AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Darker Than Black

Notices

View Poll Results: Darker Than Black - Episode 10 Rating
Perfect 10 52 44.83%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 37 31.90%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 14 12.07%
7 out of 10 : Good 7 6.03%
6 out of 10 : Average 2 1.72%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 0.86%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 3 2.59%
Voters: 116. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2009-12-12, 20:05   Link #141
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Send a message via ICQ to Myssa Rei Send a message via Yahoo to Myssa Rei
Quote:
Originally Posted by forgottendiary View Post
*Snips what amounts to 'THIS AN ISSUE ON MY PERSONAL TASTE' ramble*
Although the two-episode arc structure was fun for the first season, I think the second season is much better constructed. While the duo episode-arc introduced varied characters, aside from Hei's Syndicate team there was little plot continuity between arc. Now compare it to the over-reaching one we have this season--the hilarious string of coincidences aside in Episode 10, it's a much tighter, shall we say, watch.

Then again I'm a fan of extended narratives, so the choice the staff decided on fit with what I already liked.

I also disagree with some of the previous posters saying that Suou is irrelevant, since the narrative is connected to her (and the shenanigans of her family) in one way or another.

Last edited by Myssa Rei; 2009-12-12 at 20:21.
Old 2009-12-12, 20:39   Link #142
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yu Ominae View Post
I still think it was despicable though. Mikhail was trying to play God by recreating Suo IMO.
Okay, sorry, I get it. I just have a different point of view on "playing God." For me, antibiotics and airplanes fall into the same category, albeit at another point on the continuum. Clones are human, too, has always been my approach. And all I saw was a (crazy) father trying to save his child. But I can understand why someone might feel differently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AddiKtioNn-BlaCk View Post
...I just posed a question. Nobody explained or bother to state why they think she is still relevant. To me, it seems like the main players aren't the main focus of the storyline. At first I was thinking about Suou and Shion held a some kind of Key or power to stop whatever is about to happen. But then I find out that she's just a clone created by Shion. The real Suou had her body cremated, the real Suou is gone. The current Suou is just a person created by Shion. So now I'm curious to see how the story writers are going to end it.Can someone please "Explain" why they think she is still relevant?
Really, I think people have explained. It's just that you don't like the explanation because you have a vision of the show based in the first series. You think that a further development of that plot is all that counts. I can sympathize, but in this season, I think it is Suou's personal journey that counts. And Hei himself said that she reminds him of himself, so there is even a connection there to be thought of and felt.

And whether she is a copy or not doesn't matter, she is the human at the center of the story. Having been made by her brother and father doesn't make her any less human: we have seen her humanity and her reality at every instant of this show. Her memories may be false, but her thoughts are her own, to the same extent yours or mine are (which means not entirely, lol).

But I'll try to answer your question on your own terms. First, I think Suou's pendant is very important, and her longing to get together with her family is leading her to take it to the place where it will come into play. Second, for Hei, she was very important in saving him from the weapon, leading him toward Tokyo, and gradually curing him of his depression and setting him back on track. Now his desire to protect her will have significance, too, as he confronts/tries to save Yin.

It's highly legit to prefer season one to this season. But I personally think this season is better because we actually get deeper into the characters -- Suou and Hei, in particular. The first season was more on the surface, with "cool" stuff and minor arcs all the way to the last few episodes, when the anti-contractor machines came into play. But this season has more feeling in it, to me, as well as a plot that has continued all the way through: of Section Three using the Yin weapon against contractors, and Hei, helped by Madame Oreille, taking Suou to the centre of the action, where I hope the contractors will be saved again. And meanwhile, we get to watch Suou gradually adjust/maladjust to her new life, in her search for her family.

At least, that's how I see it.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.

Last edited by Kaoru Chujo; 2009-12-12 at 21:11.
Old 2009-12-12, 21:56   Link #143
haiz123321
Obey me world!

Any spectaculations on who killed Youko? I don't think it's Hei since his way of killing is much more "clean" compared to how Youko died. But who knows.

Long Live Lelouch! Waiting for Tales of the World:RM2 USA release
Old 2009-12-12, 22:52   Link #144
EadTaes
The Northern Guy

Send a message via AIM to EadTaes Send a message via MSN to EadTaes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanaya View Post
She's the main character. That's why she's relevant to the story as well as the aforementioned reasons.

Everything else that you pointed out is personal taste. If you love Suou instead, then those arguments would not show up at all.

Learn to understand the difference between personal taste and plot relevance instead. That's your problem.
You sir nailed down his problem precisely.

