AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2011-04-04, 17:09   Link #1221
Who

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Dagger View Post
Both the warden and the champion can possible have a blood mage background, and they are still "fine".
In the warden's keep (one of the DLCs) I think some alchemist strengthened the abilities of a warden via blood research.

Is blood magic really that bad?
No. It's how you use it that made it gain such a bad rep. And negative press from the Chantry.
Who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-04, 17:10   Link #1222
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
Blood magic is supposed to be a grey area. By itself, it isn't evil. It's a weapon and a tool, just like any other magic. The Chantry forbids it because a blood mage has a much higher chance of becoming possessed than a mage who does not practice blood magic. Also, blood magic allows a mage to use mind control, which is strictly against the Maker's philosophy.

Blood magic as Merrill uses it is no worse than any other magic. She would never sacrifice anyone against their own will--there's a bit of dialogue between her and Fenris about people who were unwillingly used as fuel for blood magic during Fenris's personal quest. Merrill was clearly revolted and shocked when she discovered that such things happen.
Old 2011-04-04, 17:27   Link #1223
kujoe
from head to heel

If the user is misguided about it, then yes. If anything, DA2 has shown that mages who are unaware of the possible repurcussions of blood magic can cause a lot of problems for themselves and others—even with the best of intentions. Orsino turns a blind eye for the sake of his insane friend and 'keeping the peace' with the Templars, and even Merill herself realizes that she should've been more careful when it is already too late... Really, one just has to be smart and careful about it.

Like I said, it seems Hawke (plus Bethany) are the only reasonable folks when it comes to the whole issue of blood magic in Kirkwall—at least, from a player's point of view. Actually, that's not exactly true. Varric and Isabela really don't care about the issue with blood magic use and the political mess it gets embroiled in, (rather Isabela is against slavery itself, while Varric just knows when shit gets too serious). Even Anders, despite his views and his unique condition, understands that one should be cautious about blood magic. Heck, he doesn't like it at all.
kujoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-04, 17:38   Link #1224
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Anders is pretty much in hardcore denial of what he did and the implications until after that little even where he almost kills an innocent apprentice mage... (or does kill her depending on how Hawke handles him).
Old 2011-04-04, 17:44   Link #1225
kujoe
from head to heel

Was the whole merging with Justice a result of blood magic? I can't remember exactly...

I remember in my game, he was pretty scared about the whole incident, and was glad that Hawke stopped him.

I think, because of his unique condition, his perspective on the the subject of possession hits too close to home. From that, I can easily understand why despite fighting for mage freedoms, he's also pretty much against the use of blood magic, plus it also unfairly gives mages a bad reputation. Some mages misuse it, and the rest of society just ends fearing them as a whole. It's just not helpful with the cause he's going for.
Old 2011-04-04, 18:20   Link #1226
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

Spoiler for ending spoilers:

i think its best to stay cautious against mages at the same time giving them some freedom.
Old 2011-04-04, 18:53   Link #1227
kujoe
from head to heel

Most of the time, when a blood mage in DA says that he/she knows what he's/she's doing, they really don't. That's when you know circumstances and consequences are going to bite them in the ass later on.

But you know, I do hope that Avernus will one day get good and benificial results from that research of his.
Old 2011-04-04, 19:03   Link #1228
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

He does. Gaider said that Avernus's research alters the Joining, makes Wardens even more effective at combating darkspawn and demons and pushes back their inevitable corruption by ten to twenty years.

There's a small nod to this in DA2 if your Origins Warden chose to allow Avernus to continue his research, and Hawke gets a bonus--a potion that gives you two points to spend on your stats.
Old 2011-04-04, 19:26   Link #1229
kujoe
from head to heel

Oh, I got that. But this is the first time I've heard of the potion pushing back the Calling. That's good to hear.

Actually, I do remember one Grey Warden in particular who became completely immune from the degenerative effects of the taint. Fiona, I think is her name... it's revealed in one of the books. If I'm not mistaken, people have speculated that she may also be Alistair's mother.
Old 2011-04-04, 19:32   Link #1230
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Alistair's mother was one of King Maric's serving girls, lol...

And Fiona's an elf.
Old 2011-04-04, 19:34   Link #1231
kujoe
from head to heel

Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
Alistair's mother was one of King Maric's serving girls, lol...

And Fiona's an elf.
Perhaps..?

Spoiler for book revelation:

from Dragon Age wiki

Last edited by kujoe; 2011-04-04 at 19:53.
Old 2011-04-04, 19:36   Link #1232
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Now that's quite the revelation.

BetoJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-04, 19:36   Link #1233
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

That's some crazy speculation, lol. If you've seen the canon half-elves, they don't look human--remember Feynriel from DA2? He definitely looked elven, and his ears had a pretty obvious point to them.

Alistair looks fully human.
Old 2011-04-04, 19:40   Link #1234
Who

Well, based on the Warden's Keep DLC, Avernus somehow managed to prolong it way past 20 years, seeing as how Sophia Dryden is what's-his-face's great-grandmother. That and the rebellion was 2 centuries prior... so yeah. Maybe it was because Avernus was able to use blood magic to strength his potion?
Who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-04, 19:40   Link #1235
kujoe
from head to heel

How half-elves look like could be due to whatever physical traits were passed from one generation to the next. Also, it's not as if Alistair looks butt ugly after all.

Nothing has been confirmed so far, but the revelation has raised more than a few eyebrows.

But if you think about it... Duncan was a father figure to Alistair. Only this time, there might be more to it than just mere comradeship.
Old 2011-04-04, 19:41   Link #1236
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Avernus used blood magic to extend his life and push back the corruption, which is something well-established in canon. The Tevinter magisters did it often.

Blood magic theoretically should make possible healing beyond what can be accomplished with normal magic, and if you remember the deal with Quentin and your mom in DA2, it could possibly be used (one day) to raise the dead, and not as zombies, either.
Old 2011-04-04, 20:51   Link #1237
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

I'd do anything to save my own life or some one elses.
Old 2011-04-05, 00:15   Link #1238
Von Himmel
エーレンフェストの聖女

So Fiona is Alistair's...mother ? I'm still confused with their family... I mean, Alistair has a sister right? Is she also born from Maric or from another guy?

Von Himmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-05, 00:25   Link #1239
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Von Himmel View Post
So Fiona is Alistair's...mother ? I'm still confused with their family... I mean, Alistair has a sister right? Is she also born from Maric or from another guy?
It's a big "maybe." Fiona is an elf, Alistair and Goldanna are full blooded humans. Not much wiggle room there, really. But even if Fiona was Alistair's mom, it's possible that Goldanna is not really his sister at all and Goldanna's mother is the "fall woman" Maric used to hide Fiona's involvement...

*watches the Epileptic Trees start sprouting up from the ground...*
Old 2011-04-05, 00:29   Link #1240
kujoe
from head to heel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Von Himmel View Post
She's Alistair's half-sister... or supposedly his half-sister.

In other words, the perceived relation is that they share the same mother.

The Fiona part is not yet confirmed, but at this point a lot of people think of it as the 'Aria & Wrex' mystery of Dragon Age. In other words, almost enough information to confirm said speculation, but not enough to completely end the debate.

Tags
bioware, ps3, rpg, windows, xbox360