felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwiftPaws View Post
Yeah the graphics HAS to be good
i played maplestory,latale,trickster
and yeah

so yehhhh,sorry for the mods if this doesn't belong hereee.
Try Dragonica for now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dist View Post
Well since I loved La Tale back then but was forced to quit due lag, I hope this game might just get me enough interested to spend more time with it.

* In La Tale since it was only 2D, to get to higher places you usually had to run, jump and grab a ladder while in air. But this was not possible if you lagged, and most players I knew lagged all the time -_-.
Dragonica has eurapean, asian, chinese and north american servers (as far as I know). So lag is not an issue.

I played LaTale too, good game, really good pvp imo even though the diff between first job and 2nd job was pretty unfair its much more fair then other games.

What I didn't like in LaTale:
  • Click me Shops, in dragonica you still have to be in the game to have your shop visible but you don't have to stay near it and its all automated with search integrated. (really nice and easy)
  • No way to avoid dmg sometimes when grinding etc; add to that lag and you have "wtf mode". Dragonica is pretty much based on just simply avoiding getting hit at all costs. We healers are pretty efficient too; no need for pots or anything like that.
  • Mostly solo grind. Dragonica is one of those fun team games, where its fun to grind and its all made more fun with the addition of a boss and miniboss with perma spawn (as you go up in difficulty) at each level (levels based on difficulty). Of course you have uber dungeons too.

I quit LaTale, basically the lag isnt so bad until you reach the jungle where its impossibly bad (I think I was lv72 something with a lot of 40-50 alts, lol). Walk 2 meters lag death or the stupid natives spar your arse to death (sheesh). When I played quests at that level only gave 15% tops too (didn't check for any new content added after I left).
Old 2009-06-28, 22:36   Link #282
Timdog

Need a new MMO

I'm a MMO vet (started with EQ back around 2001) and I've played many of the big names out there but I'm looking for something different. I'm really burnt out on the stereotypical classes and worlds in most fantasy MMOs and no Sci-fi MMOs have really ever grabbed me.

So I want something different. Different classes, different world, anything. I'm just sick of the standard DPS/tank/heal that most MMOs have. I've been playing that type of game for nearly 8 years and it's just gotten boring. I probably just need a break from that style but I would like to try something else in the mean time.

EDIT: Or if it does have the same classes, it takes a different spin on them so it's not the same old same old. Requires you to play the class a little differently.
Timdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-28, 23:05   Link #283
Sydonai

also i don't think i saw anyone mention S4 League... it's a good fps imo. anyone that enjoys an fps like GunZ the duel would like this game.

Sydonai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-28, 23:33   Link #284
Shinoto
Rollin' Like A Boss

Eve Online, The only true MMO...and remaining different one(RIP SWG) out there
Old 2009-06-29, 00:21   Link #285
Kafriel
Senior Guest

Well, afaik all MMOs are of that type, the greatest deviations appear on single-player games (like Star Ocean or Xenosaga or anything just as huge with a lot more things to do than just grind). If you want something new, wait till FFXIV is out, maybe they'll make the difference, although I doubt it.
About Dragonica and lag: the european version's still beta so there's a lot less players than in officially released games.It was fun and all but with Thursday's patch I'll be going back to maple till LV123 or so...then back to dragonica till maple europe gets 4th job

Last edited by Kafriel; 2009-06-29 at 15:23.
Kafriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-29, 06:37   Link #286
Dist

Send a message via MSN to Dist
Well in La Tale, the lag was biggest issue for me. I lagged big time in battles too, teleporting around, sometimes it just froze simply for a moment that nothing moved ( Mostly in boss battles at instance dungeons ), and when I came to, I was already dead.. obviously.

And then there was the fact I could not reach any areas. I couldn't even go to that Earth instance dungeon to get that earth set because it was simply impossible for me to grab that ladder in air. It wasn't a problem with my timing or anything -_-.

I pretty much stopped there because quests came to be too hard alone with normal set, and though I had money, you can't trade those earth set pieces -.-.
Old 2009-06-29, 13:48   Link #287
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dist View Post
Well in La Tale, the lag was biggest issue for me. I lagged big time in battles too, teleporting around, sometimes it just froze simply for a moment that nothing moved ( Mostly in boss battles at instance dungeons ), and when I came to, I was already dead.. obviously.

