AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2007-07-04, 21:12   Link #201
psycho bolt
Cowmaster

One thing I didn't like was that I had to walk outside of the convention to get to the game arcade at the Hotel. Damn, why did they have to put it that far. It's just not convenient. Plus I also noticed longer lines this year. Seems like AX is getting more popular and crowded. -_- I just wished they open a bit more early on Saturday. People had to wait until 10:00, which really extended the entrance line.
psycho bolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-04, 22:23   Link #202
onehp
Banned

You can sign the petition for AX '08 to relocate

http://forums.anime-expo.org/index.php?showtopic=6331

This petition is created by con goers
onehp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-05, 03:04   Link #203
Maids! Maids! Maids!
Tsuruya Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by onehp View Post
You can sign the petition for AX '08 to relocate

http://forums.anime-expo.org/index.php?showtopic=6331

This petition is created by con goers
To San Francisco. I'll donate my time and put some of you up. (O.K. I'll put up the guys and women over 40 up.) Or New York. I'm not quite as flexible there, but I'll be there. It's my home town. Better in San Francisco. It should have been there in the first place. Give SF and Berkeley a chance.
Maids! Maids! Maids! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-05, 03:35   Link #204
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Johnny Yong Bosch himself actually replied to a video on Youtube showing him speaking at the SOS Brigade Invasion Event, that had a lot of complaints in the comment sectio saying he was stealing the show from the SOS Brigade. I think there is some confusion as the reason he did so much talking is that he was tasked with emceeing the event and thus he would have to come up inbetween some thing and act as host and well....talk. Here is what he said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Yong Bosch On Youtube
"I'm sorry you guys felt I was being rude. It certainly wasn't my intentions. I was following along with the script. Chihara was supposed to interrupt us and state there was a problem. I really didn't think I was offensive but apparently I was. Once again I'm sorry for the misunderstanding."
I really feel sorry for this guy as he has basically become a lightning rod for a number of things that went wrong with the event and people are probably taking out the failed Aya Hirano autograph event (how you botch that for everybody I don't know and I can totally understand why people would be furious at the paltry amount of autographs that were given out) and the fact that they seemed to have expected the concert to be all about her musical performance and the Japanese Seiyuu instead of both sets of cast members on him. Also people's primary complaint with him seems to be that he stole the show from the SOS Brigade, but wouldn't that generally mean that he did a good job.

Finally, people say that the ASOS Brigade were being rude for thinking that people came to see them, but I think that that very accusation is rude and insulting to the ASOS guests who came to the event to try and represent the series for North America. I don't personally think it's right that one groups effort is seen as outstanding and correct, while ones is seen as show stealing and arrogant simply based on who they are. I think both should be given their due.

In short if they want to blame somebody, they should really be blaming the organizers for poor planning and screwing over everybody, guests and fans, not the people that actually tried to put in the effort.

Oh and my opinion of Chihara Minori is swaying a little, she may not be a great voice actress in my opinion, but she sure as hell seems to a classy, warm and fun loving person (and it seems genuine too. I can usually see a persons true colour's by observing their body language and mannerisms and she doesn't seem to be hiding anything). She even knows a little bit of English.

This really is just a horrible mess....

Edit: Johnny actually replied to my comment expressing my feelings that he was being unfairly criticized and said "Thanks, I guess you can't please them all". I tend to agree with him.

Last edited by Kaioshin Sama; 2007-07-05 at 04:31.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-05, 11:41   Link #205
raikage
日本語を食べません!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maids! Maids! Maids! View Post
To San Francisco. I'll donate my time and put some of you up. (O.K. I'll put up the guys and women over 40 up.) Or New York. I'm not quite as flexible there, but I'll be there. It's my home town. Better in San Francisco. It should have been there in the first place. Give SF and Berkeley a chance.
Think Moscone Center can handle that many people?

The other thing about AX, that made Anaheim so perfect for it, is that they run programming 24 hours a day.

Convention centers close for cleaning. (Wow, alliteration much?)
So, the dance and the video rooms and the arcade have to be held in hotels -- which in Anaheim were right next to the CC and in Long Beach were kinda close by.

I was part of AX (though in what capacity I'm not going to say here, because I don't know if I should even be saying anything or not) and all the complaints people are venting -- yes, we do know and we do care and your complaints ARE being addressed.

