AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Old 2017-09-13, 04:32   Link #1
marvelB

One Piece - Chapter 878 [manga]

Welcome to the weekly manga discussion thread for One Piece.

Thread GuidelineBriefs
  • One Piece is licensed by Viz, please don't ask for or mention where to find or download the manga.
  • Please do not discuss scanlations, translation groups, etc., etc.
  • Raw requests and offers are not permitted anywhere on this forum.
  • Discuss your expectations of the chapter if it has not been published yet.
  • Posting a synopses or summary is fine (and welcome).
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Please try to keep the discussion on topic.
  • Spoilers will not be policed in this thread, so if you haven't read the chapter yet, just stay out if you don't want to read spoilers.
Remember that the manga is licensed, do not post significant parts of the chapter. This includes images, scripts and direct translations of the manga. Summaries are OK, crops of pictures are OK (only if you need to illustrate your point) but this is it.

We're fresh out of the break! Some pics and a brief summary is out, courtesy of AP's Redon:

-Chapter title is "Guardians Captain of the Mink tribe, Pedro". Splash is a color page.

-We see a brief flashback of Pedro's childhood where he and Wanda met Roger. Back in the present, we see that Perospero has survived the bomb blast.... but not in one piece. He's grievously injured, having even lost an arm! And it's thanks to his getting so heavily wounded that the effects of his candy start to wear off....!!!

-Carrot, who's naturally distraught over Pedro's sacrifice, attacks Katakuri in rage. Unfortunately, she's no match for the commander. However, Luffy cuts in and grabs the mochi-man. Meanwhile, Jinbei finally manages to activate the Sunny's Coup de Burst.... which blasts off in Big Mom's face!!!

-However, despite having escaped BM's clutches for the time being, Luffy has another powerful enemy to deal with: Grabbing hold of both Katakuri AND Brulee, he drags the former with him into the mirror world, and proceeds to shatter the Sunny's mirror! He intends to take on Katakuri one-on-one....!!!!

Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
marvelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-09-13, 06:24   Link #2
The Small One

Somehow I found it really hard to follow the events in this chapter. Too much switching around.
So it's a one on one… at least there won't be any discussions about the power levels, when this fight is over. Just curious on how Luffy plans to get back to his crew. If he were sure he can win, he shouldn't have destroyed the mirror.
The Small One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-09-13, 08:06   Link #3
khoa1708
www.kh0a.net

can Luffy use Brulee and escape through another mirror after he beats Katakuri?

Perospero will probably be eaten by BM anyways because she found no wedding cake

imo this confirms Carrot as the next SH member... look at how Luffy calls out to her like he did the rest of his crew members
Old 2017-09-13, 08:48   Link #4
Ramero
7th Order Knight / Hermit

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoa1708 View Post
can Luffy use Brulee and escape through another mirror after he beats Katakuri?

Perospero will probably be eaten by BM anyways because she found no wedding cake

imo this confirms Carrot as the next SH member... look at how Luffy calls out to her like he did the rest of his crew members
Well, the mirror was broken so it will be hard to find access back to Sunny not to mention Sanji, Pudding and Chiffon is constructing a new cake for Big Mom.
Ramero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-09-13, 09:16   Link #5
~Yami~
a random Indonesian otaku

no Luffy!!! we don't want you to be separated for long from your members again

let's hope Sanji will pick him up later

and I agree if Carrot become the next Strawhat member
~Yami~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-09-13, 09:22   Link #6
Gintokifan22
Gintoki fan

If Luffy picks up two members for his team, that would count as ten like he wanted not counting his ship like some suggested. It would be pretty cool to have her on the team, I like her. But we already have such a big party for the next arc who's been with the crew since when Law first teamed up with Luffy so hard to tell right now. For now she's just going to be another Allie to help fight Kaidou.

This episode was awesome, Luffy was so boss here. I hope he defeats this guy on his own. Perfect rival for Luffy to fight, can't wait for the next chapter

Thank goodness no break.

Love you Luffy, your awesome!