And then there was the fact I could not reach any areas. I couldn't even go to that Earth instance dungeon to get that earth set because it was simply impossible for me to grab that ladder in air. It wasn't a problem with my timing or anything -_-.

I pretty much stopped there because quests came to be too hard alone with normal set, and though I had money, you can't trade those earth set pieces -.-.
When I was playing that one was impossible if you had any kind of speed buff on, otherwise it worked but still hard to get. Eventually I came to get it every time. However don't worry there are levels where you have to run-jump-grab, so impossible.

The pieces and special weapons aren't required, but they do help a lot. Personally was using 2 earth, 2 sphinx and 1 normal red one since it had I don't remember what stats on.
Old 2009-06-29, 20:16   Link #288
Dist

Yep. I was level 54 by the time I quitted, and I think the Earth pieces were much lower. But by the time I was 54, there weren't any new areas after the pyramid place ,and I couldn't even complete two of the quests to proceed for more to grind towards 60 for more quests etc. ... because.. run-jump-grab on ladder situations.

La Tale is great game but the way maps are made is kinda awful. If it didn't lag there wouldn't be a problem. It was many times suggested to devs to edit the maps so that run-jump-grab would not be required, and what did they do ? Ignore us, of course. They get money so why would they care -_-.

And I know it wasn't the issue of buffs or timing for me for the earth place. I spent hours every day trying to jump, till I snapped and closed the game, for forever. Two times out of probably of like 50.000 jumps I managed to grab on ladder, only to find out that either my group got bored of waiting for me, or I did not have a group to begin with and no one was interested for the moment. Of course, soloing that place was practically impossible at my level. Even if I had the strength to solo, with lag and times when I freeze and puff, I'm dead, it'd be just impossible ;<.

Btw.. I wonder if it's a '' trait '' of side scroller MMORPG's or is Dragonica lagging too ? I'm Thief, and like 50% of my hits go '' through '' the enemies. I don't get '' Miss ''... they just don't hit. This has started to be very annoying aswell x_x. Atleast, I'm not gonna spend real money for this game only to find out I have to quit due something and there you go.. wasted money. ( I spent like 80€ to La Tale ... hahahah )
Old 2009-06-30, 04:05   Link #289
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Concerning LaTale to the best of my knowledge the official position was that the game was only intended for the NA market so any player from outside played at their own risk (of course they were more then happy to take money from us). As for Dragonica, the only one time ever since I started playing I experienced lag was due to a bug (program conflic etc) not actual server issue.

Are you playing the gpotato.eu version or the iahgames version?

There's also THQice's Dragonica (North America) of course.
Old 2009-06-30, 04:14   Link #290
Kafriel
Senior Guest

I'm playing the Gpotato version, but PvP is said to lag like hell, and I don't risk going to port of winds at channel 1, the one time I did it my laptop froze (then again, I do need more RAM...)
Old 2009-06-30, 13:26   Link #291
NoOneKnowS
Who am I?

Most free MMO's are pretty much alike. Grind to death to get leet. Or be filthy rich (IRL) to get those uber weps or something. Just go choose on either A.) Game w/ the best community; if not, go w/ the worst. Nothing beats trolling somebody for some lulz. B.) I don't know, maybe just download some new games/according to what you're looking for (anime-esque) and reach the highest level. Well to me, every MMO is the same (well, except for Eve haha).
NoOneKnowS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-30, 15:25   Link #292
Dist

I'm playing the gpotato.eu of course, as I reside from Europe so that should be the most obvious choice. I don't exactly lag really, just that my hits seem to miss, though for me it would seem I am aligned with them perfectly..

Well couple times I got weird lag when I kicked the enemies up, then jumped and tried to do the spinning attack, suddenly the enemies just appeared at ground, as if they never were kicked in the air = My attack missed. Or, the enemies go through my spinning attack, which shouldn't be possible.

Oh well.. Atleast the game's free and I ain't paying for it so I got nothing to lose.

