AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2012-01-15, 23:04   Link #21
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
...Crow noises generally signify an "idiot" moment because the sound of a crow sounds a bit like "ba-ka" or "a-ho" to Japanese.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rethice View Post
aaa-hooo..
This.

Or rather ... these.
Old 2012-01-15, 23:08   Link #22
Undertaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonQuigleone View Post
Weird, no crickets here in Dublin.
Dublin is a city, also might be a bit too north for crickets to live. Actually, I'm surprise that UK has crickets I always thought cricket are more of tropical bugs though not as extreme as say cicada or fireflies.
Old 2012-01-15, 23:21   Link #23
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertaker View Post
Dublin is a city, also might be a bit too north for crickets to live. Actually, I'm surprise that UK has crickets I always thought cricket are more of tropical bugs though not as extreme as say cicada or fireflies.
I live a little ways out in the suburbs, never heard a cricket till I visited the USA. I've never really been to the UK much though.

It's a funny difference. Likewise the fact we have no snakes, which throws people when they think it was one of those stupid myths. The whole St. Patricks thing is a myth, but Ireland nevertheless has no snakes.
DonQuigleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-16, 10:01   Link #24
itamshredding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drob_QB7 View Post
Funny enough I was thinking about that too how at the beggining (sp) of episodes there is always the bird noises.
Same here. But it made it unique.

--------------------------------------
Hard drive shredding
Hard drive destruction

Last edited by itamshredding; 2012-01-26 at 04:01.
itamshredding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-16, 10:27   Link #25
hyl
reading #hikaributts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertaker View Post
I heard crickets when i was in the Netherlands (a small country in Western Europe with a sea climate) during summer. And i wasn't even in the country side, but at a small city (eventhough not in the centre, with less buildings).
So i don't think crickets only live in tropical locations though.
hyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-16, 13:01   Link #26
Larthak
♪ ~ ♫
*Artist

Send a message via ICQ to Larthak Send a message via MSN to Larthak
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyl View Post
I heard crickets when i was in the Netherlands (a small country in Western Europe with a sea climate) during summer. And i wasn't even in the country side, but at a small city (eventhough not in the centre, with less buildings).
So i don't think crickets only live in tropical locations though.
Of course they don't.

We've got a lot of them over here too (central Europe). They're nothing rare.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rethice View Post
aaa-hooo..
God damn it. Now I can't get rid of that sound in my head.

...ignore my signature, that's totally NOT an ahoge there. Nope. Move on.

Hey! S-stop staring at it, I'm not a fool! I'm not! D:
*runs away screaming*
Old 2012-01-16, 13:12   Link #27
Undertaker

Speaking of crickets, anyone here ever seem cricket fights live?
Old 2012-01-16, 13:38   Link #28
Dhomochevsky
temporary safeguard

They fight?
Aren't they swarm animals?

Or did you mean the mysterious sport of "cricket"? In that case, I personally don't believe it exists. It must be a fantasy sport like Quidditch.
Dhomochevsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-16, 15:04   Link #29
Undertaker

No I'm referring to the cricket fights that Chinese likes to make them do. Basically like cockfight or dog fights, except it's between crickets not dogs nor roosters.
Old 2012-01-16, 16:08   Link #30
Hippo
Careful now.

There are crickets in the UK, I hear them a lot in the summer but you need to be in an area with a lot of long grass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonQuigleone View Post
I still stand by the whole "pillow scene" thing. You often see these seemingly pointless interludes between two scenes, where it's just the skyline and the cicadas "singing". It helps set the mood, and give a breather. It doesn't have a direct counterpart in western cinema.
Yep- dripping taps, afternoon light shining through a window, traffic lights changing colour, a clacking sozu. Frankly it would feel weird watching an anime without these tropes Sometimes they can be a little overdone though... I love Kare Kano for example, but they use the same few shots over and over and over again throughout the whole series I'm sure there are plenty that do, but that one seems to stand out as one that really overdoes it.
Old 2012-01-16, 17:01   Link #31
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hippo View Post

Yep- dripping taps, afternoon light shining through a window, traffic lights changing colour, a clacking sozu. Frankly it would feel weird watching an anime without these tropes Sometimes they can be a little overdone though... I love Kare Kano for example, but they use the same few shots over and over and over again throughout the whole series I'm sure there are plenty that do, but that one seems to stand out as one that really overdoes it.
If you watch the first episode of "Daily Lives of High School Boys", every single substory begins with a shot or two of the outside, with cicadas or something in the background.

Likewise, if you look at the skit where they talk about trying on girl's skirts, between them going off to the individual rooms, and them coming back out again (with the skirts on...) there's another intervening shot, with the wind blowing the curtains, between the two. You can see it at 9:56 or so. In fact that show uses that whole "establishing shot" all the time. It's very common in Anime, particularly comedies.

Compare that to US sitcoms. The only thing they do that's similiar is that they might show a shot at the very beginning to establish the locale, eg Friends usually opened on a shot of the outside of their apartment complex, or Central Perk. Usually not many intervening shots.

It's basically a kind of Punctuation that's very common in Anime. It's all rather interesting, I find.
DonQuigleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-16, 18:24   Link #32
Kameruka
Hen-Tie

In Japanese schools, windows are on the left-hand side of the building while the doors are on the right-hand side. Very similar to those in my country.
Kameruka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-16, 20:16   Link #33
Shinji01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hippo View Post
There are crickets in the UK, I hear them a lot in the summer but you need to be in an area with a lot of long grass.

You post reminded me of evangelion.
Eva is a good example of anime that relies heavily on symbolic story telling.
I especially like the "unfamiliar ceiling" that they use.

I think Anime is especially rich in symbolic storytelling because you can really enhance the sound or visual compared to live action and not make it look too abrupt.
Shinji01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-17, 19:28   Link #34
NeoChan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qikz View Post
Same goes for Crickets.
If Cicadas for is for daytime, then Crickets for night time. They put emphasis that a particular night is "freaking quite" that the only sounds you can hear are them and your footsteps.
NeoChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-20, 08:21   Link #35
Shinji01

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoChan View Post
If Cicadas for is for daytime, then Crickets for night time. They put emphasis that a particular night is "freaking quite" that the only sounds you can hear are them and your footsteps.
Yep, but specifically for summer

This is why I hate summer in Japan...To many insects!
Shinji01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-01, 12:37   Link #36
winterbaby
вelιnda

Its probably sound effects so the viewers don't get bored. Also is probably a way for the viewers to know that the setting is Japan, since there is a large population of crows in Japan.