AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2013-05-13, 22:48   Link #4341
Azuma Denton
~AD~

So only the fight for fourth place between Arsenal and Tottenham will be hightlight of the last match day...

And both Manchester clubs will see new manager next season...
The red one with Moyes...
The blue one is still searching...
Azuma Denton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-14, 05:11   Link #4342
Bri

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar3110 View Post
But then how often the realistic contender win the CL?

I means if you look back in the past decade (10 years), the 4 teams you mentioned make the final 8 times (8/20) and won 4 times (4/20), three was to Barcelona. In fact only one to two team each decade won more than once . Barcelona around 201x, Milan mid 200x, Real late 199x, Milan eary 199x, and Liverpool early 1980x. Within 20 years, the powerhouse changed also around Juventus, Real, Valencia, Ajax, MU. All makes CL final several times in consecutive years, but none could do more than once each decade.

That's why i said MU will need massive improvement under Moyes, or at least two decade to get another 2 CL. Because teams in decline now, will be favour in competing CL within 3-5 years. Dortmund was facing bankrupt a few years ago, and Juventus was still playing 2nd league. Now they could even win it next season

If financial power was the key, you will expect to see Real more often, and the like Man City or PSG to make CL final within the next few years rather than anyone.
The top teams made twice as much as the rest in 2000, now it's 4 to 5 times. Since the mid 2000s those teams started to break away. They've had 12 of the last 20 semi-final places and won 3 out of 5 cups. That's why I believe it's these teams will win more cups in a shorter time span.

The projects like City, Malaga and PSG haven't really threatened the top yet, but they do affect the transfer market and with their spending have turned challengers like Arsenal and Milan in to selling clubs.

Financial power isn't the only factor but it is a requirement to compete. RM has been in the semi's for the last three years. The team isn't as strong as it could be due to chairman Perez's Galatico policy in which players star powers matter more than usefulness for the team.
Bri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-14, 13:12   Link #4343
Bri

City has fired Mancini. Guess the fight for Mourinho is on.
Old 2013-05-14, 16:18   Link #4344
KiraYamatoFan
Banned

Wigan got battered 4-1 today at the Emirates. Basically, that also means no final day drama at the bottom of the table: probably the first time in a while that almost everything is more or less settled before the final day.

I guess the final countdown will be only about what will happen when both North London teams will play each one of the Tyneside rivals (Newcastle vs. Arsenal; Tottenham vs. Sunderland).
KiraYamatoFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-15, 15:40   Link #4345
Dextro
He Without a Title

All I can say is: not again. We lost the championship and the euro league in the same week. It really isn't fair...
Old 2013-05-15, 15:58   Link #4346
Bri

It's always shame to see a team that tries to entertain and play positive football lose. Benfica was a delight to watch.
Old 2013-05-15, 19:37   Link #4347
KiraYamatoFan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bri View Post
It's always shame to see a team that tries to entertain and play positive football lose. Benfica was a delight to watch.
This.

Today's result was just ridiculous (although it was really poor defending by Benfica on the last goal) and I just can't believe FSW managed to add another cup to his resume.
Old 2013-05-16, 09:24   Link #4348
Azuma Denton
~AD~

David Beckham has just announced retirement.
Azuma Denton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-16, 10:37   Link #4349
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiraYamatoFan View Post
This.

Today's result was just ridiculous (although it was really poor defending by Benfica on the last goal) and I just can't believe FSW managed to add another cup to his resume.
Who is FSW btw?

Honestly it makes sense, both for Wigan win in League Cup, and Chelsea in Europa, You creates chances and chances and could not score, simply increase opponent's confidences in defense, increase your team pressure and reduce your defender's concentration. I heard it was hard for teams to replicate Barcelona's possession game, not only due to the quality of attacks, but long possession requires huge concentration from defenders to not slack down and cause mistakes (in oppose to being in defensive side and constantly under pressures).