Edit : Well, Port of Winds seemed to lag only SLIGHTLY when I went in there on Channel 1, but I don't think it's server issue, but more like PC issue. My PC is good, but any MMORPG I've played has lagged on crowded areas... wait.. so is it server issue after all ? hmm..
Old 2009-06-30, 15:43   Link #293
Kafriel
Senior Guest

On a new note, Dragonica is FULL of translation errors: quest items and quest maps are given wrong
Spoiler for mistakes:

Anyway, I don't think all MMOs are about grinding, especially Maplestory, which has been regarded as the biggest grindfest in the history of MMOs (need 2.1b exp to LV200), because there's a lot more things to do than just grind or get rich...as for what they are, the community would know
Old 2009-06-30, 17:08   Link #294
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

It only exited open beta a while ago. I think they rushed the beta (like every other game), hence the errors.
But I don't care, I like being on the server from the get go.

Concerning some of the more peculiar errors, heroes decent isn't map its a set of maps.
Basically it refers to the sanctuary maps where the game gets interesting and pretty =P
Old 2009-06-30, 20:34   Link #295
Dist

Hm. But the typos are seriously horrible on Dragonica. Nearly every quests tells where to find a certain monster for example. I'm quite at start, but most quests referred to Traitor's Ridge, while the monsters were actually in the neighbourgin areas.. Don't remember their names.

There was various quests too that said to go to this and this MM, while the MM in question was totally different, or even the requirement to complete it was different. Well, they're pretty much small details still as you need to complete all MM's anyway, and getting S rank is way too easy so that'll pass the requirement.

I'm only playing the game anyway to pass time till Aion..
Old 2009-06-30, 22:20   Link #296
Enso
Gentleman Troller
*Graphic Designer

I'm sure I won't be the first to suggest these in all 11 pages, so I'll just +1 to these that I've played:

MapleStory

Mabinogi

Shin Megami Tensei [Imagine] Online

They can all be tons of fun and addicting if you have friends that will play with you/find the right group of people online. As a matter of fact, I'm sure we've already got animesuki groups in some of these games, right :P?

IMO you run out of things to do fast in MS if you don't play with friends... and SMTO is bleak (on purpose!) and slow-paced to begin with. I can't reiterate enough... finding cool people to play with is a must, and can make or break any MMO.

I liked Mabinogi the best, personally. It had the most options for character customization without having to pay real money. That's not saying all too much, as it was better around the first beta. When I last played ~around the time of the Elves/Giants release, it had become more restricted, but might have become better again!

The skill system was also really cool, different chores to level up your skills kept the game from feeling grindy in the beginning (although you had to face the music sooner or later; it become obvious later in the game), although crafting was pure unadulterated hell. A full inventory of Wool and Silk raws (I forget how big the inventory was, but it was over 100 items) would barely give you enough material to make a piece of clothing that you could sell at a profit. :shrug:.

Otherwise, it was fun. I'd tell you to look me up, but I haven't played these games in ages. The last one I played was Megaten, but it won't update anymore, so...
Enso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-01, 00:49   Link #297
Kafriel
Senior Guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cats View Post
Concerning some of the more peculiar errors, hero's descent isn't map its a set of maps.
Basically it refers to the sanctuary maps where the game gets interesting and pretty =P
After investigating that one for some time, I discovered that hero's descent is the name of a chaos map, so I figured you need around 50 devil's soul stones, the chaos shield thingy and many levels to survive in there...haven't tried doing it yet though. BUT, since you say so, I'll look into the next maps a bit
Old 2009-07-05, 03:48   Link #298
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Dist, after you started the LaTale discussion I got a little interested again and checked back with it for new content etc. Anyway...

Aeria Games is now in closed beta LaTale. Its not much, but their games as far as I know have both NA and European servers (Germany), and I personally never lagged in any of their games, so you could think of it as EU LaTale. Personally, I think I might give it a try. My reason for playing LaTale to begin with was the blader class (a class with only normal attack, self-buff only, ultra speed dps? lolwut), however on OGP basically if you're from Europe Blader = slower then a snale (lag issue; yes lag breaks the blader, like really really badly).
Old 2009-07-05, 21:11   Link #299
kuroishinigami
Ava courtesy of patchy

you got an animesuki group on smt imagine? I would like to play that one but none of my friend like SMT so they don't want to play it. Can I join your group when I play it?
kuroishinigami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-06, 14:50   Link #300
Micchi
兄さんが望むなら...

Emil Chronicle Online is coming out in English in Malaysia/Singapore via Run-Up Games. Closed beta begins on the 8th. I've played this before and loved it.

Wrote a bit on races and jobs on my blog if you're interested.

Tags
mmorpg