AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2010-04-28, 20:48   Link #21
Eater of All
NOM

Pretty sure it does, albeit without the near-homicidal tendencies that tend to come with it. Just as some guys like to incessantly tease a female friend he (to a certain extent) has the hots for, IMO it makes sense for relatively strong-willed girls to act cold and abusive towards guys they like as a way of conveying their feelings.

Hell, I daresay the situation with little sisters IRL is similar to this, but that's off topic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix View Post
However, "idiot who understands a tsundere" personality doesn't, so mostly only bad things happen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrath88 View Post
Unless you're the sort who can tell when she doesn't really mean her insults. But that sort of person would have either really good people-reading skills or a weird childhood.

So yes, the Tsundere personality does exist, but I doubt the existence of the personality that can tolerate the 'tsun'.
These. You pretty much need to be a saint to tolerate a tsundere IRL, but a tsundere is still fine once in a while.
Old 2010-04-28, 22:57   Link #22
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Gee... am I the only guy here who has dated a Tsundere and enjoyed it?

Sure getting to know her is a real pain, but once you know her buttons it's a blast. You lead the conversation so you can make a comment that you know will set her off. She starts raging at you and you just play along until you can't hide your smile anymore. You start grinning and she's all confused, but then she starts to get that you've been doing this on purpose (you need a smart Tsundere, dumb Tsundere are no fun at all), then of course she's even madder at you (but usually more willing to forgive).

So then you become all contrite on her while making comments about how she's too much fun (and cute when she's angry- they hate that comment). Once she's starting to cool down a bit you hit her with an embarrassing compliment (I found that telling her she's got "a cute butt" seems very effective) and just watch her turn bright red and start stammering before walking off in a huff.

It's a blast... once you know where the danger lines are and once she knows you are going to stick around and aren't trying to use her. Of course, learning where those danger lines are and earning her trust in the first place- that's not nearly as much fun. I guess most guys aren't willing to put in the effort.

That and it requires a lot of self-confidence as a guy to deal with a Tsundere, and most guys who have that confidence are jerks who don't really care about the girl. Essentially you need a guy who is self-confident, kind, and has a warped sense of humor to boot.

If you want to see an anime that depicts more of what a real Tsundere romance is like (rather than the exaggerated ones like Louise and Saito) watch Cross Game.

Aoba is a lot like a real life Tsundere, and Kou is basically the exact type of guy that can handle one. (As opposed to the more common male leads of idiots and/or perverts).

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Sackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-28, 23:07   Link #23
LeoXiao
思想工作

I'm sure a lot of people have very tsundere elements to them, but of course nobody would adhere to it perfectly. My mother acts the role quite often, even saying things like "why the hell am I cooking for you parasite" when she's pissed off.
The tsundere archetype appeals to me on some basic level; I wonder if my mother being like that has any impact on my taste?
LeoXiao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-29, 00:00   Link #24
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sackett View Post

No... actually I dated and married one (31 years this summer, 35 if you count the courtship). Its a lot of work but I don't regret it at all. Crunchy on the outside, creamy on the inside, 149cm/44kg of spitfire . I suppose the problem is that its like playing a date-sim game with an option for "hardcore" mode like RPGs and FPSs have set to "ON".

Last edited by Vexx; 2010-04-29 at 02:14.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-29, 01:21   Link #25
KiNA
Kira_Naruto, the ecchi
*Graphic Designer

And I married a tsundere myself after dating her for almost 11 years .. ^w^

Osananajimi + Tsundere combo ..
>> Tsukiumi
>> Saeko Busujima
>> Himuka
>> Yui Kotegawa

KiNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-29, 03:13   Link #26
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:

Sure getting to know her is a real pain, but once you know her buttons it's a blast. You lead the conversation so you can make a comment that you know will set her off. She starts raging at you and you just play along until you can't hide your smile anymore. You start grinning and she's all confused, but then she starts to get that you've been doing this on purpose (you need a smart Tsundere, dumb Tsundere are no fun at all), then of course she's even madder at you (but usually more willing to forgive).

So then you become all contrite on her while making comments about how she's too much fun (and cute when she's angry- they hate that comment). Once she's starting to cool down a bit you hit her with an embarrassing compliment (I found that telling her she's got "a cute butt" seems very effective) and just watch her turn bright red and start stammering before walking off in a huff.

