AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2013-11-14, 04:23   Link #1
Guernsey
The GAP Man

Send a message via AIM to Guernsey Send a message via MSN to Guernsey Send a message via Yahoo to Guernsey
Absurdism, Surrealism and Anime

While it is hardly limited to only anime and manga, I noticed that some of their shows use a lot of absurdist reasoning. I might be misinterpreting some things but I noticed that they deliberately use weird and even completely strange elements to get their points across. FLCL is about one of the best Slice of Life stories you can find, the Monogatari series are also about growing up and life in general, TTGL is all about responsibility, Madoka is about hope and Abenogashi Shopping Arcade is about growing up. These are just a few of many anime that use these elements but I notice that they use a lot of surrealist, absurdist humor to get their points across. Did anyone else notice this? Westerners often use these elements for humor and not much else whereas some Japanese authors use these same elements to get their points across. I might be looking at them but that is what I noticed with anime like FLCL, they wouldn't look out of place in a Looney Tunes cartoon and you need to watch them again in order to 'get' the theme or lesson. Here are some Wikipedia links on the subject:

Absurdism

Surrealism

I might be looking at theme the wrong way but that is what I had noticed about some anime.
Old 2013-11-14, 04:49   Link #2
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Flcl ? Ttgl ?
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-14, 10:23   Link #3
CrowKenobi
One PUNCH!
*Administrator

FLCL (aka Fooly Cooly) and Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann.
CrowKenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-14, 12:05   Link #4
GDiddy
Sisterhood of the Desu

Kill la Kill and Kyousogaiga.
Old 2013-11-14, 12:23   Link #5
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
Absurdist and surrealistic humor I can certainly grok, although there are not many individuals or series who are able to pull it off consistently.

Absurdist reasoning is not quite as effective for me personally - unless it is linked to humor. Surrealist reasoning doesnn't really work for me either, to be honest.

The currently airing Kyousogiga is an good example of these two elements used effectively, I think - at least they are so for me.
Old 2013-11-14, 13:36   Link #6
4Tran

I guess it depends on what you're familiar with, but there's tons of Western works who use absurdism and surrealism to build their themes. They're obviously super common in avant garde films, but they show up in mainstream stuff as well - directors like Lynch, Verhoeven and Cronenberg employ them all the time. Heck, you can even see elements of this in Zack Snyder's work.

As for anime, I'm pretty sure that absurdism and surrealism are used in much the same way as they are in live-action. The main difference is that it's easier to use exaggeration and still be able to maintain the tone of the work. I'd argue that well made live-action executes these techniques better than anime does, but that's sort of par for course. Film is a very established medium, and even if the end product isn't very good, the execution of techniques is often still excellent.
Old 2013-11-14, 14:34   Link #7
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Tran View Post
I guess it depends on what you're familiar with, but there's tons of Western works who use absurdism and surrealism to build their themes. They're obviously super common in avant garde films, but they show up in mainstream stuff as well - directors like Lynch, Verhoeven and Cronenberg employ them all the time. Heck, you can even see elements of this in Zack Snyder's work.

As for anime, I'm pretty sure that absurdism and surrealism are used in much the same way as they are in live-action. The main difference is that it's easier to use exaggeration and still be able to maintain the tone of the work. I'd argue that well made live-action executes these techniques better than anime does, but that's sort of par for course. Film is a very established medium, and even if the end product isn't very good, the execution of techniques is often still excellent.
To be honest I was primarily thinking of "Comic strips" in the sense of humor - stuff like The Far Side, Non Sequitur, etc.

But yeah - it is also quite effective in the film industry ... or even in the earlier decades of Western animation. If you look at some of the early American animation they have totally surreal artistic styles being used.
Old 2013-11-14, 15:57   Link #8
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Absurdism seems pretty characteristic of all of Nakashima Kazuki's scripts. Along with TTGL and Kill la Kill, Oh! Edo Rocket has a lot of absurdist features. Rocket began life as a stage play performed on largely a bare stage, much like the plays of Ionesco and Beckett.

The entire premise is absurd, given that it is set in the 1840s but the characters have Internet blogs and watch TV. In the anime, the characters often break the fourth wall and speak directly to the audience. At one point one character objects that another character is "not on the website." Nevertheless the show itself is a satirical examination of political repression as practiced by the Shogunate at the time. The implications for modern Japanese culture are pretty obvious. Those themes are continued in Kill la Kill with its emphasis on uniforms, regimentation, and fascism. After all, the very first scene of that show takes place in a classroom where the teacher is discussing Hitler.