Just seems some people can't accept that the main focus of a story might change form one character to am other depending on the season. S1 told Hei's story, S2 is about Suou's story, Hei is only part of her story and' Yin's part in Suou's story is even smaller for the time being.
Old 2009-12-13, 00:02   Link #145
Ice Block
less qq; more pewpew

What have you people been watching for the past 10 weeks? If you still haven't figured out Suou's relevance to the plot... I dunno, watch the 10 episodes again? Pay more attention this time.

On another note...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinocard View Post
But then what about Suou's flashback of 2 year ago in Ep1? Why does this Suou remember that Shion became contractor 2 year ago? Shion was able to walk back then, which means he hasn't used his power (to create Suou), hasn't gained it, or the memory is fake. But why did Shion went through the trouble of recreating Suou 8 year ago, then 6 year later changed her memory, so that she believes he gained his power only 2 year ago?
The timeline goes like this:

13 Years Ago:
  • Mao meets Mom (forgot her name) for the first time.
  • Suou and Shion are born.
  • The gates appeared, along with the contractors.
  • speculation: Shion was born as a contractor.

8-7 Years Ago:
  • Mao is sent to spy on Dr. Pavlichenko, but is set up on and loses his real body.
  • Suou dies. Dr. Pavlichenko scans her brain with ME and extracts her memories. Mom (thanks to Mao's help) interrupts the process and takes her away.
  • speculation: Sometime after this incident, Shion would use his contractor ability to create a copy of Suou. The good doctor would then implant the above memories [and some extras] into the new Suou.
  • Heaven's War in South America continues, and ends with the disappearance of Heaven's Gate along with a big chunk of said continent.
  • Hei gains contractors as a side effect of Pai/Bai's molecular altering (it could also have been part of the plan). Havoc/Carmine goes into Regression, and Amber disappears from the Syndicate.

2 Years Ago:
  • The majority of Season One takes place here.
  • The Pavlichenko's camp somewhere in Russia gets hit by a meteor during the Meteor Shower incident (War of Hell's Gate).
  • speculation: Suou dies. Shion makes another copy, and Dad implants the memories again. Maybe this time, he copied some from Shion, and implanted more fake memories.
  • speculation: It could also be that Suou was recreated here for the first time, though I'm less inclined to believe this.

Regarding the whale... From BSS Subs, 18:39:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shion
Yeah, I copied it while I was at it.
Bolded for emphasis. I think this refers to him copying Yin's observer spirit. This leads me to believe that the one hatching from the chrysalis was Shion's creation -- Yin's observer spirit made flesh. The way Shion looks in the ep (tired, worn out, and in a wheelchair) suggests that he just used his ability, and that he used it to copy something complex.

This is also alluded to in Ep01, when we see Shion seeing something that resembles an observer spirit which he calls "Suou" -- he may have given contractor powers to the current incarnation of Suou thanks to copying from that thing he saw.

Regarding Youko... I believe she was physically tortured for info (NOT by Hei, mind you). The way she had broken fingers and torn clothes hints as much. Now, the torturer could either be one of Madam Oreille's henchmen, or perhaps it's related to the CIA. Remember that John Smith guy? Maybe he has a part in this after all.
Old 2009-12-13, 00:08   Link #146
Master Assassin
Portable Dude Mk. II
*Artist

Location: All ghillied up spying on someone ~2,000 yards away using telescope sights.
Quote:
Originally Posted by haiz123321 View Post
Any spectaculations on who killed Youko? I don't think it's Hei since his way of killing is much more "clean" compared to how Youko died. But who knows.
For one, I don't think of why Hei would resort to that kind of mutilation, since he's done interrogating. But I do have that bit of suspicion that its not him.

--- This line over here is a placeholder. ----
Old 2009-12-13, 00:38   Link #147
Sakabatou77

Suou is a main plot in this series, but like in s1, Hei's path always seemed to cross paths with someone important at the time.

Suou's part in the plot connects her to the events surrounding Shion and their father since Shion created her. Why would he do that, I don't know, but I'm sure it's not to replace his lost sister since it's irrational in his mind. He wouldn't have done it if dear daddy told him to, unless he threatened his life.

Hei is fighting section 3 to get to Yin. Something Miss O did a while back, (or something else concerning Yin killing dozens of Contractors,) brought things to this moment.

It just so happens that Hei and Suou's paths crossed, (probably because perhaps Miss O and Suou's father and brother are linked in this whole Inazami and Inazaki thing) and now they are traveling together.

So in defenition, they're both the protagonist! This story is about them both!

