Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Macross

Notices

Old 2015-10-29, 11:11   Link #681
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaxzero View Post
A long time ago Macross was about soldiers doing her job riding war machines and singers sang their songs
You are getting it, albeit spiced up with an aristocratic flair.

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Tak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-29, 11:15   Link #682
dmaxzero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
You are getting it, albeit spiced up with an aristocratic flair.

- Tak
Speaking aristocratic flair... Kind of Principality of Zeon, eh? Hopefully they wont be dropping colonies on planets. XD

Oh well. Wait and see how this whole thing with the singer pilots progress.
dmaxzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-29, 11:18   Link #683
Tak

Quote:
Speaking aristocratic flair... Kind of Principality of Zeon, eh? Hopefully they wont be dropping colonies on planets. XD
Macross military planners would absolutely laugh at that ridiculous, burdensome idea. If they wanted to, they can either vaporize an entire planet or change the weather.

Really, the current Macross verse is what Char would have wanted and much much more.

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Old 2015-10-29, 11:29   Link #684
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Zeon did that only coz they hate the Earth Federation. Not because they like nuking planets for lulz .

And yeah, the Macross fleets/colonies and their advanced space exploration are what Char, Judau, Haman, and the rest of the spacenoids from Gundam Universe dream of.
Old 2015-10-29, 11:32   Link #685
Ascaloth
I don't give a damn, dude

Hmmm, a lot of the dogfight scenes look like they're rotoscoped right out of Frontier, green hair is a dead ringer for Sheryl, and orange hair has the Ranka vibe. And the key visuals seem less Macross and more AKB0048 vs Zeon.

Not so sure about this, especially since Aquarion Logos is nowhere near as interesting as the fascinating trainwrecks of the original Aquarion series. And since Kawamori doesn't seem to be helming this either, eh...
Ascaloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-29, 11:46   Link #686
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Just heard about it.... and saw the trailer....

YAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYY!

Also added trailer in the opening post.
monir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-29, 11:59   Link #687
dmaxzero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
Zeon did that only coz they hate the Earth Federation. Not because they like nuking planets for lulz .

And yeah, the Macross fleets/colonies and their advanced space exploration are what Char, Judau, Haman, and the rest of the spacenoids from Gundam Universe dream of.
I would do it for the lulz.
Seriously though, the comment came for the uniform appearance of the pretty boys and their postures in the pic, plus the symbols in their planes and color schemes.

... Naaah, I would definitely drop colonies on planets cause the lulz...
Old 2015-10-29, 12:05   Link #688
moncikoma

Quote:
Originally Posted by moodie View Post
question, do i have to watch the previous series or can i dive into this and work my way backwards
trust me u should..

start from macross plus
and frontier after (the movie)
moncikoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-29, 12:11   Link #689
moncikoma

i think this show will be hated by older fans..
but younger fans will definitely love it

im neutral on this.. because im still enjoying it for the musics, mecha, and romance..

but truth is.. im a bit worried.. ;( ..
moncikoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-29, 12:22   Link #690
Tak

Hmm, I am one of those older fans who actually got to see the original SDF Macross on tv. I can tell you already that I am loving the idea. This concept is nothing new. Kawamori had an important role in the making of Escaflowne and the idea of sky cavalry Valks had been floating around for a while, even appearing on a number of his artbooks. We should have seen this coming, really.

- Tak

Last edited by Tak; 2015-10-29 at 13:24.
Old 2015-10-29, 13:15   Link #691
Gravitas Free Zone

While I don't expect to see them for more than a few seconds total during the actual series, I thought it was nice that they put a Marauder Glaug and a couple of Regults into the promo.

Otherwise it looks like a tossed salad made from bits of six or seven other series. I'm going to avoid having any other opinion until I know more.
Gravitas Free Zone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-29, 19:22   Link #692
Oboro

Quote:
Originally Posted by moodie View Post
question, do i have to watch the previous series or can i dive into this and work my way backwards
For SDF Macross i belive is too much for the ones who don't like vintage series.

btw here what you need if you decide to see the previous works

- Macross: do you remember love? (movie: 145 min) 31 years ago but with a wonderfull hand-made animation, not bad even today, covers in a slighty different way the first series story, al least you know Hikaru, Minmei, Hayase and Focker
- Macross plus (movie: 115 min or 4x27 min ova) i prefer the movie with with approximately 20 minutes of new and alternative footage mostly at the end of the story.
- OPTIONAL, imho, macross 7 is a long story 49 ep +7 ovas, some ppl love it, someone else hate it, and other ones belive that is a strange story, is up to you
- Macross zero (5x30 min ova) prequel to the first series, but as previoulsy told, assuming that the audience already watched SDF Macross
- Macross frontier: Itsuwari no Utahime 120 min + Sayonara no Tsubasa 114 min

you can cover a lot with barely the time of 5 movies (the time you'll use to watch a 25 ep series), more if you decide to see macross 7, and obviously, much more if you like to watch the 33 year old show SDF Macross (do you remember love? movie isn't the same but is better than nothing and it is a very good movie)

in every macross series there are a lot of references and a continuity, you can see every series as the first one, but you'll miss a lot and you'll enjoy a lot more if you have seen all the previous works
so yes i belive that you need to try to see some previous Macross Shows, in other words it isn't like the Gundam franchise where you can start with Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans that is in the Post Disaster Era , an alternate timeline and stand-alone , from the Universal Century, the Mobile Suit Gundam 079 one

