AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga

Notices

Old 2017-06-06, 17:34   Link #2921
Twi

Doesn't it also stockpile the powers of others. All you need is just one or two with superhuman strength to join the fold and there you go.
Old 2017-06-06, 18:30   Link #2922
ChronoReverse

Or maybe it continuously stockpiles strength. Even the first bearer of OFA had stronger strength than baseline human after all.

If true, that would imply that the power can run out although with 8 previous bearers of OFA, it's not going to run out any time soon (even All Might isn't exerting power non-stop and he probably made the most prolific use of it).

I don't see any evidence for how it works though so we can only conjecture until more information is provided.
ChronoReverse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-06-06, 18:32   Link #2923
LevelSeven

^^than OFA should have more quirks than just superstrength
LevelSeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-06-06, 19:22   Link #2924
Darius Drake

Quote:
Originally Posted by LevelSeven View Post
deku is the 9th, AM was 8, nana was 7th,

so AM should have been 8 times stronger than a supertrained person,

i can only think of 2 possibilitys:

1. the author didnt really think this stuff through,

2. the power is multiplied, basically, 1 person strength is 2 persons strength at the second "generation", than 4 times at the third person, than 8 and etc,

basically with AM the strength would be by 128 times the strength of a normal person, and deku should than be at 256 times...

but i dont like that option :/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twi View Post
Doesn't it also stockpile the powers of others. All you need is just one or two with superhuman strength to join the fold and there you go.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChronoReverse View Post
Or maybe it continuously stockpiles strength. Even the first bearer of OFA had stronger strength than baseline human after all.

If true, that would imply that the power can run out although with 8 previous bearers of OFA, it's not going to run out any time soon (even All Might isn't exerting power non-stop and he probably made the most prolific use of it).

I don't see any evidence for how it works though so we can only conjecture until more information is provided.
Quote:
^^than OFA should have more quirks than just superstrength
The Quirks of OFA, from my understanding, is a combination of "Power Multiplication" & "Growing Inheritance". Basically, whatever Quirk the inheritor has, has it's base power multiplied (if possible), and if the inheritor doesn't have a empower-able quirk, then it empower's the inheritor's muscles. That's the "active" part of the quirk that gives Deku & All Might their Super Strength.

Additionally, the quirk itself grows through use, training & transference. Basically, it's buffing power is not "No. Of Past Users x User's Starting Limits" but more like "Original Power + No. Of Past Users x Past Development of User's Quirks x User's Starting Limits". Well, that's how I see it, anyway. Oh, and, while it doesn't pass on Quirks (because doing so would require major transformations of the body that the power cannot replicate), it's possible that part of Strength Quirks could have a greater impact on the inherited power due to the similarities between the Quirk that mixed with Growing Inheritance to create OFA.

Edit Add: I most certainly did not use the in-comic names of the two quirks that combined, instead using a rough nickname that explained their basic power. The given names of the two quirks might help prove or disprove my interpretation, but I can't go check them right at the moment. Just a FYI.

Last edited by Darius Drake; 2017-06-06 at 21:34.
Darius Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-06-07, 05:42   Link #2925
dragon1412

Theory wise, I personally think that OFA by nature, is a form of generator with multiplier factor, Instead being growing their own muscles, OFA multiply the strength of the user using some form of power sources - in our case, the power sources is the strength of the previous carrier. This way was possible to explain how OFA can output power greatly exceed the carrier muscle mass(Deku). So depend on power sources, the multipliers factors that each individual carrier can give to OFA is different.

OFA obviously cannot be a strength stockpiling quirk, since by actual number, a person who is supposed to have around 5 times strength of an average adult man can only lift a small at most. And this person is going to kill himself without muscles durability, reflex, ...etc 5 times of normal man, if Deku is assuming, carry 9 people worth of strength, 1 single full power would torn of his entire muscle system. And OFA clearly far exceed 9 peoples worth of strength, seeing how it could easily tore open an entire building in the fight with Bakugou.
dragon1412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-06-07, 12:24   Link #2926
ChronoReverse

If it's continuously stockpiling and doesn't involve muscles then there's a way it can work:

Inspired by the Mistborn feruchemical system, my idea is that basically strength is saved over time and can be utilized within a shorter time to increase the force. So if you can exert 200 pounds of continuous force over 10 seconds then if it were stored and utilized over 5 seconds, then you'd have 400 pounds of force.

