AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > To Aru Kagaku no Railgun

Notices

View Poll Results: To Aru Kagaku no Railgun S - Episode 1 Rating
Perfect 10 50 39.37%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 35 27.56%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 18 14.17%
7 out of 10 : Good 15 11.81%
6 out of 10 : Average 8 6.30%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 0.79%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 127. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2013-04-14, 04:12   Link #181
erneiz_hyde
18782+18782=37564

Just watched this. The only thing that stuck was this scene.

Uiharu why are you so adorable *nosebleeds*
Old 2013-04-14, 05:04   Link #182
judasmartel
神の金槌 (ユダ=マーテル)
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahelo View Post
Great episode to get pumped up for more Railgun. Did Mikoto really need to railgun that helicopter while upside down. No. But it was fucking cool.

I like the little hints and tidbits of the Sister's arc finally starting like Mikoto looking at the rehabilitation area or Saten-san snooping in alleys. Oh yeah, more Touma snippets (with no Index in sight).
Seven words:

Kuroko Shirai, the Yellow Flash of Tokiwadai.
Old 2013-04-14, 05:25   Link #183
Qikz

Best part of that episode was easily the upside down railgun. I kinda had a feeling it would happen when she was free falling but daaamn that was cool
Qikz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-14, 08:17   Link #184
LazyHunter

Finally got around to see the first episode and it was an excellent first episode. Didn't think I would see Misaki this season bar a short cameo in the end so I am already very happy with the series, and the awesome OP only adds more expectation as to how they're going to do the Sisters arc.

Nice cameo in the end by Touma, given that the final trac of the Sisters arc is already covered in Index is obvious he's going to appear more than in the first season, which is perfect.
LazyHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-14, 08:46   Link #185
moridin84
Custom User Title

This is really, really trivial but back in Index season 1 Mikoto claimed that her school didn't give out homework.
moridin84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-14, 08:49   Link #186
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by moridin84 View Post
This is really, really trivial but back in Index season 1 Mikoto claimed that her school didn't give out homework.
Summer homework.
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-14, 09:17   Link #187
ninryu
It's yuri, bitches

Awesome first episode. Mikoto action is always welcome <3.
ninryu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-14, 09:47   Link #188
erdii

well episode was good al long as you have Kuroko you can jump anywhere you want even if it is a free jump ı liked Touma in the end. he just appeared just to comment but somehow it seemed funny to me.

lastly was the part when Mikoto and Touma first meet animated in first season ??
Old 2013-04-14, 09:49   Link #189
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by erdii View Post
well episode was good al long as you have Kuroko you can jump anywhere you want even if it is a free jump ı liked Touma in the end. he just appeared just to comment but somehow it seemed funny to me.

lastly was the part when Mikoto and Touma first meet animated in first season ??
A short flashback in episode 4.
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-14, 11:10   Link #190
ninryu
It's yuri, bitches

Fuck Touma, more screen time for the really interesting characters.
Old 2013-04-14, 11:24   Link #191
Goldzero

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninryu View Post
Fuck Touma, more screen time for the really interesting characters.
chill. i can tell theirs a number of railgun fans who don't like touma mainly the yuri shippers but i don't think he deserves any crap talk about him seeing as how he did noting wrong.
Goldzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-14, 11:34   Link #192
Kaijo
Banned

Location: Somewhere over the rainbow, in a house dropped on an ugly, old woman.
Send a message via AIM to Kaijo Send a message via MSN to Kaijo
Good start. Setting up a new character, giving hints to what follows. Even the first ep of Railgun showed the MP3 player in the guy's pocket, so I was looking for subtle hints this time around.

I think that is a big reason why I love Railgun; while each episode, especially the early ones, seem to fool around, they are indeed slowly building up the major overreaching plot. Even when you thought the first arc was dealt with, it came back in the second arc, tying everything together fairly well. Which means there is rewatch value, since now you can pick up those hints. Index just had subarcs that lasted 3-5 episodes a piece, and ended the same way: with a righteous speech and a punch. Characters introduced in each arc, were dropped soon after and had no real relevance to later plots (like the vampire-attracting chick and even Misaka). And I like a series that focuses on just one or two main plots, building on them, instead of jumping all over the place. Railgun has a good focus that way.

Misaka herself makes mistakes and grows, showcasing more of a real human. She's come to rely on her friends more, instead of assuming she can handle it all with her own power, although she still ends up slipping into that attitude as we see here. Old habits die hard, I suppose.

Saten herself has had interesting growth, becoming more comfortable with herself as a level 0, filling the role of the audience and the every day person surrounded by extraordinary things. She came out of her funk, knows her limits, but still is willing to do what she can. She's more than willing to jump in and risk it, which probably makes her the most amazing one of all because she doesn't have powers. Like the Xander from Buffy. Though, having said that, I would like to see her develop into at least a Level 1, heh.

I will admit my dislike for the moe stuff, but that's more of a general anime thing that I am beginning to hate from the industry in general. I can't help but think it is there to sell now, like mindless sex and violence. Moe is the new fanservice. I don't mind fanservice when it makes sense to the plot; just don't make it distracting, and don't insert purely to help sell your show. I suppose that's another reason I like Saten; she isn't a moe blob. She's an action woman with a strong sense of courage.

