AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2012-09-07, 11:35   Link #6221
Auxilism
For the yuri (╹◡╹)

The longer a franchise continues, the more people will turn from fans to haters.

Does this look true to you? It does for the series that I follow
Characters are from Madoka Magica, Symphogear and Sakura Trick.
Please see the uncompressed version on the right.
Click this for my gif request thread.Max quality version
I take gif requests here.
Please read the opening post (revised as of 22/8/2014).
Auxilism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-07, 11:45   Link #6222
sudolicious
Otoshi-gami in training

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord of Fire View Post
Identical twins are never 100% identical. In the case of fingerprints, it's possible for a skilled detective to find out which twin committed a crime if all he has to go by are fingerprints.
>How does DNA work
I can tell you one thing, it doesn't have to do with the skill of the "detective".

For the initial question I'm not completely sure, probably also varies from country to country. My knowledge of US law is based on Boston Legal and Law&Order, but what I figured from that, is that you can't charge two people with the same crime - unless they commited it together or something. Which one could very well assume when there are twins involved.

Someone should probably be able to solve this with a little googling, or better founded law knowledge
sudolicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-07, 14:19   Link #6223
Lord of Fire
The Voice of Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudolicious View Post
>How does DNA work
I can tell you one thing, it doesn't have to do with the skill of the "detective".
And your point is?

Quote:
For the initial question I'm not completely sure, probably also varies from country to country. My knowledge of US law is based on Boston Legal and Law&Order, but what I figured from that, is that you can't charge two people with the same crime - unless they commited it together or something. Which one could very well assume when there are twins involved.
Of course you can charge more than one person for the same crime, happens all the time. After all, there could be multiple suspects. Twins are no exception.
Old 2012-09-07, 14:39   Link #6224
sudolicious
Otoshi-gami in training

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord of Fire View Post
Of course you can charge more than one person for the same crime, happens all the time. After all, there could be multiple suspects. Twins are no exception.
Does it happen a lot, really? Because I can't recall a single case in the past years where I heard of something like that, except it's something drug/gang related or similar stuff of course. Ruling out suspects should be the polices job after all.

Still, you're right. As I said, my law knowledge is very limited and I apparently mixed up a few things, I was thinking of the double jeopardy clause, which of course only applies AFTER someone has been convicted.
Old 2012-09-07, 22:06   Link #6225
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Identical twins are, for all intents and purposes, 100% DNA identical sans any somatic mutations over the course of their lives.

However now they're trying to implement what is called antigenic typing based on an individual's HLA (Human Leukocyte Antigen). While identical twins have pretty much identical DNA, their antigenic distribution as a result of some degree of randomization of surface antigen and glycoprotein molecules during the maturation of human lymphocytes which develops in childhood and remains more or less the same in adulthood.

So in essence this antigen typing is unique per individual due to the random aspect, which is why no two people are a perfect HLA match. Twins are the closest HLA match because the genetic code behind their surface proteins are more similar, but still not a perfect match.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-07, 23:58   Link #6226
Lord of Fire
The Voice of Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudolicious View Post
Does it happen a lot, really? Because I can't recall a single case in the past years where I heard of something like that, except it's something drug/gang related or similar stuff of course. Ruling out suspects should be the polices job after all.
Let's take a bank robbery for example. If multiple people are seen fleeing the scene, the police could arrest them all and charge them for the same crime. And they could theoretically all be convicted for the same crime, if they all took part in it. They'll often get different sentences for it, though, depending on the amount of participation and their precise role in the crime.

Quote:
Still, you're right. As I said, my law knowledge is very limited and I apparently mixed up a few things, I was thinking of the double jeopardy clause, which of course only applies AFTER someone has been convicted.
Or acquitted, though this depends on the country you refer to. Where I come from, prosecution could appeal to an acquittal if they believe they have sufficient new evidence to re-trial you.
Old 2012-09-08, 23:38   Link #6227
Kimidori
The Opened Ultimate Gate

can someone learn to speak japanese fluently without knowing how to write at all?
Old 2012-09-09, 02:52   Link #6228
dragon4dudes
Uncountable rationality

Send a message via MSN to dragon4dudes
It might be, but difficult. In general, being able to read and write a language allows you to see sentence structure and practice associating the word(s) with what the word(s) represent. By writing a character or word, you can consciously repeat the word to yourself. Psychologically, it's easy to remember something when there are multiple stimuli associated with it.

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so. Douglas Adams
Where facts are few, experts are many. Donald R. Gannon

void foo() {foo();} // Can you guess what this line of code does?
dragon4dudes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-09, 12:57   Link #6229
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimidori View Post
can someone learn to speak japanese fluently without knowing how to write at all?
I would say so, yes. Though at the very least learning Romaji is a good idea.

That said, by not learning the moon runes, you are cutting yourself off a bit. Going to Japan without being able to read signposts, or labels on food is probably... difficult.

But illiterate people have been learning to speak new languages for centuries so...
DonQuigleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-11, 15:27   Link #6230
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

I'm trying to figure out how much force is required to cause traumatic nail avulsion (toenail) on the average man...
I can't find any source that gives a number, but I was wondering if anyone here knew a source?

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-11, 18:34   Link #6231
Seitsuki
Onee!

For obvious reasons I don't think they've done many tests on that, much less tests which would give exact values. Not the sort of research you'd want to publish either..

Does anyone know if there's a verb for the act of 'turning your head away with a harumph'? Kinda like going 'tsun', but instead of lifting your head you turn your head. Or just spin right around. If that makes sense.
Old 2012-09-12, 00:17   Link #6232
dragon4dudes
Uncountable rationality

Send a message via MSN to dragon4dudes
Scoff? I'm not sure. I understand what you're asking, but I can't think of a single word.

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so. Douglas Adams
Where facts are few, experts are many. Donald R. Gannon

void foo() {foo();} // Can you guess what this line of code does?
dragon4dudes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-12, 01:19   Link #6233
Sumeragi
Banned

NSFW question concerning doujinshis:

Spoiler for R-18 Topic:
Sumeragi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-12, 01:23   Link #6234
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumeragi View Post
NSFW question concerning doujinshis:

Spoiler for R-18 Topic:
Spoiler for Reply:

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-12, 01:25   Link #6235
Sumeragi
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
Spoiler for Reply:
Spoiler for Reply:
Sumeragi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-12, 01:31   Link #6236
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumeragi View Post
Spoiler for Reply:
Spoiler for Reply:

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-14, 09:27   Link #6237
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Spoiler for NSFW:
DonQuigleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-15, 18:33   Link #6238
Ak3mi
Tumble Rumble

Question:
Berserk, the Manga is now bringing out a trilogy of films. Do the films continue after the anime or from the start of the Manga?

Sorry for the poorly worded question
Old 2012-09-15, 18:50   Link #6239
brocko

The films starts predominantly where the anime begins, although skipping over some of the main characters back story about how he grew up. It's like watching the anime again to be honest.
To be exact, it begins in the Golden Age arc of the series. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berserk_%28manga%29

http://www.freerice.com/ - For each word you get right, 10 grains of rice is donated through the UN to help end world hunger.
brocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-16, 07:07   Link #6240
HasuMasu
*Artist

There's this piece of classical music that I'm sure everyone's heard but for the life of me I can't remember what it's called

It goes like this: tan tan tan tan tan tan tan tan tan tan tan tan tan tan tan...

Anyone know the name?

Tags
problem, q&a, serious