AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Old 2013-01-14, 19:30   Link #1
Fuzz237

Some Psychological animes..

I'm looking for some animes that are amazing in this genre, I've already seen Death note, Mirai nikki, Higurashi, Another, and Elfen lied. I'm hoping someone can give me a good suggestion thats similar to these animes? ^^
Fuzz237 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-14, 19:34   Link #2
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Psycho Pass!
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-14, 20:10   Link #3
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

http://forums.animesuki.com/tags.php?tag=psychological
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-14, 20:51   Link #4
Kotohono
Yuri µ'serator

Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica
Shin Sekai Yori
Steins;Gate
Revolutionary Girl Utena
Mawaru Penguindrum
Paranoia Agent

Also seconding Psycho Pass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
Plenty of series aren't properly tagged for here, and older suggestion threads miss many of the newer series to the genre for this case.
MAL
Kotohono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-14, 22:00   Link #5
kitten320

Aoi Bungaku Series - done by same studio as Death Note. It is a set of small stories that are based on actual Japanese novels. Each one has its own message.

To an extend I would say that Bungaku Shoujo is psychological because of what is happening.
There are 3 OVAs too. I would watch 1st and 3rd then a movie and after 2nd OVA.

Ga-Rei: Zero - to an extend for the main theme is "Will you kill the one you love because of love?"

On a lighthearted note GTO series could work well for every character out there has some kind of problem or trauma that needs to be dealt with.

Jigoku Shoujo arises a lot of questions. It makes you ask just like Death Note, is it fine to kill bad people?

Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica arises several interesting topics.

Mawaru Penguindrum is based on symbolism so lot's of thinking involved.

Monster - great detective series. Doctor Tenma had save a child once but years later learns that the child has turned into a serial killer whom no one has ever seen. To make it worse, Tenma himself is a suspect now. What does the culprit look like? What is his motive? What made him choose this path? Lots to think about and guess.

I would say that Phantom: Requiem for the Phantom is quiet psychological since a normal human was forced to choose a path of an assassin.

Rainbow: Nisha Rokubou no Shichinin - characters go through a lot both physically and mentally.

Shiki - by the end of the series you'll start to wonder just who is a real monster here?

Steins;Gate - shows you what a tiny change in time could do. Shows what are the consequences and is it worth the change.

From ongoing series Psycho-Pass are great series since it is all about how big is a potential of someone becoming a criminal.

Hope you'll find something to your liking.
Old 2013-01-15, 01:55   Link #6
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konakaga View Post
Plenty of series aren't properly tagged for here, and older suggestion threads miss many of the newer series to the genre for this case.
So what if they are older? I noticed Paranoia Agent in your list. I hardly think a Suggestions thread about psychological anime from 2010 is somehow irrelevant.

Also if you think a thread is improperly tagged, do us all a favor and delete the erroneous tag.

Surely you're not suggesting that Ghost Hound, Monster, Welcome to the NHK!, or Mouryou no Hako do not qualify just because they were all produced between 2006 and 2008. Hell, I'd even include Bakeneko and Mononoke in the list even though they are about a demon slayer. The demons themselves are all the products of warped human actions, and those actions are the real focus of the stories.

I'd argue all those series are a lot more "psychological" than Madoka.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-15, 09:11   Link #7
Zellami

In the line of the request examples, I would rather recommend the following:

Majin Tantei Nougami Neuro
Kara no Kyoukai
Black Rock Shooter
Umineko no Naku Koro ni
and Boogiepop Phathom

Strongs seconds for Jigoku Shoujo and Mouryou no Hako,

but, if you want to try more intense or abstract psychological series (or movies), you could possibly check out things like Perfect Blue, Trapeze, Kemonozume, or Kaiba [for example].
Zellami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-15, 09:38   Link #8
zarqu
Stüldt Hĺjt!

Kuuchuu Buranko (Trapeze) is about a psychologist and his patients. It's a trippy comedy.

I would give Shigurui and Texhnolyze a try. Both are very different and uncompromising from the get-go, so it's "easy" to drop them if they're not to your liking.
zarqu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-15, 10:52   Link #9
MisaoFan
Autistic NEET bath lover

I'm fourting Psycho-Pass : clearly one of the best psychological animes since 2 years, and I'm loving it since the first minute. Madoka Magica is another one.
Have your social attention be noticed in a genuinely positive light.
MyAnimeList
MisaoFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-15, 17:39   Link #10
Zellami

Quote:
Originally Posted by zarqu View Post
Kuuchuu Buranko (Trapeze) is about a psychologist and his patients. It's a trippy comedy.
Oh, mein Gott. For the record, and record alone, your source lists Trapeze as "psychological" in a third place, while Texhnolyze gets it in the fourth.
AniDB tags it directly with three "psychological" references, not to mention the other variations on the "subject". ANN ranks it (currently) 11-th in a cross genre search "comedy x psychological" [/ meh stops being anal].

You know, just because something is told funny strange and ha-ha, does not nullify its seriousness or psychological content. It is its bloody own charm and uniqueness!

Also, please, don't make ambiguous statements what is what, given that kono ore-sama made it as an extra suggestion.
Zellami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-16, 09:34   Link #11
zarqu
Stüldt Hĺjt!

I should've been more clear, then. I think Trapeze belongs in the psychological genre. I thought that was clear in the phrase: "Trapeze is about a pscyhologist and his patients." How could something like that not be psychological, as such. I really thought the meaning of the phrase was self-evident, but of course thinking like that in the internet is dangerous

("Trippy comedy" was not used in a derogatory sense in the slighest)

/communication obstacle

edit: I didn't even stop to think about the clarity of the words I used. If someone got the wrong idea I hope it's settled now

Last edited by zarqu; 2013-01-16 at 09:52.
zarqu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
psychological