AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Toradora!

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-12-06, 20:36   Link #181
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Eh. My point still stands.
Old 2008-12-06, 22:36   Link #182
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by frubam View Post
The chars are woven together in such a way that if certain minor circumstances were different, it could greatly affect the outcome. Example: In ep 9, when Ami asked to go to the beach. If Minorin didn't ask him to help wash the dishes, the whole Minori/Ryuuji talk would have been avoided. With Ami and Ryuuji being alone, she could have said something akin to what she said in ep 10, w/o the distractions. This could mean +pts for Ami/Ryuuji and 0pts for Minorin/Ryuuji rather than +pts for Ryuuji/Minori and -pts for Ryuuji/Ami. I feel that the "After Story"s capitalize on this fact and I enjoy a slightly different perspective of the same circumstances.
I will agree that Toradora is a story in which mere seconds make major differences in how life plays out. Its also good at showing how nothing happens in isolation, all the character interactions are interwoven.
Ami's influence as a catalyst is critical to the story and I'm glad the author gives Ami as much respect as the other characters.
Old 2008-12-07, 00:53   Link #183
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

Forgot to mention, a screen that was quite surprised me in Ep 10 is:
Spoiler for ep 10:

.....but based on what i see, then: since when have they became that close? It does need a strong relationship for you to make random (and silly) joke at your friend, and have her appreciating that.
I expect the anime comparing to the novel is kind of rushing, so we probably miss a lots of things. But only those few secs really make AmixRuuji pairing become so much more natural.

Then i have been wondering how everyone opinions/predictions would be if Ami become the main character while every events still going on as what has been happening:
"Ami, a two-faces magazine model, after being helped by Ruuyji, a "delinquent" in her class, had started to fall in love with him. However Ruyji have already had a love interest and currently also helping another girl to get close to Ami's childhood friend. How is this complex relationship would be sorted out..."
Old 2008-12-07, 01:09   Link #184
Caster13
=^_^=

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar3110 View Post
Forgot to mention, a screen that was quite surprised me in Ep 10 is:
Spoiler for ep 10:

.....but based on what i see, then: since when have they became that close? It does need a strong relationship for you to make random (and silly) joke at your friend, and have her appreciating that.
It's a wonderful example of Ami being insightful, perceptive, and right. It's a sort of comfort level between joking, playful--even--friends that's rapidly developed between Ami and Ryuuji. One that's developed in a few months where as such a thing has never developed between Minori and Ryuuji despite Ryuuji knowing Minori for a full year longer.

I thought it an incredibly bittersweet scene because I imagined it raises Ami's expectations, making her want more of that kind of interaction with Ryuuji.
Old 2008-12-07, 03:01   Link #185
Voitan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
See, this isn't the Kawashima Ami Appreciation topic anymore.

This is the "we want an unrealistic and internally inconsistent ending because we're hard for Ami" topic.

Could we please discuss something OTHER than our favorite pairing?
Appreciation, discussion, topic, character, whatever, I'd rather people talk than not, so long it was related to Ami in some way, so long as people kept a positive attitude to what people are talking about.
Old 2008-12-07, 12:47   Link #186
Joachim
et tu, brute?

girls like ami is the one that make boys curious about her..

and obviously attracted to her

i definitely going for ami if i was ryuji.. alas like some has said, this is toradora not amidora, abandon all hope

and yea ami is my favourite character beside ryuji (one hell of a guy) bad, teaser girl and duh..she's kinda like the total opposite of tsundere, any meme for that?
Old 2008-12-08, 02:28   Link #187
Pellissier
♪~ Daydreaming ~♪
*Graphic Designer
*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irenicus View Post
NEVAAR!

We shall defend our shipping
Sorry but NO. Blatant shipping was just the last step this thread was missing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thread Guidelines

No campaigning!

No "hate" or "xyz must die" posts. Discuss why you do or don't like characters without whining and whining or blatantly campaigning for your favourite.
Campaign and shippings are forbidden here. A bunch of recent post have been deleted and still will be in the future if they'll continue. Don't force me to start handling infractions.

