Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2006-10-12, 14:34   Link #61
ch0bittsu
Translating maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by kari-no-sugata View Post
The Seven Aspects of the Perfect Woman

or something like that - ie to be a perfect (classical Japanese) woman you need 7 particular attributes. I don't remember finding a list of what they actually are though.

Sunako pretty much has the set (most likely), apart from... well... actually wanting to be like a woman.
Yamato Nadeshiko is a flower called a "pink" in english. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dianthus) It also has a connotation of "having all the desirable traits of an ideal woman in ancient Japan."

Shichi is seven (obviously ))

Henge is transformation or metamorphosis.

So the most accurate title I came up with would be, "The seven transformations into a perfect woman." I couldnt find anything that mentioned seven specific traits, but there could be.
ch0bittsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-12, 14:44   Link #62
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I wonder if its also a bit of a play on words ...."7" has some morbid connotations (along with "4") in one of its japanese translations.
Old 2006-10-12, 14:51   Link #63
ch0bittsu
Translating maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
I wonder if its also a bit of a play on words ...."7" has some morbid connotations (along with "4") in one of its japanese translations.
Funnily enough the same kanji for "henge" also means ghost or apparition...

makes you wonder
ch0bittsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-12, 16:24   Link #64
daddygoat

Two thumbs way up.

Did you know the manga-ka is a huge fan of Tim Burton's "The Nightmare Before Christmas"?

Plus Oda is voiced by Sugita Tomokazu (Kyon from SHnY). Gotta love that.
daddygoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-12, 18:19   Link #65
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓

Yes, I noticed that the black-haired guy sounds like Mayama. Yay.

I think this should be moved to the fansubs thread. It was a good first episode, and it would be okay for me should this story proceed akin to 'My Fair Lady,' and hopefully we'll see in the end that Kyouhei and Sunako end up together or dance in a ball or have some open ending regarding the relationships yet still end in such a way that the boys have been successful in finally turning her into a true girl (with some deviations, of course).
physics223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-12, 19:19   Link #66
Matt Soulblade
1000 times better

Oda is voiced by Sugita Tomokazu????? Wow this guy is getting a lot of popularity...
Matt Soulblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-12, 19:42   Link #67
DrewGSR

LOL this show is pretty funny and entertaining. At first i was liek dunno, cuz all the 4 guys are so flashy and feminine i was liek WTF are these guys or girls lol.

Yea shoudl be moved to fansubs now
DrewGSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-13, 00:09   Link #68
Keitaro
*Kyuuketsuki Otaku*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewGSR View Post

Yea shoudl be moved to fansubs now
Done.

Yeah I used to read the manga version of this before it was licensed. It's very amusing. I just adore Sunako's personality. Got ep1 downloaded gonna go see it now. I'll post my thoughts here after I watch it. I hope it lives true to its manga counterpart.
Old 2006-10-13, 02:38   Link #69
Lilith
Your average fangirl

Ep 1
Two reactions: *laughs* and *nosebleeds*.

I share the same opinion of what some users already posted. I've read the manga, enjoyed the comedy, got fed up of the same gags after awhile, lost interest in the end.

It's a matter of personal taste. I like comedy, but not when there's no, uhm, to put it bluntly... romance. I don't remember well, but I think I've read more than 5 volumes and nothing happened with Sunako with any of the boys.
Old 2006-10-13, 04:49   Link #70
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out

Clearly I'm not the only one who thought "Ouran" while watching this, and there's no doubt that the neither the comedy nor animation are anywhere near at the level of Ouran... but this is certainly one of the more intriguing anime of this season.

There were moments that I found really funny, but some of the timing is haphazard. Sometimes it's good, but sometimes jokes either pass too quickly or are too obviously signposted, so it's hard to laugh at them. Signature Nabeshin. I've only seen a few other of his anime (Excel Saga and Poemi) but those are exactly the same criticism I had of them (as well as the fact that neither were consistently funny for the entire length of the series). Sunako's seiyuu is pretty good. I think she nailed her character and really stood out among the rest of the seiyuu cast. She seems like an interesting character as well. The men are... well... seemingly all the same at this stage. I'd imagine they'll become more distinguishable as their characters are slowly built throughout the series, but they each got barely any characterization in this ep.

That hints that this will turn into a romance down the track are there, but I actually think this is a recipe for a fairly unique romance (in anime anyway). Overall, quite intriguing. "Ouran-lite" is the best way to describe this for now, I think.
Sorrow-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-13, 06:34   Link #71
Aidan
Am I bad? Yes... Very X(

A simple marketing ploy, now that ouran has ended, a niche has opened that has to be filled. And why not? But this doesn't seem anything like Ouran anyway. It might seem to be a step down in comedy, but a step up in substance (as in none comedic substance). It will be interesting to see what Sunako becomes, I personally don't like the traditional "Yamato Nadeshiko", well I border line hate that outdated concept. For me Yamato Nadeshiko translates more into something like slave woman (figuratively). But seeing as Sunako's aunt isn't a "Yamato Nadeshiko" it will be interesting to see where this show takes the "Yamato Nadeshiko" type, I hope they update it a bit. What is the perfect woman now a day? Surely not someone who is submissive to a man. Well maybe it still is in Japan, I don't know, would be sad though. We'll just have to see how this show plays out.