It's a blast... once you know where the danger lines are and once she knows you are going to stick around and aren't trying to use her. Of course, learning where those danger lines are and earning her trust in the first place- that's not nearly as much fun. I guess most guys aren't willing to put in the effort.

That and it requires a lot of self-confidence as a guy to deal with a Tsundere, and most guys who have that confidence are jerks who don't really care about the girl. Essentially you need a guy who is self-confident, kind, and has a warped sense of humor to boot.

If you want to see an anime that depicts more of what a real Tsundere romance is like (rather than the exaggerated ones like Louise and Saito) watch Cross Game.

Aoba is a lot like a real life Tsundere, and Kou is basically the exact type of guy that can handle one. (As opposed to the more common male leads of idiots and/or perverts).
Ironically, you sound a lot like Senjougahara who is often likened to tsunderes (though isn't actually a Tsundere)
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-29, 05:45   Link #27
MkMiku

It exists. My sister is one. Well, she is more Tsun Tsun than Dere Dere.
Old 2010-07-09, 13:00   Link #28
Vhaltz

Sorry if I'm digging out this thread out of nowhere, but I found it messing around with google trying to find a "how-to-handle-a-tsundere guide" or something of the sort.

I'm currently dating a tsundere. Yes, they exist xD the one I know and love isn't the kind that plays "I hate you", but rather has a hard time opening up and talking about certain things, to the point where she'll get depressed or angry.

So yeah, I normally wouldn't have registered, but Sackett's reply caught my eye. I've had that "cute when you're mad" situation before, but I don't push it or plan for it to happen like that xD mostly because intend to stick around with this girl for as long as I can (forever, if possible). The few times it's happened I remember quite clearly out of how fun they were, though.
Unfortunately, when she's being difficult to talk to (she'll jump if I use the wrong words, or just won't care about much of the stuff I say. I guess you could say she's willing to change for me when she's "dere" and couldn't give less of a damn when she's "tsun") I also get somewhat down, since I lack that self-confidence that Sackett mentioned ^^'

You might not be able to sit back and relax much if you date/love a tsundere (specially when you're convinced that she's your special one), but it's well worth it. I bet I could remember every word out of any of the times she's been truly sweet to me, it makes you feel so special that you feel like your heart could explode any second =)
Vhaltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-09, 13:29   Link #29
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Actually, going by how broadly the term "tsundere" is applied to fictional characters, I'd argue that a solid majority of all North American women (and possibly a solid majority of women worldwide, but I'll stick to the continent that I know best) could be called "tsundere".

The following is an argument I made about a year ago on the matter...

Increasingly, the following appears to be true of tsunderes:

They are any anime female character that...

1) Isn't a Yamato Nadeshiko

2) Has more overt personality than Yuki Nagato

3) Isn't entirely sweet, or entirely firm/rough/tough

In other words, the character could be harsh 90% of the time and sweet a mere 10% of the time, or sweet 90% of the time and harsh a mere 10% of the time, and still get labeled a tsundere.

Well, if this is the case, I don't see what makes the tsundere special at all anymore. Most girls, or for that matter, most people, have their harsh moments and their kind moments; it's called displaying a full range of emotions. :P
Old 2010-07-09, 15:11   Link #30
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
In other words, the character could be harsh 90% of the time and sweet a mere 10% of the time, or sweet 90% of the time and harsh a mere 10% of the time, and still get labeled a tsundere.

Well, if this is the case, I don't see what makes the tsundere special at all anymore. Most girls, or for that matter, most people, have their harsh moments and their kind moments; it's called displaying a full range of emotions. :P
I agree with you. Only regarding the numbers, the big difference is also context. That 10% has to be in private (don't necessarily mean that as "alone") and the other 90% has to be in public. Personally I don't think of characters that just sway between extremes as tsunderes.
Old 2010-07-09, 15:23   Link #31
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Well Triple R, I have gotten the impression that the Japanese assume any American woman is a tsundere by default.

