AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2013-09-03, 19:17   Link #30421
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I have to wonder whether, in fact, having everything be named "Windows" might be part of the problem in building a brand in the mobile space. Apple might have called its phone OS MacPhone but chose to develop an entirely separate mobile branding based around "iSomething." Android is, of course, an entirely new brand. Calling everything Microsoft makes "Windows" something may make sense in the marketing department in Redmond, but I think Microsoft may be overestimating the value of the brand for an entirely new venture like phones. After thirty years of Windows, the brand has accumulated some bad images like being malware prone. There's probably also a contingent of people who thinks "Windows" means "PCs" and may be unmoved when the brand is stretched to include other devices. This is probably especially true for younger purchasers who might view "Windows" as meaning old and outdated.

One of the perennial issues facing Microsoft is the need to appeal to both consumers and to IT professionals at the same time. RIM built the Blackberry business on its servers as much as the consumer hardware, offering enterprise IT managers the ability to develop a corporate mobile strategy that they could roll out to the staff. The arrival of the iPhone shattered that model. Once the CEO wanted his iPhone to work with corporate email and apps, IT departments eventually succumbed to more open systems that could interconnect with a variety of devices. I suspect Microsoft's strategy in the mobile market is partly designed to appeal to those corporate IT guys. Microsoft probably hopes that large companies that are heavily invested in technologies like Exchange and Sharepoint might push their personnel toward buying "compatible" Windows phones. Still, if the CEO has an Apple or Android product, that often carries as much weight as the desires of the IT department to simplify its job.

tl;dr: Calling everything "Windows" may be a mixed blessing in a competitive, multi-platform world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dextro View Post
The true reason is as simple as the fact that most iOS users buy apps priced at 9,99 on average while Android users tend to gravitate towards 1,99 or less and most won't buy anything at all. That's the problem with targeting the low and mid end of the market: buyers are a lot more cost concious there than on the high end.
I haven't bought any commercial software except tax-preparation programs in at least a decade since I live in the FOSS/Linux world. I'm not about to start paying for apps either. I don't use my phone for gaming, and most of the other apps I have are sponsored by organizations like Crunchyroll or the LPGA Tour. I can't think of anything I would want to do on a phone that I am willing to pay $10 for.

Last edited by SeijiSensei; 2013-09-03 at 19:33.
Old 2013-09-03, 19:18   Link #30422
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Strike starts in South Africa's gold mines
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...9820F220130903
Old 2013-09-03, 20:47   Link #30423
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Windows came to prominence in the 90s largely because it was very user-friendly, and it was in many ways the ideal Operating System for Joe and Jane Average who were then just getting use to using computers on a regular basis at home and/or at work. It was a good "starter system" for people largely, if not entirely, unaccustomed to computer software operating systems, and for those with no great interest in electronics in general. So Windows was invaluable in a certain time and place, but that time and place has come and gone.

Joe and Jane Average are now much more computer literate than they once were. Range of functionality now trumps ease of functionality as displayed by the bazillion apps that smart phones tend to carry. Most people who were OS newbies in the 90s have learned a fair bit about OS' and electronics over the past two decades, and younger generations have grown up with it and never knew a world without it so it all comes naturally to them.

So Windows' role in the wider society is not as relevant as it once was. I wouldn't say its obsolete, as there will always be people who aren't particularly good with computers but nonetheless need to occasionally use them for various reasons. Windows may well remain strong on PCs for a very long time.

But smart phones are different, and appeal primarily to knowledgeable tech geeks. And Android has truly changed things. With that in mind, I found this article interesting.
Old 2013-09-03, 21:42   Link #30424
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dextro View Post
That's what most people want you to believe but in truth it's a bunch of baloney as any web developer worth his salt will tell you (graphical intensive games aside). The true reason is as simple as the fact that most iOS users buy apps priced at 9,99 on average while Android users tend to gravitate towards 1,99 or less and most won't buy anything at all. That's the problem with targeting the low and mid end of the market: buyers are a lot more cost concious there than on the high end.
You're correct about the pricing. Data indicates that iPhone users spend more money than Android users, in general. There are a lot of potential reasons for this besides "iPhone users are rich fools and Android users are all stingy," although that's the explanation that most people seem to jump to.

It's anecdotal, but the opinions I've read from various app developers is that Android is a pain in the butt to develop for compared with iOS. Device fragmentation aside, Google has a problem because many devices are still running older versions of Android. That can at least partly be attributed to the phone manufacturers, themselves. By comparison, new versions of iOS have a very high and relatively fast adoption rate. Developers can aim for that target and know that their program is available to the vast majority of users, whereas Android requires a bit more calculation and plotting.
Old 2013-09-03, 22:16   Link #30425
andyjay729
YOU EEDIOT!!!

