AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Spice and Wolf

Notices

View Poll Results: Spice and Wolf II - Episode 12 Rating
Perfect 10 83 51.23%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 37 22.84%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 23 14.20%
7 out of 10 : Good 10 6.17%
6 out of 10 : Average 7 4.32%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 0.62%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 0.62%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 162. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2009-09-24, 09:51   Link #21
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbee View Post
Your review is a very good analysis of the part of S&W that makes it enjoyable: the organic character growth, their familiar banter, slice-of-life setting, well rounded side characters, and the slowly simmering romance.

You don't mention, however, the insanely convoluted ways that they choose to involve Horo in Lawrence's crazy dealings. Or the fact that pretty much all the drama would be deflated with some more communication between Horo and Lawrence (the drama at the end of the pyrite arc falls apart if Horo had talked). Oh, and the standard anime trapping of brickwall male lead paired with tsundere female.
I can predict right now without having read the novel that S3 will feature even more insane and unlikely ways for Lawrence's personal and economic intrerests to combine in an effort to center the drama around the relationship with Horo.

What I will say for the show, is that it has some amazingly well-written, aptly placed and subtle dialogue, which I'm sure is pulled straight from the novel. Season 2 was actually more enjoyable for me than the first, due to these character interactions. Oh, and the OP is probably the best of the year.

6/10, enjoyable watch if you can forgive the flaws and sit back for the ride.
Well I wouldn't exactly call it convoluted. Most of the issues arose because Lawrence is as dense as a brick, a fact no fan will deny because it's true. Most of everything that happened is because Lawrence for the most part can't pick up the hints and subtleties Horo's trying to get across as well as Lawrence being very clumsy in the way he talks to Horo about certain issues that he otherwise would handle perfectly if it was about business.

That said, season 2 since the first episode of the season had been exactly about Lawrence and his inability to properly function in deeply social situations, resulting in him getting into trouble that may or may not be worth it in the long run. The plot in essence revolves around what happens because Lawrence is a slow, slow man. Romantically speaking of course.

But that's what I like about this season. Sure enough Lawrence is a walking trope of the brick-dense doofus male lead, but what he gets is something many leads of the same type really don't get: really good personal development. Unlike other shows, the male lead is facing real and serious repurcussions as a result of his lackings as compared to other shows with this type of lead, events that are usually too comic or silly to be taken seriously. Here however, no matter how strangely convoluted and unlucky the situations get, they are events forcing the lead to develop and make a choice. That's something I don't tend to see in other shows with a lead like this.

One can just consider them a means to an end perhaps, but I can't deny the fact that no matter how silly some of the ideas like the pyrite plot is, it was brought about with such pizzaz that it made me actually care about market economics, a subject I usually tend to abhor (I suck at economic theory). It actually felt serious and critical.
Old 2009-09-24, 10:14   Link #22
typhonsentra

I'm kinda disappointed with the lack of passion behind the kiss. It's been a long time coming and this was a pretty intense moment for them. I guess they're still trying to keep a certain level of distance, even now.
Old 2009-09-24, 10:48   Link #23
Xander

Quote:
Originally Posted by typhonsentra View Post
I'm kinda disappointed with the lack of passion behind the kiss. It's been a long time coming and this was a pretty intense moment for them. I guess they're still trying to keep a certain level of distance, even now.
Well, it was essentially Lawrence kissing Horo while both her attitude and the surrounding context wouldn't really make for a suddenly passionate kiss either, all things considered.
Old 2009-09-24, 11:23   Link #24
Ulrezaj

That, and it never happened in the book.
Old 2009-09-24, 11:35   Link #25
SSJiffy
AWWWSOME

There is only one thing left to say: moar plz :[
Old 2009-09-24, 11:50   Link #26
Windows X

Let me sum up for ya.

Spoiler for Summary...I don't want to spoil the fun too much in case you watch it later so I'll keep it brief.:

P.S. Poor Lawrence getting pwned by 2 girls in one episode sucks. Getting scratches on his left cheek everytime in last episode sucks. No Horo transforming to wolf form in this season sucks. So they have to make SS3!
Old 2009-09-24, 11:58   Link #27
BashZeStampeedo

Kudos to the animators and seiyuu for really bringing this episode to life! It was a suitably good ending for the season. Wonder if season 3 will be about Horo coming to terms with how she feels about Lawrence, now that Lawrence knows how he feels?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
Well I wouldn't exactly call it convoluted. Most of the issues arose because Lawrence is as dense as a brick, a fact no fan will deny because it's true. Most of everything that happened is because Lawrence for the most part can't pick up the hints and subtleties Horo's trying to get across as well as Lawrence being very clumsy in the way he talks to Horo about certain issues that he otherwise would handle perfectly if it was about business.
I don't really buy that it's Lawrence's fault anymore. Horo is way over his head, and rarely comes down to his level (and even then in cryptic ways). In the end, there is very little you can say against Lawrence this time. He's really out-shined Horo this time.

He made her realize the choice she's given him is extremely difficult and painful to him, especially because she's backed him into a corner. He gives her a taste of her own medicine (perhaps unintentionally): it's over because that's what she wanted. Then by going through with the plan he probably made her feel all kinds of awful, just like he felt. Ultimately though, he pulls through. He even accepts Horo's inability to reciprocate; he still loves her too much to let her go, and will carry on "hoping".

In the meantime, Horo can't even tell him why she's holding back. She's clearly in love with him, but just can't admit it. Now she has no excuse - she's the one holding their relationship back. She can no longer rely on him as a scapegoat (although notice she still asks him to take responsibility).

