AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Lucky Star

Notices

Old 2007-08-09, 01:45   Link #2201
truehappiness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Heh.... (hi...) check the discussion in ep 18.

So far the only data at all is an assertion by the afk irc channel mod in a post (bayoab in the ep 18 thread) and the title of the irc channel itself.

The only verifiable data is that a.f.k. seems to have dropped it. And unless we get a news release or something more verifiable - its still unlicensed.
For now we do have the G. folks and I hope the EnA group starts up again after summer break.

Otherwise, I'll just save my pennies for the eventual licensing.
It looks more like a translator went on vacation, but a lot of users on afk seem to be sick of people coming in and asking, so there's a kick script for people who come in and ask..

It's likely that they've still got Lucky Star, as there's no reason that they'd just do it without any notice..

UNSPEAKABLE
truehappiness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-09, 01:57   Link #2202
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Heh.... see now that makes sense. I suppose it could be the caveat that "any buzz is good buzz" but really.. most people are fine with "translator on vacation, please stand by for a few weeks".

Bayoab is usually pretty straight forward, but his cryptic "the information is factually correct" when compared to the irc subject line which is a bit oblique tends to raise the "you've been pranked" estimate value They also haven't actually used the word "dropped" --- that's been used by all the query posts.
Old 2007-08-10, 05:01   Link #2203
Alesiopdv
True Believer of Haruhi

Actually the epsiode titles seem to be random anime or cultural references that had nothing to do with the episode. For example episode one is titled "The Girl who Runs Swiftly" Tsuppashiru Onna in reference to El Cazador de la Bruja, but that title has no relation to that episode. It doesnt even really apply to Konata because she is not that much of a runner.

Anyone here watchs Sayonara Sad Sensei? The anime version has a lot of Lucky Star references.
Alesiopdv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-10, 06:24   Link #2204
bayoab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alesiopdv View Post
Actually the epsiode titles seem to be random anime or cultural references that had nothing to do with the episode.
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding is the titles are randomly picked from one of the titles of the 4koma used in the episode.
bayoab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-10, 07:53   Link #2205
kenjiharima
Mizore-chan

we never seen Konata cried...there's no feeling of sadness in the anime nor the manga.

Ever since seeing the Angel Mom Kanata and Kona-chan pic. Kinda move me...in tears it so beautiful. If I can give 100 cookies to Shana~ for posting that I would
Old 2007-08-10, 09:41   Link #2206
That was embarrasing...

Hey there! I am new around here, but I liked so much this hread that I inmediatly registered. Let's talk about Lucky Star!!!
I have read your posts anout the relationship between Tsukasa and Shiaraishi, and it makes lot of sense... But, there is one thing that may end this discussion, and it is the answer given to Konata by Tsukasa the moment when they are talking about nicknames... (although it is episode number 10, a little early). When Konata asks what would she call Shiraisi, she says "Doesn't matter", or something like that...
What do you think about all of this? Please, reply!
Forgive about my english, he he!!
723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-10, 09:57   Link #2207
Claies
Good-Natured Asshole.

Uh...wow. So under all this 4-koma plot nothingness, there is a hidden love story under it all, and it's between a seiyuu and basically a human mascot. Like some sort of reality show, only it's very, very real.

So...now it's all up in the air. When Shirashi helped Kagami with her handkerchief, he was probably trying to get close to Tsukasa at the same time. However, we still haven't figured out who Shirashi is really after. Remember when Konata tried to peek into Kagami's phone?

Konata: "It's a man. Definitely a man."
Kagami: "No it's not!"

Wait a second...was he trying to ask Kagami what Tsukasa's doing, or...was he after BOTH?
Claies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-10, 10:48   Link #2208
kenjiharima
Mizore-chan

Shiraishi x all the girls real and Lucky Star!!! FTW!!! (Iam a harem guy sorry)

Well well seems the girls real or anime have the hots for Shiraishi...what about Miyuki? There's signs from her that she likes Shiraishi...or is it well hidden in the episodes? One thing is for sure Konata is the first main girl character one to talk to Shiraishi...Sebastian and is it really Shiraishi that she huged when she was imagining? GET YOU!!!

