AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Madoka Magica

Notices

Old 2012-07-07, 17:23   Link #3381
Kotohono
Yuri µ'serator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirito View Post
Madoka Magica and Gundam: Origins win at Japanese Sci-Fi Convention. Since when was Madoka sci-fi...weird, I don't know about all of you but it didn't look sci-fi to me, just saying.
Kyubey was an alien, channeling the energy created from the Magical Girls' emotions to act as counterforce to Entropy's otherwise theoretically inevitable heat death of the universe, he is the reason it could be viewed as Sci-fi .
MAL
Kotohono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-07, 17:30   Link #3382
Kirito
Enjoying Snack Time!

Send a message via MSN to Kirito
Right, I forgot about that, and I call myself a pure Madoka fan. I should seriously feel ashamed of my myself!: "Lowers head in shame"
Old 2012-07-09, 00:22   Link #3383
BaKaBaKaOtaKu
Stupidity is Bliss.

Madoka Magica Win 'Sense of Gender' Awards:

http://tinyurl.com/87e8bkt

Madoka Magica, Gundam: The Origin Win at Japan Sci-Fi Con:

http://tinyurl.com/6ux4p5o

Keep these awards coming, Madoka XD

Last edited by BaKaBaKaOtaKu; 2012-07-09 at 00:35.
BaKaBaKaOtaKu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-16, 22:00   Link #3384
flack

This show was very good and all but I can't help wonder why can't you just wish for an infinite amount of wishes. That way when something goes wrong just make another wish.
flack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-16, 23:38   Link #3385
Guernsey
The GAP Man

Send a message via AIM to Guernsey Send a message via MSN to Guernsey Send a message via Yahoo to Guernsey
Who knows but given that this is Urobuchi we are talking about, he find some contrived way to make things worse.

Last edited by Guernsey; 2012-07-17 at 11:56.
Guernsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-16, 23:57   Link #3386
Kimidori
The Opened Ultimate Gate

Quote:
Originally Posted by flack View Post
This show was very good and all but I can't help wonder why can't you just wish for an infinite amount of wishes. That way when something goes wrong just make another wish.
even if they did, do you think something like kyubey would grant it? and kyubey only convert karma power into wishes, the more they wish the more miserable they are.
Old 2012-07-17, 00:43   Link #3387
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Honestly, this is kind of implicitly ruled out for wish-based plot devices all the time. It's never used because it would break any story, not just Madoka Magica.

The only time I've seen a story revolve around a guy that had infinite wishes to use, the narrative had to turn him into a complete moron just to ensure that the plot lasted the full length of a movie.
Old 2012-07-17, 01:33   Link #3388
flack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimidori View Post
even if they did, do you think something like kyubey would grant it? and kyubey only convert karma power into wishes, the more they wish the more miserable they are.
The kyubey grants any wish and he has to if a girl wishes to become a magial girl. I think that was the rule he gave to the girls. To wish that you can wish an infinite number of times counts as a wish. And about the karma, you can just wish it away.

Now, when I posted that I was actually thinkin of some of the aspects of the plot that I don't like in this show. For example, the restrictions to the wishes are not really explained in detail and really the characters didn't delve deeper into more logical and intellectual aspects of thought to attack their circumstances. They just simply seemed to only abide to (like they have no other option) the rules that the kyubey have said to be true and set those rules as boundaries of ther power. Hence, they suffer due to those boundaries.

In a situation such as that, I would probably have asked the kyubey what sorts of wishes can be granted, the condition for it's use, how he actually makes the wish come true, etc. I would try to inquire more information and understand more of the situation and try to reason with kyubey and such... Well then again I am not a 11-13 year old girl and given the situation, that is probably what an 11-13 year old woud have done. Makes me really wish that there was a very very smart girl (maybe someone with the intellect of light yagami) in the show. I am a person who wants major questions that I ask of a show to be answered and this show left me with alot of important unanswered questions...
flack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-17, 02:21   Link #3389
MartianMage

Quote:
The kyubey grants any wish and he has to if a girl wishes to become a magial girl. I think that was the rule he gave to the girls. To wish that you can wish an infinite number of times counts as a wish. And about the karma, you can just wish it away.

Now, when I posted that I was actually thinkin of some of the aspects of the plot that I don't like in this show. For example, the restrictions to the wishes are not really explained in detail and really the characters didn't delve deeper into more logical and intellectual aspects of thought to attack their circumstances. They just simply seemed to only abide to (like they have no other option) the rules that the kyubey have said to be true and set those rules as boundaries of ther power. Hence, they suffer due to those boundaries.

