21:01   Link #8340
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
There's a lot of (valid) complaints I don't care about.

I don't mind that Chisame became a hikkikomori - she always did most of her work with the internet anyway. She doesn't have to do it from a laptop while being dragged around a jungle by Chachamaru.

I don't mind that Negi rescued his father offscreen. He became pretty broken, and so are his allies. Fine, whatever.

I don't mind that plot threads (like Ako's origin, or what Zazie's deal was, aside from being a demon princess) were abandoned.

But couldn't he have provided even small text explanation for what happened with Negi's mother? Said who Negi liked?
This may sound shallow, but Zazie was a fun enough character towards the end I kinda would have liked to have seen more stuff with her

I HOPE he does side stories...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
I'd even have been fine with him not liking anyone in particular. But first he says there is someone, and then refuses to say who it is? The hell?
Well he WAS an 11 year old kid at the time...roughly.

Though it is interesting that BOTH Setsuna and Konoka are blushing at meeting Nagi.
Roger Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, fantasy