Last edited by SeijiSensei; 2013-11-14 at 16:27.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-14, 18:06   Link #9
Guernsey
The GAP Man

Send a message via AIM to Guernsey Send a message via MSN to Guernsey Send a message via Yahoo to Guernsey
It seems as those some of those worlds are satires on something. Satoshi Kon's Paranoia agent is also another satire on Japanese society as well as animation in general.
Old 2013-11-14, 19:00   Link #10
erneiz_hyde
18782+18782=37564

One Piece is a good example of this I think. I've always thought the things going on in there as absurd and surreal even by shounen standards.

However, when you think surreal, you can't go without mentioning King of Bandit Jing, or more like King of Surrealism.
Old 2013-11-21, 04:51   Link #11
Qilin
Romanticist

Madoka is the anime that I would instantly associate with Absurdism.

It's part of the reason why the show had such a strong effect on me personally.
Old 2013-11-21, 16:27   Link #12
GreyZone
"Senior" "Member"

maybe... Hellsing? Not sure if I understood the definition correctly. (For "Comic strips in the sense of humor" there are those purposely badly drawn scenes with Seras)
Old 2013-11-29, 09:17   Link #13
Guernsey
The GAP Man

This maybe just me but I have real trouble with surrealist anime especially those made by Gainax. FLCL, Diebuster, Gurren Lagann to name a few often confuse me to no end yet by most people, it is considered to be the most straightforward series. It also kind of bothers me that they have all this stuff yet they are considered to be marginally straightforward. by the community. It makes me wonder how should I approach those works? I know anime is first and foremost entertainment as well as art yet at the same time, it just makes me wonder if they are wacky for the sake of being wacky or if there is some awe inspiring meaning to them. I wonder if I should approach them critically meanwhile acknowledging their wackiness. I know nothing never truly has meaning except what we impose on it yet I wonder if there is something the writer wants to show us or if we are just overthinking it? How should I approach absurdist anime such as the ones made by Gainax?
Old 2013-11-30, 21:25   Link #14
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

FLCL and Abenobashi, sure, but there's nothing absurdist or surreal about TTGL or Diebuster, what the hell.
Madoka has certain surreal elements (like many Shaft anime) but it's hardly absurdist... a given work having elements that can be seen as absurd is not the same thing as a work being absurdist.
Absurdism is about meaninglessness.
Tyabann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-02, 16:04   Link #15
Qilin
Romanticist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
FLCL and Abenobashi, sure, but there's nothing absurdist or surreal about TTGL or Diebuster, what the hell.
Madoka has certain surreal elements (like many Shaft anime) but it's hardly absurdist... a given work having elements that can be seen as absurd is not the same thing as a work being absurdist.
Absurdism is about meaninglessness.
Rather than meaninglessness, I find that absurdism is about how individuals deal with a world that makes no sense. It's mainly about watching them fight, struggle, and eventually come to terms with a world they have no control over. It's a journey for meaning in a world without one.

From that standpoint, I do find that Madoka represents the philosophical approach of absurdism well. The show kinda reminded me of Albert Camus' stance on absurdity.
Old 2013-12-04, 16:51   Link #16
Bri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guernsey View Post
This maybe just me but I have real trouble with surrealist anime especially those made by Gainax. FLCL, Diebuster, Gurren Lagann to name a few often confuse me to no end yet by most people, it is considered to be the most straightforward series. It also kind of bothers me that they have all this stuff yet they are considered to be marginally straightforward. by the community. It makes me wonder how should I approach those works? I know anime is first and foremost entertainment as well as art yet at the same time, it just makes me wonder if they are wacky for the sake of being wacky or if there is some awe inspiring meaning to them. I wonder if I should approach them critically meanwhile acknowledging their wackiness. I know nothing never truly has meaning except what we impose on it yet I wonder if there is something the writer wants to show us or if we are just overthinking it? How should I approach absurdist anime such as the ones made by Gainax?
Gainax strongly references older works. Like Tarantino does in western film, they often create an exaggerated pastiche using typical themes and tropes from one or more established genres or works. They assume the viewer is familiar with the concepts and then twist the expectations.
Bri is offline   Reply With Quote