AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2008-04-18, 02:29   Link #61
Impz
Insanity Anime Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Same here... but its typical. "Too many" fansubbers on a few shows while many others go neglected.
So true. I am just glad Ureshii/Bss and Menclave will be picking them up. Until they do so, if anyone wants to pick up the action, Episode 2 summary + Screenshots is done in my blog. Enjoy =3.

For those who watched it.

Spoiler:
Impz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-18, 05:12   Link #62
arkxkra
全力全開

Spoiler for ep2:
Old 2008-04-18, 05:17   Link #63
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impz View Post
I am so shocked personally that there is so little love for this series. I mean, cut the slack on the popular series, and look at this visually appealing, cool and unique story.
Bah, we need 8 versions of Kanokon episode 1 instead of getting this subbed! (no diss to the groups who are working on this)
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-18, 06:44   Link #64
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Sex sells.

What else do I have to say?
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-18, 07:11   Link #65
D a m i e n
permanentely bored

Send a message via ICQ to D a m i e n
if sex sells what do you say about monochrome factor?

a lot of show really need to be subbed this season, even a popular show like soul eater needs to get subbed by a competent group.
D a m i e n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-18, 08:23   Link #66
Impz
Insanity Anime Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkxkra View Post
Spoiler for ep2:
Spoiler for a comment reply from my blog:
Old 2008-04-18, 08:48   Link #67
Dop
Mmmm....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impz View Post
I am so shocked personally that there is so little love for this series. I mean, cut the slack on the popular series, and look at this visually appealing, cool and unique story.
Oh god yes. I just watched the first episode raw knowing most of it would go over my head. I was taken by the concept, and I've never seen a Noitamina series I didn't like.

I just love the style. I think it really works well. Characters seem good, too, from what I can tell!

Still, patience....
Dop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-18, 10:52   Link #68
Impz
Insanity Anime Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dop View Post
Oh god yes. I just watched the first episode raw knowing most of it would go over my head. I was taken by the concept, and I've never seen a Noitamina series I didn't like.

I just love the style. I think it really works well. Characters seem good, too, from what I can tell!

Still, patience....
Considering i do not use the english subs at all, I am not affected. ^^;; just a pity to people who are interested >_<
Old 2008-04-18, 13:13   Link #69
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

Quote:
Originally Posted by D a m i e n View Post
a lot of show really need to be subbed this season, even a popular show like soul eater needs to get subbed by a competent group.
I am also interested in watching this, but for now, I am actually kinda glad some groups are taking their time with their subs.

I have a lot of catching up to do, so......
Old 2008-04-18, 21:05   Link #70
Kaijin
かいじん

Thank goodness for IMPZ! I'm dying to watch this series and have made valiant attempts at the raws but alas, I understand nothing... Well, a little but most of it goes right over my head. Anywho, I agree with the sentiments in this thread that this show is getting unappreciated and that too may subbing groups pick up shows that have more than enough subbers. I appreciate the groups that have said they will be picking this up. Thanks again Impz for your summaries!
Old 2008-04-19, 00:40   Link #71
NakedAngelX

Nice episode!! For those who find it weird, maybe it didn't happen as much in American countries as in Asian countries. Eg., since ancient Chinese era's there has been banned book for citizens for certain political or just plain stupid reasons (And like in the series, wars to protect the books or destroy the books has been fought many times)

Spoiler for Ep 2:
Old 2008-04-19, 02:23   Link #72
Kai Yukari

I love those Tsundere boys. Iku is so lucky!!! Episode 2 was the high! I hope it gets better and better. (Plus the fact that the thread should be transferred to the fansubbed section soon )
Kai Yukari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-19, 07:33   Link #73
Hypernova

Location: Virgo Supercluster, Milky Way, Orion Arm, Sol, Earth, Taiwan
The whole premise still makes no sense to me.

-You got two groups of ppl fighting openly against each other funded by the same government.

-Books that are taken off shelves are usually still in a library so if you really want to you can just go and read it there.
Hypernova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-19, 09:57   Link #74
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

It's funny how I haven't noticed those points. I am usually quite fast at catching such implausibilities. I guess I've enjoyed Iku's antics so much that I didn't stop to think about the possible plot holes.

To be fair, I think the whole idea of a country fighting a war over books is a tad far-fetched in the first place. Moreover, such concepts tend to fit in more neatly with dystopian societies such as those depcited in 1984 or Brave New World. Someone had pointed out that Toshokan Sensou's version of Japan seems surprisingly calm and peaceful for a country at war. Soldiers are literally dying for the sake of books, while members of the public were peacefully visting the library.

Due to the lack of subs, it's difficult for me to tell what part of the premise has been explained so far. Future episodes will probably reveal more details about this version of Japan. Impz had speculated that the people are so used to information control that they've become desensitised to the violence. That sounds possible.

As for the library, it probably depends on which faction gets to the book first. If the Media Improvement Brigade (MIB) confiscates the book before a customer buys it, then he would probably have to visit the Task Force Library for a copy. Even then, that individual would not get to own the book - only browsing copies would be available. That possibly explains why that library-user wanted to cut out the centrefold photo.

Another theory just came to my mind. Perhaps the control of books is a proxy war for political control over the country. Assuming that the government has no wish to kill its own civilians, the various factions inside the government fight each other to control the means of spreading information to the people, and by extension, winning the people's hearts and minds. If that's what each faction wants to achieve, they wouldn't want to kill civilians, would they? Nothing like a blood bath to turn a population to full-scale revolt. The government would want to avoid that.

