AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Monster

Notices

Old 2004-04-12, 00:37   Link #81
Grifis
Eternal Dreamer

I like it so far. Dr. Tenma kind of looks like a young Master Keaton. Saw both Totan's and Akeep's but I still don't know which version to archive. ^_^;

Grifis
Grifis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-12, 01:03   Link #82
Spooky-Electric

I'm waiting for Anime-Kraze version before I decide which to go with.

So far I think I like Totan's translation a little better, I only wish they put a little more polish into it. There's some errors like "What do you saying" and other little things with the apostrophes and stuff. (Yes, I'm picky about those things)

Keep has the better quality in terms of video and audio so far.
Spooky-Electric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-12, 03:23   Link #83
CompShrink
getting in comps' heads

Send a message via AIM to CompShrink
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kagari-chan
The reason you might say Totan's is closer to the manga is because a lot of their translation is similar to the text scripts posted here. http://stephen.swoo.net/monster/monster.html They could have used those, you know.
If you are implying as I you think are, that we simply took those scripts and edited them heavily, we didn't. The translators have read the manga, more than once, and have loved it. Thus yeah, we probably ended up sounding similar to the manga. If you think we stole the manga translations because of our speed, I'd like to point out that, except for one episode, we were the first to release the Gunslinger Girl episodes we did as well. Here's a copy of a log, please don't think I'm trying to brag, I'm trying to explain, and I feel a bit attacked.
Quote:
[04:51] <chynyj2> !GsG-13
[04:51] <chynyj2> sweet
[04:51] <Lisak> hehe, skipped my work today because of gsg... didn't have any sleep the night before either... ^_^;
[04:52] <Lisak> but we just want to end it with a style
[04:52] <CompShrink> lol, yeah skipped studying for a test to edit gunslinger...
[04:52] <chynyj2> wow
[04:52] <Lisak> that's the spirit of otaku
[04:52] <CompShrink> and went slightly over my bandwidth cap finding a good raw...
[04:52] <chynyj2> that's dedication
We sub as best we can. We know people don't like to wait. Speed is deffinately not more important than quality, but we only work on one show at a time, a show we love dearly, and we put our all into that show, a lot of effort, and alot of time, without regards to what time of the day it is. We also have members in different time zones, such as parts of Europe and the US. So, yes, the end result is a fast release.

Quote:
So far I think I like Totan's translation a little better, I only wish they put a little more polish into it. There's some errors like "What do you saying" and other little things with the apostrophes and stuff. (Yes, I'm picky about those things)
Yes, we will be working on polishing these types of things on our next release.

I am very glad that so many have enjoyed our release, and I welcome feedback, even negative, if it is constructive. As for those waiting for Anime-Kraze, I hope you at least give us a chance, if you have enough bandwidth to do so.
CompShrink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-12, 03:38   Link #84
Spooky-Electric

Quote:
Originally Posted by CompShrink
Yes, we will be working on polishing these types of things on our next release.

I am very glad that so many have enjoyed our release, and I welcome feedback, even negative, if it is constructive. As for those waiting for Anime-Kraze, I hope you at least give us a chance, if you have enough bandwidth to do so.
I'm glad to hear that. I will definitely be checking out your next episode. This is one series where I want to give every version a fair chance, so I will probably d/l at least the first 3 episodes from each group and compare.
Spooky-Electric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-12, 03:48   Link #85
box-chan

really made me think

watching this back to back with bobobo really disturbed me...
This stands out in my mind as a visually stirring piece- perhaps a little too tense at times. I'm still reserving my thoughts on Dr. Tenma's true nature, per the discussion early on in this thread. One thing is for certain, he is only human.

I managed to be fairly insulated from any influences from manga so this will truly be my first exposure to the story /characters /concepts etc... I'm having trouble grasping how truly evil all these people are that Tenma has chosen to surround himself with.

Perhaps his ambitions got the better of him and this event in episode one jars him loose? The fiance in particular is distasteful, perhaps more-so than her father since he just looks overtly "dirty." Maybe I despise her because she tries to use those feminine wiles on him.

is there some overall foreshadowing I've missed/ perhaps a novelty of some character's aspect? It seems to delve right into the dark/occult without so much as a how-do-you-do.

i eagerly await the next few episodes. and i will not watch them after taking in a vicious nose hair fight. gawd.
box-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-12, 05:00   Link #86
dreamless
/Ultimate Magic Attack!!!

