AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > To Aru Majutsu no Index

Notices

View Poll Results: To Aru Majutsu no Index III - Total Series Rating
Perfect 10 2 12.50%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 1 6.25%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 1 6.25%
7 out of 10 : Good 5 31.25%
6 out of 10 : Average 2 12.50%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 6.25%
3 out of 10 : Bad 2 12.50%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 2 12.50%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2019-04-06, 18:57   Link #1
Kairin
AnimeSuki's Mascot

To Aru Majutsu no Index III - Overall Series Impressions & Total Series Rating

This thread is to be used for discussing the entire 26 episodes of To Aru Majutsu no Index III ... your thoughts about the show, overall impressions, expectations and hopes about Blu-Ray/DVD-exclusive footage etc.

A few subjects you might want to ramble on about:
  • General impression of the series.
  • Opinions on the overall story, writing & plot devices.
  • Thoughts about the animation quality.
  • Characters/Character Design
  • Voice Acting
  • Which kind of footage (Blu-Ray/DVD-exclusive) you feel you'd really like to see.
  • What the show meant to you.
  • What could the creators/animators/writers have done better.

And so on.

The poll represents your total series rating. In other words, how you would rate all the episodes combined (1-10)? If you'd rather rate the whole series by technical/artistic merits, you can do so. An example:

Animation Quality: 1-10
Voice Actors: 1-10
Script: 1-10
Soundtrack: 1-10
Editing: 1-10
Enjoyment: 1-10
Emotional Involvement: 1-10

Average = Total Series Rating

Or a combination of the two. Or your general gut feeling.

Feel free to discuss and more importantly, have fun
Kairin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-04-07, 02:22   Link #2
magnuskn

This season was a rushed mess. Even as someone who saw every Index and Railgun series before, I was often lost who was who and why things were happening. New characters appeared and disappeared in the series for one or two episodes, with no introduction beyond "Random person, what are you doing here!" for some of them.

The series had some good character development for some established characters and I wasn't totally turned off by the focus on Hamazura. But the criminal lack of Misakas really pissed me off to no end.

2/10 and I am being generous here. Whoever is responsible for this mess should be ashamed of how s/he butchered a well-beloved franchise, because this is as sure a franchise killer as The Last Jedi was.
Old 2019-04-07, 04:36   Link #3
SilverGlavenus

The last episode leaves a sour taste in my mouth. The final fight was anti climatic, Accelerator became an angel for absolutely no reason, Aleister Crowley appeared and said some things I don't even understand. And I don't even know the short haired girl at the end.

The whole season was a mess, apparently they decided to include all the details that they thought interesting, without any build up. The split perspectives between the three male characters was a bad move, considering how much they crammed into this season. The only thing that made me stick with Hamazura was the waifu Takitsubo.

Characters appear out of nowhere, with so little screen time that we viewers don't even begin to have a connection to them. Some scenes to me were particularly cringey, like the Queen of England rallying her people, Misaka Worst's lines or Accelerator's singing.

Overall 2/10, +1 for stellar waifu designs, nothing more, nothing less. Came in with so much hype, came out absolutely disappointed. I'd rather not have a third season instead of this half-assed adaptation.
SilverGlavenus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-04-07, 20:06   Link #4
rladls2121

I say, god damn it.
It was so lacking.
Things were just mashed up together.

I really liked Acqua though
My number one battle in this season was Acqua vs Knight Leader.
I wanted to see more of Knight Leader scenes too.

I don't even look forward to Railgun or Accelerator spinoffs, but I'm going to watch them anyway.
There's really not much animes or anime adaptions beside these.
Again, damn god it.
rladls2121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-04-08, 02:07   Link #5
ramlaen

I'm happy that we got a third season, but it was a monkey paw wish. They covered far too much material and the animation was poor compared to previous seasons.
ramlaen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-04-09, 07:39   Link #6
faiz blaster

Disappointing. It definitely had its moments, but it still failed to live up to everyone’s expectations.
Old 2019-04-10, 11:04   Link #7
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
This is one time I can't help but take the low score. With total honesty...this was bad. It was a mess. For anyone that had been following this show from the anime side of things, it was incomprehensible. I don't know what the heck actually happened in this season.

It was rushed so badly that you needed a wiki to follow what was being left out of it. Characters were just thrown around for the sake of being there and nothing ever was given a chance to have some weight.

Just a shame. People ended up waiting years just to be disappointed.
Old 2019-04-10, 20:20   Link #8
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Imagine being a fan of the series.
Imagine documenting the information that would eventually become the Toaru Majutsu no Index Wiki.
Imagine going through years of being trolled by Miki on stage.
Imagine the excitement of seeing Project Index being revitalized.

Now, imagine getting this POS as a reward for waiting this long.
Yeah.

2/10.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-04-10, 21:39   Link #9
Kuroageha
Mystic Musician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus H. View Post
Imagine being a fan of the series.
Imagine documenting the information that would eventually become the Toaru Majutsu no Index Wiki.
Imagine going through years of being trolled by Miki on stage.
Imagine the excitement of seeing Project Index being revitalized.

Now, imagine getting this POS as a reward for waiting this long.
Yeah.