Who knows...maybe the DVD versions will give a special to the real things happening behind the scenes.
Old 2007-08-10, 13:56   Link #2209
Risaa
Evil Little Pixie

Send a message via AIM to Risaa
Quote:
Actually the epsiode titles seem to be random anime or cultural references that had nothing to do with the episode. For example episode one is titled "The Girl who Runs Swiftly" Tsuppashiru Onna in reference to El Cazador de la Bruja, but that title has no relation to that episode. It doesnt even really apply to Konata because she is not that much of a runner.
Haha, I do that with blog posts all the time. I like to pick out an off-the-wall title that has nothing to do with the post but is a reference, just so people will comment, "heeeey, isn't your title from ___? <_<"
Quote:
Anyone here watchs Sayonara Sad Sensei? The anime version has a lot of Lucky Star references.
I must be blind, because I've only caught one or two L*S references in it so far. I don't mind if they add a few but if they start adding L*S references left and right, I'm going to be annoyed and disappointed. However, I don't see that happening so I'm not particularly worried.
Risaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-10, 14:23   Link #2210
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Aye... I do hope burying the original content under random outside references doesn't become a trend of any kind. Used sparingly, its delicious -- used repeatedly, it becomes "what? beans again????!"
Old 2007-08-13, 12:09   Link #2211
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:

Hmmmm...... and I thought the reason I saw so many familiar faces their was only because a.f.k was doing it. That's one of those series I've found that was blown up with a lot of hype that I didn't really care for much.

I swear though the anime industry is slowing eating itself with this referencing, it's like every show wants to be Family Guy now.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-13, 13:12   Link #2212
kenjiharima
Mizore-chan

It works as good marketing, but if one show or another over does it it's gonna get common.

But Lucky Star has every right to do it!!! One reason the main character is an otaku girl named Konata who likes anime stuff and games alot.

But what about parodies from movies?
Old 2007-08-13, 13:51   Link #2213
FireChick

I showed my best friend the opening on YouTube and she said that Nanako looked like Ed from FullMetal Alchemist. I was surprised by that. I bet ADV should get this if it gets licensed.
FireChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-13, 13:55   Link #2214
Risaa
Evil Little Pixie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireChick View Post
I bet ADV should get this if it gets licensed.
What basis do you have for that statement? XD
Old 2007-08-13, 14:14   Link #2215
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Just wishful thinking?

Bandai-America has Suzumiya Haruhi series... and with the forceful product tie-in, it would be almost astounding if Bandai didn't also do Lucky*Star's english anime release.

If I were the owner of Bandai, I'd probably shoot anyone who screwed up those negotiations It should be interesting though watching the dance between Kadokawa, Bandai, and KyoAni.

Last edited by Vexx; 2007-08-13 at 14:28.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-13, 16:09   Link #2216
AVPlaya
なんでやろう?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenjiharima View Post
It works as good marketing, but if one show or another over does it it's gonna get common.

But Lucky Star has every right to do it!!! One reason the main character is an otaku girl named Konata who likes anime stuff and games alot.

But what about parodies from movies?
The whole show is a current Japanese pop culture parody. There's parody/references from almost every part of current Japanese life, but we only see the otaku stuff here because that's all most people know. That's why I started to write my ref list because some references are designed to stump the otakus (TV shows and sports being the most frequently used.)

I don't have a problem with KyoAni/Kadokawa product placement in the show - Lucky Star was CREATED to push products in a Kadokawa magazine and Haruhi is like a sister show to Lucky Star. In the Japanese culture, the IN group is supposed to be looking out for the other member of the group. Lucky Star referencing Kadokawa manga/magazines and KyoAni anime is acceptable. Unlike the product placement that's rampant in US TV and movies, most of the L*S references are actually funny. The promotion of other companies like the Animate stores is a bit questionable for me, but at least I thought they did a good job. The Anime Tenchou sections are mostly good.

