AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Aquarion Series > Past Aquarion Series

Notices

Old 2012-03-04, 08:49   Link #2281
mayumi

Why don't we just wait and see beforing putting zessica in the one to betray category? the promotion poster for her is that of the green gardens of the school. Also the diamond or if we take it losely as ace of pentacle the element nature represents earth or in this case vega. Imo, altair would have to physically come and take her before she betrays anyone at this point.
mayumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-04, 09:10   Link #2282
Arya

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuromitsu View Post
Or maybe it's just that the "flying Amata balloon" gag has served its purpose and they're in the process of retiring it for the time being (or at least until he learns to properly control his powers). I mean they need to do something about it if they ever want to put him in a serious love scene with anyone.
For what I got so far writers are hinting hard that Amata/Mikono relationship is developing slowly but consistently, so it could be a way to show us that their relationship has stepped up to a phase of more consciousness, where Amata is unconsciously able to control his emotions. I mean, before he couldn't be ready for anything related to romance as something new to him, so he didn't know what he wanted to do, so his emotions took the lead. In this case he knew what he wanted to do, kiss Mikono, so he was able, unconsciously, to keep his flying ability under control. Btw it is not that he learned how to control it.
But I have to admit that your explanation looks more consistent, since the *flying boner* is intended as a gag, it is not necessary in serious love scenes, it would kill the mood. Without implying any stronger bond between Amata and anyone.

Speaking for Zessica future actions, I never thought that she could have taken the dark side, if we could call that, but it is true that her behavior in the last episode is a bit suspicious. I, as other, would have expected some active actions toward Amata, putting Mikono in the shadows. In this way the writers had balanced the triangle, instead of unbalancing it further in favor of Mikono. So now Zessica *betraying unwillingly* her comrades is something that could even happen in my mind.
But even if I could bear that, I think it wouldn't be a wise decision for the writers, ruining a character involved in the main love triangle. And it would mean playing it safe for them.

The meaning of things lies not in the things themselves, but in our attitude towards them.
Arya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-04, 09:28   Link #2283
Sixth
Hu Tao

The chances for Mikoto to defect to other side is higher than Zessica.
Sixth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-04, 10:24   Link #2284
Vena
Carpe Diem

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuromitsu View Post
I mean they need to do something about it if they ever want to put him in a serious love scene with anyone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya View Post
But I have to admit that your explanation looks more consistent, since the *flying boner* is intended as a gag, it is not necessary in serious love scenes, it would kill the mood. Without implying any stronger bond between Amata and anyone.
What about Episode 5? How did his *flying boner* at all ruin or spoil or kill the mood at the end? If anything it let the moment grow even further. The effect has been used for more than just a gag so to say that it is nothing more than a recurring joke... well, that's not exactly consistent with what's been shown. Yes, its usually used in a comical sense but it has also been used under rather serious pretenses such as Episodes 1 and 5.

Like I said before, I may be over thinking it but I'm almost certain that they could have made the scene far better if their intent was too bring the two closer together. For example: When Amata catches Mikono, have them start to float up together before Shu-Shu cockblocks them. That would have been: touching, consistent, and adorable... and subsequently hilarious as they fall in a hole.

I'm just being picky.

Edit: I guess you could say that he's in such a rich state of love that his emotions are completely under control. That might work, I guess, though its a bit out of left field. IIRC, in Episode 5, he first flies off but then starts to land once the initial flurry of emotions has passed. I guess you could go that path but I somehow cannot see Amata from Episode 8 have suddenly turned into a titan of pure thoughts and love in Episode 9. He'd fly for the color of her panties but he wouldn't go soaring for a near kiss?

Last edited by Vena; 2012-03-04 at 10:49.
Vena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-04, 11:55   Link #2285
kuromitsu

>Vena

I'm pretty sure you're overthinking it... But if you need a reason - well, the whole thing happened in the course of a few seconds. Amata either had no time to fully grasp the situation before Shushu attacked, or he short-circuited, or whatever.
kuromitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-04, 12:06   Link #2286
Arya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vena View Post
First of all I also thought the same thing about how they could have made that scene better than this. But in regard of flying together on a second thought they already did it just in episode 5, as you mentioned. So It could be a sort of repetition. And I didn't mean that the gag ruins always the mood, but it is like a joke that after few time becomes boring, sort of. So to give more seriousness to a romantic scene you eventually need to get rid of it. Even if the outcome could be less touching. In fact I agree with you that if they had flied together it would have been more touching. That scene instead looked quite cliched.
Anyways if nothing else we could see it as a development, phase #1: flying with no controls, phase #2: flying being able to coming back, phase #3: not flying at all. If I follow my previous argumentation, it is like in ph#1 Amata didn't know what was happening at all, in ph#2 he started to be more conscious of his feelings. Phase #3 is like he finally knew his feeling. That doesn't imply that he is able to handle every emotion he feel. So, if he sees more pants he will fly again. Romantic feelings are one thing, sexual's are others. And romantic feelings toward one girl are one thing, romantic feelings toward another girl are others.
But this is just overthinking on my part that's why I agree with kuromitsu that the writers just got rid of the flying routine for narrative requests more than willingly giving a real and specific meaning to it. Even counting how rushed that scene was.