That contribute a lot in Arsenal downfall. But maybe that's why they can fight top 4 so effectively as so many things were at stake
Old 2013-05-16, 14:10   Link #4350
Bri

FSW is a nick for Benitez, fat spanish waiter.
Old 2013-05-16, 14:33   Link #4351
KiraYamatoFan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azuma Denton View Post
David Beckham has just announced retirement.

Sir Alex Ferguson, Paul Scholes, and now David Beckham... all retiring within just 10 days. That's such a lot to endure at the same time for a Man Utd fan.

We can say whatever we want about him, but he is truly an absolute legend of the game in his own right. I can't think of anybody who was able to deliver a ball with such precision everytime he made a cross into the box (ask Eric Cantona, Ole Gunnar Solskjaer, Andy Cole, Dwight Yorke and Ruud Van Nistelrooy) or when he was in position to shoot those classic free kicks. At the same time, he embodied that classic never say die attitude we all love. He will be missed and best of luck in what comes next for him.

There's only one David Beckham!
Old 2013-05-16, 20:21   Link #4352
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

David Beckham is pure class.

Blessed are those who listen to headphones, for they listen to the sound of heaven.
germanturkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-17, 01:18   Link #4353
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

Beckham's retirement makes me feel...old. I "grew into" football in the era when United was at the height of its glory, when the game had the likes of Zidane and Ronaldo and Ronaldinho, and when England seemed full of energy and hope with Owen, Ferdinand, and, of course, Beckham.

Surprising how a man who's basically the number one favorite target of the brutal British tabloids has walked through life so relatively untarnished. Given this and the consistent tales of his nice qualities and his truly dedicated hard work on the pitch (when he could have stopped caring ten years ago), there's only one conclusion:

Yeah, he's class.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiraYamatoFan View Post
Why you callin' Rafa by that racist chav nickname?

On one hand I'm annoyed the more charming team didn't win, not to mention the winner is Chelsea (oh, the Bayernity!), on the other hand I'm glad for Rafa. Most underrated top manager of modern football. Made his fair share of mistakes, has his flaws, but delivered his share of miracles as well and a world class record. His Liverpool was a class away from the current tragedy and a real opponent to United and my beloved Arsenal.

Plus I'm glad he got a silverware to console for all the feces thrown his way by the lovely "fans" at Stamford Bridge. Some of them can't even congratulate him right now despite his winning them a European title. Bah.
Irenicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-17, 13:50   Link #4354
Neki Ecko
Dancing with the Sky

Send a message via Yahoo to Neki Ecko
Actually, I need some help, I decided to start getting into EPL/J-League since my love for NBA is almost gone and I need something new plus last World Cup was awesome. I been doing the research about it, if yall have any good recommendations, i am all ears.
Old 2013-05-17, 15:37   Link #4355
KiraYamatoFan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irenicus View Post
Why you callin' Rafa by that racist chav nickname?
Well, let's say Benitez did everything to get himself hated by eveyone outside of Liverpool during his tenure there. Of all Non-British managers working in England, he's the only one getting a countrywide song that's mocking him. So that must speak volumes about the guy's despicableness somewhere.

Seriously, Benitez shouldn't be any team's number one choice as manager if the team's aspiration is to win a league title. He may bring you the odd cup here and there, but his approach doesn't suit to win leagues... at least not since Valencia in 2004.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neki Ecko View Post
Actually, I need some help, I decided to start getting into EPL/J-League since my love for NBA is almost gone and I need something new plus last World Cup was awesome. I been doing the research about it, if yall have any good recommendations, i am all ears.
We have the FIFA Confederations Cup in June for starters. It's like a "preview" of what the World Cup will look like in 2014 since it's also played in Brazil. The EPL season will be wrapped up on Sunday, but I think the J-League is still early in the season.