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Sackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-09, 15:35   Link #32
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by felix View Post
I agree with you. Only regarding the numbers, the big difference is also context. That 10% has to be in private (don't necessarily mean that as "alone") and the other 90% has to be in public. Personally I don't think of characters that just sway between extremes as tsunderes.
That's a fair point. The tsundere is usually only sweet to the guy she likes during a private moment.

Quote:
Well Triple R, I have gotten the impression that the Japanese assume any American woman is a tsundere by default.
You could be right.

I read a manga once, though, where the female American transfer student was every bit as cheerful and moe as Ritsu from K-On! is. The name of the manga was... Midori Days (?)... if I remember correctly.
Old 2010-07-09, 18:43   Link #33
CeDeR
Inactive Member

Send a message via ICQ to CeDeR Send a message via AIM to CeDeR Send a message via Yahoo to CeDeR
Like someone already said tsundere in rl = Bipolar or just a b1tch.
CeDeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-09, 21:52   Link #34
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Most anime personality archetypes are "idealized and extreme" versions of real world counterparts. Archetypes don't actually exist, but real personalities can trend towards them. Real world tsundere (or any other type) would necessarily be more complicated than the "comic book representations" of them.
Old 2010-07-10, 11:31   Link #35
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Yea, real people aren't that simple. Though, I have a tendency to love and hate the same things.

For some reason seeing this thread makes me think "what if I started classifying everyone I see under a trope?"

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-10, 12:48   Link #36
Velsy

I'm Tsundere

It's not like I wanted to post here

Donated by Om Nerabdator
Velsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-11, 15:26   Link #37
Nukerjsr
Baka Inu~

Send a message via AIM to Nukerjsr
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Most anime personality archetypes are "idealized and extreme" versions of real world counterparts. Archetypes don't actually exist, but real personalities can trend towards them. Real world tsundere (or any other type) would necessarily be more complicated than the "comic book representations" of them.
It all goes on variety.

Some girls are that great balance, who are prickly on the outside and reserved, but over time they warm up and begin opening their shell for a bit. (Or let you inside it) Tsundere girls in real life strike me liked Helga from Hey Arnold! People who are generally irritable, but have their own personal issues to deal with and in privacy are very concerned and passionate about certain people.

Now, there are girls who are literally bipolar. Just the drop of a hat could make them angry or shouting at some random person. The only issue is that, I think it was called perfectly in this thread, in real life, it's never made as something cute or completely endearing as opposed to anime. ^^;

Funny though, in terms of animes, I have only seen tsunderes who are some-what realistic or just overly exaggerated (Mostly used for comic effect). But it oddly enough makes me think, I don't think I've ever seen a girl in an anime who was medically diagnosed of being mentally ill.
Nukerjsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-12, 02:25   Link #38
Kudryavka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
That's a fair point. The tsundere is usually only sweet to the guy she likes during a private moment.

You could be right.

I read a manga once, though, where the female American transfer student was every bit as cheerful and moe as Ritsu from K-On! is. The name of the manga was... Midori Days (?)... if I remember correctly.
JPNers have stereotyped us as loud and boisterous, not to mention tall and top heavy... We turn into tsunderes when we get more char development.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nukerjsr View Post
Funny though, in terms of animes, I have only seen tsunderes who are some-what realistic or just overly exaggerated (Mostly used for comic effect). But it oddly enough makes me think, I don't think I've ever seen a girl in an anime who was medically diagnosed of being mentally ill.
Because having mental disorders is not moe moe. Being tsundere, however, is.

This is why I like the tsunderes who start out somewhat closed, then open up, as opposed to the ones who just flip through emotional masks on a dime. Developing tsunderes in real life are something of a treat to come across, as long as their tsuntsun is just "You're asking about my personal life? I won't and shouldn't tell you" rather than the "DO NOT TALK TO ME DONT U C IM BUSY BEING A LONER AWAY FROM STOOPIDHOMO SAPIEN SAPIENS RAWR!!!!11" that can be cute in anime yet annoying or scary as hell in real life.
Kudryavka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-12, 03:09   Link #39
cyth
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komari View Post
Because having mental disorders is not moe moe.
You sure about that? <.<
cyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-12, 03:18   Link #40
Kudryavka

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyth View Post
You sure about that? <.<
Is having a deformity cute? On TV?
Kudryavka is offline   Reply With Quote