Please be respectful of the people who wants to enjoy this show without having to assist to pontless "wars".
Old 2008-12-08, 02:38   Link #188
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Ah. For some reason, the world seems just a bit brighter.
Old 2008-12-08, 02:53   Link #189
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

^Schadenfreude, eh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pellissier View Post
Sorry but NO. Blatant shipping was just the last step this thread was missing.
Yeesh, it was just a joke. I thought it was quite obvious I wasn't exactly going to flame everybody who disagreed with me for no apparent reason.

But no matter, I didn't see the rules, and now I see it. As I was saying in the last post, though, why the certainty of the impossibility of this potential? Is it novel spoilers from the Japanese readers (no, don't post it here), or is it the name? The romantic comedy experience giving the gut feeling?

Because I think people say it's likely going to get more dramatic from now on, and so far Toradora hasn't been nearly as predictable as I would have thought, so you know, things might change.

Not all authors plan out their courses from beginning to end, after all.
Old 2008-12-08, 03:18   Link #190
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

You know, for some reason, I have a low opinion of authors who don't go into a story with a clear plan, simply because them not knowing what they eventually hope to do gives a series a lack of, well, direction.

And then there are the authors that listen to their what their fans want. This always ends badly. See: School Rumble.

Also, as to the answer for your question, I'll PM you.
Old 2008-12-08, 03:58   Link #191
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
Also, as to the answer for your question, I'll PM you.
Oh s- I see what you mean now -- thanks for the PM by the way.

But still, Ami is a smart and very attractive girl. I'm sure she'll think of something, and if not, we are at least guaranteed that she did what she had to do and grow up from a girl who can't admit she's too cool to act airheaded to be [clichéd statement] a wonderful woman* [/clichéd statement]. Until then, I'll enjoy her teasing Takasu and his deer-caught-in-a-headlight reactions (dude, just take her in your arms and fly away!).

*given its uses when it pops up in shoujo...

Last edited by Pellissier; 2008-12-09 at 03:27. Reason: Discussing School Rumble is off topic here
Old 2008-12-08, 19:01   Link #192
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

Ami is my second favorite Toradora girl and it is so because of her personality. Having a nice body helps too, of course.

EDIT:

Damn, I feel that my grammar level there is a bit lower than usual. >_<

Last edited by Pellissier; 2008-12-09 at 03:28. Reason: removed off topic part
Old 2008-12-08, 19:09   Link #193
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Ami has, probably, the most interesting personality of the lot of them by really having "three faces" or more rather than just two. We still have some secrets of Minorin though and Sumire is pretty much blank to us so far other than her delightful speech delivery and interaction with Taiga. While Taiga is also interesting - other than her backstory, we pretty much know how she ticks. I'm assuming those are her parents we see in the last ep's previews so more enlightenment to come.
The biggest blank in the anime version of the characters remains Kitamura. I keep wondering if he's got the "white knight" flaw of just being fairly boring as a character.

PS: aieee, Daniel E., where did Valky go? Replacing her with some dancing fujoshi harlot???

Last edited by Vexx; 2008-12-09 at 00:28.
Old 2008-12-09, 03:13   Link #194
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx
Ami has, probably, the most interesting personality of the lot of them by really having "three faces" or more rather than just two...The biggest blank in the anime version of the characters remains Kitamura. I keep wondering if he's got the "white knight" flaw of just being fairly boring as a character.
Just three?

And I speculate -- with zero novel knowledge, just in case -- that Kitamura knows something important about Ami's past (they're childhood friends after all) and how she came to adapt the Ami-chan mask. I think if done right it could both be a character development on Ami and Kitamura at the same time, especially why he does what he does, which so far is kind of not making too much sense all else considering.

Because while Kawashima is definitely human in a sense: once we know her, we know (as you said) what makes her so awesome. Kitamura, on the other hand, is on the far weird side of humanity, or, well, anime character-y.

But really, what could have forced Ami to adopt the Ami-chan mask? Despite her flirtatious front, I get this feeling that she's very very reserved [aww moment in one of the earlier episodes: lonely Ami sitting in a corner...until our Takasu showed up! =)], so it should have been something quite personal.

