AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2009-05-04, 22:08   Link #1
Justin Kim
*Artist

Question regarding the pen tool of Photoshop CS3

Recently I started photoshopping again to make anime signatures out of renders. Anyhow, I completely forgot how to use the pen tool when creating vector-like signatures with renders that I choose. Anyhow I was wondering how to produce the same effect this person did with his pen tool, the creation of making these curvy lines and then filling them in with matching colors from the render.

Here's the link:
http://jounin-neji.deviantart.com/ar...orial-84169222
~You have to click on the picture to maximize the tutorial.

The steps I do not get are: Step 4 and 5, do you have to create a new layer for each pen shape and filling you do? Or do you just create the shapes using the pen tool on one layer without creating a new one? Do you need to duplicate the previous layer that you inserted your render w/the gradient tool?

My main question is this: How do you create the shapes that work with the flow using the pen tool? I have honestly looked everywhere for the past 3 hours on Google, and all I got was "creating cool shapes using pen tool" or something like that, which really didn't help me, since the instructions were really broad. Can anyone post up a tutorial? Or at least tell me how to use the pen tool to create these shapes that flow with the signature? Examples of what I am talking about are circled and in Step 4 and 5.
Old 2009-05-05, 04:11   Link #2
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Location: In Maya world, where all is 3D and everything crashes
Do you remember the basics of pentooling? the movement this person made was an easy one, but in case you don't remember:

simple click (make first check point = start of your line) and on the second click (second checkpoint) you drag, if the line starts bending in a way you don't want it to simply let go and hold alt while you drag one of the 2 lines that each made point spreads out to make the bend you want, with pentool each line has 2 halves, one on each check point side and with alt you see a line across it if yo hold alt then you can edit the lines on one of each side by dragging it closer/away or around the checkpoint, doing this results that the line starts bending in another form so that is how you can make things fit perfectly the way you want them to be

I must add that the tutorial isn't one of the best when it comes to explaining things but I figured step 4 and 5 for you out and if you want I can up a small example psd file in which I used it

at step 4 you have 3 layers, highest is your vector, 2nd your vector in a color and then your canvas (may vary if you have made multiple colored vectors)
what you do is make a new layer on top of you canvas this is where you put the shape in with pentool and when I did this I found that the style was already similar to the vector layer, but anyway just like you did with the colored layer after you make the shape you go into the layer effects (double click layer) and turn on drop shadow, you sue the same settings as the colored version of your vector (100% opacity and the mode set to normal), if you want the black -> white function you just turn on gradient overlay int he same menu and set it to either radical or linear depending on the form of your pentool made shape

basically the flowing shapes were made in a layer between the colored vectors and the canvas layer, again to make a shape that flows simply set a first point somewhere underneath your vector (in the new layer ofc), set an other one where outside your image range and drag it, not happy then you can always re edit it by pressing alt and dragging the two lines

edit:
for each shape you make a new layer so they don't run over each other and if you think that you could've just done this int he vector layer then too bad cause shop makes a new layer for your shape automatically

hope that helps, also ctrl+z also helps in badly messed up situations
though I don't agree with every pentool option photoshop has, for penning I prefer using illustrator but for things like this photoshop is more appropriate because of the effects, if you want to vector things yourself then I would suggest Illustrator
-KarumA- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-05, 06:11   Link #3
Justin Kim
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by -KarumA- View Post
Do you remember the basics of pentooling? the movement this person made was an easy one, but in case you don't remember:

simple click (make first check point = start of your line) and on the second click (second checkpoint) you drag, if the line starts bending in a way you don't want it to simply let go and hold alt while you drag one of the 2 lines that each made point spreads out to make the bend you want, with pentool each line has 2 halves, one on each check point side and with alt you see a line across it if yo hold alt then you can edit the lines on one of each side by dragging it closer/away or around the checkpoint, doing this results that the line starts bending in another form so that is how you can make things fit perfectly the way you want them to be

I must add that the tutorial isn't one of the best when it comes to explaining things but I figured step 4 and 5 for you out and if you want I can up a small example psd file in which I used it

at step 4 you have 3 layers, highest is your vector, 2nd your vector in a color and then your canvas (may vary if you have made multiple colored vectors)
what you do is make a new layer on top of you canvas this is where you put the shape in with pentool and when I did this I found that the style was already similar to the vector layer, but anyway just like you did with the colored layer after you make the shape you go into the layer effects (double click layer) and turn on drop shadow, you sue the same settings as the colored version of your vector (100% opacity and the mode set to normal), if you want the black -> white function you just turn on gradient overlay int he same menu and set it to either radical or linear depending on the form of your pentool made shape

basically the flowing shapes were made in a layer between the colored vectors and the canvas layer, again to make a shape that flows simply set a first point somewhere underneath your vector (in the new layer ofc), set an other one where outside your image range and drag it, not happy then you can always re edit it by pressing alt and dragging the two lines