I'm sure somebody who reads this is going to think, there can be only one protagonist, but that's not true. I don't recall how many times I've watched an anime, movie, or show that had two. For example: The Prestige with Christian Bail.

Now I can't wait until the last 2 ep.s since I want to know what's going to happen. And I don't really care about who's the Protagonist, who Hei's going to be with, or whatever else was brought up. This series, in my opinion, has me guessing what's going to happen. I don't know how many programs and/or movies that have came out that were predictable. I don't like predictable stuff.

Ahh. It's sad though. Only 2 ep.s left, and then its the OVAs. I hope Bones does a third season.
Old 2009-12-13, 02:11   Link #148
karice67
さっく♥ゆうきゃん♥ほそやん

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Block View Post
Regarding the whale... From BSS Subs, 18:39:

I think this refers to him copying Yin's observer spirit. This leads me to believe that the one hatching from the chrysalis was Shion's creation -- Yin's observer spirit made flesh. The way Shion looks in the ep (tired, worn out, and in a wheelchair) suggests that he just used his ability, and that he used it to copy something complex.
Going by the Japanese (tsuide ni = incidentally), he seems to be saying he copied it on a whim to see if he could do it. Doesn't necessarily mean he had just copied something else.

That said, I'm not making any guess on what's going on with Yin.

How Suetsugu Yuki drew the cover for Chihayafuru volume 34

Interview translations etc

You must free yourself from that illusion,
from the illusion that a story must have a beginning and an end.

"No, you are not entitled to your opinion... You are only entitled to what you can argue for.”
- Patrick Stokes

Old 2009-12-13, 02:53   Link #149
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
Okay, sorry, I get it. I just have a different point of view on "playing God." For me, antibiotics and airplanes fall into the same category, albeit at another point on the continuum. Clones are human, too, has always been my approach. And all I saw was a (crazy) father trying to save his child. But I can understand why someone might feel differently.
Yeah, that's a hard one to call. They did copy a relative which is "playing God" but it was done out of grief for the death of the relative. He had the technology to do it so he used it.

Spoiler for secondary to size only:

Totally agree with everything except the saving Yin part. Yin has caused too many contractors to die and she might have shot Hei. It's now her turn.

So this Suou is a clone. She is a human and she lived longer than the real Suou. She was most likely raised with the love of her father and brother as the original Suou would have been. She has to love of photography and origami from her mother. Her fake memories were loving memories of her family that both her father and brother prob wished that they could have had. Those fake memories enable her to grow into the nice 13 yo that she is. She is "Suou" now.

Unfortunately, that love of origami has been twisted by being a contractor into a constant reminder of her clone state and not the thing to do to show her love for her father and mother.

She is like all the contractors, dolls, etc in the DtB universe. A new lifeform that struggles to be considered human by the humans in control who would rather use them for their own personal gains. Therefore, she is very relevant.

I also agree with the others that saying she is not relevant is more of a personal taste issue.

I'm also loving this season better than the first season.

Last edited by orion; 2009-12-13 at 03:05.
Old 2009-12-13, 06:41   Link #150
Joe_fh

I thing this episode was very good. I had my doubdts with the way some things were going the last couple of episodes and even though some of the things I was hoping to see didn't happen and were more or less left the way they were, Bones handled what could have become a total train-reck really well.

First for the Suou being the main character of this season. I personally have no problem with that whatsoever. It was clear it was going to be about Suou's hard, painfull lonely jorney through life the moment they showed the OP for the first time. This episode also gave us a clear understanding as to why Hei feels like he needs to protect Suou thus the connection between the two characters was developed even more.

I was right to connect Youko's interrogation scene to Havoc's in s1 but this was on a whole new level. I really felt bad for her since she was the most normal from the section 3 team I mean we never really saw her do something bad and we only saw how much she cared about Hazuki. Probably because of that her death had more impact. I wonder who actually killed her in such a brutal way. What I found interesting was that when she was talking about how Yin kills contractors and how she needs to save Hazuki she never mentioned Genma. I think that might be a sign that she didn't really trust him since people are usually concerned at least a bit about their teammates. So he migh have had something to do with this concidering the fact that he aslo wanted information regardin Yin.

Also Youko was talking about a terrible moemry recorded in those docments. Also "The old woman that has the memory of the future" plus the flashback of the observatory plus the fact that the old Stargazer wasn't affected by Amber's ability and was able to keep talking seem to fit togheter quite well. Since Amber also traveled through time and saw many different futures maybe Youko is actually talking about her? I wonder what will come from all this.