2/10.
You of all people should have expected this when they said "adapt WW3" , when they said that I didn't had any expectation to begin with thus avoided most of the dissapointment.
Spoiler for wiki:
Old 2019-04-10, 22:02   Link #10
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Well, Railgun S happened, and it was awesome, improving on the Sisters Arc tremendously.
And that's considering we didn't like Nagai.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Old 2019-04-11, 09:51   Link #11
Kuroageha
Mystic Musician

Quote:
Well, Railgun S happened, and it was awesome, improving on the Sisters Arc tremendously.
So 1 arc and the freedom to do fillers vs all the novels together?
Old 2019-04-11, 10:42   Link #12
SilverGlavenus

First season was great, second season was kinda fast and cramped but okay, but this one is too much.

Maybe it's about time I digged into the novel.
Old 2019-04-11, 14:49   Link #13
Natsurin
Memento Mori
*Graphic Designer

This has been one such trainwreck that I couldn't even bring myself to post - or even keep up with the episodes - weekly, or at all.

The story was always going to be a mess, this much we should've all expected (because honestly, how were you going to efficiently cram two seasons worth of material in one) and it was always clear that this was just to wrap up the series itself was mainly promotional material for the novels than an actual fan project to give the series a good continuation.

No, what shocks me is how terribly this was organised. The animation is jarring, horrible, and sometimes doesn't even move at all (still frames + moving mouths ≠ animation), only to look rigid and unnatural whenever it does, and the shit CGI doesn't help in the slightest. And the SFX. I don't understand why the SFX was changed for Imagine Breaker. Probably because fuck you, that's why.

Oh well, I guess I was right in my cynicism after all; a bloody shame. Here's to hoping Railgun and Accelerator will have more worthwhile and better managed time and budget. Ha. Ha. Ha...

Old 2019-04-11, 20:06   Link #14
SilverGlavenus

^At least we know Railgun and Accelerator will be focused on one main character, not some back and forth BS between three characters.
Old 2019-04-11, 21:11   Link #15
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natsurin View Post
This has been one such trainwreck that I couldn't even bring myself to post - or even keep up with the episodes - weekly, or at all.

The story was always going to be a mess, this much we should've all expected (because honestly, how were you going to efficiently cram two seasons worth of material in one) and it was always clear that this was just to wrap up the series itself was mainly promotional material for the novels than an actual fan project to give the series a good continuation.
I'm not sure it was even that. It feels like it was something in the way that they just sped through to get to New Testament
Old 2019-04-12, 01:11   Link #16
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Sad if they think that World War 3 Arc, and the latter half of the Versus RCC Saga, was considered as just a roadblock.

Old 2019-04-12, 06:57   Link #17
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Wow, this might actually rival the Hoshin Engi reboot as one of the most rushed "franchise comebacks" in the last decade. After watching this, I suddenly don't feel bad about other franchise revivals that's considered "not up to standard of the franchise during its prime" like CCS: Clear Card, FMP IV, D.Gray-man Hallow, Rozen Maiden: Zurückspulen, and Hunter x Hunter 2011's Hunter Exam to York Shin saga (where the 1999 anime arguably did them better). They were notably better sequels than Index III anime.

Quote:
Considering that Nagai's directorial discography before this anime is ranging from "fun" (eg. Railgun, Xenoglossia) to "great" (eg. Anohana, IBO, Toradora!), I suspect something made him "not into it" in this case. Could it be that he didn't jive with the Index-side of the story? Is it scheduling problem? Is it resources problems? Not enough time & budget?

Could be a combination of those. I suddenly remember Xebec's not-great adaptation of FMP IV before the company folded and then absorbed by Sunrise shortly after the anime's airing. That kinda tells you how bad the situation was when they were making FMP IV. Maybe the situation in JC Staff at the time was not very good, or they simply don't care.
Old 2019-04-12, 08:40   Link #18
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
Sad if they think that World War 3 Arc, and the latter half of the Versus RCC Saga, was considered as just a roadblock.
I mean when you see Miki, Dengeki et al gushing over NT anime when studio is so under-supported and the production process apparently a botched job, it sure feels that way. Like they realize they have been neglecting the anime for too long and must now rush to catch up
Old 2019-04-12, 23:00   Link #19
Kuroageha
Mystic Musician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
Could it be that he didn't jive with the Index-side of the story? Is it scheduling problem? Is it resources problems? Not enough time & budget? Maybe the situation in JC Staff at the time was not very good, or they simply don't care.
Railgun: Both seasons took care of 1 arc each season and leeway to add original episodes.
Index in general: multiple arcs in 1 season, each season having to put more content despite having the same number of episodes, third season having to cram content that is worth 48 episodes
So there you have it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic Eagle View Post
I mean when you see Miki, Dengeki et al gushing over NT anime when studio is so under-supported and the production process apparently a botched job, it sure feels that way. Like they realize they have been neglecting the anime for too long and must now rush to catch up
Wish this series was under Kodansha wings.
Old 2019-04-12, 23:22   Link #20
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuroageha View Post
Railgun: Both seasons took care of 1 arc each season and leeway to add original episodes.
Index in general: multiple arcs in 1 season, each season having to put more content despite having the same number of episodes, third season having to cram content that is worth 48 episodes
So there you have it.
Yeah, the rushing is real. If the publisher only gave enough budget for 20+ episodes to the studio, whose decision was it to cram so much material? Was it also the publisher's mandate? Coz I have a hard time imagining Nagai proposing such absurdity when his other shows always prioritize giving the story & characters time to breathe.