edit:
for each shape you make a new layer so they don't run over each other and if you think that you could've just done this int he vector layer then too bad cause shop makes a new layer for your shape automatically

hope that helps, also ctrl+z also helps in badly messed up situations
though I don't agree with every pentool option photoshop has, for penning I prefer using illustrator but for things like this photoshop is more appropriate because of the effects, if you want to vector things yourself then I would suggest Illustrator
The penning instructions still seem a bit confusing to me, but the new layers were clearly explained, can you please send the .psd file to me, showing how you did it following these instructions? That would help so much!
Old 2009-05-05, 07:41   Link #4
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Kim View Post
The penning instructions still seem a bit confusing to me, but the new layers were clearly explained, can you please send the .psd file to me, showing how you did it following these instructions? That would help so much!
of course I'll upload the file for you ^^
I just used a random vector found on google to make it, this covers all steps up to the ones you got confused about

http://www.mediafire.com/?0jmmokzynwk

I'll explain pen tool a little better later today because I have to go for work, I'll then make a better understandable summary for you

but basically it is like I said

1. you set your starter point, if you drag now nothing will happen it will only take effect if you set point 2
2. when you set point two and drag you can curve the line that then is formed between the 2 points, you can for example make a round curve
3. if you are unhappy with your curve and have or have not already set up a third point you hold alt and click on the point you want to edit, 2 lines that determine how the curve runs can then be dragged if you hold alt, click and drag while still having alt pressed.
4. the pen tool that has a + can add an extra point in the middle of a line, the pen tool with a minus removes the point you then click on
5. the white arrow (this is at leased the case of Illustrator) allows you to select the pen tool points you've made, you can move them with the white arrow by dragging and if you double click you also see the 2 curve responding lines (this is at leased so in Illustrator the double click -> curve lines option)
6. I know this step is do able in Illustrator not sure if it works in photoshop, if you want to make a straight line but have already made a curved line in the previous made connection points then before you make a new pen tool point you double click on the lastly made one, not sure if in photoshop this results to having the previous line straightened out or if it resets like in Illustrator, it is something worth trying and if you mess up just do ctrl+z or if ctrl+z is no longer possible use the step back method ctrl+alt+z (think it also works on photoshop if you alt+click+drag and hold shift, shif is globally the button to make straight lines or forms that are even on all edges)

just start practicing on some round shapes and use alt, the strategy is very simple if you know how it works I didn't get it either but the more you practice the quicker you understand how everything works as long as you remember what button does what alt is the god button if you work with pen tool
pen tool is a tool that you can use for anything, it is for me the easiest way to colour drawings by simply making a copy with pen tool on a topped layer, but to be able to make the line syou want you need to know what you are doing and how it works otherwise you can have a bitch of a time doing it, I remember 2 years ago I tried to redo one of my scanned drawings with pen tool and I failed miserably because the lines were just too different, after some practice I am now able to do it with ease but it is still a lot of work, also a lot of people tend to use draw paths when working with pen tool I have one as well but hardly use it because it is too small, at internship I was allowed a big one and if you get used to that then the process goes even faster
Old 2009-05-05, 19:28   Link #5
Justin Kim
*Artist

Quote:
of course I'll upload the file for you ^^
I just used a random vector found on google to make it, this covers all steps up to the ones you got confused about

http://www.mediafire.com/?0jmmokzynwk

I'll explain pen tool a little better later today because I have to go for work, I'll then make a better understandable summary for you

but basically it is like I said

1. you set your starter point, if you drag now nothing will happen it will only take effect if you set point 2
2. when you set point two and drag you can curve the line that then is formed between the 2 points, you can for example make a round curve
3. if you are unhappy with your curve and have or have not already set up a third point you hold alt and click on the point you want to edit, 2 lines that determine how the curve runs can then be dragged if you hold alt, click and drag while still having alt pressed.
4. the pen tool that has a + can add an extra point in the middle of a line, the pen tool with a minus removes the point you then click on
5. the white arrow (this is at leased the case of Illustrator) allows you to select the pen tool points you've made, you can move them with the white arrow by dragging and if you double click you also see the 2 curve responding lines (this is at leased so in Illustrator the double click -> curve lines option)
6. I know this step is do able in Illustrator not sure if it works in photoshop, if you want to make a straight line but have already made a curved line in the previous made connection points then before you make a new pen tool point you double click on the lastly made one, not sure if in photoshop this results to having the previous line straightened out or if it resets like in Illustrator, it is something worth trying and if you mess up just do ctrl+z or if ctrl+z is no longer possible use the step back method ctrl+alt+z (think it also works on photoshop if you alt+click+drag and hold shift, shif is globally the button to make straight lines or forms that are even on all edges)