I don't know about the "dark/occult" part, I think it's a fairly realistic representation of the real world situation. There are quite some doctors in real world who practice some quite unethical things for personal gains, like doing false/irresponsible advertisment for certain brand of medicines for money, or ask for bribes before operations. And personally I don't think many medical students in universities who choose their research projects for the sake of curing other people, a lot of them care about their own grades more than saving people's lives. One of the reasons that MONSTER is so great and psychologically terrifying is that it feels quite possible for the whole thing to happen in real world, just around you and me.
dreamless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-12, 07:02   Link #87
whatever123

Send a message via MSN to whatever123
just watched the episode and i loved it good job totan
Old 2004-04-12, 15:02   Link #88
SwiftStar
Daydreamer

I watched Totan's too and aside from that one "What do you saying?" line, I thought it was pretty good. The show just has a dark, oppressing feel to it. I am incredibly eager to find out where it goes from here. I agree with whoever said the wife is more distasteful. The Father/Director is a jerk who is using and ignoring him and is a despicable human being but the wife, with that smile on her face, is just so disgusting that you want to hit her. You just want to tell the guy to go to hell. Between this Interlude and to some extent This Ugly and Beautiful World, there seems to be some heavy handed stuff this season.
SwiftStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-12, 15:08   Link #89
dreamless

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwiftStar
I watched Totan's too and aside from that one "What do you saying?" line, I thought it was pretty good. The show just has a dark, oppressing feel to it. I am incredibly eager to find out where it goes from here. I agree with whoever said the wife is more distasteful. The Father/Director is a jerk who is using and ignoring him and is a despicable human being but the wife, with that smile on her face, is just so disgusting that you want to hit her. You just want to tell the guy to go to hell. Between this Interlude and to some extent This Ugly and Beautiful World, there seems to be some heavy handed stuff this season.
umm... wife? do you mean Dr. Tenma's fiancee?
Old 2004-04-12, 15:32   Link #90
SwiftStar
Daydreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamless
umm... wife? do you mean Dr. Tenma's fiancee?
Uhhh, yeah, the fiance.
SwiftStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-12, 18:18   Link #91
box-chan

ugh, that lady gives me the heebees. yick. I bet her tongue is forked.
Old 2004-04-12, 20:10   Link #92
CompShrink
getting in comps' heads

Yeah, Eva, Tenma's fiance, I really can't stand her... she is so manipulative... "hardship doesn't suit me" as if it suits anyone, and some people's lives are more valuable... gah... hate her...

Edit: had to add this:
Old 2004-04-12, 20:27   Link #93
musouka

Eh, as I've said before, I actually ended up liking Eva. Not particularly because she gets any nicer--if anything, she gets worse--but she's nicely characterized and has interesting growth. It would be boring if everyone in the series was a goodie two shoes, and there's little doubt in my mind that there are people like her out there.
ずっと変りはしない
musouka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-12, 21:41   Link #94
CompShrink
getting in comps' heads

Quote:
Originally Posted by musouka
Eh, as I've said before, I actually ended up liking Eva. Not particularly because she gets any nicer--if anything, she gets worse--but she's nicely characterized and has interesting growth. It would be boring if everyone in the series was a goodie two shoes, and there's little doubt in my mind that there are people like her out there.
I agree, she seems a realistic character, and I'm sure there are people like her out there. Also, like you said, it would be boring if everyone was a goody toe-shoes. So, we were meant to hate Eva, imho, and they have successfully made me hate her.

That doesn't mean I don't think she's an important and well done character, because I do.
Old 2004-04-12, 22:06   Link #95
dreamless

Actually I like the Eva character a lot, she's just like a somewhat spoiled child... who can speak just what she sees... human lives don't have equal values? well, that's the truth after all... it's just not everyone can speak it out so casually and directly, while she just speaks out what she sees... for me she's at least more likeable than those sickeningly naive "the sky is blue the sun is bright the flower is pretty and the world is a beautiful place" princess kind of characters
Old 2004-04-13, 00:22   Link #96
box-chan

yes, perhaps she does speak some sort of ugly truth, just not truth with a capital "T". Seems its the truth of her family and their little ideology.