Last edited by Oboro; 2015-10-29 at 20:26.
Oboro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-29, 20:14   Link #693
stray
Speedy Sea Cucumber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oboro View Post
- OPTIONAL, imho, macross 7 is a long story 49 ep and a many ovas, some ppl love it, someone else hate it, and other ones belive that is a strange story, is up to you
Eh... calling Macross 7 "optional" is probably half the reason portions of the fandom are having a meltdown right now. If people don't like it that's fine but it's every bit as defining of the franchise as Super Dimension Fortress Macross was.
stray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-29, 20:18   Link #694
dmaxzero

Quote:
Originally Posted by stray View Post
Eh... calling Macross 7 "optional" is probably half the reason portions of the fandom are having a meltdown right now. If people don't like it that's fine but it's every bit as defining of the franchise as Super Dimension Fortress Macross was.
I think he wrote that in the context it's a very long show to watch with lots of side materials. For someone who wants to catch up, it indeed can be seen as optional.
No need to get stingy.
Old 2015-10-29, 20:21   Link #695
Oboro

Quote:
well i know but many many ppl dislike, you'll love or you hate it and ...

Quote:
I think he wrote that in the context it's a very long show to watch with lots of side materials. For someone who wants to catch up, it indeed can be seen as optional.
No need to get stingy.
precisely, ty.
Old 2015-10-29, 20:24   Link #696
stray
Speedy Sea Cucumber

Quote:
No need to get stingy.
Macross FB7 is a thing... that actually does exist if you just want to recap.

Its not the first time I've heard 7 referred to as "optional" if you can't tell.
Old 2015-10-29, 20:31   Link #697
Oboro

Quote:
Macross FB7 is a thing... that actually does exist if you just want to recap.

Its not the first time I've heard 7 referred to as "optional" if you can't tell.
Calm down, i wrote that for someone who wants to catch up, and if he don't like it like many many ppl do, can skip it and he DON'T need to see a 56 ep (49+7 ova) series to catch up.

I watched it, i liked it, but i know that many ppl wanna avoid it becuse is a bit atypical and grotesque. Never said that is a side story or stuff.

i liked also the 33 years old SDF Macross first series and i watched it again not so many times ago, but well, i don't belive that so many ppl like to watch TODAY a 33 years old series with some animation problems (the famous ep 11) and the quality of the animation that goes up and down , thats why i don't suggest it NOW and to a macross newcomer who wanna to catch up, and, better than nothing, i suggested Macross: do you remember love? perfect edition, the 145 minutes one, is a good way to start.

And Obv those are my opinions, so no need to get stingy

Last edited by Oboro; 2015-10-29 at 20:46.
Old 2015-10-29, 20:44   Link #698
stray
Speedy Sea Cucumber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oboro View Post
I watched it, i liked it, but i know that many ppl wanna avoid it becuse is a bit atypical and grotesque
...are you actually reading what you're writing?

Macross FB7 is a 90 minute movie featuring Frontier characters that recaps the events of Macross 7. You could have just as easily recommended that. I suggest you do in the future.
Old 2015-10-29, 20:52   Link #699
Oboro

Quote:
...are you actually reading what you're writing?

Macross FB7 is a 90 minute movie featuring Frontier characters that recaps the events of Macross 7. You could have just as easily recommended that. I suggest you do in the future.
i talked about M7 not about FB7

I can't write what is FB7 or i become unpolite but it isn't just a recap of M7

again, in my opinion, better skip M7 and try to watch it all later if you like it, than watching that 90 min s**t as mandatory , or we can also suggest "Macross Flashback 2012" as a first season recap.

but what's your point? Any other purpose than to suggestin me what and how to suggest to someone in a childish way? You can write the same thing without being so asshole?

you don't like my suggestion? i don't care
you want just to flame? try someone else i don't care.

Last edited by Oboro; 2015-10-29 at 21:16.
Old 2015-10-29, 21:20   Link #700
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Ok people, calm down.

Don't get mad and defensive over a non-issue like this. Recommendations have been laid out, now just let moodie decides which and how he will watch the previous Macross shows. Then we can move on and continue discussing about Delta and be on-topic, ok?