What is it that you need exactly? I might help with something clearer to answer about.
Old 2013-05-17, 16:03   Link #4356
justavisitor

Talking about beckham, I still can't forgive England for dropping him in both world cup and Olympic...I don't know how the other arrogant players treat him in the dressing room, but still, isn't it always good to have one symbolic figure in the list of 23 players? And I haven't heard of him causing any troubles with his teammate in the last 5 years
I am a Ranka fan and I have significant experience in defending various "crimes" committed by Ranka, from her evil plan to terminate human races, to feeding inapporiate food to unknown lifeforms. If you think you find "new" charges aginst Ranka and you are interested, or you care to see how a particular Ranka fan would respond, please feel free to check my previous comment. There is a good chance that I have answered a similiar issue. And of course, my viewpoints do not necessarily represent other perspectivs from numerous Ranka fans in this planet
justavisitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-17, 16:15   Link #4357
KiraYamatoFan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by justavisitor View Post
Talking about beckham, I still can't forgive England for dropping him in both world cup and Olympic...I don't know how the other arrogant players treat him in the dressing room, but still, isn't it always good to have one symbolic figure in the list of 23 players? And I haven't heard of him causing any troubles with his teammate in the last 5 years
Besides that rift with Ferguson in 2003, I don't think I have heard much trouble from Beckham since at all.

I also thought the same thing when they announced the squad for the Olympics. Among the 3 older guys, I was expecting Giggs (he was there), Ferdinand (would have been a much better choice than Micah Richards) and Beckham to be named. Of course you could say I'm biased with the 3 names with affiliation to United, but those 3 guys were no longer affiliated with any national team. I blame Stuart Pearce for making weird decisions on that; he was, is and will always be a shite manager.
Old 2013-05-17, 19:36   Link #4358
Neki Ecko
Dancing with the Sky

Send a message via Yahoo to Neki Ecko
Actually I am looking for a team to adopt(become fan of), I dont want to run to Man U because they are a global brand. I know that somebody was tell me to join Liverpool and they do have a nice squad.
Old 2013-05-17, 19:51   Link #4359
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

Quote:
Actually I am looking for a team to adopt(become fan of), I dont want to run to Man U because they are a global brand. I know that somebody was tell me to join Liverpool and they do have a nice squad.
I recommend you to watch another year before decide. Every team in epl is in a big transition after this season. Mu, Manchester city and Chelsea have new manager. Liverpool just has a new manager and hasn't quits gotten his footprint. Arsenal is.... well being rumoured to start spending at last.... Or they really head for self destruction if keeps not winning anything...

So just pick a few that you want to watch first. Tick in Liverpool. Maybe another for Chelsea just as completely random option. Or another few in other leagues like Dortmund or whatever. Have a lookout for their match, see if you can enjoy their play.... Then decide when you think they are worth to follow.

Because the most frustrating in support football clubs are seeing a unstable times. Your favourite footballer are sold, your favourite manager is sacked, or simply make terrible decision that cost the club.

On the recommendation on Liverpool, it's not so bad to start with. They have financial power, and has been underachieving for 3-4 seasons, which make them currently their lowest. The expectation is low, the squad is young so can still spot promising things out of bad results. Can take it casual.
Old 2013-05-17, 20:52   Link #4360
KiraYamatoFan
Banned

Quote:
I was lucky enough to become a United fan just before they became that global brand. Still, I agree with risingstar3110 about waiting for one more year or have an eye on other leagues before giving yourself a verdict. It mostly depends of which team matches your own identity/style overall after watching teams and players. In my case, I became a ManUtd fan because of their never-say-die attitude. I also enjoy watching Tottenham Hotspur and formerly Everton (that is now unknown because their manager has signed to become Ferguson's successor) because they play some tasty football at times.

In football, it's very difficult to predict what will happen in 4-5 years down the road. Now that the longest serving manager (Sir Alex Ferguson) retired, it might become even more unpredictable in the Premier League.

Tags
football, soccer