Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2014-02-23, 07:47   Link #1
Jazzrat
Bearly Legal

Twitch Plays Pokemon

http://www.twitch.tv/twitchplayspokemon

Japan gets PS4, Titanfall coming soon but the media and the internet is fascinated with an internet viral where tens of thousands of people are trying to play a single game of Pokemon through Twitch by entering commands via chat at the same time. Due to the volume of commands entered, watching the game can be painfully frustrating as the player character move about spastically while checking his inventory and saving the game incessantly. Simple game features quickly became death traps and puts progress into a grind halt as the internet fumbles with commands that requires little precision to it.

In order to help the game progress, the anonymous programmer that started this added a mode that allow players to toggle between the original mode that accepts every command that it can (termed Anarchy) and an alternate mode that accepts command that the majority have choosen (termed Democracy) via voting in chat. This quickly split the community in half with those who believe in maintaining the original spirit of the game and the trolls favoring Anarchy mode and those who wanted progress in Democracy mode. But despite the chaos and politicking that occurs, the internet have manage to progress through the game albeit at a snail's pace with volunteers keeping track of progress

Pokemon Red Daily Recap
Pokemon Red final sav backup

Some of you might be sick and tired of this due to the amount of attentions it has garnered. The amount of meme, fanart, arguement and faux religion that have sprung out of this social experiment is obnoxiously staggering but behind all that is a beautiful event of a virtual society created, segregated and evolve in real time. At the end of it all, it might be nothing but a flash in a pan as many other virals that the internet have created but nevertheless, it's a fascinating thing to watch.

Update2:
TPP continues onward with Pokemon Crystal after beating Pokemon Red. The mechanic remain the same with one major exception that Democracy mode will automatically kick in every hour to avoid mode spam throughout the gameplay.

For all your info need, check the following link for
Twitter
Reddit Live Update
Total Progress on Google Doc
Pokemon Crystal Daily Recap

Last edited by Jazzrat; 2014-03-02 at 13:01.
Jazzrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-23, 07:52   Link #2
kampfer91
Master Eugenist

Where can i see their progress , other than Twitch ?

Btw , hail the Helix , long live Bird jesus .
kampfer91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-23, 07:57   Link #3
Terrestrial Dream
勇者

http://www.reddit.com/r/twitchplayspokemon

Anyhow, this thing is fascinating.
Old 2014-02-23, 08:00   Link #4
Jazzrat
Bearly Legal

Quote:
Originally Posted by kampfer91 View Post
Where can i see their progress , other than Twitch ?

Btw , hail the Helix , long live Bird jesus .
Use the google doc for summary of their progress.
Old 2014-02-23, 08:09   Link #5
iceyfw

wow. zapdos got caught while on anarchy mode LOL. the internet continues to surprise me.
iceyfw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-23, 08:10   Link #6
Terrestrial Dream
勇者

They are struggling like crazy trying to all Pokemons back.
Old 2014-02-23, 08:14   Link #7
kampfer91
Master Eugenist

I was expecting hell during the Safari trip , but the Anarchy backed down during that day so that everyone can pass the safari 's 500 steps challenge .

Booo....
Old 2014-02-23, 08:56   Link #8
Awrya
U mad?

Reading through summaries, so surprised that the master ball wasn't used for a random lv.2 Pidgey.
Since they got Zapdos, I doubt they'd be able to catch any other legendaries in anarchy mode, but we'll see.
Old 2014-02-23, 09:00   Link #9
Jaden

Reminds me of this: http://vimeo.com/78043173
Old 2014-02-23, 09:18   Link #10
kampfer91
Master Eugenist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awrya View Post
Reading through summaries, so surprised that the master ball wasn't used for a random lv.2 Pidgey.
Since they got Zapdos, I doubt they'd be able to catch any other legendaries in anarchy mode, but we'll see.
Or the the false prophet will rise again with the Moltred ?
Old 2014-02-23, 10:16   Link #11
Jazzrat
Bearly Legal

Added a link to tvtropes day to day recap of TPP's progress for those who needs a timelined progress.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Recap/TwitchPlaysPokemon

The whole thing is kinda crazy right now with the community trying to retrieve their top pokemon from the PC after accidently depositing all of them when they tried to retrieve Zapdos.

If they accidently release Bird Jesus (their highest level pokemon), Zapdos is probably going to be named the 2nd false prophet XD.
Old 2014-02-23, 12:30   Link #12
Rizare

I followed this after quite a while. This was amusing, but democracy made this somewhat boring. The fun was how much progress could be made with only anarchy.
Rizare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-23, 12:34   Link #13
Shadow5YA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizare View Post
The fun was how much progress could be made with only anarchy.
It's not fun watching twelve straight hours of them trying to get past the ledges to get to Rock Tunnel.