We saw Mao's real body after all this time and it blew up. There was another interesting thing here - the fact that Suou's mother knew about the gates before they appeared. Concidering she was involved with the Syndicate (or at least her husband was really involved) that would mean that he also knew about the Gates before they were there. There are a lot of things that could come out of this.

Also at that time Shion really looked like a contractor. The way he was acting and talking showed lack of emotions, especially concidering he was just a kid at that time so he probably had his contractor powers since he was a child.
About the doctor copying Suou's memories I think it was understandable. It's natural to try everything you can to save someone that you care about a lot even if it's reckless unethical and you're playing God. If there's a chance to save that person you don't care about any of that.

As viewrs I don't think that Suou being a copy really makes a difference in her importance as a main character. Everything that happened until know hasn't changed because now we know she is a copy - she is still the same Suou from before. In fact her being a copy actually gives the chance to develop her emotions better and explain them better. I don't see how she can be irrelevant when she's the main focus and the drving froce of all the character development in s2.

I wonder what Madam Oreille's objective actually is. She seems to be trying to guide Hei into doing something but at this point it's not actually clear what that is. She probably told Hei something more that what we saw since at the end of the episode he sayed that neither he nor Suou had time. I think this means he learned something about Suou's role in all this.
Also there was a moon. How did it appear all of a sudden? It;s not like something that big happen. I wonder if Shion's ability only lets him copy living things (meaning people animals and scuh since Suou was dead when he used his ability)

The best scenes this episode were the one when Suou learned what actually happened when her mother told Misaki and the second one was when Suou said what was on her mind to Hei. I relly loved the second scene - it had a huge impact and it aslo showed how confused she actually was and still is. It was a really nice moment. Overall I can't help but love Suou's character and her development even if at times I felt like she changed really fast.

I really wonder how they'll be able to wrap this up in jsut two episodes. Even if they deal with Shion there will be too many questions and things left to cover after that. Thre's also the Yin side of the story to cover which even though connected with Shion's plan actually takes place for the last 2 + years. I know we'll see its begining in the OVAs but it's end? I mean it's kind of hard to imagine how they'll manage to cover everything in two episodes.
Old 2009-12-13, 07:09   Link #151
Von Himmel
エーレンフェストの聖女

Quote:
We saw Mao's real body after all this time and it blew up. There was another interesting thing here - the fact that Suou's mother knew about the gates before they appeared. Concidering she was involved with the Syndicate (or at least her husband was really involved) that would mean that he also knew about the Gates before they were there. There are a lot of things that could come out of this.
This....is somehow strange. I mean, was the Gate is a kind of an experiment ? Considering why Suou's mother would know anything about it and how she was involved with the syndicate, does it mean that the Syndicate is the one behind the appearance of the gate ? If so, how could they make something like that ? @_@

Or maybe she read something that's more like Mitaka Document..

Quote:
I really wonder how they'll be able to wrap this up in jsut two episodes. Even if they deal with Shion there will be too many questions and things left to cover after that. Thre's also the Yin side of the story to cover which even though connected with Shion's plan actually takes place for the last 2 + years. I know we'll see its begining in the OVAs but it's end? I mean it's kind of hard to imagine how they'll manage to cover everything in two episodes.
Yeah..need more episodes...

Old 2009-12-13, 13:45   Link #152
KaneDragon
*(RAWR*)&rawr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyvedelta View Post
This....is somehow strange. I mean, was the Gate is a kind of an experiment ? Considering why Suou's mother would know anything about it and how she was involved with the syndicate, does it mean that the Syndicate is the one behind the appearance of the gate ? If so, how could they make something like that ? @_@
Resonance Cascade. Hei is the new Gordon Freeman.

I rest my case.
Old 2009-12-13, 14:01   Link #153
k'2

Send a message via MSN to k'2 Send a message via Yahoo to k'2
Spoiler for for size:

whoa that's a lot to read
Old 2009-12-13, 22:48   Link #154
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
Great episode as we had a lot of realization occur but those only lead to more questions.

A lot of the predictions that have been going on have been pretty right on. I was not surprised that Suou is a copy created by her brother a lot evidence pointed to this or something similar though out the series. I really feel bad for Suou and Shions mom though. She technically lost both her children it was so sad to watch her break down. Suou handled a lot of this information very well. She as not even surprised by Hei nice new shave look. He had no quams about attacking Misaki he didnt even stop when she called him Li kun.

When i saw Hei interrogating Youko i was like damn but he left her drugged up. I would never had fathomed that someone else would come a long and tear her to bloody shreds like they did. The question is who knew Hei was there, he had gone on the grid. But Hazuki is going to go ape when she finds Hei that bloody kiss was creepy.