On the other hand, they wouldn't have any qualms killing a rival faction member. Indeed, it would probably help their own faction gain an upper hand in government. Meanwhile, as long as there is no collateral damage, life goes on as normal for the average citizen.

How's that? It makes sense, don't you think?
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-20, 01:47   Link #75
Impz
Insanity Anime Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
It's funny how I haven't noticed those points. I am usually quite fast at catching such implausibilities. I guess I've enjoyed Iku's antics so much that I didn't stop to think about the possible plot holes.

To be fair, I think the whole idea of a country fighting a war over books is a tad far-fetched in the first place. Moreover, such concepts tend to fit in more neatly with dystopian societies such as those depcited in 1984 or Brave New World. Someone had pointed out that Toshokan Sensou's version of Japan seems surprisingly calm and peaceful for a country at war. Soldiers are literally dying for the sake of books, while members of the public were peacefully visting the library.

Due to the lack of subs, it's difficult for me to tell what part of the premise has been explained so far. Future episodes will probably reveal more details about this version of Japan. Impz had speculated that the people are so used to information control that they've become desensitised to the violence. That sounds possible.

As for the library, it probably depends on which faction gets to the book first. If the Media Improvement Brigade (MIB) confiscates the book before a customer buys it, then he would probably have to visit the Task Force Library for a copy. Even then, that individual would not get to own the book - only browsing copies would be available. That possibly explains why that library-user wanted to cut out the centrefold photo.

Another theory just came to my mind. Perhaps the control of books is a proxy war for political control over the country. Assuming that the government has no wish to kill its own civilians, the various factions inside the government fight each other to control the means of spreading information to the people, and by extension, winning the people's hearts and minds. If that's what each faction wants to achieve, they wouldn't want to kill civilians, would they? Nothing like a blood bath to turn a population to full-scale revolt. The government would want to avoid that.

On the other hand, they wouldn't have any qualms killing a rival faction member. Indeed, it would probably help their own faction gain an upper hand in government. Meanwhile, as long as there is no collateral damage, life goes on as normal for the average citizen.

How's that? It makes sense, don't you think?
Totally agree. Let me repeat a bit of what Tiny said ^^, even though it seems like a repeat since I was ninja-ed.

In my opinion, I got a feeling that there are two forces trying to gain political control. One is using information (the main government body) to consolidate its powers. By having a central control in information, it can regulate whatever information it wants. In that case, they can achieve power of the masses by putting pro-propaganda. The other political force knows the attempt to homogenize the nation and attempts to fight for the books that are banned.

With advanced education and the need to make sure that they do not reveal weaknesses to external forces, they know that an all-out war will result in turmoil of the country and affect the economy. They want to do it in the shadows, so that the daily living conditions of people are not affected. Most people, except those who are passionate, probably could not care less about whether they have information or not. Normal citizens care about food, water, shelter and basic security.

In the anime, it mentions that public places are areas considered to be neutral, where firearms are not allowed. It is only the libraries that are fair game. I am sure it makes sense for the two factions to agree on this. In other words, whoever is going to the library is likely to be more politically active since it is information that is likely to shift political sentiments against the ruling party.

In that case, if either side owns these books, they are likely to own the ideas. I believe that makes sense. It's a tad far-fetched, but in the "information age" (which is arguable whether we are in that era), it might be a possible future scenario. I should incorporate this in my Library War entry next.
Old 2008-04-20, 05:12   Link #76
Satsuki Yuuhi Ramius

Send a message via Yahoo to Satsuki Yuuhi Ramius
Let me tell you something Library War also adapted into manga and its serialized in LaLa
Satsuki Yuuhi Ramius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-20, 10:03   Link #77
usagijen

I'm not sure if someone already mentioned this, but the Toshokan Sensou novels is considered to be a political/social satire, and there's certainly more to this show than meets the eye (with the rather quirky mix of comedy and action in the two episodes that aired). The "use information / books to RULE THE WORLD" might seem a little odd at this point, but I have high hopes that we'll see this given more light as the series delves into the more serious side of things later.

When I mentioned about the FMP-esque vibes I felt in Toshokan Sensou, it was due to the espionage and political aspects I sense in this series. I might just speed-read to the next volume of the novel to confirm my hunch or whatnot (though I believe a certain spoiler I read in Wikipedia was pointing out the truth in this)
usagijen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-20, 10:46   Link #78
Molenir

The biggest problem I have with this show, is how silly the idea behind it is. Don't misunderstand, I am liking the show. Partly for the shoujo elements in it, and also just because its so well done. But the plot is so ludicrous. I'm definitely going to keep watching though, just wish the overall plot was a bit better.
Molenir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-20, 11:09   Link #79
usagijen

Ok, after watching episode 2, I feel like ranting, coz so many stuff we're omitted from the novel and the manga!!! >_< I know only 12 eps are planned, but still, sigh. Omitting stuff is really detrimental for this show, considering how more ridiculous things will seem like without the proper details given to some aspects. It's moving wayyy too fast, IMO... and I just hope I can spare some time to go 'deep fry' and point out the missing stuff in the novels/mangas (which the anime is catching up with at demon speed).

Till then~! >_<
usagijen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-20, 18:35   Link #80
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I think.. the metaphor of the library wars directly corresponds to the ongoing fight in Japan over its history texts -- will the rightwingnuttery assert more and more control and continue to revise history or will moderate forces be able to push the book content to a more balanced level of content?

The series has a bit of that surreal "you see the reality you want to see" motif that Megatokyo's author likes to play with.

Tags
noitamina, production i.g.