AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Nanoha/Vivid Franchise

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2007-06-02, 04:46   Link #201
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron008R View Post
Yuuno ordered Nanoha to hit Reinforce with as much MAGIC damage as she can during A's. Will that do?
Nope, that can still relate to physical damage, concidering every single one of Nanoha's attacks are magical.

Edit: The term magic damage itself is a confusing one, anwyay. Can't you think of a better one, Chaos?

Last edited by Keroko; 2007-06-02 at 05:13.
Old 2007-06-02, 04:47   Link #202
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Yuuno ordered Nanoha to hit Reinforce with as much MAGIC damage as she can during A's. Will that do?
I don't know... I can bet their counter would be

"But that could mean just any spell attacks!"

We have to go right back to the source... back when people first wondered why Fate wasn't well-done after being hit by Starlight Breaker...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
Nope, that can still relate to physical damage, concerning every single one of Nanoha's attacks are magical.
See?

Quote:
Edit: The term magic damage itself is a confusing one, anwyay. Can't you think of a better one, Chaos?
It's not MY words
Old 2007-06-02, 04:48   Link #203
Aaron008R

Quote:
Nope, that can still relate to physical damage, concerning every single one of Nanoha's attacks are magical.
I think it was more along the lines of not harming Hayate's body in order to save both her and Fate.

OC Profiles
Yagami Hayate: ver. GenerationS; Part 1, Part 2
Old 2007-06-02, 04:52   Link #204
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
I think it was more along the lines of not harming Hayate's body in order to save both her and Fate.
He also says 'don't hold anything back' converting physical damage into spiritual damage would do so. Besides, concidering you would be attacking Hayate's soul, wouldn't that be even more dangerous?
Old 2007-06-02, 04:54   Link #205
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
He also says 'don't hold anything back' converting physical damage into spiritual damage would do so. Besides, concidering you would be attacking Hayate's soul, wouldn't that be even more dangerous?
...Stop using the word 'soul'

I didn't mean it as in LITERALLY her soul ...
Old 2007-06-02, 04:55   Link #206
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
The term magic damage itself is a confusing one, anwyay. Can't you think of a better one, Chaos?
Craft Dmg.
Mana Dmg.
Linker Dmg.
Spell-Cast Dmg.

---
Or my own personal favorite...
Lyrical Damage.
Old 2007-06-02, 04:56   Link #207
Aaron008R

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post

Hehe. Spiritual damage? So YOU were the one who started that.

I like to think of it as more of HP and MP damage.

OC Profiles
Old 2007-06-02, 04:58   Link #208
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:

Then what else are we supposed to be using? You're the one claiming that they're not attacked on a physical level.

Yeesh, I feel as if no-one read my post using defense instead of beams as an argument.

After all, the only reason this started was because people could survive hit without a scratch on their body.
Old 2007-06-02, 04:59   Link #209
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Then what else are we supposed to be using? You're the one claiming that they're not attacked on a physical level.
I've already change it to "magical properties".

I'm not the one who first said the Starlight Breaker does Magic damage only... Damn, where are the more experienced people when you need them?
Old 2007-06-02, 04:59   Link #210
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
After all, the only reason this started was because people could survive hit without a scratch on their body.
When does this episode air.
I'm sure the no-blood and few scratches might be explained with air-times and audience very easily.
Old 2007-06-02, 05:01   Link #211
Aaron008R

Quote:

Yeesh, I feel as if no-one read my post using defense instead of beams as an argument.

I, for one am not discounting the role of Barrier Jackets in defense. But of course, it also functions as physical defense aside from magic defense. Getting thrown thru buildings proves it's worth despite looking like cosplay costumes.

OC Profiles
Old 2007-06-02, 05:16   Link #212
An Hero in Disguise
Human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cats View Post
When does this episode air.
I'm sure the no-blood and few scratches might be explained with air-times and audience very easily.
1:10 AM? At this time I'd expect flying limbs and decapitated magical girls
Old 2007-06-02, 05:22   Link #213
Aaron008R

Umm, I think Keroko's brought up discussions about defense would be a good topic right now.

The barrier jacket design never really mattered much. It defends you against both spells and physical weapons all the same. The no cuts and no scratches even after smashing into buildings makes this all the more valid, right?

OC Profiles
Old 2007-06-02, 05:25   Link #214
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Umm, I think Keroko's brought up discussions about defense would be a good topic right now.