Continuously storing strength over 9 lifetimes and explosively using the force in <0.1 second bursts while bypassing muscles (it's the kickback that does damage) seems in line with what we see. There might be limits to how much strength can be condensed as well as how short a period of time it can be condensed into.
Old 2017-06-07, 14:34   Link #2927
LevelSeven

^but how than someone get "used" to it? afterall a body does only have a certain level it can reach, no matter how much one trains it would be impossible becoming able to spam that strength without hurting ones own body (basically AM would be impossible)
Old 2017-06-07, 15:54   Link #2928
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon1412 View Post
Theory wise, I personally think that OFA by nature, is a form of generator with multiplier factor, Instead being growing their own muscles, OFA multiply the strength of the user using some form of power sources - in our case, the power sources is the strength of the previous carrier. This way was possible to explain how OFA can output power greatly exceed the carrier muscle mass(Deku). So depend on power sources, the multipliers factors that each individual carrier can give to OFA is different.

OFA obviously cannot be a strength stockpiling quirk, since by actual number, a person who is supposed to have around 5 times strength of an average adult man can only lift a small at most. And this person is going to kill himself without muscles durability, reflex, ...etc 5 times of normal man, if Deku is assuming, carry 9 people worth of strength, 1 single full power would torn of his entire muscle system. And OFA clearly far exceed 9 peoples worth of strength, seeing how it could easily tore open an entire building in the fight with Bakugou.
Eh... Rather than saying someone that strong would kill themselves, I'd say it's weirder that Deku gets hurt at all. Superpowers usually come with whatever's necessary to make them work. Bakugo didn't blow up his own hands, Endeavor doesn't burn himself whenever he lights up his mustache, his son doesn't get frostbitten and so on. Normally someone with Deku's superstrength would also have the superdurability necessary to use it. And he does... when he figures out how to use his own damn power.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-06-07, 16:24   Link #2929
ChronoReverse

Quote:
^but how than someone get "used" to it? afterall a body does only have a certain level it can reach, no matter how much one trains it would be impossible becoming able to spam that strength without hurting ones own body (basically AM would be impossible)
I would presume it's part of the secondary effect that lets the power be unleashed without muscles. All I'm doing is assuming "quirk that stockpiles power" is accurate (and an accurate translation).

I do think that Deku simply needs to learn to use the part of OFA that lets you endure its power. In the meantime, maybe he could unleash 100% but use 50% of it to cancel out the opposite force on his limbs. Being able to use 50% of OFA without any drawback would be amazing when coupled with his analysis.

Last edited by ChronoReverse; 2017-06-07 at 18:35.
Old 2017-06-07, 19:21   Link #2930
Darius Drake

Quote:
If it's continuously stockpiling and doesn't involve muscles then there's a way it can work:

Inspired by the Mistborn feruchemical system, my idea is that basically strength is saved over time and can be utilized within a shorter time to increase the force. So if you can exert 200 pounds of continuous force over 10 seconds then if it were stored and utilized over 5 seconds, then you'd have 400 pounds of force.

Continuously storing strength over 9 lifetimes and explosively using the force in <0.1 second bursts while bypassing muscles (it's the kickback that does damage) seems in line with what we see. There might be limits to how much strength can be condensed as well as how short a period of time it can be condensed into.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Eh... Rather than saying someone that strong would kill themselves, I'd say it's weirder that Deku gets hurt at all. Superpowers usually come with whatever's necessary to make them work. Bakugo didn't blow up his own hands, Endeavor doesn't burn himself whenever he lights up his mustache, his son doesn't get frostbitten and so on. Normally someone with Deku's superstrength would also have the superdurability necessary to use it. And he does... when he figures out how to use his own damn power.
Quote:
I would presume it's part of the secondary effect that lets the power be unleashed without muscles. All I'm doing is assuming "quirk that stockpiles power" is accurate (and an accurate translation).