Again, people, before you think KyoAni is some hot shot company - only a few years ago KyoAni is a little known shop in the middle of animation desert (Kyoto is not a hot bed of animation industry). It faces stiff competition and discrimination from larger, more established Tokyo houses and it usually gets filler works or sub-par OVAs. It's it only recently it became an otaku favorite. They still face some of the same issue they've faced before like Kanto snobbery, so I don't blame them for doing everything they can to promote their sister properties. Kadokawa is in a similar place facing competition from Japan's Big Three publishing houses. Again, I don't blame them one bit.

Lucky Star is a VERY Japanese show made with Japanese cultural ethics. We should not use our gaijin eyes to judge them when it comes to product placement/promotions. I personally love the references to death and the effect it has on otakus - I can imagine many of them just start reading a economic book by an accountant and mainstream TV shows about smart cats and dogs just because of Lucky Star. L*S have have single handedly brought many otaku out of hikkomori-dom and back to the real world again.
AVPlaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-13, 16:20   Link #2217
Risaa
Evil Little Pixie

When L*S first started I had to get each episode as soon as possible, but now it's become sort of a deal in which I'll watch the raw if I'm in the mood to make avatars, and as for subs? Eh, forget about them. I haven't watched any subs since episode eight or nine, I catch a random raw every now and then...

Call me unfair, unreasonable, dumb, whatever.... I can't "make" myself like all the product placement like most people do. You're being reasonable and bringing up good points, but I still can't force myself to like it. (Kind of like, "this curry uses the freshest ingredients and a special spicy sauce - everyone loves it and for good reasons!"... Sorry, I still hate curry. ) So, I'm just going to accept that I'm weird and get on with it. I'll watch all of L*S completely sometime... probably when all the hype is over.
Old 2007-08-13, 16:27   Link #2218
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
Actually the episode titles seem to be random anime or cultural references that had nothing to do with the episode. For example episode one is titled "The Girl who Runs Swiftly" Tsuppashiru Onna in reference to El Cazador de la Bruja, but that title has no relation to that episode. It doesnt even really apply to Konata because she is not that much of a runner.... Anyone here watches Sayonara Sad Sensei? The anime version has a lot of Lucky Star references.
In fact, Konata is a great runner, as shown in that episode (ep1). I'm sorry to say that I believe your point is actually quite incorrect, and every episode title does have some relevance to the episode, whatever outside references it may or may not have. That ep1's title would refer to El Cazador is unlikely, since the two shows both began airing in April.

But I am watching Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei, and loving both the show and the various references in it, including those to LS.

On the matter of references, I finally noticed the string of "special thanks" in the end credits, which seem to cover some of the companies one might consider offended against. Such as Gundam Ace Publishers, Type-Moon, and Kasukabe Kyouei High School, for ep19. Of course, GOTT and the SOS-Dan are in there, too....
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.

Last edited by Kaoru Chujo; 2007-08-13 at 16:45.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-13, 17:23   Link #2219
Urotsukidoji
*IT Support

If anyone, Bandai should license it. With the just-about constant Haruhi references, any other company just wouldn't seem right...

And for the record, Nanako Kuroi really looks nothing like Edward Elric, due to the completely different eye color, hair length and style, clothing, gender, and overall body structure. Besides, do you actually see Kuroi strutting around with an automail arm? :P
Urotsukidoji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-13, 17:40   Link #2220
Risaa
Evil Little Pixie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urotsukidoji View Post
And for the record, Nanako Kuroi really looks nothing like Edward Elric, due to the completely different eye color, hair length and style, clothing, gender, and overall body structure. Besides, do you actually see Kuroi strutting around with an automail arm? :P
lol!! Funny mental picture.

I can see the resemblance though - it's mostly the blond bangs and the style of them, but they also have a similar "eye style" (the way their eyes are drawn are more similar than Edward's and Tsukasa's, for example). This is coming from someone who's seen a total of two episodes of FMA so maybe a hardcore fan will disagree.

Tags
comedy, comptiq, kadokawa, school life, seinen