AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2013-03-30, 22:23   Link #181
Dr. Casey

Quote:
Originally Posted by bones View Post
All I got was that this boy came over to play with Izumiko one day, got frustrated with her shyness, acted like any other kid his age and tried to force her out of it.
I'm pretty sure I don't remember throwing things at girls when I was four for no real reason, I wasn't a brat

And all I was saying is that your statement of "Izumiko didn't defend herself when she was being bullied, so therefore Miyuki wasn't bullying her" doesn't make much sense.
Dr. Casey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-30, 22:36   Link #182
bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Casey View Post
I'm pretty sure I don't remember throwing things at girls when I was four for no real reason, I wasn't a brat

And all I was saying is that your statement of "Izumiko didn't defend herself when she was being bullied, so therefore Miyuki wasn't bullying her" doesn't make much sense.
I never said he wasn't bullying her I stated that it can't be defined as abuse. Pretty sure that i mentioned bullying in all its aspects not just throwing stuff at girls. Also your statement sounds like you threw things at four year old boys, and at four years old not much difference between boys and girls in being bullied.
bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-30, 22:39   Link #183
Dr. Casey

Well, a single act of bullying is synonymous with a single act of abuse (since abuse doesn't have any specific upper or lower limit concerning severity, it just means deliberately attempting to hurt someone), which is how I meant the word; but it's true that a single instance of mistreating someone doesn't equal an abusive relationship, which requires a consistent pattern of being an asshole.
Dr. Casey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-31, 12:26   Link #184
garbage

EP 3

wow I guess suzuhara is a power onto herself even without Himegami, being able to bind a mountain god as a child, just with that dance.and now able to affect everything around.Like how they're building up her character. The Dance itself is not the best Miko Dance I've seen, but it works well enough. PA could have made it more spectacular(but would that be OOC ? she is after all just in middle school) Liked the music accompaniment though .

For Miyuki , im still kinda on the fence, I still feel they're made his actions too extreme in character from one episode to the next like a pendulum. Anyway hope it settles more in future episodes... which I think it will judging from the OP.But then that makes EP 1 feels kinda forced as if they just wanted to say miyuki did have character development.

Although...judging from the episode itself....Wamiya seemed to imply that Suzuhara changed just like that & suddenly too,just by going to Tokyo & maybe by meeting miyuki. Suzuhara herself waas surprised by her own change of mind.So maybe the same is true for Miyuki. This sudden change might be in fact part of the plot & the mystery. In which case it would be good. Anyway future episodes will hold the answers hopefully.

Speaking of Wamiya, that's some twist there, (wait the other old classmates were seeing him right?) anyway I liked what they did with his character (still can't get over the fact who the VA is though ) I suspect this won't be the last we'd see of him.
Old 2013-03-31, 16:19   Link #185
SQA

Ep 1 was directed in such as way as to hide the actual personalities of the two main characters, thus allowing for forced "growth" in a short time frame. It was actually a case of pretty shoddy work, where the practical understandings of the situations at hand and the emotional response to the presented situations were completely different.

So the nicest thing to say about the flashback in ep 1 is that it wasn't needed. Even though that entire second half of ep 1 was pretty bad.
SQA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-31, 17:11   Link #186
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

@FredFriendly -- I've watched ep3 again and I have to turn back my approval a notch. I found Miyuki-kun's scared scene too much. And I'm blaming the seiyuu (Uchiyama Kouki), or perhaps the direction of the seiyuu. I'm still perfectly happy with Izumiko's development, despite what may seem a sudden access of power, but was actually revelation of a hidden power that was always there. I'm not sure she herself saw all those flowers opening and sparks dancing in the air, lol.

I do share your aversion to plots where the nice girl falls in love with the nasty guy, but it's not as if it isn't common enough in real life. And in this case, I got the significance of her feelings as he was dragging her by the hand to safety. He can be nasty, but he was her saviour then, and she felt it. It's his unstable characterization that isn't quite making it, for me. I don't know for sure that we are working our way toward romance, but it certainly seems like it. I wish I liked Miyuki more. Perhaps his recently softened character will make him more acceptable.