I do think that Deku simply needs to learn to use the part of OFA that lets you endure its power. In the meantime, maybe he could unleash 100% but use 50% of it to cancel out the opposite force on his limbs. Being able to use 50% of OFA without any drawback would be amazing when coupled with his analysis.
Actually, in this there's actually limits on your resistance. Bakugo might not blow up his hands, but continuous use does damage them. Endeavour might not burn himself by lighting up his mustache, but if he tries to imitate "The Human Torch of the Fantastic Four", he's probably going to burn himself, particularly if he tries to use his powers to fly. Tokoroki has been frostbitten by his powers before, and the reason his father wanted a child who had both Fire & Ice Powers is so that they can actively maintain their own temperature and thus avoid the downsides of either power. Add to that the Quirks are known to be able to be empowered by training, and the user's resistance is likely able to also be empowered by training, you can see that there's individual growth.

How this relates to OFA is, assuming that ChronoReverse is correct (I disagree, but their explanation does make sense), the reason and solution for Deku's "Recoil" problems is that he, honestly, just needs to train himself more. The more he trains himself, the higher his resistance to the backlash would grow, and the more of the full power can be utilized.

Oh, and, in relation to my disagreement, my reasoning is that previously stockpiled power can be used up, and OFA hasn't shown any evidence of that being possible at any point in time. Additionally, that would likely mean that All Might, after handing his power over to Deku, should have completely lost all the historically stored power, meaning that he wouldn't be able to utilize it any more, which can be seen isn't the case.
Darius Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-06-08, 03:34   Link #2931
Random14

Sounds like no MHA this week, due to Horikoshi's sudden illness (according to ANN). I hope he's careful with his health, this just happened in March too. Its a good time for MHA with the anime second season going (and its an awesome adaptation), but his health is the more important thing. Just hope he's not pushing himself too hard.
Random14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-06-08, 08:58   Link #2932
Sixth
Hu Tao

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random14 View Post
Sounds like no MHA this week, due to Horikoshi's sudden illness (according to ANN). I hope he's careful with his health, this just happened in March too. Its a good time for MHA with the anime second season going (and its an awesome adaptation), but his health is the more important thing. Just hope he's not pushing himself too hard.
I see, no wonder I can't find the raw for this week chapter...heck, no even a spoilar line.
Sixth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-06-08, 11:27   Link #2933
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

That's a real shame, but health comes first.
Old 2017-06-08, 23:16   Link #2934
marvelB

No chapter this week, eh? Well, it can't be helped, if the author's sick. At the very least, I wish the best for Horikoshi!
marvelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-06-09, 01:35   Link #2935
LevelSeven

lets hope this wont go the WT route with the manga starting to become really popular and than the author gets ill more frequently until we get a undefined hiatus
Old 2017-06-10, 23:21   Link #2936
Xiammes

Quote:
deku is the 9th, AM was 8, nana was 7th,

so AM should have been 8 times stronger than a supertrained person,

i can only think of 2 possibilitys:

1. the author didnt really think this stuff through,

2. the power is multiplied, basically, 1 person strength is 2 persons strength at the second "generation", than 4 times at the third person, than 8 and etc,

basically with AM the strength would be by 128 times the strength of a normal person, and deku should than be at 256 times...

but i dont like that option :/
I there there is some kind of exponential effect. To master the power of OFA, you need a physically strong body, the more powerful OFA is the stronger you need to be. I can imagine the requirements were much lower for Nana and probably non existent for people of previous generations.

OFA probably wasn't all that strong till the 5th or 6th generation.
Old 2017-06-11, 01:32   Link #2937
Ultragunner

hence my question

If AM could master OFA like we saw, that means he was already very VERY tough and strong to begin with?
Old 2017-06-15, 06:57   Link #2938
Sixth
Hu Tao

Eng chapter 141 is out.

It is a great chapter. "Sasuke" is so powerful at here. Although I don't understand how and what he did to beat the Crystal guy though.
Sixth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-06-15, 11:54   Link #2939
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Suneater proved to be a real powerhouse. He wasn't bluffing when he said he was enough to take down the three of them.

Interesting that these villains don't seem all that bad. They were just unjustly rejected by society.
Old 2017-06-15, 14:03   Link #2940
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Bit of TerraFormars chapter there. Sun Eater should start eating insects.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, coming of age, great supporting cast, shounen, superhero, unique art/plot