EDIT: From the AX Forums
To elaborate a bit more I can only tell you what is public knowledge. The information I'm bringing forward was brought to light at the public BoD meeting at this year's AX on Sunday July 1st. We have not had a real CEO in 2 1/2 years. We have had 2 interm CEO's and our current "interm" CEO is Josh Ritter. The Board of Directors have had 2 1/2 years searching for a permanent CEO and as of July 4th 2007 we do not have one. Our interm CEO has stated at the public meeting that he had "failed as CEO". A copy of our bylaws should be made public anytime now at www.spja.org. We the staff (including the con chairs, CFO and Upper management) do not have any voting powers on the board or on anything regarding the future of Anime Expo. Once the bylaws are up I would suggest writing the SPJA and letting them know how you feel since they are the only ones with the power to make a difference. We the staff take full responsibility for our con not living up to expectations this year. As much as we are powerless in the decision making of our present and future, it was our responsibility regardless of the circumstances to make sure this con was successful. Please, I urge anyone not happy with the current state of AX to let the powers that be know how you feel. I pray I'm around to see it change but considering the current state of things regarding AX I have a feeling that I won't be and not because I don't want to.
raikage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-06, 06:29   Link #206
The Bloodlust Kid
Needs a better screenname

Send a message via AIM to The Bloodlust Kid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin_Sama View Post
Johnny Yong Bosch himself actually replied to a video on Youtube showing him speaking at the SOS Brigade Invasion Event, that had a lot of complaints in the comment sectio saying he was stealing the show from the SOS Brigade. I think there is some confusion as the reason he did so much talking is that he was tasked with emceeing the event and thus he would have to come up inbetween some thing and act as host and well....talk. Here is what he said:

tl;dr
What? People accused him of stealing the show? I always thought he was part of the show. I suppose the Japanese guests left in order to prepare for the dance. You guys probably hate me since I was able to wait inside the building for the concert.

By the way, anybody see some guy dragging what looks like a duck with Rick Astley's head? That'd be me.

By the way, here's some pictures: http://s28.photobucket.com/albums/c2...20Expo%202007/

Also, fuck that eyesore LA.

Last edited by The Bloodlust Kid; 2007-07-06 at 07:00.
The Bloodlust Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-07, 18:52   Link #207
Gevurah
What you say?!?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by onehp View Post
It was just a meeting of some kind. Did not went in the room since there was a big line for it

Anyone seen that PDFlo guy? I heard some girl saying "OMG, it's the PDFlow guy! Run away!" The PD Flo guy interviews you with random questions and you get to be aired live, possibly be on YouTube

PD Flo Guy in YouTube on AX '06. IT HAS STRONG LANGUAGE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSGjeuI6738
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kv4wu7tvYMA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nra9flc3gJY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymxRWUX4i18
Yeah, that guy interviewed me and put my Kuma head on. I thought it was pretty fun, especially after watching his vids the night before going to AX.

"I appear to be a plushie, but my heart is that of a wolf." - Kon
Gevurah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-09, 10:16   Link #208
psycho bolt
Cowmaster

What's wrong with LACC? E3 and Xgames are usually held there...
psycho bolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-09, 13:20   Link #209
GameraBaenre

There isn't anything wrong with LACC. Its just that people like to complain. Even it it were to be held back at Anaheim, people will complain. Most of the folks complaining have never even worked or hung out around the LACC/downtown LA enough to know what they're even complaining about.

They are just mindless cattle too used to the media's scare tactics and are just plain afraid of their own shadow....

I'm looking forward to the bigger venue. Granted its much farther away from me than say Anaheim, but the ACC isn't an option; so I'll just deal with the cards dealt. No big deal at all.
GameraBaenre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-09, 20:36   Link #210
Nintendo
start thinkin bout clones

Send a message via AIM to Nintendo
I used to go to AX, but didnt go the last 2 years...and i missed SKIN....so upset about that.

next year ill prob end up going, dont matter what location....LACC is bigger so more places to walk around, its just as safe, the security are always walking around making sure its safe.

if the car show can do it every year with more people and more expensive things around then its perfect for anime.
Old 2007-07-11, 01:13   Link #211
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

I really appreciate the thing raikage posted from the AX forums. It helps me sympathize with the staff, who were no doubt trying their best under difficult circumstances.