I wonder what diablo ex machina is holding her back. The fact that she can't be honest about it is a little disconcerting. And the fact that he's willing to carry on under those conditions really is *scary*.
Old 2009-09-24, 12:33   Link #28
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Once again, Lawrence gets his ass handed to him and this time it was by a girl...just once I would like to see him GAR

But that said, it was a nice end to the series although this final arc lacked impact and didn't exactly click with me (all that garbage scheming and whatnot).

There will definitely be a 3rd season too based on the way they ended things. Methinks Abe won't be coming back.

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Old 2009-09-24, 12:37   Link #29
Noe
HARDCORE Fate addict™

Send a message via AIM to Noe Send a message via MSN to Noe
Oh nice, last episode is out.

ALL HAIL FATE T. HARLAOWN!
#Feitoism @ irc.rizon.net to revere, share, and cherish Fate Testarossa Harlaown.
My blog
Old 2009-09-24, 13:02   Link #30
HandofFate

goddamnit, Lawrence.

Spoiler for episode 12 impressions:
Old 2009-09-24, 13:07   Link #31
Arashi500
Cthulhu Fhtagn!

I can't find a working sub to watch online, and downloads freeze up working. Could i get some help here? (Need sub)
Old 2009-09-24, 13:14   Link #32
wandering-dreamer
reads too much

Wow, by the end of that episode Lawrence should've had a broken jaw if not a few missing teeth, the ladies in this series punch hard! (and I was laughing at the end when we see the barmaid directing everyone how to bar up the place while wearing a pot on her head). I thought it was a good season overall but much to short, need more adventures now.
Old 2009-09-24, 13:17   Link #33
brain
house music addict

I rated this episode a 10/10 for evoking some actual tears in spite of the overall predictability of the end of this arc. Yes, the inevitable "good end" was certain (if for no other reason than the ED sequence really does demand it). I would posit that Lawrence is predictably bold enough by now that there would have been no way to actually dissuade him from coming through with the 'rescue'.

I think Horo's tendency to remain so aloof even after these two seasons of content speaks volumes to her (lack of) experience. It is very doubtful to me at this point that her six hundred years were often spent in the company of other sentient beings, much less humans. Lawrence's own social fumbles and Horo's willingness to be play teasing tsundere role serve as a diversion, but I think through that you can see that she is probably far more inexperienced than she lets on, both romantically and socially in general.

Overall, I have to say that this season has been very satisfying. I had low expectations at the start based upon the initial animation quality, but there were rapid marked improvements and then consistently good voice acting and musical score throughout. The only qualm I really have is that the pacing has seemed rather abrupt throughout the second season. It makes me want to take up the light novels and see how differently the story is portrayed there. Definitely looking forward to a third season where the smooth out some of the rough edges in pacing and characterization!

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
Old 2009-09-24, 14:23   Link #34
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathkillz View Post
Once again, Lawrence gets his ass handed to him and this time it was by a girl...just once I would like to see him GAR

But that said, it was a nice end to the series although this final arc lacked impact and didn't exactly click with me (all that garbage scheming and whatnot).

There will definitely be a 3rd season too based on the way they ended things. Methinks Abe won't be coming back.
Well he would have been fine if he hadn't kept on dropping his guard. I mean he had good control of the situation when he grabbed Abe and then the choke but then let her go. If he had just choked her out he would have been fine. He's just lucky Abe decided not to finish him off or he would have gotten killed that time.

Did like the barmaid organizing the defence. Definitely someone that knows how to step up when the situation demands it. Hopefully she'll be all right in regards to that riot.
Old 2009-09-24, 15:59   Link #35
Windows X

Lawrence is smart enough to guarantee his life by claiming killing him off will only making the deal get worse. He's too soft to knock off woman or he prefers to be "M" rather than "S" I guess :P

Spoiler for About Abe and Horo's trade:
Old 2009-09-24, 16:04   Link #36
Utaki
Awesomesauce

This anime really lives on its story and dialogue, which this last episode didn't forget, but I wish the animations were better drawn out... or maybe that was the crappy quality but I think once when Horo is crying it's like she's vibrating o-o. And that kiss lacked emphasis and emotion after all that build up :\

+ kiss
+ ending basically confirmed that theres S3... (how many more books are there? and if they do 2 books a season... how many more seasons will there be? o-o)
+ awesome build-up and story
- no uberwolf
Old 2009-09-24, 18:36   Link #37
NettoSaito
Black Knight

Send a message via MSN to NettoSaito
I'm guessing there'll be a season 3. The anime is great, there's 12 books, and well... a lot of story still left to tell! Im guessing that if they did all of the books then we're looking at 5 or 6 seasons. Right? (I really hope so.....)
Old 2009-09-24, 19:20   Link #38
Arashi500
Cthulhu Fhtagn!

I would say 3-4 seasons, unless they drag every moment out.
Old 2009-09-24, 19:38   Link #39
velderia
Former NEET.

Even though the way the trade concluded was a bit confusing and requires me to backtrack a little, I still enjoyed it. It was a nice way to end this season. I like how the bells in the end almost sounded like wedding bells.

I also liked Mazui's notes at the very end. What she said about 2 years ago not knowing a single word of japanese really inspired me and made my day.

10/10
Old 2009-09-24, 20:43   Link #40
Nochgo
iceman
*Scanlator

It was a very satisfying episode. Lawrence finally realized what's most important to him (I think), and I liked how he backed out of something he knew wasn't a good business. I liked the dialogue between Horo and Lawrence before Horo was about to be sold off; the understanding the two had of each other was displayed very well I thought.

Now, another waiting for the next season. I hope its not another 2 years this time around.