Don't forget that the game has been running for 10 days. Not every minute (or even hour) will be entertaining.
Shadow5YA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-23, 14:31   Link #14
Rizare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow5YA View Post
It's not fun watching twelve straight hours of them trying to get past the ledges to get to Rock Tunnel.

Don't forget that the game has been running for 10 days. Not every minute (or even hour) will be entertaining.

Of course, not every minute will be entertaining. To see the chat being able to go through this despite the odds is what make this fun. The main attraction isn't to beat the game, otherwise I could simply play the game myself and be done with it quickly. The chat even managed to get through the ledge quicker yesterday (and then threw the efforts by going down).

Apparently, democracy was manipulated by someone in order to release Pidgeot and other important Pokemons during the night. It is sad that someone seeks to purposely ruin the game.
Old 2014-02-23, 14:45   Link #15
Jaden

Really? I think the Democracy option would be rather boring, if there was no risk of a 4chan flashmob coming in to slay Bird Jesus.

Also what's this "night" you are talking about?
Old 2014-02-23, 15:01   Link #16
Jazzrat
Bearly Legal

Another streamer tried to get his fans to troll the game by switching to Democracy mode and mass voting it to kill 'Bird Jesus' their highest level pokemon. The native players realized this and voted for Anarchy to prevent them from their objective even those who were pro-Democracy mode players. Whether it was for publicity or ego, he failed and promptly got his own website DDOSed whether by others or just from the sudden influx of attention.

It's quite interesting to see players put their difference aside when faced with an outsider threat. As for other outside forces, 4ch, gaf, somethingawful and reddits users are all coordinating already with the typical rivalry that exist with the whole internet tribalism. 4ch are mostly pro anarchy as it coincides it's own idealogy and reddit is pretty big in the democracy camp.
Old 2014-02-23, 17:39   Link #17
Shadow5YA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizare View Post
Of course, not every minute will be entertaining. To see the chat being able to go through this despite the odds is what make this fun. The main attraction isn't to beat the game, otherwise I could simply play the game myself and be done with it quickly. The chat even managed to get through the ledge quicker yesterday (and then threw the efforts by going down).

Apparently, democracy was manipulated by someone in order to release Pidgeot and other important Pokemons during the night. It is sad that someone seeks to purposely ruin the game.
Plenty of people in the chat are there expressly to ruin the game. How many times do you think people said "down" as they were trying to get through the ledges? Or said Start9 during democracy mode?
Shadow5YA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-23, 19:42   Link #18
Rizare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow5YA View Post
Plenty of people in the chat are there expressly to ruin the game. How many times do you think people said "down" as they were trying to get through the ledges? Or said Start9 during democracy mode?
It is true that there are trolls who will try to ruin the game. However, this can also be explained because of the delay. They don't account for it and they end up in a situation like the picture. If there wasn't any delay, it would have been much easier to manage this.

Spoiler for Big picture:

As for start9, this is probably from people who actually don't want democracy and prefer anarchy. I don't have much to say.
Old 2014-02-24, 01:52   Link #19
Terrestrial Dream
勇者

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzrat View Post
Another streamer tried to get his fans to troll the game by switching to Democracy mode and mass voting it to kill 'Bird Jesus' their highest level pokemon. The native players realized this and voted for Anarchy to prevent them from their objective even those who were pro-Democracy mode players. Whether it was for publicity or ego, he failed and promptly got his own website DDOSed whether by others or just from the sudden influx of attention.

It's quite interesting to see players put their difference aside when faced with an outsider threat. As for other outside forces, 4ch, gaf, somethingawful and reddits users are all coordinating already with the typical rivalry that exist with the whole internet tribalism. 4ch are mostly pro anarchy as it coincides it's own idealogy and reddit is pretty big in the democracy camp.
I think that was Destiny, he streams Starcraft and use to stream LoL.

For me, Reddit is split between Democracy and Anarchy, but majority siding with Anarchy.

Well, they finally got Jesus Bird and Zapods in one party. I think now they have a team that can eventually take out the Elite 4.
Old 2014-02-24, 08:57   Link #20
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

WE MANAGE TO REVIVE LORD HELIX. WITH 2 JESUS AND A KING. NOTHING CAN STOP US NOW

RRW is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
twitch