The event needs either a permanent CEO or at least an event manager, in any case someone who knows what they're doing and can run an event like this. Managing anything, let alone an event of this magnitude, is really difficult. They need someone who knows how to train and communicate, as well as being able to take in the details of the anime world from the enthusiasts and set up a con that will work for them. A good manager is like gold. She/he doesn't have to be an expert in anime, as long as she's good at the straight thinking, people skills, and multitasking that event management requires.

The technical foul-ups and lack of care for attendees and performers were really disappointing to hear about. With people like the writer of that AX forums note around, at least we know some of the people involved are determined to improve things.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-06, 17:52   Link #212
phoenixfire92983

Send a message via ICQ to phoenixfire92983 Send a message via AIM to phoenixfire92983 Send a message via MSN to phoenixfire92983
Anime Expo 2008

AX is almost at an end. What did everyone think of the panels? By far I thought the concerts and the David Hayter panel were awesome. David Hayter has voice acted for parts like Tamahome from Fushigi Yuugi, Snake in Metal Gear, and Lupin. He had a comedic personality and the favorite question of the panel seemed to be, "Can you say ______ in Snake's voice?"

I was also able to sit in on the Future of Anime Press Panel. It was very interesting to hear the panelist talk about bittorrents and marketing. Over the next few years, they are going to push to have anime more readily available online on sources like iTunes because they feel they'll be able to expose the mainstream public to anime and win over some new fans. One thing that they did express openly repeatedly is that they have to put in at least 4 million dollars into a show to get it started and marketed. One of the challenges that they face is getting sponsorship for this and fan support. As a result, usually animes with more western symbolism or concepts like Naruto, are released more than other genres because they can capitalize on these shows easier.

For any fans of the concerts or the band Jyukai in particular, J-Music Ignited posted up a great interview and review from AX already. You can read that here:
http://jmignited.com
phoenixfire92983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-06, 20:27   Link #213
Slade xTekno
Tekkaman Blade!

For those who are interested, a good overview of the industry panel is up on ANN.
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/conv...death-of-anime

I liked the LACC a lot more than I thought I would. Did anyone else feel the same way?
Slade xTekno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-07, 00:45   Link #214
zzeroparticle
NEET

Send a message via AIM to zzeroparticle
The area was actually nice and spacious for a change. There wasn't a moment where I felt boxed in like I did at previous AXs and the registration line for those who pre-regged moved at a pretty decent clip. All in all, I was happy with the way things felt a lot more organized for once. Even the concert that I went to (Yoko Ishida/Jyukai) was pretty awesome and the Nokia Theater was an excellent venue to have it.

It was a pleasant surprise all around and I was pretty happy with the way things turned out.
zzeroparticle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-02, 18:59   Link #215
Ota-kun
v イイエイイエイイエ!!!v

Alright I'm here (AtToTP). Is anyone here also?
Ota-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-03, 04:16   Link #216
ddwkc
Lone Wolf

Send a message via MSN to ddwkc
I dunno, I prefer AX at LA, Santa Monica, or Long Beach. I don't think Anaheim is really that safer or anything than LA Downtown for anime goers. The same suggested stuff would still be needed in any different location anyway.

I went there at Anaheim CC for Blizzcon and the main floor is too dark and too cold or hot. I went there for AX too long time ago and it was the same. I actually wish for Blizzcon moves from there, but being nearby their HQ is very convenient for the organizers I guess. The AX there was kind of dismal for me, but probably the organizers were less experienced that time. At Long Beach and LA I didn't have bad experiences.
Eo tempore mortem cognovi
ddwkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-03, 14:47   Link #217
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slade xTekno View Post
Is it worth it?
You don't even have to be a anime fan to go to one, so I like to think so yes. Nobody is forcing you though.

Its all about having some fun in your life ~
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slade xTekno View Post
What should I expect?
The biggest gathering of vergins within a 100,000 mile radius.
Old 2010-07-03, 16:35   Link #218
Ota-kun
v イイエイイエイイエ!!!v

This years guest line up was better than last years so that was a plus... Wasn't able to go to the AKB48 concert though
Old 2010-07-03, 19:10   Link #219
Mushi
Hopeless Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ota-kun View Post
Wasn't able to go to the AKB48 concert though
There's a nice review of their show at ANN.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/conv...ive-in-concert
Old 2010-07-03, 19:37   Link #220
Ota-kun
v イイエイイエイイエ!!!v

Oh the sorrow of me coming late I am very familiar with their performances from their theater in Akiba but damn a concert with their top 16....I am a disgrace

Tags
conventions