In a situation such as that, I would probably have asked the kyubey what sorts of wishes can be granted, the condition for it's use, how he actually makes the wish come true, etc. I would try to inquire more information and understand more of the situation and try to reason with kyubey and such... Well then again I am not a 11-13 year old girl and given the situation, that is probably what an 11-13 year old woud have done. Makes me really wish that there was a very very smart girl (maybe someone with the intellect of light yagami) in the show. I am a person who wants major questions that I ask of a show to be answered and this show left me with alot of important unanswered questions...
This is the same argument some of the people used to debte months ago. The answer would be no you most definitely won't be asking for details. It's easy to say that on hindsight but you know when most people are presented with the opportunity and there's nothing suspicious about it(there was nothing suspicious about Mami and Kyubey) they won't be asking for details. Just go tell some random guy, what if you're a genie and you can grant him 1 wish what would it be? He will most prolly think about what wish than go asking about the red tape.
Kyubey: Perhaps the same could be said of all religions.
Homura: Your words are as empty as your soul! Lolis ill-needs a savior such as you!
Kyubey: What is a loli? A miserable little pile of moe! But enough talk...have at you!
MartianMage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-17, 02:39   Link #3390
Sol Falling

Quote:

There are/were no restrictions to the wishes. It's pretty much exactly like Kyuubey stated. The thing is that the wishes are granted using the girls own karma/magical energy. Either they had the potential to manifest their chosen wish (i.e. see Kyuubey's numerous comments "if it's you, it's possible") or they didn't (generally unlikely, we saw no examples within the show so far).

If the girls' magical energy gets used up, then they turn into a witch. The same thing if a girl experiences despair and their soul gem starts dirtying naturally. Those are the only limitations. So basically, saying something like "I wish to have infinite wishes" would not really change anything because you would still just be limited/inescapably bound by your own magical potential/energy.

Madoka's ability to resolve the ending was not just thanks to her wish. It was also thanks to her massive magical potential thanks to the karma built up around her by Homura. Basically, having "knowledge" or "playing smart", alone, would not have been enough in this series to really achieve anything. At best a normal magical girl would be able to avoid despairing and probably survive longer. You can read the spin-off manga Puella Magi Kazumi Magica if you're interested in some of the possibilities of this kind of scenario (the Puella Magis having more knowledge). But fundamentally, the ability to change or "fix" the Puella Magi system in any real manner basically lay only in the hands of someone under certain specific circumstances, such as Madoka.
Sol Falling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-17, 11:30   Link #3391
sa547
*Author

Oh, wow, he's coming to Otakon.
http://otakon.com/guests.asp

But Kyoko's the real icing on the cake!
Old 2012-07-17, 14:36   Link #3392
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa547 View Post
Oh, wow, he's coming to Otakon.
http://otakon.com/guests.asp

But Kyoko's the real icing on the cake!
Butcher Gen and Kyoko? I'm now so very jealous of being unable to attend
Old 2012-07-17, 23:40   Link #3393
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to bhl88 Send a message via Yahoo to bhl88
I am truly jealous and my collection is stuck in LA.
Old 2012-07-24, 14:49   Link #3394
Animexcel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dextro View Post
Butcher Gen and Kyoko? I'm now so very jealous of being unable to attend
Likewise. Some day.. some day.
Animexcel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-05, 17:28   Link #3395
redgrnbluylw

http://www.shaft-web.co.jp/C82.html

Shaft will be hosting a Madoka Magica booth at this month's Comiket 82. Their booth number is 221. I hope will hear some news about the new films coming in October.
redgrnbluylw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-18, 23:28   Link #3396
Kirito
Enjoying Snack Time!

Final Madoka Magica Animation Note delayed for 1 month.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news...elayed-1-month
Old 2012-08-22, 20:24   Link #3397
sa547
*Author

http://yaraon.blog109.fc2.com/blog-e...1419.html#more

Funny, it seems that the streams were being cockblocked.
Old 2012-08-23, 00:32   Link #3398
Kirito
Enjoying Snack Time!

A Kyubey cake being sold for the Madoka Magica fans, to eat. It sounds and looks delicious, looks creepy but tasty from the looks of it.

Why can't we get this in Canada, I want to try it too and I'm a huge Madoka fan. This is saddening.
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/inte...face-as-a-cake
Old 2012-09-16, 13:15   Link #3399
sa547
*Author

http://yaraon.blog109.fc2.com/blog-e...1847.html#more
http://ameblo.jp/072100/page-2.html#main

Someone put up this Madoka figma as a talisman for this particular guy in ICU.
Old 2012-09-16, 18:41   Link #3400
sirn
田舎者言うな

He is Sugi-chan, a Japanese comedian famous for his Wild Daro~ jokes. He probably bought this one by himself (or rather, bought the PSP game and bring it with him while hospitalize). Interestingly, Shinbo seems to really like his joke (judging from his Twitter.)

Sugi-chan: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UZskrf5SVk
sirn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
despair, hope, madoka magica, magical girl, urobuchi gen