AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2008-10-05, 15:05   Link #41
aroduc
Ruiner of Things

Crappy OP if you're curious

Copy/paste what Serenade said for me too, just add a few expletives wherever you want.
aroduc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-05, 16:21   Link #42
Jinsoo
KAGEYAMA!!!
*Artist

Send a message via AIM to Jinsoo Send a message via MSN to Jinsoo
Yeah, I was a bit disappointed because I really enjoyed how the OVA handled the series. The style for the TV series kinda urks me at times because some of the facial expressions look rather..awkward.

I'm alright with most of the voice cast. It would've been nice if they kept the OVA cast, but that's ok. However the only voice that I need some getting used to is Kazumi's who's played by Mako. She's got that cute quiet voice but I really liked Mamiko Noto's soft monotone voice in the OVA. It was just a lot more...moe. But if I keep watching, I'll probably get used to it.

I'll watch the 2nd episode for sure. I wanna see how they handle the shed scene D':

Only thing I really liked was how the ED song is Secret Base, one of my favorite songs originally by ZONE.
Jinsoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-05, 21:25   Link #43
frubam
simp for Lyria

Send a message via AIM to frubam
First I want to say that Aihara is WEAK, WEAK, WEAK!!! Instead of sounding stoic, she sounds more shy, which is a disgrace to her char. Second, without the fanservice aspects, this show is nothing more than a kiddie show. This is just a shell of what the manga and OVA is. No panty shots, no Ryouta in perverted situations, no focus on loli skin, nothing.

The animation wasn't even consistent. Up-close face shots looked clean, and the rest of the time, it was sloppy. And if they used the animation style for the manly/mature faces straight from the manga/anime(which were the only precise and detailed animation frames), why didn't they just use the same animation style period? This is just lazy.
frubam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-05, 23:44   Link #44
NakedAngelX

So exact same storyline? That's boring~~~...
The drawing style are worse than the 4 OVA too....
such a let down.
Old 2008-10-06, 06:06   Link #45
Seiryuu

What was THAT? I don't think I can remember the last time I saw such absolutely horrendous character design and animation. Forget the fact that much of the tension, anxiety and humor was originally motivated by stuff they cut out or watered down (for instance, Ryouta's freaking out when the girls grabbed him under the umbrella was originally due to the fact that each arm was pressed hard into the girls' chests...), this is one of the few times when I can actually say the characters look genuinely stupid. I'm not saying the design looks stupid, though it does; I'm saying the way they drew the faces makes the characters look like they're quite a few fries short of a happy meal.
I'll grant that fifth graders' life probably would involve some of the more silly stuff(like the broom guitars), so the created stuff is BELIEVABLE, but there's a big difference between [I]believable[I] and [I]interesting[I].
My current judgment: bad animation, worse storyline(outside of the original stuff), worse new VAs, and much, much worse art design. If I give this a few more episodes, it'll be in hopes that the higher-ups will soon see how bad this is and have those responsible tarred, feathered and quickly replaced with people who actually know what they're doing.
Seiryuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-06, 07:51   Link #46
typhonsentra

Yeah, I'm thinking I might skip this, shame too as it had me pretty excited.
typhonsentra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-06, 12:07   Link #47
Jerseykid

the younger angle is cute
Jerseykid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-06, 12:42   Link #48
Mega-Japan
Capuchuuuuuuuuuu!!!

Send a message via AIM to Mega-Japan Send a message via Yahoo to Mega-Japan
Ok, after watching this first episode, gotta say that the biting girl freaks the hell out of me >_>.

I personally/usually don't like anime about a bunch of random kids fooling around, I find it to be meaningless but this story was kind of interesting.

I wasn't attracted by the different character designs and I don't know if they tried to show some ecchi (the part when the girls' skirt were blown up by the wind from the superballs) but it would really look weird on a bunch of 5 yr olds.

The part of the Broom Guitar was amusing, I wonder why I never tried that myself, hm...

There's no story and no humor either, I think I might skip this anime.

Oh and I actually kind of liked the ending.
I wish Chihiro would do karaoke though, oh well, nothing I can do about that.