@garbage -- I personally loved the very simple and understated dance, and I want to make sure that what you refer to as "music accompaniment" is at least partly credited to the seiyuu herself, Hayami Saori, who did the singing. I think she has one of the most purely "beautiful" singing voices in the world. I just hope that the slight dissonances were part of the traditional music, and not her voice losing pitch.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-31, 18:49   Link #187
Kiniest

To be honest, this is better than most of the shows from the last season.
Kiniest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-31, 19:01   Link #188
FredFriendly
Beyond the Fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by garbage View Post
wow I guess suzuhara is a power onto herself even without Himegami, being able to bind a mountain god as a child, just with that dance.and now able to affect everything around.Like how they're building up her character. The Dance itself is not the best Miko Dance I've seen, but it works well enough. PA could have made it more spectacular(but would that be OOC ? she is after all just in middle school) Liked the music accompaniment though .
When I watched the dance, I wondered if it came naturally to her. In a recent anime with a girl chosen to replace a god, the girl had to practice endlessly to get even close to being right. Perhaps because she herself is a Himegami, Izumiko never had to practice.

Quote:
For Miyuki , im still kinda on the fence, I still feel they're made his actions too extreme in character from one episode to the next like a pendulum.
Good analogy, that.

Quote:
Anyway hope it settles more in future episodes... which I think it will judging from the OP.But then that makes EP 1 feels kinda forced as if they just wanted to say miyuki did have character development.
Gotta make him look like a saviour and a saint.

Quote:
Although...judging from the episode itself....Wamiya seemed to imply that Suzuhara changed just like that & suddenly too,just by going to Tokyo & maybe by meeting miyuki. Suzuhara herself waas surprised by her own change of mind.So maybe the same is true for Miyuki. This sudden change might be in fact part of the plot & the mystery. In which case it would be good. Anyway future episodes will hold the answers hopefully.
Once again, like episode 2, while watching episode 3 I felt like I must have missed a few episodes. Three episodes in and Izumiko is already so head-over-heels in love with Miyuki that she can't bear the thought of being separated from him and decides to go to the same school in Tokyo so she will be close to him, even though she hated the idea of moving to Tokyo which frightens her? And why? Because he held her hand? Not only that, Miyuki is already being portrayed as if he's on the road to sainthood, as well as starting to fall in love with Izumiko. This methamphetamine rush is almost enough to make me want to drop the series and start doing drugs instead.

Quote:
Speaking of Wamiya, that's some twist there, (wait the other old classmates were seeing him right?) anyway I liked what they did with his character (still can't get over the fact who the VA is though ) I suspect this won't be the last we'd see of him.
They certainly did leave the door wide open for his return. I suppose, since he was so all-powerful, he was able to mind-control all the students into believing in him. Thought it was amusing that Miyuki couldn't see him following in the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
@FredFriendly -- I've watched ep3 again and I have to turn back my approval a notch. I found Miyuki-kun's scared scene too much. And I'm blaming the seiyuu (Uchiyama Kouki), or perhaps the direction of the seiyuu. I'm still perfectly happy with Izumiko's development, despite what may seem a sudden access of power, but was actually revelation of a hidden power that was always there. I'm not sure she herself saw all those flowers opening and sparks dancing in the air, lol.
Well, Izumiko confronting Wamiya and winning over him was a given, wasn't it? I would have been surprised if that hadn't happened, though, frankly, I was a bit surprised at how easy it was for her.

Except for the unbelievable emotional attachment Izumiko now has for her protector, I didn't find her development odd at all (though I do wonder when she changed before dancing; another hop, skip and jump).

Quote:
I do share your aversion to plots where the nice girl falls in love with the nasty guy, but it's not as if it isn't common enough in real life.
Oh, that's true enough. Love is definitely blind.

Quote:
And in this case, I got the significance of her feelings as he was dragging her by the hand to safety. He can be nasty, but he was her saviour then, and she felt it.
See above comments.

Quote:
It's his unstable characterization that isn't quite making it, for me. I don't know for sure that we are working our way toward romance, but it certainly seems like it. I wish I liked Miyuki more. Perhaps his recently softened character will make him more acceptable.
They sure are trying pull us down the rosie garden path, hand-in-hand with Miyuki. Frankly, I don't see what he could do or how he could change that would make me like him. Even if he somehow saves Izumiko life at some point I'd be like, well, that's his job. So what? Like garbage said, forced character development through pendulum mood swings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiniest View Post
Unfortunately, that's not saying a whole heck of a lot. Although I didn't watch very many of the shows from the season that just ended, the only show that didn't disappoint me by the end of the series was Boku no Imouto wa Osaka Okan, which is also the only show of the lot that I would wholeheartedly welcome another season (Namika is the best imouto ever!).
FredFriendly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-31, 19:07   Link #189
Kiniest