Madam Oreille seems to guiding Hei i cant wait to find out what her true objectives are. Along with who woke up when the moon came out. But at this point i thinks it easy to see the importance of Suous character in the series. Too bad her bother and father are ass holes.

I think the stories pace will actually pick up now that we have reached this point.
Old 2009-12-14, 04:28   Link #155
Tubby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakabatou77 View Post
So in defenition, they're both the protagonist! This story is about them both!

I'm sure somebody who reads this is going to think, there can be only one protagonist, but that's not true. I don't recall how many times I've watched an anime, movie, or show that had two. For example: The Prestige with Christian Bail.
Baccano has like a dozen of protagonists, actually it only consists of such.
Old 2009-12-14, 04:46   Link #156
Narona
Emotionless White Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tormenk View Post
Orielle
Quote:
Originally Posted by velvet nightmare View Post
orielle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanehei View Post
Ornielle
Quote:
and many others
It's Oreille XD

Because Oreille is the french word for Ear XD
Old 2009-12-14, 04:54   Link #157
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

Awesome chapter... Youko's death scarred me through ;_;

Suou's in love, as a contractor and unknowingly only for the sake of it. Romantically or not, for sure Suou and Hei do like/love each other. But considering the stereotype, they may part way by the end of this season =/
A season 3 about Suou and Hei....now it sounds promising. It probably take a long while through...

A clone or not, Suou is always the one we knows. She's just like a certain magical character whose name start with F, who care if they're clone or not....... her memory, her personalities are still the one we knows and love.

Misaka had her "paradise lost". This must be the worst scenario that she probably could image of
Old 2009-12-14, 09:01   Link #158
hei

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Block View Post
13 Years Ago:
  • Mao meets Mom (forgot her name) for the first time.
  • Suou and Shion are born.
  • The gates appeared, along with the contractors.
  • speculation: Shion was born as a contractor.
From that speculation, we can make another speculation: initial Suou was the clone of Shion's as well, who was made in her mom's womb.

Quote:
Pretty easy to understand why Suou is RELEVANT to the story.

She's the main character, she was used by Shion to evade capture as a decoy, she is bringing Hei back from the brink of drunken stupor and not caring, she is the starting point of this story and may be the ending point of it. This is HER story, like how most of the two episode arcs were stories about the leading ladies/dudes DTB had in season 1. Of course, it was expanded into 12 episodes instead of 2.

Remind me again why this is so hard to understand?
That's the biggest problem of the S2. Suou is too relevant to the story! At this rate, the ending of the show will be like this: a fangirl saved the world (or Hei).

Quote:
As for the complaints about the content of this season, last season had lolis, shotas, moe, and fangirl stalkers. And even then, Darker than Black season 1 didn't tie mostly everything up until the last 3 episodes. You cannot complain that Darker than Black season 2 is tying up everything in this last two episodes when season 1 did the same thing and THEN hold season 1 as a gold standard.
Excuse me, could you name loli and shota characters of S1? Also, nobody said S1 is the standard. You can say whatever you think, but do not exaggerate things. It will make your argument less credible.
Old 2009-12-14, 10:38   Link #159
Nanaya
ハイパー武器英雄

loli
Yin and Amber

shota
July and Maki

>I don't even know why it's called Darker than Black anymore.
This implies that you base your hate of s2 by comparing it with s1.

You can't even argue that s1 did not have moe and fangirl stalkers.

Again, everything else is your personal taste. Not really worth arguing over, just showing you how it is.
Old 2009-12-14, 17:48   Link #160
hei

Quote:
loli
Yin and Amber

shota
July and Maki.
So, according to your definition, Pokemon must be full of loli and shota characters, right? By the way, have you checked Yin's age in S1? I always thought she is small and silent but quite mature. Anyway, good to hear Maki's name. Actually, episode 10 of S2 reminded me of Maki who was an Amber fanboy in S1.

Quote:
>I don't even know why it's called Darker than Black anymore.
This implies that you base your hate of s2 by comparing it with s1.
Isn't it too childish to use the word of "hate" in this case? Do you think people are critical of something because they hate it? If you think so, I have just one word to say, "grow up". Anyway, "compare" sounds better than "gold standard", I think.

Quote:
>You can't even argue that s1 did not have moe and fangirl stalkers.

Again, everything else is your personal taste. Not really worth arguing over, just showing you how it is.
Did I mention moe and fangirl in S1? No. Did I talk about your personal taste? No.
Closed Thread