Pairings I support : Ed x winry. Ash x Serena. Endou x Natsumi. Ginta x Dorothy fan. Luffy x Hancock. Akito x Yurika fan. Gintoki x Tysuki. Boruto X Sumire.
Gintokifan22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-09-13, 09:38   Link #7
Diluc
Darkhero of Monstadt

Some people might against this opinion of mine but i hope we will have another time skip again later, no need another training arc just make realistic like Luffy reunited with his crew one year later after sailed the sea for months, days, and weeks.
It just doesn't make any sense if Luffy became Pirate king and achieve many achievement in his 19 years old the time also must move on alongside Luffy progress.
Diluc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-09-13, 10:14   Link #8
itachi-san314

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxis View Post
Some people might against this opinion of mine but i hope we will have another time skip again later, no need another training arc just make realistic like Luffy reunited with his crew one year later after sailed the sea for months, days, and weeks.
It just doesn't make any sense if Luffy became Pirate king and achieve many achievement in his 19 years old the time also must move on alongside Luffy progress.
I highly doubt it will be an off screen timeskip like the middle of the story, but I do think it's about time for Luffy to learn DF Awakening. He's realizing that he has no shot at beating an emperor, or even their right hand men, without it. He's probably going to end up being saved by someone who can teach it to him.

I'm not sure how I feel about Luffy 1 on 1 vs Dogtooth, but I do think Luffy will lose to someone with a similar ability who has awakened his DF. It will make Luffy more mentally focused to learn it. Luffy wouldn't have beaten Cracker if Nami wasn't helping after all and he was only the #3. Plus, it's safe to assume Dogtooth is stronger than Mingo and Luffy didn't really win that fight if you count the rescue 10 minute break. And he hasn't really improved much since then either.

Also, I wonder if Sanji will be fighting the #2 commander soon
itachi-san314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-09-13, 11:20   Link #9
Theia_Loki

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Small One View Post
Somehow I found it really hard to follow the events in this chapter. Too much switching around.
So it's a one on one… at least there won't be any discussions about the power levels, when this fight is over. Just curious on how Luffy plans to get back to his crew. If he were sure he can win, he shouldn't have destroyed the mirror.
Because if he didn't do that, then there would be nothing stopping Katakuri and Brulee from getting back on board to inconvenience them again before they fully escape Tottoland. In other words, destroying Brulee's mirror onto the Sunny was the best option.

Same reason he insisted he fights Lucci one-on-one back at Enies Lobby despite Franky's protest that they both take him on 2-to-one.
Theia_Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-09-13, 11:43   Link #10
Rainbowman

Having to fight Katakuri in the mirror world of all places is not the best idea to get into.
Rainbowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-09-13, 12:51   Link #11
Kaz_

I stopped caring about lieutenants with Donquixotes, when I realized how badly they were staggering the story-telling. Im so glad we already took care of many ass-clowns of Big-Mom Pirates...Cracker, Chef guy, Perespero or whatever-his-name-was, even the sleep df boyoyon guy. BM send the guy to burn down an entire kingdom all alone and he got his ass kicked almost instantly by Sanji.

At the very end of the day, Katakuri and Big Mom are the only worthwhile enemies in this whole chapter for me. And I believe Katakuri will stay as main boss of this arc, eliminating his legendary strongest son will give Big Mom a real reason not to underestimate Strawhats as they escape from her domain.
Kaz_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-09-13, 15:06   Link #12
Jmariofan7

Quote:
Originally Posted by itachi-san314 View Post
Plus, it's safe to assume Dogtooth is stronger than Mingo and Luffy didn't really win that fight if you count the rescue 10 minute break. And he hasn't really improved much since then either.
You're forgetting that Doflamingo wasn't playing fair and he made Luffy jump straight to his currently revealed most powerful form, that had a huge drawback, prematurely, rather then the usual fights where Luffy starts off in his base form and goes up the ladder to wear down his opponent.
Jmariofan7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-09-13, 15:53   Link #13
teejmo

