AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2006-03-21, 17:12   Link #81
monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eclipze
Um, ways to gain exp in a battle in FF VIII:
1) HIT the monster with the character. (even if you run, you'd still get the exp)
2) Kill the monster with a character. This includes magic, normal attack, Limit Breaks, and summoning GFs.

So yes, summoning GFs do give exp. The only way I can think of for you to not gain any exp BUT get AP for learning GF abilities, is to use *Card* ability on an enemy (Literally turn the monster into a card).
Yeah, that's what I meant. I wasn't sure why you put reason #1 in your earlier post, because as you said, you'd still get experience either way unless you turn the monster into card or simply run away. But I get that you're a low level player, the easiest way to do that is to get Diablos ASAP and master his Enc-half and Enc-none abilities.

Last edited by monster; 2006-03-21 at 17:23.
monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-21, 21:59   Link #82
Eclipze

Quote:
Originally Posted by monstert
Yeah, that's what I meant. I wasn't sure why you put reason #1 in your earlier post, because as you said, you'd still get experience either way unless you turn the monster into card or simply run away. But I get that you're a low level player, the easiest way to do that is to get Diablos ASAP and master his Enc-half and Enc-none abilities.
Not exactly low level player - level 1 player actually.

I would still need to *Card* monsters in order to learn GF abilities, which was troublesome though effective. In anycase, Im in no way going to get past disc 1 in the rest of my life time, due to the utter hate I have for the draw system.
Eclipze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-22, 21:16   Link #83
Nemuru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eclipze
Not exactly low level player - level 1 player actually.

I would still need to *Card* monsters in order to learn GF abilities, which was troublesome though effective. In anycase, Im in no way going to get past disc 1 in the rest of my life time, due to the utter hate I have for the draw system.
Since you're turning monster into cards you should see it as a blessing, since you can use them in that card game. If you detest the draw system you might find it easier to refine spell from item and cards since refining is probably the easier way without spending hours drawing.

To adress the Drawing issue is to have high MAG since it make drawing easier, every time you draw it decreases the next draw rate with high MAG level you should still be able to draw alot, stocking it easily to 100 in a few turns.
Nemuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-23, 00:30   Link #84
AnimeFangirl

In addition to carding, you can also refine various bought items for high-level magic, e.g. One Cottage for 20 Curagas/Firagas/Thundagas/Blizzagas. You can have all the top magic even before you meet Rinoa on Disc 1.

EDIT: Not before, but shortly afterwards. Point about truly top-level magic duly noted.

Last edited by AnimeFangirl; 2006-03-26 at 03:41.
AnimeFangirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-23, 01:26   Link #85
Eclipze

I wont classify "___ga" magic to be top-leveled. Intermediate leveled, yes. Top leveled, no. Magics like Meltdown, Ultima and the likes of them are considered "Top leveled", for me at least.

Anyways, I wont ever complete FFVIII (and Im reluctant to do so for FFX, even though Im just left with Braska's Final Aeons to defeat, mainly because FFX's side quest bore the hell out of me), not now, nor in the future.
Old 2006-03-23, 14:14   Link #86
Ryuu-Odjn
Lost...maybe

Meltdown and Pain are relatively easily come-by even on disc 1. Ultima and Full-Life are probably the only spells you can't get on disc 1 in large quantites.

I'm currently stuck on this at the moment, as the copy I've got no longer goes past an FMV towards the end of disc 2. ><; Damn you ebay people paying ridiculous prices for copies of old games! (FF8 currently goes for ~£20/$35).
Ryuu-Odjn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-23, 17:11   Link #87
EdenB
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryuu-Odjn
I'm currently stuck on this at the moment, as the copy I've got no longer goes past an FMV towards the end of disc 2. ><; Damn you ebay people paying ridiculous prices for copies of old games! (FF8 currently goes for ~£20/$35).
...£20? Maybe I should start selling my PSX RPGs, if I figure out how to set up eBay.
EdenB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-25, 02:29   Link #88
Imion
Bakabakabaka! >_<

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryuu-Odjn
o_O

Geez... to think that it's been sold as "Platinum Edition" around here for ~15-20€ ...

P.S.
Easiest way to get a lot of Ultima is actualy to Draw it from Ultima Weapon itself. :P
300 Ultima + the stones you'll get afterwards, just like that.
Since Ultima Weapon isn't exactly challenging that shouldn't be a problem.
I dissuade from trying that later on with Omega Weapon, though.

