AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Naruto/Boruto

Notices

View Poll Results: Who is your favourite tertiary character?
Shino 33 48.53%
Kankuro 11 16.18%
Tenten 16 23.53%
Chouji 11 16.18%
Iruka 15 22.06%
Ebisu 3 4.41%
Ibiki 8 11.76%
Udon 2 2.94%
Hanabi 8 11.76%
Other 15 22.06%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2009-12-21, 00:06   Link #1
james0246

Best Tertiary Character

This thread is dedicated to the seldom seen and often underappreciated (sometimes by the creator himself) characters. Here we will discuss our favourite non-major character and either their impact within the story, or their basic potential as a character/fighter/etc. Do not, I repeat do not, turn this into a flame war; this thread is only dedicated to appreciation, and while criticism is useful, it is not the intent of this thread to be used as a grounds for lambasting the various tertiary characters (though, it is okay to vent your frustration that a favourite tertiary character never made their way to secondary or main character status).

Note: the poll options were designed around characters that have no real place in the story - They've never played an important role besides seat-fillers. So, this thread will not list such characters as Anko, Hinata, Asuma, Kurenai, or other lesser characters that while not main, are still firmly secondary. Rather, these tertiary characters have firm connections to the secondary and main characters, but their appearance seems almost unnecessary for any particular scene, if for no other reason than they never seem to do anything of importance (or if they even attempt something, they fail before they even get going (Hinata is only saved from this because of her "love" for Naruto)).

edit: This thread is open to both anime and manga fans, so please place spoilers around any potentially unknown characters, etc.

Last edited by james0246; 2009-12-21 at 00:29.
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-21, 00:28   Link #2
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

Give me Shino or give me death...
Old 2009-12-21, 01:29   Link #3
milan kyuubi
Call me MK! :)
*Graphic Designer

Ebisu for sure, he can be funny and serius when he has to. I also like how Naruto calls him closet pervert.

Last edited by Hunter; 2009-12-23 at 10:46.
milan kyuubi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-21, 02:33   Link #4
Bassoonicmayhem
The Procrastinator

Shino has always been one of my favorites! I wish he got more screen time. =/
Old 2009-12-21, 03:41   Link #5
valk0v

Hanabi, i want to see more of the bykugan
valk0v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-21, 05:24   Link #6
Kafriel
Senior Guest

I voted for Iruka, Chouji and Tenten...
Iruka: for being Naruto's first bond, he was forgotten way too easily, if Naruto ever gets to attend the jounin exams, I'd like to see him fight against Iruka, or at least do a mission or two as fellow chuunin.
Chouji: Shikamaru's best friend, although he doesn't steal the spotlight like his buddy. I like this character more in terms of battle development, medicine can always have all sorts of effects on yourself and a true ninja would drug his enemies too, adding stealth or even suspense to a fight (but not venturing into death note-caliber of suspense, would be way too ooc for Chouji).
Tenten: could have been very frustrated at how she's the same as usual when her teammates are growing in power every single day, but Gai, Lee and Neji could also use a lot more panel time...especially if the author decided to develop his characters from comic relief and filler material to ninjas who strive to fight with their own way of the ninja, much like Naruto. Lee in particular could have made an entire arc featuring the obstacles of being an exclusive taijutsu ninja, with Gai giving him a few tips and Neji being his final hurdle.
Kafriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-21, 09:31   Link #7
Cub-Sama
Member of DOLLARS
*Artist

Other for Ichiraku and his daughter, I wish I could see them more, that cooking ninja thing was funny.

We are DOLLARS, credit for sig goes to CMHerrera-chan
Cub-Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-21, 10:37   Link #8
The Chaos
ǾΝΈ ΡЇΈÇΈ is the Best !!

I voted only for Tenten
Old 2009-12-21, 17:01   Link #9
DeDe
Ino-Shika-Cho

I know what you are saying. But some of these characters are still more secondary. Hell, in the anime, Shino gets tons of time compared to the manga. A tertiary character is someone with a very minor role who shows up for a certain amount of time in the background, never the focus of anything. Choji was the focus of a few chapters. Shino was the focus of a few chapters. Iruka was in the manga a lot in the early stages and has a relationship with the main character. Tenten? Yeah, she probably qualifies. But I'm thinking more like Genma, Aoba, Inari, Moegi, Baki, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafriel View Post
Chouji: Shikamaru's best friend, although he doesn't steal the spotlight like his buddy.
That's because he is not as interesting and has little to no fanbase. Shika was voted in the top 5 most popular Naruto characters in a couple official Shonen Jump polls. Choji was the only one of the kids to not crack the top 30. Who would you focus on? Choji was the classic example of a character who should have died. He had the perfect death. There was no reason to bring him back.
Old 2009-12-21, 18:04   Link #10
Kafriel
Senior Guest