So as of ep 1 this anime looks promising, it's still better than almost all other harem shows this season (even though it's not one).
Aidan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-13, 07:39   Link #72
kuromitsu

My problem with Yamato nadeshiko is that while the manga started well enough, it quickly degenerated into the usual bishounen harem fluff (btw, the Ouran manga, too, came dangerously close to this recently, thank god the anime didn't), with cardboard cut-out characters, except for the main girl, and virtually no character or plot development to speak of (as far as I got, anyway). And while I like pretty characters, I don't like harem stuff.

Anyway, I don't think I'll be watching this, but I'll keep an eye on blogs to see if it manages to break away from the manga and become something worth watching.
kuromitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-13, 12:18   Link #73
Matt Soulblade
1000 times better

People dont understand that YMSH is not a harem... The boys (except Takano) are not so interested in Sunako (Oda has Noi/Naie, Yuki has a girlfriend, Ranmaru has a lot :P)... this is not your cookie-cuter shoujo show.
Matt Soulblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-13, 12:46   Link #74
Srin Tuar
無謀

If I have one complaint about episode 2, its that the VA's were screaming more often then they were talking.

There are a lot of frenetic shows this season, but this one is truely loud.
Srin Tuar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-13, 12:47   Link #75
kuromitsu

In my opinion/experience girls' harem show is not necessarily the same as boys' harem, but anyway, harem or not, it is basically a typical bishounen show with one original aspect. It has one girl, half-a-dozen pretty guys (for every taste!), archetypal characters who never really develop distinct personalities aside from their "assigned" traits (in the manga, anyway). The only reason it's not a cookie-cutter bishounen anime is Sunako. Take her eccentric personality away and you have the typical "one girl, many pretty guys who may or may not be interested in her, but that doesn't matter as long as they're pretty" setting.
kuromitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-13, 15:11   Link #76
Keitaro
*Kyuuketsuki Otaku*

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuromitsu View Post
In my opinion/experience girls' harem show is not necessarily the same as boys' harem, but anyway, harem or not, it is basically a typical bishounen show with one original aspect. It has one girl, half-a-dozen pretty guys (for every taste!), archetypal characters who never really develop distinct personalities aside from their "assigned" traits (in the manga, anyway). The only reason it's not a cookie-cutter bishounen anime is Sunako. Take her eccentric personality away and you have the typical "one girl, many pretty guys who may or may not be interested in her, but that doesn't matter as long as they're pretty" setting.
Ok. Keep in mind this is a Shoujo comedy. It is not a harem. As for romance it is hinted in the manga a lot, between Kyohei and Sunako. Yes this may have been a 'cookie cutter' bishounen anime without Sunako but guess what it isn't because Sunako is there and yes I like the manga/anime because she is there. I enjoy her eccentric personality and wacky antics. After all she is the star of the show. I really don't care if it doesn't have much of a plot because I'm not expecting it to have one. Most comedy based anime especially manga don't have much of a plot anyways. Like others have said YNSH is quite similar to Ouran Host Club but the humor is very different. Anyways I liked Ep1, Sunako's seiyuu is great. I look forward to Ep2.
Old 2006-10-13, 16:01   Link #77
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

As someone who likes Nabeshin's humor, I find it very hard to relate to the idea that this anime is "typical" bishounen harem -- or typical of anything but Nabeshin, for that matter. To me, this is a Nabeshin comedy, under the welcome restraint of an original manga that was itself as much crazy comedy as harem.

And the comparison with Ouran also makes little sense to me, except for the bare fact of one girl and several guys. It was just accident that this came out now, it seems to me, considering the lead times necessary for producing an anime. They might have rushed or delayed it one season, I suppose. But I'm no expert in the business of anime, so maybe.

The humor is completely and totally different from Ouran -- and much funnier to me (and perhaps me alone?) than Ouran ever was. Let them scream, I say. Certainly, let's see more of Sunako. I love her voice, and I love the way her personality is developing. I'm sure she will end up dominating the situation, and I'm enjoying watching it happen.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-13, 16:40   Link #78
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I'm a bit with Kaoru here after seeing the first ep.... other than the "one girl+guys" I'm not seeing any relationship to Ouran. I can't decide if I like it though... some parts were very funny. Though is she really ugly or just hasn't been taking care of herself? Was the guy in her past just being a jerk? The "cafe conference" was fairly amusing and the surrealism cuts (hyper stick figures ala Azumanga) are entertaining.

Favorite bit was the kitchen cooking sequence though....
Least favorite bit is "auntie" and her exit.... lord I detest that style of laugh.

We'll keep it on the burner for a few more episodes to see how it takes shape, kind of a "gothic Pygmalion" with 4 Professor Higgins.
Old 2006-10-13, 16:44   Link #79
Srin Tuar
無謀

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Though is she really ugly or just hasn't been taking care of herself?
If you take the way she is drawn at face value, she's easily the hottest female in the show.
Srin Tuar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-13, 16:53   Link #80
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓

I wish there were some 'Fair Lady'-ish moments that culminate in Kyohei and Sunako ending up together ... PLEASE?
physics223 is offline   Reply With Quote