Last edited by Mega-Japan; 2008-10-06 at 12:58.
Mega-Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-06, 13:26   Link #49
DmonHiro

Send a message via Yahoo to DmonHiro
That was....for lack of a better word, terrible. Animation was very simple and bad. Voices were way worse then the OVA. The humor was not as good, and the fanservice was zero.

I know it has a less budget....but still....three thumbs down.
DmonHiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-06, 13:30   Link #50
Starks
I see what you did there!
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to Starks
XEBEC ruined Negima. XEBEC ruined Kyou no Go no Ni.
Old 2008-10-06, 14:09   Link #51
Forbin
I'm a sucker for Harem

But XEBEC made ToLoveRu have one of the most MEMORABLE OP's I have ever seen.

I blame the director. Remember Animation Runner Kuronmi 2? It's that guy!

1) By and Large...they are ** and *****.
2) What kind of girls do Anime Otaku males want? ..................... Female.
3) The odds are good, that the goods are odd.
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-06, 15:29   Link #52
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

I guess I'll fall into my normal dissenting role here, as usual. I thought it was pretty good. Part of the credit no doubt goes to the quality of the source material - no one else I've seen writes as smartly or humorously about the everyday lives of kids this age. I also think it suffered in inevitable comparison to the OVAs, which were obviously a league above in terms of animation quality and aimed at a more mature demographic. But taken on it's own, I find the first ep perfectly pleasant and sometimes quite funny.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-06, 16:05   Link #53
Forbin
I'm a sucker for Harem

Script writer is different than director. Script writting is done LONG before the animation starts.

1) By and Large...they are ** and *****.
2) What kind of girls do Anime Otaku males want? ..................... Female.
3) The odds are good, that the goods are odd.
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-06, 16:08   Link #54
fict_ticious
I can has drinks?

Wow, that wasn't... very good at all. I'll give this until 3 before I decide to dump it.
fict_ticious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-06, 16:22   Link #55
Zippicus

Eh, it made me laugh, and at the end of the day that's all that really matters in my book. I'll definitely be watching the rest of the series.
Zippicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-06, 17:53   Link #56
npal
I desire Tomorrow!

Tsk... the OVAs were so nice, too... Like the censored the whole thing. But of course, the WORSE part is the designs... I actually thought of just skipping it entirely instead of watching... And I felt like I was watching the OVAs again, only much crappier... The jokes aren't even funny anymore... I'll watch one more ep and then decide. But I was kinda disappointed, I had high hopes for it, based on the OVAs... >.<
Old 2008-10-06, 19:57   Link #57
Sparrow1770
Avian Member

3 of the 4 periods were also in the OVA series (tooth, superball, rain). The OVA did them better. What was the purpose of doing them over? The other (guitars) was new. It went on too long and wasn't very funny.

This is reminiscent what happened with Minami-ke Okawari. But at least Okawari wasn't a rehash of previously aired episodes. This new version of 5-2 makes Okawari seem like a masterpiece.

The next episode looks like it will have 3 out of 4 repeats as well (Cat's Paw, Undefeated, Wet Clothes). I will watch just to make sure I'm not being overly critical. But I'm not going to sit through 13 episodes of this (like I did with Okawari) in the vain hope it will get better.
Sparrow1770 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-06, 20:01   Link #58
Kushi

Mmm haven't watched the OVA for this but just watched the first episode. I found this to be incredibly cute and I loved the first episode. I should probably check out the OVA if people claim it to be that much better
Kushi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-06, 20:03   Link #59
npal
I desire Tomorrow!

I actually kinda liked Okawari. Sure it wasn't like the first season, but it was cute enough and yeah, definitely not a rehash.

Actually my main problem is the character design. I couldn't seem to get used to them. The eyes are plain weird and the animation quality is low. I COULD bear 13 eps in hopes of finding some jokes if the animation was decent. But seeing as the ones repeated aren't funny anymore and I hate the designs... I might actually be dropping it. No need to tarnish my KnGnN OVA memories.
Old 2008-10-06, 20:41   Link #60
Kristen
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mega-Japan View Post
Oh and I actually kind of liked the ending.
I wish Chihiro would do karaoke though, oh well, nothing I can do about that.
Not until the CD is released.

Tags
comedy, seinen