Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-11-13, 23:15   Link #1
Haladflire65
*Artist

Good Adult Male Leads

Ok. I know I've posted tons of these, but I still haven't found a great new series to watch/read.
I'm putting together/revising several of the suggestion topics I've posted previously...

I'd like some anime or manga with great adult male leads. Like:

Hei in Darker than Black
Roy in Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood (not really a lead, but whatever - he's just plain awesome)
Brandon Heat in Gungrave
Sebastian in Kuroshitusji
Alucard in Hellsing
Johan and Tenma in Monster

Can't think of any others for now... Click the link in my sig to see my Animelist for more info.

Criteria:
- good quality animation/art
- intelligent plot and characterization
- darkness/seriousness (like DTB, for instance.)
- something within the fantasy/action/drama/sci-fi genres if possible - mecha's fine.
- no typical shounens, please - especially the ones that go on forever (eg. Naruto, Bleach, Reborn...)
- good action's desirable.
- adult male leads! adult male leads!
Old 2009-11-13, 23:26   Link #2
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

Finding an actual male lead that's an adult is very hard. Especially since most anime are Shonen... I can't really think of any... except for maybe...

Samurai Champloo
Trigun
Cowboy Bebop
Old 2009-11-14, 00:02   Link #3
Ansalem
Speaker

Hmmm...this one is tougher than I'd have thought. You have most of the ones I can think of somewhere on your list already.

I'll add Outlaw Star, a seinen with an adult male lead. It's a sci-fi with the characters taking an unusual job with their spaceship.

You could also try the movie Sword of the Stranger. It's has two leads, one's a boy and the other is an adult ronin. They both have about the same screen time, and it's a pretty serious seinen with good sword-fighting scenes.
Old 2009-11-14, 00:14   Link #4
Haladflire65
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ansalem View Post
Hmmm...this one is tougher than I'd have thought. You have most of the ones I can think of somewhere on your list already.

I'll add Outlaw Star, a seinen with an adult male lead. It's a sci-fi with the characters taking an unusual job with their spaceship.

You could also try the movie Sword of the Stranger. It's has two leads, one's a boy and the other is an adult ronin. They both have about the same screen time, and it's a pretty serious seinen with good sword-fighting scenes.
Looked up Sword of the Stranger, looks awesome. Outlaw Star doesn't appeal to me as much; I'll keep it in mind for now.

I'm also planning to watch Samurai Champloo and Cowboy Bebop. I'm still considering Trigun; not sure if I'd like it.

Thanks for the suggestions, Ansalem and HayashiTakara

Last edited by Haladflire65; 2009-11-28 at 15:43.
Old 2009-11-14, 00:27   Link #5
Willen
Aoba Tsukishima

Rurouni Kenshin (aka. Samurai X), particularly the OVA series. The TV series is a bit on the lighter tone, although it does get pretty serious at times.
Old 2009-11-14, 00:37   Link #6
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:

Ansalem - look to your own Avatar, Man!

In addition to Ansalem's avatar, I second Rurouni Kenshin - Himura Kenshin is one of the archetypal manga/anime characters of all time.
Old 2009-11-14, 00:40   Link #7
Ansalem
Speaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
Ansalem - look to your own Avatar, Man!
Well, he said it should have good action scenes, and as much as I love Ginko, he's not exactly one for combat. But if he's willing to go more broad in genre, then by all means, Mushishi is certainly an excellent show with an adult male lead.
Old 2009-11-14, 01:31   Link #8
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

I shall third the Rurouni Kenshin suggestion.
Old 2009-11-14, 12:11   Link #9
Haladflire65
*Artist

Quote:
Well, he said it should have good action scenes, and as much as I love Ginko, he's not exactly one for combat. But if he's willing to go more broad in genre, then by all means, Mushishi is certainly an excellent show with an adult male lead.
I'm a girl

Of course I'm willing to watch Mushishi. I've heard great stuff about it and I liked Natsume Yuujin-chou, so I'm gonna give Mushishi a try, too.

