AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Gurren-Lagann

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-07-28, 22:42   Link #21
darkchibi07

Send a message via AIM to darkchibi07 Send a message via MSN to darkchibi07
You can try watching this on Sci-Fi's website if the commercials get really bothersome.

http://www.scifi.com/anime/

As for this is the first time watching this series, hey this series could be a lot of fun! And it's a very solid Bang Zoom! dub so far; you get no complaints out of me!
Old 2008-07-28, 23:53   Link #22
Kagedanji
Doughy goodness. I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiToon View Post
OK.... just got done watching the first episode of the Bandai dub....

Pros:
- The english voices sound better to me now... I guess I just had to get used to them.

....That's it.

Cons:
- SciFi's #$%&#($% 50 million commercial breaks!!! >.<
- Simon's name is said so many times you could have a drinking game. XD
- Yoko's Ritona is now Litner.
- A few scenes edited out.
- La-Gahn?
- Is it just me... or did SciFi speed up the Opening Credits?

GAH! It's mostly the SciFi channel that is bugging me!!! >.<

CT
Openings always get sped up when localized for shortening air-time. The opening sounded normal in the second episode, at least.

Also, even Sci-Fi's website throws ads at you while you watch videos.
Old 2008-07-29, 02:17   Link #23
Malintex_Terek
Mahjong Triple Pro

Blum does a great Leeron, he's really too talented for California dubs these days~we're lucky he hasn't forgotten his roots.

I've less favourable things to say for the rest of the dub, though. Paul St. Peter is wasted on the Chief, he should have been Lord Genome. Kamina is weak, Simon and Yoko are *meh*, I actually like their performances less than Kamina's.

The Garlock sequence was underwhelming, too.

Personally, I feel too many people are going into the dub wanting to like it - demand higher standards and maybe, just maybe, we'll see fewer economy-class speed dubs in the future and people won't have to settle for saying "it's good" and can instead say, "it was the best dub I've seen all year/decade/century".
Old 2008-07-29, 03:00   Link #24
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

I thought the dubbing was alright. The screaming sections were handled pretty decently, but Kamina feels a bit too bubbly and Simon sounds like a grown adult.

Also, I wish they didn't say "SEE-mon" all the time. Why can't they just Americanize "Simon" like normal? I don't see why not.
Old 2008-07-29, 09:51   Link #25
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Yeah I don't see the point in not americanising it, it sounds weird...

Also Kamina sounds like the Old batman from the 60s
Old 2008-07-29, 14:33   Link #26
Kagedanji
Doughy goodness. I think.

They kept the strange name pronounciations like Vi-rale and She-mone to keep the hidden meanings of the names. Shimo = below to contrast to Kami = above. Viral and Enki when pronounced correctly were the names of a writer, Enki Bilal.

Though, if they were trying to do this, they should said SHE-mone instead of SEE-mone like they always do. The name loses it's meaning when they do that. It also sounds more odd than She-mone. In the dub, Viral's name is also pronounced Vee-rul, where it would sound better and be more accurate if they said Vee-rall, or Vee-rale.
Old 2008-07-30, 00:34   Link #27
Mysticmidnightmaiden
is Ultra Relaxed

Send a message via AIM to Mysticmidnightmaiden
^
I thought they were doing that to go with the Greek/Latin pronunciations of the names...

Kamina needs to drop some ballz (aka go more bass/gritty/GAR), Simon and Leeron are awesome, and Yoko's alright. I really wanted to hear the old ADV dub... That one was shaping up to be an awesome cast... ;_; Guess there's no real point for me to wait for the dual DVDs now...
Old 2008-07-30, 20:40   Link #28
muramasa.swordsman

I thought the dub was horrible.
Old 2008-08-01, 23:01   Link #29
mmx100

Best scene in the dub
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDF5mTV0no4
Old 2008-08-04, 22:15   Link #30
ChibiToon

After watching episode 3.... I change my mind about Viral.

I love his voice now. XD

CT
Old 2008-08-04, 22:33   Link #31
CJL13
God of his own ego

Damn I missed the Viral episode.
Old 2008-08-04, 22:40   Link #32
White Manju Bun
Anxious bookseller
*Author

Ok I liked Kamina's voice alot better in epi 3 though he still needs to pull off "who the hell do you think I am better". I...I like Viral's voice.
- 11th Doctor.