Last edited by Pellissier; 2008-12-09 at 03:28. Reason: if you don't want it to be read, then use PMs - removed.
Old 2008-12-09, 03:48   Link #195
Pellissier
♪~ Daydreaming ~♪
*Graphic Designer
*Administrator

I'm quite tired of having to deal with this thread every single day. All the off topic posts in the last 24 hours have been deleted.

- Don't discuss School Rumble here, it is not the place (it's Kawashima Ami and not Sawachika Eri) and it's spoilerous for those who might not have seen it.

- As for the shipping itself, I hope the point has been gotten. It is not permitted, because there will always be someone who will get overboard. That is almost scientifically proven, and is absolutely not allowable on AnimeSuki, where we use to condemn any kind of personal attacks and conflicts.
Not providing to said conflicts a huge starting point (as a shipping war would be) is a necessary step.

- Not particularly happy to do so, but since all my previous warnings haven't been received at all, and it doesn't seem people have much to tell about Ami, this thread is going to close until the next episode (11) airs. One day and a bit. I hope that when it will reopen, the posts will be back on track.

EDIT: Episode 11 aired, thread reopened

Last edited by Pellissier; 2008-12-10 at 14:20. Reason: Thread reopened
Old 2008-12-11, 13:42   Link #196
stormy001_M1A2

Send a message via MSN to stormy001_M1A2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irenicus View Post
Just three?

But really, what could have forced Ami to adopt the Ami-chan mask? Despite her flirtatious front, I get this feeling that she's very very reserved [aww moment in one of the earlier episodes: lonely Ami sitting in a corner...until our Takasu showed up! =)], so it should have been something quite personal.
You have to remember one thing; she is in profession of modeling and acting which required a lot layers of mask. You cannot be honest or 100 percent pure in these line of work, most people in this industry are pretentious and has a lot of front to it. I am struck by so many posters did not see her profession is the major force which might shaped up her "mask", not just her natural personality (the old nurture versus nature). In the line of work where a simple malicious rumor can be the end of your career, Ami somewhat has to able to adopt a very high standards of self preservation and conduct to survive. I knew this since I do have a good friend who is in the modeling/acting line who acted very different with other people and me. She is a typical fun loving girl who giggles a lot with me but in front of other people, she is a prim, courteous, professional and yet distant.

In this narrative despite her disdain for Taiga who can see thru her and call her bluff, she is actually envious of Taiga for her lack of need to be put up fronts. You might recall her irritation when she mentioned she has a lot of work during her holidays, it could be after meeting up Taiga....she find it difficult to maintain her facade like last time since she find more self honesty is more refreshing than old guarded self. It is noticeable too that Ami actually willing to put up with Taiga's sharp tongue despite her backlashes so there is a disgruntled yet resonating admiration between these 2 forceful females.
Old 2008-12-12, 03:48   Link #197
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

Quote:
It is noticeable too that Ami actually willing to put up with Taiga's sharp tongue despite her backlashes so there is a disgruntled yet resonating admiration between these 2 forceful females.
Good notice there

About Ep 11:
Spoiler for Ep 11:
Old 2008-12-12, 15:37   Link #198
typhonsentra

What's funny is that she'll reveal her real intentions in front of people freely now and they still don't care, basically ignoring it when it pops out.
Old 2008-12-12, 17:19   Link #199
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Episode 11 shows us the "new improved Ami" .... some of the background chatter in the classroom shows some of the class is noticing her new less cloying manner as well.

It must be refreshing for her just to be able to say what she thinks.
Old 2008-12-12, 23:23   Link #200
stormy001_M1A2

Send a message via MSN to stormy001_M1A2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Episode 11 shows us the "new improved Ami" .... some of the background chatter in the classroom shows some of the class is noticing her new less cloying manner as well.

It must be refreshing for her just to be able to say what she thinks.
And Ami has no good reason to stay in the school after the stalker incident. Why is she sticking around? Just like you said, it is refreshing for her to be herself.

Tags
characters