-Unless you hail from that group of literary philosophers that doesnt believe in A Truth...but then again deconstructionists want to call everything a "text" so that is also not very accurate. Myself? I'm more of a marxist literary critic for what its worth, which does leave some room for Truth, but only as it is meted down from those in charge.

Coincidentally, this interpretation has an interesting resonance with the series discussion-wise since Eva and her father are of the ruling class. there is that differentiation between her breeding and that of Tenma's (with him coming over a lowly student etc etc). Truly he's the forgotten bourgeoisie in this struggle, and from my standpoint his clash can't result in anything but pain. Gotta say, the more I think about it, the better this thing gets for me- and Eva seems like an integral part of the story.

Something that sticks out is this: His whole character thus far is built on other people's expectations; i.e. he is certainly not a self-made man. Methinks this will probably result in some kitschy music and an identity crisis later in the series as he tries to carve his niche.
Old 2004-04-13, 01:17   Link #97
musouka

Quote:
Originally Posted by box-chan
Something that sticks out is this: His whole character thus far is built on other people's expectations; i.e. he is certainly not a self-made man. Methinks this will probably result in some kitschy music and an identity crisis later in the series as he tries to carve his niche.
Personally, I think he's already started to try to carve out his own identity and niche in deliberately disobeying the director's orders and doing what he considers right. I suppose if you think the music in that scene is kitschy...

It's obvious that his own, personal view of the equality of people is not the same of Eva's and her father's. Though he might pay lip service to it by agreeing with them, the anime does a very good job of showing you how deeply it goes against his grain. (I epsecially love the scene at the restaurant when this is illustrated.)

Interestingly enough, this comes about from Eva trying to "comfort" him. At that moment, the death of the man is obviously eating at him, but he wants reassurance that it wasn't his responsibility. She gives it to him, but at the cost of having to buy into a statement such as "people's live are not all equal", and Tenma is a good enough man that he can't really bring himself to do that in the end.

Unfortunately for him, Tenma is still a bit naive, in more than one way...
ずっと変りはしない
Old 2004-04-13, 01:28   Link #98
box-chan

Quote:
Originally Posted by musouka
Personally, I think he's already started to try to carve out his own identity and niche in deliberately disobeying the director's orders and doing what he considers right. I suppose if you think the music in that scene is kitschy...

It's obvious that his own, personal view of the equality of people is not the same of Eva's and her father's. Though he might pay lip service to it by agreeing with them, the anime does a very good job of showing you how deeply it goes against his grain. (I epsecially love the scene at the restaurant when this is illustrated.)
mybad, I was actually making fun of EVA, dramatic music, soul searching that sort of thing. I think the music is fine overall.

That restaurant scene was definitely his turning point and a shocker for me, it seemed like the climax of episode one. I was sitting there with my mouth open through most of it. I think we see Tenma taking his first steps as you put it, to define himself in his own terms, but being a self-made man will certainly require some more soul searching if the realism in this series continues to play out. I think he's confused now, but his defiance will become more overt- i.e. we haven't seen the extent of the rebellion.

the daughter worries me, is she some sort of oracle? she repeats "kill...kill" but i just have this hunch that in addition to knowing the truth about that night in ep 1 we may see something else from her. Or is that WAY the hell off base? (hence my use of the word occult earlier, which is perhaps inappropriate at this point).
Old 2004-04-13, 01:39   Link #99
dreamless

Quote:
Originally Posted by box-chan
the daughter worries me, is she some sort of oracle? she repeats "kill...kill" but i just have this hunch that in addition to knowing the truth about that night in ep 1 we may see something else from her. Or is that WAY the hell off base? (hence my use of the word occult earlier, which is perhaps inappropriate at this point).
well, it's not really occult or oracle stuff, but it's a very dark twist....
Old 2004-04-13, 01:42   Link #100
musouka

Quote:
Minor spoilers:

Spoiler:

Monster isn't really a "supernatural" series. As someone above mentioned, there isn't really anything in this series that couldn't feasibly happen in real life, which, to me, actually makes it all the more horrifying.
ずっと変りはしない