Combine that with visiting Shumi village frequently and soon everyone has Ultima in stock.
Imion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-25, 08:53   Link #89
celcius
Aspiring but lazy

IIRC, there was a fixed monster spot that respawns when you exit the map in the town with the shiny roads
Spoiler:
. I remember leaving Squall with yellow Hp and then Renzokuken the monster. I think it drops around 2-3 Ultima stones.
celcius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-26, 00:28   Link #90
Demongod86
Gundam Boobs and Boom FTW

Forgive my shallowness, but watching my friend stand there for half an hour drawing 100 holies from some random boss plus the graphics that make me want to rip my eyes out does not a good game make. No voice acting either. FFX on the other hand...now that's just a yummy game (still have yet to play FFX--Tidus's Angels aka FFX2).
Demongod86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-26, 03:44   Link #91
AnimeFangirl

On subsequent playthroughs of FFVIII (yes, I have played this game more than once), I have chosen to forgo drawing almost entirely in favour of carding and refining. I waited until I had the Ragnarok and then flew over to the Islands closest to Heaven and Hell and restocked repeatedly. Most bosses are a cakewalk in any case. You won't miss a little drawing here and there.
Old 2006-03-26, 07:26   Link #92
deathbygirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demongod86
No voice acting either. FFX on the other hand...now that's just a yummy game.
Voice acting certainly doesn't make a game (however, many people will state it has the power to take away from it - yes, Grandia III, I'm looking in your direction again... although most of the blame should be put on those who either localized or worked on the original script). After all, many compelling games on systems of old (excluding remakes and such on current and next-gen consoles) were epic and compelling by their storylines alone.

FFX had a very nice plot to it, but one thing really takes away from the experience for me: the mini-games (uh, more like fustrating, menial tasks) that one needed to play and defeat to unlock a part of a character's ultimate weapon. Never will I attempt to dodge 200-300 bolts of lightning or win the chocobo race with a net time of 0:00.00 ever again (although they're not required, per se, I prefer to unlock them).
deathbygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-28, 00:37   Link #93
yanmato91
nRgy

Send a message via MSN to yanmato91
you guys whine about Drawing Good spells from monsters, If you wanted good spells, all you had to do was go to hell and heaven, and it only takes about 10 minutes to get 50 draws. Stop being "Impatient".....and dont abuse me for this post.
yanmato91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-28, 00:58   Link #94
Nemuru

While I do like voice over in games, FFVIII is a 1998 production and at that time there weren't many games being voiced over, if FFIX wasn't voice why do you expect FFVIII to be.

Drawing was never a problem in this game, I enjoy this game because it actually consumed less time than other Final fantasy game. In my prespective it was an easy game to play and master.
Nemuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-28, 01:23   Link #95
Eclipze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemuru
I enjoy this game because it actually consumed less time than other Final fantasy game. In my prespective it was an easy game to play and master.
While I respect your opinion about FF VIII, I certainly dont agree with the quoted part. If you want to talk about "consume less time" and "easy to play", FF VIII definately doesn't fit the discription.

Out of "recent" titles, FF IX is by far the simpliest to play. No materia, no drawing, no sphere grid, and learning the auto abilities (10% hp, auto regen etc) is part of leveling. Its also the recent FF title that has the least amount of customization, which makes it even simpler.
Old 2006-03-28, 01:29   Link #96
yanmato91
nRgy

yes it was Easy to play, and it was Comsuming less time. You are just hanging bad stuff on it because "you didnt like it" It only took me at least 5 minutes to take 100 lightnings at level 1.
Old 2006-03-28, 01:34   Link #97
Eclipze

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanmato91
yes it was Easy to play, and it was Comsuming less time. You are just hanging bad stuff on it because "you didnt like it" It only took me at least 5 minutes to take 100 lightnings at level 1.
Um, it was the other way round for me. Because it consumed more time and was alot less "easy" to play than FF IX, I didnt like it. (thats another matter altogether).

You seriously telling me that, if you were to play all FF titles in japanese (presuming you dont understand the language), you would have a easier time playing VIII than IX? ...I salute you.
Old 2006-03-28, 03:37   Link #98
celcius
Aspiring but lazy

Seriosuly, drawing is tedious. Sure it takes only 10 minutes as you say, but that's ten minutes of doing a simple thing. You have to admit, drawing magic is BORING. When something is boring, it always seems to take more time than it actually does.

And I also disagree with FFVIII being simpler. There's actually a high amount of customizability in FF8, with all the stat bonuses. You can make Squall a mage type and deprave him of Str and Def and pump his Mag and Spi. Junctioning powerful magic to his strength can get his Str back up there, but then you've wasted a powerful magic for that, which could've been on another, more deserving stat. FF8 has got to be one of the easiest FF's to get over 50% of stats at 255 though.
celcius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-28, 03:54   Link #99
monster

Drawing was pretty tedious, but it kind of reminded me of stealing with Zidane (IX was my first and still my favorite FF game), so I was kind of ok with it. But I think it would've been better if you could draw a lot more than 9 spells from the common enemy and at the same time make them harder to beat. This way you could take your mind off of drawing and focus on actually beating the enemy. This would make it less tedious to draw just like it wasn't tedious to steal and max out the Thievery skill, at least it wasn't for me.
monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-28, 04:53   Link #100
yanmato91
nRgy

Its ebacuse yuou got no motivation in the game. You think there just guna say " Lets make Final Fantasy 8 a really easy game" no tehre not, they will make it hard, and its something you have to put up with. If you gota do something, you do something.