The meaning of things lies not in the things themselves, but in our attitude towards them.
Arya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-04, 12:09   Link #2287
miketyson

Wow, another episode that didn't go quite as expected. It was a little more predictable than most of these have been, but still not quite as expected.

This might've been the funniest episode yet, even if it's not as over-the-top funny as some of them have been. I don't want to spoil anyone's fun so I'm going to keep it vague, but suffice to say that as a transfer student Jin's suddenly thrust into a completely unfamiliar situation
Spoiler:
miketyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-04, 12:17   Link #2288
mayumi

Spoiler:
mayumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-04, 12:24   Link #2289
ReddyRedWolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by miketyson View Post
Wow, another episode that didn't go quite as expected. It was a little more predictable than most of these have been, but still not quite as expected.

This might've been the funniest episode yet, even if it's not as over-the-top funny as some of them have been. I don't want to spoil anyone's fun so I'm going to keep it vague, but suffice to say that as a transfer student Jin's suddenly thrust into a completely unfamiliar situation
Spoiler:
Yak Deculture!

Spoiler for Revelation about Jin:
ReddyRedWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-04, 12:25   Link #2290
Vena
Carpe Diem

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayumi View Post
Spoiler:
Spoiler for Makes you wonder:
Old 2012-03-04, 12:25   Link #2291
miketyson

ReddyRedWolf:
Spoiler:
Old 2012-03-04, 12:35   Link #2292
Vena
Carpe Diem

So a quick run down of the episode before I leave.

Spoiler for Episode 10:
Old 2012-03-04, 13:41   Link #2293
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Location: 1st Ra Cailum-class battleship Ra Cailum, port-side officer's bunks
While I think we can all agree that in any series we'd all prefer to just see episodes of our favorite characters (for me, Amata and Mikono here), but that doesn't really register so much for you when they make such a great episode for the side characters.

You can definitely tell that they did a great job on an episode when it makes you revaluate your view of the character(s) concerned for the better; until now, Yunoha registered just a bit too far on the loli/jailbait side for me to like, but this episode really made me grow to actually like her character, and a good deal as well. And of course, the events/antics surrounding Jin's culture shock from his introduction to life at Neo Deava really made him shine as more than just the creepy guy with an obsession over a girl in stasis. I'm actually rooting for those two to become a couple now, as much as AmataxMikono and AndyxMix.

"Yak Deculture!" indeed.

Last edited by Shinji103; 2012-03-04 at 13:54.
Shinji103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-04, 13:56   Link #2294
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

I was actually ambivalent to the odd Jin x Yunoha pairing that seemed to be suggested in several fanarts weeks before this episode aired. But somehow, they made it work so WELL.

Jin being the fish out of water is hilarious to watch. It's one thing hearing and seeing women in media. It's another matter to be among them and see how they really act. DECULTURE describes it all too well . The fact that this naivete with regards to women is what made him more receptive to Yunoha is somehow done quite nicely, along with how Yunoha's warm reception of Jin is due to her similar circumstances, which is always a classic. Actually got shades of Romeo and Juliet in the final minutes.

Also, got another song from Sousei No Aquarion making an appearance, this time Pride ~Nageki no Tabi. After they played Go Tight! already, this just makes the possibility of SOUSEI NO AQUARION itself playing much greater

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-04, 14:01   Link #2295
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Location: 1st Ra Cailum-class battleship Ra Cailum, port-side officer's bunks
Man I gotta say, I'm playing Super Robot Wars Z right now, which has Aquarion in it, and that combined with how awesome Aquarion EVOL is so far is really giving me a craving for Aquarion EVOL in an SRW. Unfortunately, that's not coming for most likely a year after the series ends sometime in June, and that's probably being a bit optimistic. Oh man, this is gonna drive me insane.
Old 2012-03-04, 14:15   Link #2296
Thess

That was so adorable. I love this episode, clichés and all, they were cute.

"Who would understand you after I die? Who else would march forward by your side?"
Thess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-04, 14:21   Link #2297
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Looking around a certain imageboard, I had never once entertained the notion of the DEAVA base in Sousei and the Neo-DEAVA base being one and the same. Until a pic from the latest episode surfaced:

Spoiler for Comparison:

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
Old 2012-03-04, 14:25   Link #2298
miketyson

Oh that is a good catch. Looks like they're re-using a CGI set. Now that this episode's sunk in a bit, I really have to handle it to the staff: no matter what their idea is they always commit to it and take it as far as it'll go; no half-hearted efforts anywhere, at least so far. Maybee they've taken Zen's musings to heart?
Old 2012-03-04, 14:53   Link #2299
Vena
Carpe Diem

You know, its kinda weird how we're going to effectively go a week without much shipping of the main trio (and Kagura) since there were all of three scenes for them in the episode: lunch, a skirt, a book, and one ignoring/keeping her distance from the other for some reason.

Spoiler for End of Episode:
Old 2012-03-04, 14:58   Link #2300
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by miketyson View Post
Oh that is a good catch. Looks like they're re-using a CGI set.
While the details are identical, the actual art itself isn't. It's a remade scene rather than a reuse - keep the details intact while improving the actual animation.

Tags
comedy, science fiction