just start practicing on some round shapes and use alt, the strategy is very simple if you know how it works I didn't get it either but the more you practice the quicker you understand how everything works as long as you remember what button does what alt is the god button if you work with pen tool
pen tool is a tool that you can use for anything, it is for me the easiest way to colour drawings by simply making a copy with pen tool on a topped layer, but to be able to make the line syou want you need to know what you are doing and how it works otherwise you can have a bitch of a time doing it, I remember 2 years ago I tried to redo one of my scanned drawings with pen tool and I failed miserably because the lines were just too different, after some practice I am now able to do it with ease but it is still a lot of work, also a lot of people tend to use draw paths when working with pen tool I have one as well but hardly use it because it is too small, at internship I was allowed a big one and if you get used to that then the process goes even faster
Thanks the render explained most of the concepts, but I have yet another question: When you used the pen tool at first, did you get these wierd "figure-8" like shapes that came out?
~ The picture/tutorial that was given to you, how did that person make those defined curves. I am referring to Step 4 where he uses the pen tool to define the flow of where the signature is going, he uses the pen tool to match the curve of Hatsune's hair. Do you know how to do that? I looked at your example, and the pen tool is frustrating me so much, I keep getting these figure "8" like structures or some wierd oblique random curves that seem really complicated and messy.
Old 2009-05-06, 09:00   Link #6
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Kim View Post
Thanks the render explained most of the concepts, but I have yet another question: When you used the pen tool at first, did you get these wierd "figure-8" like shapes that came out?
~ The picture/tutorial that was given to you, how did that person make those defined curves. I am referring to Step 4 where he uses the pen tool to define the flow of where the signature is going, he uses the pen tool to match the curve of Hatsune's hair. Do you know how to do that? I looked at your example, and the pen tool is frustrating me so much, I keep getting these figure "8" like structures or some wierd oblique random curves that seem really complicated and messy.
the person who did this knows how to work with pen tool and simply at step 4 had 3 layers underneath the volcaloid pic where she made those curves with pentool =>

she set the first marker where the vocaloid's head is so it isn't visible, if you imagine that line going further up you can tell around where she placed it, the second marker she placed outside the signature's workspace and dragged it left and up, think it was left and up but anyway she dragged, that is how those lines were made. After those 2 points she set a third point out of bound int he corner, a fourth more to the right of it and then used the picture that is placed in front of these lines to make her way back to the first made marker to close it up so she could easily work with the drop shadow and fill effects

If this person then wanted to edit the curve so that it would fit perfectly to her hair line she would just have to select the marker by double clicking and would just have to use the 2 out coming lines to edit it (edit is done by holding alt while dragging these lines) this function determines the precision of your lines so to make it fit perfectly she later on alt dragged

to explain it a little better here's some basics on pentooling, though this person uses CS4 Flash the basics for pen tool are the same in any adobe program

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLqNu89emnY

you can see in the vid that when he drags he has 2 handles sticking out, if you use the white arrow and drag them both of them with react which is what you don't want, if you pres alt, click and drag you grab one handle.

The vid is some guy pentooling the heads of several cartoon characters which have heads in a round football like shape
Old 2009-05-06, 17:36   Link #7
Justin Kim
*Artist

Quote:
the person who did this knows how to work with pen tool and simply at step 4 had 3 layers underneath the volcaloid pic where she made those curves with pentool =>

she set the first marker where the vocaloid's head is so it isn't visible, if you imagine that line going further up you can tell around where she placed it, the second marker she placed outside the signature's workspace and dragged it left and up, think it was left and up but anyway she dragged, that is how those lines were made. After those 2 points she set a third point out of bound int he corner, a fourth more to the right of it and then used the picture that is placed in front of these lines to make her way back to the first made marker to close it up so she could easily work with the drop shadow and fill effects

If this person then wanted to edit the curve so that it would fit perfectly to her hair line she would just have to select the marker by double clicking and would just have to use the 2 out coming lines to edit it (edit is done by holding alt while dragging these lines) this function determines the precision of your lines so to make it fit perfectly she later on alt dragged

to explain it a little better here's some basics on pentooling, though this person uses CS4 Flash the basics for pen tool are the same in any adobe program

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLqNu89emnY

you can see in the vid that when he drags he has 2 handles sticking out, if you use the white arrow and drag them both of them with react which is what you don't want, if you pres alt, click and drag you grab one handle.

The vid is some guy pentooling the heads of several cartoon characters which have heads in a round football like shape
I am about to watch the vid right now, and see if I can alter this guy's examples to make a shape that will allow me to produce the same curve effect that was seen in the example vector that I gave you. I will post later, if I can't produce the same effect or if something goes wrong, but in the meanwhile you have my thanks so much. +rep.