Quote:
But some of these characters are still more secondary.
The Poll gods (i.e. James xD) can change it, we can only cling to his options~
Quote:
Genma, Aoba, Inari, Moegi, Baki, etc.
Genma and Baki qualify, since they're both above average and were discarded too fast, but Inari is just a human, if I expected to see him anywhere, it would be at the very end of NARUTO. Why do you include Moegi and Aoba in the best? I find them the incarnation of generic when it comes to anbu and genin...
Quote:
Choji was the classic example of a character who should have died. He had the perfect death. There was no reason to bring him back.
Neji could have died too, but in the end they both lived...actually a great lot of naruto characters have had chances at dying, it's a shame that so many survived o_0
Kafriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-21, 18:05   Link #11
james0246

^Number of fights does matter to the definition of secondary or tertiary, but ultimately it is not the quantity of appearances, but rather the emotional range as well as character development (the "quality") that represents the gap between secondary and tertiary. To briefly look at the world of The Simpsons, characters such as Chief & Ralph Wiggum, Cletus the Slack-Jawed Yokel, Sideshow Bob, Smithers, Jeff Albertson, Troy McClure, etc, all make multiple appearances (and even have an episode or episodes dedicated solely to themselves and their "character development"), but all are labeled as tertiary. (I could go through other popular stories, etc, but suffice to say, many tertiary characters are still present during large sections of the story, they are just ultimately unimportant to the story or they lack any real character definition...that is why they are tertiary).

While I may agree that Iruka could probably be classified as a secondary character, the others (Shino, Chouji, etc) are clearly tertiary characters since they have very little importance to anyone or anything (they can be readily replaced by almost anyone since their fights, if they do fight, have little actual character development (this is definitely true of Shino and Kankuro, but Chouji's one fight did matter, but sadly he lived)).

Main characters have "full" definition (they are "round" with well defined emotional qualities, actions and responses), secondary characters have slightly less definition, and tertiary characters have little to no real definition beyond their introduction (flat and predictable). (That is not to say that main characters without sufficient definition automatically become tertiary, that simply means that the main character is boring, and the author/creator is bad .)
Old 2009-12-21, 21:25   Link #12
kitten320

I only voted for Kankuro.
Old 2009-12-22, 02:55   Link #13
Haladflire65
*Artist

I've always thought Shino was interesting/cool, and I'd like more from him. It's a real pity that he hasn't done anything through the entire series.
Old 2009-12-23, 00:17   Link #14
Aimingan12
Chibi's Bishie
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Aimingan12
I only voted for Ibiki

"All is lost."
Aimingan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-23, 01:16   Link #15
monir
cho~ kakkoii

I only voted for Shino, Chouji, Ibiki, Kankuro, Hanabi, Iruka. I also wanted to vote for Moegi, the ultimate sexiness representing the female species according to her own words. So I voted for Others as well.
monir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-23, 01:32   Link #16
james0246

Where is all the Udon love? Come on people, if Naruto ever becomes Hokage, it is so obvious that Udon will be his succesor. I mean, they are both named for a Japanese food, and that has to mean something...

That being said, Show'em all Hanabi, show'em just why and how you are going to steal away Naruto from your older sister...
Old 2009-12-23, 01:36   Link #17
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
That being said, Show'em all Hanabi, show'em just why and how you are going to steal away Naruto from your older sister...
Just by the virtue of Hanabi is the future sister-in-law for Naruto. Sister-in-law tends to be hotter than the wifey in general. Btw, who is Udon? I'm drawing a blank here.
Old 2009-12-23, 02:08   Link #18
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by monir View Post
Just by the virtue of Hanabi is the future sister-in-law for Naruto. Sister-in-law tends to be hotter than the wifey in general. Btw, who is Udon? I'm drawing a blank here.
"The one who likes dividing by numbers: Udon." Udon is Moegi and Konohamaru's partner in crime and the third member of Team Ebisu, not to mention the 8th Hokage...and he has a runny nose.
Old 2009-12-23, 03:16   Link #19
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
"The one who likes dividing by numbers: Udon." Udon is Moegi and Konohamaru's partner in crime and the third member of Team Ebisu, not to mention the 8th Hokage...and he has a runny nose.
My profound apology for daring to forget such prominent name. Of course I remember the 8th hokage with runny nose. The man is as dashing and equally charming just as Moegi's aura as a woman and the self-proclaimed sex-appeal she projects.

I wish I could vote for Udon now.
Old 2009-12-23, 11:06   Link #20
milan kyuubi
Call me MK! :)
*Graphic Designer

Spoiler for Ebisu: