AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2013-01-14, 15:32   Link #1421
August138

That might be him, Ithekro... Vito, it comes with a booklet of the complete storyboards for Episode 13, with Yamamoto on the cover.
Old 2013-01-14, 16:10   Link #1422
macdawson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vito View Post
I hate you :P Joke aside wasn't there also an Akira Yamamoto illustration with the theater exclusive release?
You mean this?

It's the episode 13 storyboard booklet and yes, it's exclusive to the theatre release. :'( One more reason to hate August. XDDD
macdawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-14, 17:44   Link #1423
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by macdawson View Post
You mean this?

It's the episode 13 storyboard booklet and yes, it's exclusive to the theatre release. :'( One more reason to hate August. XDDD
...Christ that's adorable.
Roger Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-14, 18:04   Link #1424
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

So Mars has cute sleepy women?

I've been attempting to make up versions of the ships involved in the battle at the start of episode 11 for a convention in February. I think I have them done now, though balance may be a problem. (I removed the shields/refective armor from the Gamilas ships I used for the Battle at Pluto since the Cometine ships did not seem to have the problem the Earth ships did).

I had to revamp the Cometine destroyer and carrier slightly to fit in, but not a whole lot. The cruiser was the tricky thing because it has eleven gun batteries on it. Fortunately I noticed that most of the Comet ships have a lot of gun batteries anyway, just not always of the same type. I made it something between the destroyer and the Antimatter missile cruiser.

The Gamlas battlecruiser wasn't all that tricky. But Dommel's Flagship? That was interesting. That ship already exists in the game system, but the specs on it in Yamato 2199 are just way over what it use to be. I was conservative in making it only about 50% larger than it was before, but giving it massive guns (larger than Yamato's) makes me think it will be very nasty in a fight. I've not gotten around to remaking the SMITE ship though it is on the Flagship now. The Wiki notes that the SMITE ship has six missile tubes (actually it notes the Flagship has six missile tubes on its bridge, but that it the same thing really).

With the notes for Chapter 5 noting that Dommel's Fleet might have 10,000 ships, I am wondering if Yamato will use the Wave Motion Gun against them. In the original series, Yamato never fired the Wave Motion Gun at enemy fleet units. Large single objects for the most part. Also I wonder if they might "invent" the spead effect that the later Earth ships have in the Farewell Yamato and Resurrection movies. Cause while the Wave Motion Gun is powerful, it would only cut a path through the Gamilas fleet. A spread like Andromeda has would wreck the fleet. Though we never see Yamato use this effect. They only fire a single beam of energy (though it might be a rather wide beam from time to time).
Old 2013-01-14, 18:48   Link #1425
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
So Mars has cute sleepy women?
NOT FOR LONG!

*prepares to relieve mars of all it's sleepy women*
Old 2013-01-14, 19:00   Link #1426
Vito
Asshole.

Quote:
You mean this?
Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Ah so it's the storyboard book, can't buy it on the official site? Yeah he can scan it and rip the bluray to repent for his sins.

Kinda annoyed the slipcases are first pressing as well, so I'm still conflicted, not that the show really needs my supports mind you since its selling awfully well. It's kinda nice to see some hardcore fans in this thread
Vito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-15, 01:23   Link #1427
macdawson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vito View Post
Ah so it's the storyboard book, can't buy it on the official site? Yeah he can scan it and rip the bluray to repent for his sins.

Kinda annoyed the slipcases are first pressing as well, so I'm still conflicted, not that the show really needs my supports mind you since its selling awfully well. It's kinda nice to see some hardcore fans in this thread
He won't. XDDD

Yep, it sucks it's first press only.
Old 2013-01-15, 04:43   Link #1428
macdawson

Those who have seen chapter 4, what do you think about. . .

Spoiler:
Old 2013-01-15, 09:57   Link #1429
Cyprene

The storyboards for this anime are super-cool. Way, way more detailed than a lot of other shows.

If you get a chance to pick something like what's shown above up, go for it.
Cyprene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-15, 13:38   Link #1430
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Quote:
Those who have seen chapter 4, what do you think about. . .

Spoiler:

It will depend on context I suppose. Though unless something interesting happens, I doubt there will too many of us that see any of this until the end of February (much as we would like to see it before then).
Old 2013-01-15, 18:09   Link #1431
macdawson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyprene View Post
The storyboards for this anime are super-cool. Way, way more detailed than a lot of other shows.

If you get a chance to pick something like what's shown above up, go for it.
I would love to get them. Unfortunately, not living in Japan and not having an awesome friend there like August does, the only other choice would be to dive into the secondary market, i.e., the auction circuit. There are 2 obvious reasons why i don't do it. 1 - They end up costing as much as 2 or 3 volumes. 2 - Buying them there doesn't help fund the production. I'm sure they are worth every dime you put into buying them and, if i had the funds, though point 2 would still hold true, i would get them. Alas, for now, i must refrain and use the resourses i have elsewhere. Being such a collectible, i also doubt that any of them will be scaned and surface on the web.

Quote:
It will depend on context I suppose. Though unless something interesting happens, I doubt there will too many of us that see any of this until the end of February (much as we would like to see it before then).
Spoiler:
Old 2013-01-15, 18:37   Link #1432
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Spoiler for weird:
Old 2013-01-15, 19:16   Link #1433
macdawson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Rambo View Post
Spoiler for weird:
That didn't come up in the quick talk i had. But my guess is
Spoiler:

Last edited by macdawson; 2013-01-24 at 06:45.
Old 2013-01-15, 19:25   Link #1434
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Or they had just come off the end of one of their Wars with Mars and either feeling really confident in their upgraded ships, or felt they needed an enemy to keep the planetary population together (or their funding).

Though all we have seen are the Far Eastern Region's ships out of Japan. We've not yet seen any of the other UN ships. Though it is possible the designs are standardized for the whole of the UN Navy, I would doubt the naming would be entirely standardized on ships from the old JSDF or the IJN. Especially if naming practices are similar to today where one names a ship a certain way to get funding.
Old 2013-01-15, 20:15   Link #1435
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Or they had just come off the end of one of their Wars with Mars and either feeling really confident in their upgraded ships, or felt they needed an enemy to keep the planetary population together (or their funding).
Kinda reminds me with humanity after the Dilgar war, thinking they could make a big showy first contact with the Minbari. Though that was more of a case of mutual negligence leading to shots being fired, and a war starting. Mind, in this case it was the humans deciding to open fire right from the start.

All this DOES kinda put the earth leadership in a bad light...most of humanity has probably been fighting to the death under the belief that they're fighting an utterly alien and xenocidal opponent who won't take prisoners....one can't help but think of all those Okinawans who threw themselves to their deaths because of stories of how brutal the US Marines were. To a degree, there's a matter of trying to resist tyranny, but one can't help but think how potentially self serving democratic leaders who'd be willing to risk this much are. I can't help but imagine the corrupt democratic politicians from Legend of Galactic Heroes, who in the name of political ambition engaged in rather self destructive behavior for their nation.

Humanity in Yamato is more and more looking like the Japanese in World War 2...but it's a much more reflective look on the part of the creators I think.
Old 2013-01-15, 20:57   Link #1436
August138

If this is the case, perhaps it was General Serizawa who ordered the ships to open fire; and then proceeded to cover it up — leading to his rivalry with Admiral Okita, who overshadows him in "doing the right thing" during Operation K2. Then again, we've got to find out more about the backstory of the first war between Earth and the Martian colony...
Old 2013-01-15, 22:06   Link #1437
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

The original was created by men that grew up during or just after the Second Sino-Japanese War. The current production crew are of the generation after that. They grew up after the occupation and during the 60s and 70s. The two groups would definately have different views on Japan of the 1930s and 1940s. And by extension, view of both Germany and the United States of America (the two potental patterns for Gamilas). While they say there were not trying to use Germany as a model in the 1970s, this version it is very clear that Germany is a pattern...just by the naming of characters and a lot of the style involved in uniforms and space craft (particularly fighters).

Thus the producers feeling on what Yamato 2199's UN and various Earth governments will likely be reflected on their age rather than the age of the original's producers. There wasn't much said about Earth's government in the Yamato series aside from it being too sure of itself and not inclined to help others in Yamato II, and again possibly too sure of itself in Yamato III.
Old 2013-01-16, 00:30   Link #1438
August138

And sometimes a space battleship is merely a space battleship...
Old 2013-01-16, 01:33   Link #1439
durack

A few thoughts...

Never watched the original, but if a space opera is out there, count me in! Tried Space Pirates in Miniskirts but wasn't my cup of tea, and then thankfully found out about the Yamato remake which is just the kind of show that I like.

Kinda surprised that this show is so far relatively unnoticed by the english-speaking fandom since IMHO it can stand on its own even if you have no idea about the original. I wonder, though, if it may actually become a modest success in the West if you sell it not to anime fans but rather to the late 30s - early 40s crowd who grew up on Star Blazers.

Of note, a good discussion about space combat, thought it would be a fun read for readers of this thread

http://www.foreignpolicy.com/article...space?page=0,1
durack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-16, 04:08   Link #1440
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

According to the Yamato2199 twitter, they sold out of all the Limited Edition BD already at all 12 theaters.

Quote:
【劇場限定ブルーレイ】第4巻、新宿ピカデリーも完売となり、全12館での販売が終了いたしました。今回が 最速での完売で、皆様からのご支持がより熱を帯びてきたものとスタッフ一同、平身低頭・感謝です。今後とも 、変わらぬご愛顧、宜しくお願い申し上げます〔ギララ〕 #yamato2199
about 6 hours ago

Tags
classic, remake, science fiction, space opera, yamato