Kenshin sounds good. I'll consider it.
Old 2009-11-14, 13:26   Link #10
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Action shows
Ashitaka - Mononoke Hime
Karasu - Noein
Kuro - Kurozuka
Nijuu Mensou - Nijuu Mensou no Musume (he comes and goes, though)
Guin - Guin Saga (he, too, comes and goes)
Dojo - Toshokan Sensou

Outside the action genre
Chiaki - Nodame Cantabile
Ryuu - Bartender
Apothecary - Bakeneko/Mononoke
Hachimaki - Planetes
Satou - Welcome to the NHK!
Genji - Genji Monogatari Sennenki
Kyougokudou - Mouryou no Hako (he appears about half way through)

There are a profusion of adult males in Saiunkoku Monogatari and Ristorante Paradiso. In the latter they're all well over thirty. Baccano! has quite a few mature male characters as well.
Old 2009-11-14, 14:31   Link #11
Neat Hedgehog
Hack of all trades

Jyu Oh Sei might be worth looking into. It's a fairly fantasy-feeling sci-fi series. The main characters are kids for the first few episodes, but then there's a time-skip.

Heat Guy J falls squarely into the sci-fi drama genre, and has good characters. It's a little episodic, but manages to make it mini-storylines intelligent enough to keep that from being a problem.
Old 2009-11-14, 14:35   Link #12
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

I would have to recommend Eden of the East.
Old 2009-11-14, 20:32   Link #13
kakakka

Shin Angyo Onshi (manwha)
- The beginning might start as episodic, but the story is not bad as it goes on. As far as I remember the fights are ok. It's a fantasy. Has good drawing. It has memorable characters. And yes, adult main character.
Old 2009-11-14, 23:28   Link #14
Haladflire65
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by kakakka View Post
Shin Angyo Onshi (manwha)
- The beginning might start as episodic, but the story is not bad as it goes on. As far as I remember the fights are ok. It's a fantasy. Has good drawing. It has memorable characters. And yes, adult main character.
I took a look, and I'm very pleased with it, especially the fact that it's Korean. Thanks a lot for the suggestion.

Don't worry, I'm researching all the other series mentioned too.
Old 2009-11-15, 10:18   Link #15
miaka

Black Blood Brothers (Kojiro) - vampire/action
Tears to Tiara (Arawn) - action/adventure
Hatenkou Yuugi (Alzeido) - shoujo/adventure
Old 2009-11-19, 20:12   Link #16
Haladflire65
*Artist

Any more suggestions? I'll just mention that the ones that appealed t me most so far were Shin Angyo Onshi (I'm already hooked), Sword of the Stranger, Mushishi, Cowboy Bebop and Samurai Champloo. I know, I'm really picky...

Last edited by Haladflire65; 2009-11-28 at 15:44.
Old 2009-11-20, 20:28   Link #17
Woopzilla
Desensitized

Perhaps Solty Rei. The main character is an old hardened man working as a bounty hunter with a fairly sad past.

I've only just started this anime and am liking it so far. There's been quite a few light-hearted episodes but also some more action driven ones. The backstory lends a bit of the 'dark' criteria to the show that you requested. I wouldn't say the entry's 'post-apocalyptic' tag is wholly applicable, but the town is at least recovering from a terrible incident that affected many peoples lives.

This anime made me want to see more shows with older leads, and that's how I found this thread. I'll be checking some suggestions out too.
Old 2009-11-21, 23:35   Link #18
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

look no further than Scryed,TriGun and Kenshin.

these three hold more than 2 awesome adult male leads. not to mention lots of action each episode.

Vash and Wolfwood - Trigun
Kazuma and Ryuho - Scryed http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1TOre2mg5w ( a awesome AMV to show you lots of the action)
Kenshin and (forgot his name) - Kenshin
Old 2009-11-22, 10:41   Link #19
Haladflire65
*Artist

Question: Black Lagoon has a female lead, right?

@ Ansalem: I watched Sword of the Stranger and loved it. Thanks for the suggestion!

Edit: I'm now watching Mushishi and enjoying it very much^^

Last edited by Haladflire65; 2009-11-22 at 13:13.
Old 2009-12-02, 09:48   Link #20
Jetbent
Cross Game convert

I think Heroic Age might work. However, though the male lead is technically an adult, he's completely innocent (he however took a level in badass before the first episode began). Mushi-Uta had a good lead too.
Closed Thread