Yeah, Miyuki thus far is obviously the biggest flaw in the series. Not the character, but his unexplained whiplash of a development. It doesn't make much sense, and it probably won't be explained anytime soon. Regardless, it's pretty good thus far.
Kiniest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-31, 22:16   Link #190
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Yeah, Miyuki thus far is obviously the biggest flaw in the series. Not the character, but his unexplained whiplash of a development. It doesn't make much sense, and it probably won't be explained anytime soon. Regardless, it's pretty good thus far.
Maybe being a rebellious teen, he found something to do to "get back" at dad, becoming Izumiko's bodyguard and husband to spite him. Either that or dad threatened to toss him off Mt. Everest if didn't straighten up.
Old 2013-03-31, 22:30   Link #191
Sakanaka Shouko

Quote:
Well, last season was so weak that it can't really be used as a base. But this show is indeed pretty good.
Old 2013-03-31, 22:54   Link #192
Grifis
Eternal Dreamer

Well I kind of expected Wamiya to stir up some trouble but I didn't expect him to attack quickly and disappeared quickly.

I don't dislike Miyuki. The boy isn't a bad egg. He was just being rebellious toward daddy. Boy and girl become friendly quick it's not unbelievable. These are good kids who misunderstood each other by the way they expressed themselves. But it's all well and good once they really interact. They're not scheming evil doers. Besides, they're bound toward each other so there's some kind of element working behind the scene on that. *ahem*

I know they must get to "the school" arc quickly. They need to introduce more hot monks. It's so far so good for me. There ain't nothing out I want to see anyways.
Grifis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-31, 23:30   Link #193
Julio C
Bury My Shell

Send a message via AIM to Julio C Send a message via MSN to Julio C Send a message via Yahoo to Julio C
I didn't have problems with Miyuki at all. I didn't find him annoying or much of a jerk he is supposed to be. What's weird is how he quickly change just after 3 episodes. I guess the next episode is where the story really begins with the main school they are supposed to go.

Wamiya guy, I never trusted him at all. It's weird how he attacked right away and disappeared in one episode while also changing from this sick bastard into some polite kid again. I guess P.A. Works like to rush things again especially with the 6 month time skip at the end of episode 3.

Yeah well this winter season was one of the worst in years.

This is a good show so far, but it's probably going downhill from here unless P.A. Works does some magic.
Julio C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-01, 08:23   Link #194
-Sho-
~Omedetô~

Well we all share the same feeling for Miyuki's acting who is too much bad played. Ep 1 to 3 , wth with his character...
-Sho- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-01, 08:31   Link #195
novalysis

I still think this has commercial disaster written all over it.
novalysis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-01, 09:38   Link #196
Ghanw
(-_-)

They're rushing too much, idk if this has to do with the rushing but fitting most of the novel story into 12 episodes could be one of the factors.
Ghanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-01, 14:24   Link #197
Julio C
Bury My Shell

Send a message via AIM to Julio C Send a message via MSN to Julio C Send a message via Yahoo to Julio C
I guess the abuse scenes were controversial. That's just part of life anyway, a lot people were abuse/bully during their childhood.
Julio C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-02, 00:14   Link #198
orpheus2
Pleased to Meet You

I watched the episodes. It seems good so far. I will continue watching.
Old 2013-04-02, 03:10   Link #199
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Is Miyuki's conversion unrealistically complete? Yes and no. I look at his character as someone who's major issues weren't with Izumiko, but with his father (and apparently with good reason). He's an adolescent, and since he wasn't really able to take his frustrations out on Yukimasa he peevishly took them out on Izumiko. Not only was she handy, but also conveniently symbolic of everything Miyuki was angry about - having no control over his life, his father's domineering nature, and a system that's based on heredity rather than merit (and we see subtle signs in this episode that Miyuki is still troubled by this aspect of Izumiko).

Seen through that lens, I don't think Miyuki's change in attitude is a major problem. Should it have happened over five or six episodes instead of three? Yes, in an ideal world - which with only one cour to work with, P.A. Works isn't living in. Especially when you consider the fact that they had a near-death experience in Tokyo (or so it seemed) to bond over, plus the age-old thing teens have always united over - a shared anger at an adult - I think it's believable that Miyuki would accept his responsibility and suck it up. Your mileage may vary.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-02, 03:27   Link #200
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Episode 3... The glasses and the moeness.... it can't be helped....
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fantasy, p.a. works, school life, seinen, shoujo