Sig by TheEroKing
Old 2008-08-04, 22:48   Link #33
CJL13
God of his own ego

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Manju Bun View Post
Ok I liked Kamina's voice alot better in epi 3 though he still needs to pull off "who the hell do you think I am better". I...I like Viral's voice.
Clips of Viral's voice from 3?
Old 2008-08-04, 23:19   Link #34
AquaMethod
キラボシ★

Send a message via AIM to AquaMethod
I noticed the sped-up OP too, but I could have sworn that they also sped up Viral's theme when he fought with Kamina in episode three. o_o; I'm...not sure what the benefit of that would have been, though.

Episode four was annoying as always. Kiyoh's voice was a little too sultry, but I suppose it fit; Kinon was probably as good as you can do her in English (it's a bit like trying to dub Yuki from SHnY), Kiyal was good, but her Japanese voice was much cuter; and Kittan seemed fine to me.

Cuts and commercials were annoying as always, but didn't make it unwatchable, even if it is weird seeing GL on the TV. And I swear Kamina didn't cuss that much. :l
Old 2008-08-05, 05:11   Link #35
Trogdor Jube
Back at it again

I was quite surprised with Kamina's use of "bitch" 3 times so far.
Kittans not bad, he's good a little Brooklyn in him.
Viral goes into second place of my favorite voice acting of the dub so far (Leeron being first)
Old 2008-08-05, 11:51   Link #36
ChibiToon

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaMethod View Post
I noticed the sped-up OP too, but I could have sworn that they also sped up Viral's theme when he fought with Kamina in episode three. o_o; I'm...not sure what the benefit of that would have been, though.

Episode four was annoying as always. Kiyoh's voice was a little too sultry, but I suppose it fit; Kinon was probably as good as you can do her in English (it's a bit like trying to dub Yuki from SHnY), Kiyal was good, but her Japanese voice was much cuter; and Kittan seemed fine to me.

Cuts and commercials were annoying as always, but didn't make it unwatchable, even if it is weird seeing GL on the TV. And I swear Kamina didn't cuss that much. :l
Ha! I thought the same thing about Viral's theme song when they started playing it. XD I just thought it was my imagination. Oh well... didn't hurt the scene any anyways. XD

And episode 4...... Ugh... I seriously had to force myself to watch the entire thing. Great voices, but that animation.... x.x

I wish they would say who is doing Adiane's voice! (I want to be able to hunt her down at conventions with my cosplay. XD )

CT
Old 2008-08-06, 14:53   Link #37
Dusk_
Forever Fallen

Send a message via MSN to Dusk_
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperKnuckles View Post
Also, I wish they didn't say "SEE-mon" all the time. Why can't they just Americanize "Simon" like normal? I don't see why not.
Just pointing out that the "SEE-mon" pronounciation can also be attributed to the French name, rather than the American one. In other words "SEE-mon" is an actual name.
Old 2008-08-07, 16:10   Link #38
CJL13
God of his own ego

I like both Virals' voices.
Old 2008-08-09, 23:08   Link #39
Ctdash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusk_ View Post
Just pointing out that the "SEE-mon" pronounciation can also be attributed to the French name, rather than the American one. In other words "SEE-mon" is an actual name.
That's inaccurate. I got a cousin who's name is Simon and my french mother pronounces his name "SEE-mo" if it's supposed to be french name the "n" is supposed to be silent. The way they say "See-mon" in the english dub would mean that the name has to be spelled "Simone" which is actually a feminine name but whatever...

I was always thinking that that Steven J. Blum (who did awesome works with boisterous characters such as Mugen and Spike Spiegel) would play Kamina's voice but I guess he ain't that bad as Leeron... I thought he would have been perfect for Kamina. "Who the hell do you think I am?" still doesn't sound strong enough in the times it is said in the anime which is another disappointment.

So far, the things that bothers me in the english dub is Kamina's voice over, the pronunciation of Simon's name, and the inability to grasp the culture that the Japanese voice actors incorporated into the theme of TTGL. I originally saw the english dub first a couple of episodes but then I switched and started over with the original japanese version.
Old 2008-08-11, 06:28   Link #40
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

In french the n is not quite silent, it affects how the o is pronounced, rather than seemoh it's a sound that is not easily written in english, but it's like the ONS in AVONS (in french). The feminine version Simone does pronounce the n though
Closed Thread