Rather large earthquake today off Japan (M 6.5) near the Izu Islands.

The kinda scary thing about that is it's not far from the epicenter of the 1923 quake (Japan's deadliest to date). Hopefully this isn't a foreshock...

Speaking of which, there's also been a recent series of 6.5-7 quakes in the Aleutian Islands...
Old 2013-09-04, 01:35   Link #30426
JokerD

Cleveland kidnapper Ariel Castro found hanged in cell

Since he was sentenced to life + 1000 years, what happens now?
Old 2013-09-04, 03:56   Link #30427
Jinto
Asuki-tan Kairin ↓

Quote:
Originally Posted by JokerD View Post

It might be silly to let him hang there for another 1000 years.

But more seriously... these sentences are made to make sure no general pardon can be given. So life +1000 years basically means a lifetime sentence (life sentence btw. means "not really lifetime" but 25+ years smth) with little chance for parole and no chance for a general pardon (because even if there was a pardon given to celebrate whatever... that lifts say some 100 years or the lifetime aspect of the sentence, there would still be plenty of years left).
Old 2013-09-04, 04:16   Link #30428
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Quote:

I think life without parole is more appropriate... the sentence appeared so ridiculous and the judge dumb... I might have shouted WTF???!!!! I'm not immortal!!!!!
Old 2013-09-04, 04:19   Link #30429
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

He tortured women for a full decade, and yet he cops out of his own imprisonment in just a month.

What.

A.

Coward.

/rage

Last edited by aohige; 2013-09-04 at 04:29. Reason: not years... just one freaking MONTH!
Old 2013-09-04, 04:26   Link #30430
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Well if he somehow becomes undead, or resurrected in the next 1000 years, he'll still have time to serve in jail.
Old 2013-09-04, 05:07   Link #30431
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

U.S. small business borrowing rises to six-year high
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...9830CJ20130904

Exports, spending pull euro zone out of recession in second quarter
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...9830CN20130904
Old 2013-09-04, 07:01   Link #30432
Endless Soul
Megane girl fan

Quote:

I'm very glad no more tax dollars will be wasted on that piece of shit.
Old 2013-09-04, 07:48   Link #30433
demonix

Send a message via Yahoo to demonix
Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless Soul View Post
I'm very glad no more tax dollars will be wasted on that piece of shit.
They'll only have to waste a bit more burying is rotting corpse (probably on prison grounds since he still has 1000 years left on his sentence).

Rapist may have contracted HIV from victim

I hope that piece of shit knows what karma is and how it can come back to haunt you.
Old 2013-09-04, 08:07   Link #30434
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonix View Post
Rapist may have contracted HIV from victim

I hope that piece of shit knows what karma is and how it can come back to haunt you.
Let's just hope than he don't try to sue her for giving him HIV, you never know what kind of judge or jury he could get.
Old 2013-09-04, 08:53   Link #30435
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
This prison suicide sort of ties into something that I've wondered about from time to time. I wonder if people given a life sentence should be given the option of capital punishment instead. I think a person could reasonably prefer a death sentence to spending 20 or more years in jail (this is especially true if the person in question is in their 60s or older).

And if the convict takes the death sentence option, then it could save the state a fair bit of money.
Old 2013-09-04, 09:17   Link #30436
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
This prison suicide sort of ties into something that I've wondered about from time to time. I wonder if people given a life sentence should be given the option of capital punishment instead. I think a person could reasonably prefer a death sentence to spending 20 or more years in jail (this is especially true if the person in question is in their 60s or older).

And if the convict takes the death sentence option, then it could save the state a fair bit of money.
If their crimes are so bad that they get such a harsh sentence, why should they be given a choice as to whether to serve it or not?

Also, it costs more to execute someone than it does to keep them in prison for life.
Old 2013-09-04, 09:20   Link #30437
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Quote:

So did he commit suicide or was he killed by a prison gang or corrupt prison guards?
Old 2013-09-04, 09:41   Link #30438
Mr Hat and Clogs
Did someone call a doctor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenjiChan View Post
I think life without parole is more appropriate... the sentence appeared so ridiculous and the judge dumb... I might have shouted WTF???!!!! I'm not immortal!!!!!
Every time I hear about these kinds of sentences I think of this scene from Star Trek: The Undiscovered Country
Old 2013-09-04, 09:44   Link #30439
Sumeragi
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTerrorist View Post
So did he commit suicide or was he killed by a prison gang or corrupt prison guards?
Given that he was in isolation, probably suicide unless there was some elaborate conspiracy going on.
Old 2013-09-04, 09:45   Link #30440
Mr Hat and Clogs
Did someone call a doctor

Aren't those isolation cells supposed to be 'suicide proof'? Like, no sheets or hooks or anything like that.

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international