Quote:
I'm not sure how I feel about Luffy 1 on 1 vs Dogtooth, but I do think Luffy will lose to someone with a similar ability who has awakened his DF. It will make Luffy more mentally focused to learn it. Luffy wouldn't have beaten Cracker if Nami wasn't helping after all and he was only the #3. Plus, it's safe to assume Dogtooth is stronger than Mingo and Luffy didn't really win that fight if you count the rescue 10 minute break. And he hasn't really improved much since then either.
I'm not sure using strength levels is really apt when talking about Luffy and Nami vs Cracker. Cracker was pretty much Luffy's worst match-up - the only way to really get to him from behind all of his minions was having a large area of effect attack, and Luffy's best AoE move (Conqueror's Haki) was useless against mindless cracker golems. Against someone like Law and his Room ability, Cracker wouldn't have been nearly as effective. But that doesn't mean that Law is overall stronger than Luffy.
teejmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-09-13, 16:20   Link #14
marvelB

You know, thinking about it, this whole desperate escape/battle from Big Mom reminds me a bit of the Buster Call from Enies Lobby. In fact, like Theia_Loki pointed out, Luffy isolating Katakuri in the mirror world even kinda mirrors (pun not exactly intended) his reasons for taking on Lucci solo. But hey, at least he can catch up to the crew using a mirror on Cocoa Island where Sanji is!

Quote:
Also, I wonder if Sanji will be fighting the #2 commander soon
You mean Smoothie? Doubt our chef friend is still willing to attack a lady at this point, unfortunately. Otherwise, the only other person I see being strong enough to take her on is Jinbei (which I guess could be an interesting match-up)....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaz_ View Post
At the very end of the day, Katakuri and Big Mom are the only worthwhile enemies in this whole chapter for me.
Out of curiosity, are you mainly counting Katakuri on the mere basis that he's essentially a dark-haired Zoro clone, design-wise?
marvelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-09-13, 19:35   Link #15
P_Dezz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmariofan7 View Post
You're forgetting that Doflamingo wasn't playing fair and he made Luffy jump straight to his currently revealed most powerful form, that had a huge drawback, prematurely, rather then the usual fights where Luffy starts off in his base form and goes up the ladder to wear down his opponent.
well Luffy, just overestimated Mingo's toughness, he completely schooled him in the 1st G4 transformation, if he knew Mingo could take one or two Leo Bazooka's he probably would have started out with that. I hope Brulee stays out of the fight, I'm hoping to see different variations of the G4, maybe a thinner faster version. Honestly I didn't think we'd have a final decisive type fight in this arc, but I guess Oda wants to show Luffy's true growth. with all those mirrors there though, I'm pretty sure Oda is going to have Luffy going somewhere else and meet up with the crew sometime in the future maybe in Wano.
P_Dezz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-09-14, 02:32   Link #16
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to bhl88 Send a message via Yahoo to bhl88
Lol did Luffy just concentrate his King's Haki on Brulee? She fainted.
Old 2017-09-14, 13:19   Link #17
necrolyte

This is the first chapter from quite some time that I really like. Everyone had their time to shine here and Luffy looked really badass driving Katakuri away and also the way he broke the mirror was really cool.
necrolyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-09-15, 12:19   Link #18
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

Will this match give him a 1.2 billion berry bounty?
Old 2017-09-16, 03:20   Link #19
Gintokifan22
Gintoki fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhl88 View Post
Will this match give him a 1.2 billion berry bounty?
Only if the government gets a glimps of it some how, it is pretty big seeing Luffy take on Big Moms second in command and if Luffy defeats him boy, that shows what an even bigger threat the big house he is.

I hope Luffy wins, the guy's got different powers than Crackers. I could at least see Luffy maybe learn awaking like some people are saying, like what happened with his haki, remember all those hints of Luffy having haki pre time skip?

Pairings I support : Ed x winry. Ash x Serena. Endou x Natsumi. Ginta x Dorothy fan. Luffy x Hancock. Akito x Yurika fan. Gintoki x Tysuki. Boruto X Sumire.
Gintokifan22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-09-16, 15:18   Link #20
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

We have a guy who reads the future and another guy who screws the future.