AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Umineko

Notices

Old 2010-09-24, 01:12   Link #161
Poetic Justice
100Shots100Hits LuluLaLu

Don't think it's gonna be localized in the US to be honest, Unless one of those niche publishers wants the initial challenge of trying to sell visual novels in the US.
Old 2010-09-24, 01:38   Link #162
Kite22
Wielder of the Bracelet

Send a message via AIM to Kite22
Well ATLUS and NISA are all about selling niche titles! I mean ATLUS is practically the king of bringing over titles that would normally not make it over here.

Do remember to show your support on both forums! I know the NISA topic has more pages (though the ATLUS thread is about as active) but ATLUS reads their suggestions as well and I think it's better to try and get both of them looking at it, if only just to increase our chances by even just a small amount.
Kite22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-24, 01:46   Link #163
Poetic Justice
100Shots100Hits LuluLaLu

Visual novels are even more of a niche than what atlus and NISA usually publish, RPG's have an established audience, They're just catering to a niche segment of that audience. And bringing over an extremely unknown title for the PS3 with licensing fees and what not may be just beyond them i think, Hope not though.
Old 2010-09-24, 05:10   Link #164
Solachinx
is a myth

So, is the title Rondo of the Witch and Reasoning, or Ronde? Because I've seen both, and Rondo (a musical piece that presents two contrasting motifs throughout the piece) makes more sense than Ronde ("A kind of script in which the heavy strokes are nearly upright, giving the characters when taken together a round look").

So, symbolism, like Requiem of the Golden Witch, or random gibberish, like Kiri no Pithos?
Old 2010-09-24, 11:03   Link #165
Used Can

The game's title in Japanese is: うみねこのなく頃に~魔女と推理の輪舞曲~

輪舞曲 = Rondo
Old 2010-09-24, 12:33   Link #166
RamzaOwns
GUN道奥義 「賢者の舞」

推理 = Reasoning
魔女 = Witch
RamzaOwns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-24, 18:53   Link #167
Renall
BUY MY BOOK!!!

The movements in a rondo are called "episodes," interestingly enough. So it's actually sort of a sensible name to apply to a compilation of the first 4 episodes.
This story is a redacted confession.

Blog (VN DL) - YouTube Playlists
Battler Solves The Logic Error
Renall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-25, 15:04   Link #168
Witch of Uncertainty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Used Can View Post
Now, there's a mystery here. There's going to be a Umineko port for PS3, yet we all know that the PS3 has no games. Maybe they can be seen with love.
Many people do not count Visual/Sound novel as games, therefore it is possible to release it on the PS3.
Witch of Uncertainty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-25, 18:09   Link #169
Geekodot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witch of Uncertainty View Post
Many people do not count Visual/Sound novel as games, therefore it is possible to release it on the PS3.
Furthermore, other releases for the PS3 aren't games either. For example Metal Gear Solid 4 is a movie!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=juEkoLXXoxo
Geekodot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-25, 19:31   Link #170
Judoh
Mystery buff

I've been following the localization thread at NIS and I have to say I am a bit impressed on how quickly it grew.

I still have a few reasons to doubt that it will be announced as a title they'll release soon.
  1. NIS hasn't been doing well selling games lately, and while people are encouraging them to take the risk of bringing Umineko to the states I get the impression that risk taking is exactly what they don't want to do right now. Especially since the game in question hasn't even been out for very long in Japan and there is no real way to estimate how well it well sell in the states. Therefore I wouldn't expect them to take the suggestion seriously until the PS3 title has been out in Japan for at least a year to gauge whether it's worth looking into or not.
  2. They've only released one sound novel and that's something Disgea related. It was a really a nobrainer that they would license it when they were already selling other Disgea titles. So I don't think that's a good reason to suggest they pick up Umineko. Depending on certain things it could be exactly the reason they decide not to pick up Umineko.
  3. A lot of the posters in the NIS thread say they would "actually buy a PS3 if this game came out". It's not very encouraging for a company that primarily licenses Playstation titles to know that most of the fans for this game don't have the console they're games are released on. Add on to that that there is no guarantee they will actually have the money to buy one and they lose even more incentive.

I have a PS3 and I would be willing to buy this if it came out whatever the price. I do have my doubts, but I'm far from thinking they are obstacles that can't be beaten. I still encourage the effort. I just think it will take a lot more consistent effort than most of these posters think they'll need. I think it will be a long wait.
Judoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-25, 19:34   Link #171
Westlo
Lets be reality

If NIS do it I'll rather they wait for the episodes 5-8 disc and just bundle them together.. it's probably going to sell horrible so if they took a chance on 1-4 and it bombed than 5-8 would never come over.
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-25, 20:20   Link #172
Keriaku
Thought Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judoh View Post
I've been following the localization thread at NIS and I have to say I am a bit impressed on how quickly it grew.