The barrier jacket design never really mattered much. It defends you against both spells and physical weapons all the same. The no cuts and no scratches even after smashing into buildings makes this all the more valid, right?
*Wave hand in front of face*

The Barrier jacket is a fancy piece of armor, yes yes... Why else would it be there...

Like the "Phase Shift"...

(Yes, I KNOW they work differently...)
Old 2007-06-02, 05:27   Link #215
Aaron008R

Quote:
*Wave hand in front of face*

The Barrier jacket is a fancy piece of armor, yes yes... Why else would it be there...

Like the "Phase Shift"...

(Yes, I KNOW they work differently...)
Sooo, are the parties already in agreement?

OC Profiles
Old 2007-06-02, 05:41   Link #216
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Sooo, are the parties already in agreement?
I have never doubt the Barrier Jacket as a form of protection Nor can I deny that they provide some level of defence for both physical and magic base damage.

(Ah ha! The term does exist officially! I'm not crazy!!!! MUWHAHAHAHAHA...!)
Old 2007-06-02, 05:44   Link #217
Aaron008R

Quote:
I have never doubt the Barrier Jacket as a form of protection Nor can I deny that they provide some level of defence for both physical and magic base damage.

Actually, I think you've gone crazy AFTER the confirmation of your claims.

I think you should quote Thisguy's post here to avoid confusion.
Ah, nevermind, I'll do it instead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thisguy View Post
Now that I noticed, I've been using that setting without thinking much, I'm relatively new for this series myself (it was even after A's airing)

After quick reading through wiki, it was first explained in 1st season DVD booklet (which I don't have), and official page mentions about it too.
(Official page's summary for A's Ep11, as far as I've found, clearly says about it)

Also A's manga mentions about these "Non-lethal" settings in last episode and (according to Wiki) Novel too makes explanation of it.

OC Profiles
Old 2007-06-02, 06:05   Link #218
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:

Unfortunately, this still doesn't prove your 'spirit/soul/linker/watachamacallit damage' claim (as I never denied the existece of the magical damage term, I just found magical damage and physical damage to have the same result, namely physical injury).

After all, this was the chapter ThisGuy was reffering to (Note Hayate explaining the rules about none lethal attacks in the bottom right frame):

and this was the result:

Now, you try and explain to me why all those people are charred and dirty, or what all that rubble is doing there if the attacks were supposed to be non-physical.

Seems like my claim about down-powering your attacks is far more likely.

Last edited by Keroko; 2007-06-02 at 06:31.
Old 2007-06-02, 07:16   Link #219
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Unfortunately, this still doesn't prove your 'spirit/soul/linker/watachamacallit damage' claim (as I never denied the existece of the magical damage term, I just found magical damage and physical damage to have the same result, namely physical injury).
"Magical Property".

Quote:
After all, this was the chapter ThisGuy was reffering to (Note Hayate explaining the rules about none lethal attacks in the bottom right frame):

and this was the result:

Now, you try and explain to me why all those people are charred and dirty, or what all that rubble is doing there if the attacks were supposed to be non-physical.

Well, that's easy

Magical attacks affect Barrier Jackets because they're magic-base to begin with, hence their jackets are in a mess.

And a physical attack can also be "non-lethal", doesn't mean it's purely magic base. Which would explain all the rubble.

And I've got official info as back up for my 'magic damage' claim on Starlight Breaker
Old 2007-06-02, 07:31   Link #220
Aaron008R

Quote:

and this was the result:

Three possible answers and two relative questions. You may take your pick.

Here goes:

I was under the impression that the clashing S-ranked attacks far surpassed the pre-set parameters of the training room and caused a major breakdown in the equipment, which leads to explosion.

OR

When did they say that physical damage are prohibited in the match? Hayate said non-lethal and not non-physical. Signum, Vita and the others wouldn't fit in, otherwise.

OR

It was just a case of the producers not thinking as far ahead as us.

OR

We could always bring up the issue of why did the water gushed upward when Nanoha fired a purely magic damage Starlight Breaker on Fate during S1?

OR

Why wasn't there a scratch on Uminari City after Reinforce 1 fired off her Starlight Breaker?

Basically, we're only arguing ourselves into a corner and out of it later.

Personally, I think the concepts of the several types of damages are not as well thought out by the producers, so there are several noticeable plot holes that can be seen if you look closely enough.

Like I said, this isn't STAR WARS.

OC Profiles
Closed Thread