Anyway, all these things came out in force in this episode, which reminded me so much of why I love this series. And the green beam woman from the OP will now forever be "Laser Lady" to me (old Condorman reference, heh).
Kaijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-14, 11:38   Link #193
Kimidori
The Opened Ultimate Gate

just read 2 pages in this thread and I see hype all over Misaki, The Queen whatsoever.

is she get more likeable later? cause right now I'm seeing her as an annoying character that need a punch from Touma.
Old 2013-04-14, 11:41   Link #194
Goldzero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimidori View Post
just read 2 pages in this thread and I see hype all over Misaki, The Queen whatsoever.

is she get more likeable later? cause right now I'm seeing her as an annoying character that need a punch from Touma.
a number of fans seems to be disliking her where i'm looking up doesn't seem like a number of fans like her cocky attitude.
Old 2013-04-14, 11:46   Link #195
Kaijo
Banned

If she is annoying you, then I think the animators are getting across how they want you to feel about her. She does pretty much come across as a privilaged ojou-sama who can do what she likes because she has power. Then again, given that she can control most anyone, she could have full power in academy city if she chose, so she is either holding back and thus not totally bad, or she has a more subtle game plan going.

Someone mentioned the theory that the girl we see isn't the real Lv5 Misaki, either, but could be just someone the real one controls. Hopefully, we'll find out.

But yeah, she is either working a secret game, or the image she is projecting is a facade because doesn't feel she can really get close to anyone. This may be why she focuses on antagonizing Misaka, because that is one person she can't control. Somewhat like Kongo, she probably wants real friends, but can't really have them since everyone is either scared of her and her power, or fawns over her. That might get a little lonely.
Old 2013-04-14, 11:50   Link #196
ninryu
It's yuri, bitches

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldzero View Post
chill. i can tell theirs a number of railgun fans who don't like touma mainly the yuri shippers but i don't think he deserves any crap talk about him seeing as how he did noting wrong.
Mikoto, the strongest esper in the city, can beat a group of men twice her size with one hit, can totally wreck huge vehicles WITH A FREAKING COIN, fought countless criminals and psychopaths, yet when Touma is about to give her one little punch she cowers in fear with tears in her eyes like a little girl? I call bullshit. Touma is a Garry Stu.
Old 2013-04-14, 11:54   Link #197
Haigon

Quote:
Mikoto, the strongest esper in the city, can beat a group of men twice her size with one hit, can totally wreck huge vehicles WITH A FREAKING COIN, fought countless criminals and psychopaths, yet when Touma is about to give her one little punch she cowers in fear with tears in her eyes like a little girl? I call bullshit. Touma is a Garry Stu.
Mikoto isn't the strongest...
Haigon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-14, 12:00   Link #198
zaeraal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimidori View Post

That question belongs to a different thread, but I agree, she deserves a solid punch to face.

Strong mind-controll powers like hers ALWAYS end up in the most tragic situations in all anime/manga I knew.
With people having to fight with their friends and family usually ending with their death.
Losing memories sometimes counts too towards sad / tragic moments.
(for example: Code Geas, Ga-Rei Zero, Inuyasha and others)

Her behavior and misuse of her power only makes it worse.
And the inability of AC to deal with mind-controll (or her) in general puts her in a solid position:
If she does not undo it, it will be forever and even if she undoes it, you can't say for sure if it was undone the right way.

But you have to agree, she has awesome pair of tits which to a certain extent can justify the above.
zaeraal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-14, 12:06   Link #199
Kaijo
Banned

3rd strongest. I kinda get ninryu is saying, but for Mikoto at that moment, she was powerless, which isn't a state she is used to being in. It was more comedic surprise than anything else (and you can get away with more in a comedy situation). Misaka also isn't really a "brawler" or fighter type; she relies on her powers to do the fighting, much like Accelerator relied on his own powers, and thus wasn't as physically capable.

I'll admit to not liking Touma as much (he's relatively static, never changing or developing, always right all the time and always doing the right thing), but I wouldn't quite call him a Gary Stu. He does get beaten up quite a bit, even if he ultimately wins in the end. But not everything goes his way 100%. A Gary Stu would step in and solve the problem in two seconds flat. It at least takes Toouma awhile. He is one of those characters whom everyone else develops around; it's not so much about him, but about the characters and world around him. He's just a focal point for the audience to interject themselves. Although this is probably getting a bit off topic.

And I'm not a yuri shipper, either... far from it. I actually do like Touma and Misaka's interactions(they amuse me). While not I'm not really a shipper in general much anymore, if I had to pick a preference, it would be Misaka/Touma. But I'd probably be just as fine to not see anyone hook up. Well, maybe Konori and her Big Spider guy, heh.
Old 2013-04-14, 12:07   Link #200
Goldzero

Quote:
i really prefer we don't argue but the main reason to why mikoto cower in fear was stated that every opponents who have fought touma sees him as a fighting machine a demon who can cancel all their attacks and take whatever hits they give him which was portrayed much much better in the LN. touma has quite the demonic aura in his opponents eyes.

Tags
railgun