I still have a few reasons to doubt that it will be announced as a title they'll release soon.
  1. NIS hasn't been doing well selling games lately, and while people are encouraging them to take the risk of bringing Umineko to the states I get the impression that risk taking is exactly what they don't want to do right now. Especially since the game in question hasn't even been out for very long in Japan and there is no real way to estimate how well it well sell in the states. Therefore I wouldn't expect them to take the suggestion seriously until the PS3 title has been out in Japan for at least a year to gauge whether it's worth looking into or not.
  2. They've only released one sound novel and that's something Disgea related. It was a really a nobrainer that they would license it when they were already selling other Disgea titles. So I don't think that's a good reason to suggest they pick up Umineko. Depending on certain things it could be exactly the reason they decide not to pick up Umineko.
  3. A lot of the posters in the NIS thread say they would "actually buy a PS3 if this game came out". It's not very encouraging for a company that primarily licenses Playstation titles to know that most of the fans for this game don't have the console they're games are released on. Add on to that that there is no guarantee they will actually have the money to buy one and they lose even more incentive.

I have a PS3 and I would be willing to buy this if it came out whatever the price. I do have my doubts, but I'm far from thinking they are obstacles that can't be beaten. I still encourage the effort. I just think it will take a lot more consistent effort than most of these posters think they'll need. I think it will be a long wait.
I feel like this is something that, if nothing else, this whole effort will be able to beat.

Umineko's gonna get advertising. I know myself alone, I'm planning on putting up some of those nice fliers a guy made, and handing them out at a convention this November.

EDIT: Everyone should join the Facebook support group:
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=117269321663650

Last edited by Keriaku; 2010-09-25 at 21:13. Reason: Extra info
Keriaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-25, 23:55   Link #173
Will Wright

I think that the term Rondo suits the series more, as I always saw the games as a waltz of logic between Battler and Beatrice.
Will Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-26, 14:23   Link #174
SonozakiUshiromiya
Reading your tale. :)

A bunch of fans are trying to get this game localized through NIS America. Please show your support. Check my sig for links to the NIS America forum page and the Facebook page.
Old 2010-09-26, 15:03   Link #175
sona-nyl
Actually an Alligator

Quote:

But the ones who aren't doing well is NIS japan, I haven't heard anything about NISA not doing well, if I'm wrong forgive me.
Old 2010-09-26, 17:23   Link #176
Witch of Uncertainty

Quote:

1. A lot of the posters in the NIS thread say they would "actually buy a PS3 if this game came out". It's not very encouraging for a company that primarily licenses Playstation titles to know that most of the fans for this game don't have the console they're games are released on. Add on to that that there is no guarantee they will actually have the money to buy one and they lose even more incentive.
That post actually made me think the same. Which is the reason I'm buying a PS3 tomorrow.
I'm gonna buy the japanese version, anyway(I don't know japanese!). My original plan was to just borrow my sister's, but I might aswell buy the PS3 myself. I tried to pre-order the game from Amazon, but they don't deliver here.. I hope i'll be able to import it..
Witch of Uncertainty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-27, 11:00   Link #177
winter 923

I did buy Disgaea 3 before even owning a PS3 just because i know NISA doesn't release too many copys and the price for a PS3 was still an insult for anyone in Europe. (excluding that island)

I'm not as optimistic as some of you so i'm going to import the japanese game. If for whatever reason NISA translate it i'm gona by it a second time, just for the props to translate the game but as i said i doubt they will do that.
Disgaea and lookalike games aren't known for a long and deep story. Yes they translated Disgaea Infinite and Sakura Wars but one was a given since it's a Disgaea spinoff and the other was a disappointment for NISA (saleswise) and this is way more a "game" then Umineko, not to mention that we europeans only got the wii version (english voiced) i think they'll back off from "visual novels"
Old 2010-09-27, 15:15   Link #178
k//eternal
do you know ベアトリーチェ様?

I dunno, there's a market for mysteries lately, what with stuff like Gyakuten Saiban, Hotel Dusk, and 999 making it over here. I think there's a better chance than you might think.

Don't give up, all!
k//eternal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-28, 05:13   Link #179
Poetic Justice
100Shots100Hits LuluLaLu

Quote:
Originally Posted by k//eternal View Post
I dunno, there's a market for mysteries lately, what with stuff like Gyakuten Saiban, Hotel Dusk, and 999 making it over here. I think there's a better chance than you might think.

Don't give up, all!
But those have actual gameplay.
Old 2010-09-29, 11:17   Link #180
kilika0

I see a lot of suggestions for NISA or Atlus to get involved in publishing an English version.
I'm not sure whether the following has also been suggested but I see them as far more viable than NISA or Atlus. This is merely on the assumption that Witch Hunt are willing for their translation to be used, and potentially to do further work if the script has been changed.

Alternative 1.
Similar to the recently announced co-operation between Mangagamer, NoNameLosers and Minori. A joint project between Mangagamer, Witch Hunt and Alchemist, to publish an English translation of the entire game over PSN.
Mangagamer's expertise is almost entirely in digital distribution, a much better idea for a niche product such as this, and even with their current poor sales they must have at least some profit margin to still be in business.
Potential drawbacks include inexperience with distribution of products over PSN, and cost of re-licensing the voices as an English release would technically be a separate product.

Alternative 2.
A joint project between Alchemist and Witch Hunt to release an English translation as DLC. The original game would still have to be purchased, this would hopefully not effect the voice contracts etc. Minimal effort involved from everyone (assuming the game engine was created in a sensible way) for maximum profit.
kilika0 is offline   Reply With Quote